Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Studio 12 or Leslie 2101 mk2?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are very helpful, so thanks. Now I need to start looking for a great vintage leslie. Any suggestions in the San Francisco Bay Area or other trustworthy places to buy on-line? I'd want one that was restored at the highest quality level.

Oops. No. I forgot the link. I'd never use anything from Speakeasy.

http://www.trekii.com/UC1A.html

Could you elaborate? I had my problems with Steve RIP but their products are stellar.

I spent a bunch of money TWICE on gear that did absolutely nothing for my sound. ("Fool me once," etc. I should have known better but Steve assured me that the improvements to his original design would give me the sound I was looking for. They didn't.) The custom tube preamps were nothing but a glorified tone control. I never said anything publically while Steve was alive because he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. But that stuff is snake oil as far as I'm concerned.

So, I guess I should amend my original statement. "I'd never use anything from Speakeasy AGAIN."

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

There's a reason the Vintage Tube Cabinets are costly.

Their sound and control of the sound are what pleases guys.

I got a Studio 12 as I hadn't owned a Leslie in years and so wanted that sound back again.

The 12 just doesn't even get close to the old pre amps and the rotary effect.

Since I only need Hammond sounds on a few tunes I can cheese by with a VB3 and Melda MRotary.

Thankfully I have powerful hardware analog synths and effects so I am forgiven for my sins of not having the best Hammond sound you can get.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

And, on a somewhat related note, I bought a 22H today. :)

Nice :2thu: easily converted to a 122 if you can get your hands on a 122 amp and 2 speed motors, OR use the hamptone kit

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Slow motors? What are those?

said the man with the Leslie 45.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
reviving this thread, I have been playing my Crumar Mojo through my Leslie Studio 12 a lot lately and am very pleased with the results. As in, damn, this sounds really good. In the same space I also have a Neo Instruments Vent II routed through 2 pair of studio monitors, which, when used, sounds really, really, good, but not as good as the Leslie to my ears. Neither set up sounds as good as my Hammond A 100 into Leslie 142 but that is in another area of the crib which is not always as convenient and of course is inherently louder. I owned a Leslie 2101 (not the Mark II) and 2 Leslie 2121's until just recently. Happy I no longer own them . YMMV, of course. Just posting my observations.
:nopity:

• 1 year later...

And now I'm reviving this thread a year later.

I've been revisiting my options for amplifying my Mojo. Been using Space Station V3/Behringer sub, but intrigued by the Leslie Studio 12.

Dave, do you have any recordings of yourself playing Mojo through the Studio 12? The concern I keep reading about is that the bass may not suffice (at least for those of us who play bass in jazz organ context). But I'd love to be persuaded otherwise. Do you think I'd be happier with the Studio 12 than my current setup?

FWIW, I've been using an original 2101 on top of my Yorkville Blok 100K with my Nord C1 and Pedalkey 27 pedals and found that setup to be quite good overall and plenty of bass. Now that I have B3X on my iPad these may be headed for storage............ it's that good.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"