Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Chris, will the T10 allow use of multiple inputs at once?

Andy -

Yeah it has RCA inputs, 1/4" inputs and also XLR inputs ... I have been using the RCA and 1/4" inputs together (plugging iPhone into RCA via 1/8" - RCA cable and reserving the 1/4" ins for my keys)) with no problems and it sounds really good matched with the SS V3 ... I have 3 keyboards that I currently use live - a PX5S, PC361, and Korg MicroKorg. As others have eluded to, the PX5S has multiple inputs on it for external gear, so I plug my PC361 into the 1/4" inputs of the PS5S and I take the headphone out of the MicroKorg into the 1/8" inputs of the PX5S .... then I feed the Temblor T10 with 1/4" TRS outs from my PX5S ... then out of the T10 via the 1/4" line outs into the SSV3 ...

I'm trying to avoid having to carry another mixer so the easier I can do this all in one the better for me ... keeping it simple, maybe not the best way to do it but works for me so far ...

Chris

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

Wattage can be deceiving (and sometimes I believe it is intended to be deceiving). It certainly does NOT translate to "loudness". Case in point; ever played in a band with a guitar player using a 100 watt Marshall tube amp w/ a double stack? So then, was your 300 watt Roland amp three times louder? Or, could you even HEAR it?

I hear you there (see what I did), but my issue is not so much competing with the guitar player, it's my own sounds ting volume/power, still need mixer and probably sub. Lots of extra cables to dealcompeting with each other. I need more room for LH bass combined with a keyboard sound. When the two sounds start to distort it drives me crazy, especially with piano. But it happens with any LH bass/RH sound combo where I have to start cranking up, and other than going the crossover route, which I don't want to do, I need more breathing room, however that translates technically. Also I don't use that Roland by choice, I was using a Motion Sound before it stopped working.

For Hammond sounds it is unlikely that you will need a sub, or the Vent. Hammond's Leslie effect is great in stereo.

But for LH bass? i.e. the manual bass sound in the SK1? I've read in this very thread from users saying the low end was lacking, enough to recommend using a sub in conjunction.

Anyways having said all that, maybe this config could work:

Nord Stage and SK1 --> Mixer --> SSv3 (plus potential sub). Especially if the SK1 sim sounds as good as has been said. Still not as appealing as a single amp handling everything (not complaining, I totally understand the approach of the Space Station.)

(KBR-3D - great rotary sound, stereo, but breaks up with too much sound + volume. Plus I have one already if it gets fixed)

(KP-500 - plus VentII, stereo, probably can handle what I throw at it)

Both have great low end. Well I know the KBR3D does so the KP-500 probably does.

(SSv3 - assuming great rotary effect with leslie sim, and trus with every gig/rehearsal)

Dilemma.

Motion Sound is probably out of business again, trying to track down that amp (new).

Space Station is really really in business lol.

So neither amp is currently in stock.

Playing Nord Stage 2, Hammond XK1c, LH bass, with sax and drums

https://youtu.be/0-H0GRBWiM4?si=4PBofKIl5qD-we5p

But for LH bass? i.e. the manual bass sound in the SK1? I've read in this very thread from users saying the low end was lacking, enough to recommend using a sub in conjunction.

Right, one of them was probably from me. When I was doing the vid in Aspens studio with my SK1, I tried both the manual bass and the pedal bass. The SS and small sub handled the manual bass ok but not the pedal bass. I was playing pretty loud, it sounds like we have similar backgrounds. When I do LH bass which I haven't done much of lately, I get pretty strong and the pedal bass was distorting the $50 thrift shop sub Aspen was using. My comment was for that I would need a true pro level stage sub or powered PA speaker for that.

But, I've now done several full band bar gigs with a loud bass player and I was screaming on the B3 and piano stuff and the SS was right there. Sounded great with no sub. If I ever do get another LH bass gig I have my EV ELX or a Crate 200W 15" bass amp or my Barbetta Sona 41 might cut it too. I think either one of those would be fine for a small jazz/blues band with 100-200 people. If you're doing bigger and louder gigs than that then you'll need a real strong bass amp or sub.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

It's a matter of taste. I do like a lot of bass and may get a sub just to hear for myself but in small/medium venues the SS holds the bass well.

Also I play jazz/groove stuff with only trios and quartets, maybe the bass can be lost in larger groups.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Good to know guys, thanks. I'm not hearing back from my guy at Sweetwater regarding the amp I want, and I think it's time to move on from Motion Sound. The Traynor K4 looks like it might serve my all-in-one needs. Probably pick the Ventilator as well. In the future, a Space Station is definitely a possibility however.

Good to know guys, thanks. I'm not hearing back from my guy at Sweetwater regarding the amp I want, and I think it's time to move on from Motion Sound. The Traynor K4 looks like it might serve my all-in-one needs. Probably pick the Ventilator as well. In the future, a Space Station is definitely a possibility however.

The Traynor K4 is a stereo "pretender". The stereo effect is hardly noticeable. Besides I didn't like it for digitalpiano because it colored the sound in a very unpleasant way. BTW back then I had bought the Traynor K4 based on internet reviews. Big mistake.

But now the good news: I received my Spacestation V3 this week. I also bought it only based on the reviews here in the KC forum. What a good call! Blissfull auditory sensations! And it reproduces digitalpiano sounds pretty nicely. MUCH better than any keyboard amp I ever used. To my ears the basic sound quailty level is very similar to good active speakers. But the latter lack the CPS sensation. When you open the "Wide" control the stereo cloud just spreads everywhere. Very cool little speaker with big sound.

JMTC,

Tom

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Okay I'm pulling a 180. Too many trade offs with the K4. Potentially bad sound (especially piano), potential phasing, expensive, no real stereo, some reports of lackluster low end. All the positive reviews are several years old.

After all my talk to the contrary, I'm getting the Space Station. I had a gig two hours away today and put a lot of thought into it. I have to get the right small mixer, and find a way to have the mixer attached to the speaker (strong velcro perhaps), with shorty 1/4 inch cables from the mixer output to the speaker in, plus the right case. I can live with that set up. I'm willing to wait. My KBR3D might be fixed and will certainly hold me over until then. And until THEN, the KC550 will get me through gigs.

I can't pass up an amp that reportedly makes both B3/leslie and acoustic piano sound amazing.

I have to get a sub.

So which sub? There's room in my budget for a good one, but weight/portability is my concern.

Which mixer? Will this actually work - two stereo keyboards--> mixer--> stereo in to SSv3. I suppose the mixer solves the other problem of giving a sound guy a stereo output of my keyboards. (Obviously the mixer has to have a secondary stereo out, but most do) Otherwise mic'ing the SSv3 = two mics? Can the stereo "effect" of the amp translate to a PA or is that not an option...

SpaceStation owner here.

B3/Leslie is truly amazing (add to the list Rhodes, samples, stereo synth patches, etc.) Acoustic pianos are challenging for most any amplifier, and the SSv3 is no exception. I play heavy APs (Nord Piano 2), and the SSv3 is OK for most smaller gigs, but it's a compromise. Everything else is stellar.

Don't know about your playing style, but I'm AOK without a sub, as I don't do crazy bass synth lines nor left-hand bass. More than happy with the bass output of the unit.

The stereo effect takes a while to figure out. Amazingly effective in smaller rooms (like frickin' amazing) but as the size of the venue grows, tapers off a bit. Outdoors, not all that effective.

Bottom line: the SSv3 is now my go-to amp for smaller gigs and rehearsals. If it's a moderate sized venue, I bring my big toys. Your mileage may vary. The SSv3 is so damn good with B3 sounds that I'm actually considering bringing along two amplification systems: the SSv3 for my Nord E4D, and a pair of self-powered PAs for my acoustic pianos.

Just what I need, more gear to haul around.

I wouldn't try miking the SSv3. Best to get a modest $149 mixer with velcro straps as you propose. Plenty of good ones out there with FOH feeds.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a Yamaha MG06X - 6 channels, really compact, looks well made, Both 1/4 inch and XLR outputs.

LH bass player for many gigs, the sub will not only help with that but I expect give an overall larger sound when needed / more breathing room for the SSv3 for RH sounds.

Acoustic pianos are challenging for most any amplifier, and the SSv3 is no exception. I play heavy APs (Nord Piano 2), and the SSv3 is OK for most smaller gigs, but it's a compromise. Everything else is stellar.

It seems to me that the Nord Pianos are particularly challenging for amplifiers. I always wondered why my Stage 2 pianos sounded terrific in my homestudio but never on the road. I tried all kinds of stage monitors and amps with no success. Also, time and again FOH sound guys asked me what's wrong with my piano sound (Nord Stage 2) because they didn't get it right. No Nord bashing here but this is what I experienced. Other folks might have varying experiences.

I never had such problem with the so-called outdated PC3X pianos and also not with the new Casio PX5S. These two just sound good live, plug & play, not picky about amplification. Same is true for the PC3X or Casio PX5S pianos through Spacestation. It just sounds great, admittedly not excellent like B3 and all other sounds but still great. Only my pair of RCF TT08 adds a touch of silkyness and precision to pianos which the Spacestation doesn't. But for one thing the RCFs are six times more expensive and for another thing I so often didn't HEAR them good enough on many stages. On smaller stages or clubs it is simply impossible to place a pair of speakers in sweet spot. So in theory the RCFs would sound a tiny bit "better" for pianos but in the field they sound worse if no sweet spot. The Spacestation is definitely a game changer for me.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a Yamaha MG06X - 6 channels, really compact, looks well made, Both 1/4 inch and XLR outputs.

I use one of those myself - no complaints. I feed the speakers with the 1/4 jacks, and the PA with the XLR when I need a DI send.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I have to get a sub.

So which sub? There's room in my budget for a good one, but weight/portability is my concern.

Check out the disscussion on this thread about 10 pages back. I got the Behringer B1200-D Still waiting on my SSv3, but this seems to be a good match at a reasonable price.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Is there any reason I can't use a lighter, studio monitor for a live set up?

Like maybe the Yamaha HS8S (150W and 27lbs) or Behringer Nekkst K10S (180W) - this one is new, the weight isn't listed

A flat top is of course pretty important, that's where I want to put the SS.

There are many good studio monitors that would sound good for live pa work. But they typically don't have the rough coat finishes and handles.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Studio monitors typically cannot handle the transients and volume of a live performance, and are not built to handle the moving and handling.

Also, studio monitors are typically designed for near field applications, where speakers intended for live applications are usually designed to produce a much wider dispersion pattern.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I have been thinking of getting some new powered speakers to replace the old eons I have been using. I haven't been lurking here in a while, but this was the first place to check out for recommendations and reviews. Before I was finished reading this thread I placed an order for one last night. Thanks to all who have participated in this thread, and especially the ones who took the time to write a review.

One other factor in my decision to purchase this amp was Aspen's involvement here. His honesty and his offers of help to people sealed the deal for me (sorry, I don't remember user names, but specifically the one with a Bb hum, and the offer to the person in Sweden).

FYI, Sweetwater called today to inform me it was on backorder, there were several people ahead of my order, but they hoped to have the next shipment by the end of December. I look forward to receiving it.

Again, thanks to all.

I have been thinking of getting some new powered speakers to replace the old eons I have been using. I haven't been lurking here in a while, but this was the first place to check out for recommendations and reviews. Before I was finished reading this thread I placed an order for one last night. Thanks to all who have participated in this thread, and especially the ones who took the time to write a review.

One other factor in my decision to purchase this amp was Aspen's involvement here. His honesty and his offers of help to people sealed the deal for me (sorry, I don't remember user names, but specifically the one with a Bb hum, and the offer to the person in Sweden).

FYI, Sweetwater called today to inform me it was on backorder, there were several people ahead of my order, but they hoped to have the next shipment by the end of December. I look forward to receiving it.

Again, thanks to all.

Jass, Thank you for your post, it is humbling and I am VERY grateful for your confidence and support. I am 99% sure your order will be filled in SW's late December delivery. Last I checked, SW had about 60 units on back order and we will be delivering about 84...so you should be good.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Both would be just fine. I like the Berringer's power and 10", and the Yanaha 1/4" input jacks...other than that they seem about equal...except the price highly favors the Berringer (hate

Is there any reason I can't use a lighter, studio monitor for a live set up?

Like maybe the Yamaha HS8S (150W and 27lbs) or Behringer Nekkst K10S (180W) - this one is new, the weight isn't listed

A flat top is of course pretty important, that's where I want to put the SS.

I think either would be just fine and compliment the SS. On paper, I like the Berringer's higher power and larger 10" spk, but I like the Yamaha's 1/4" input jacks. Other than that they seem about equal in features.

Of course the price highly favors the Berringer (as usual), while the rep favors Yamaha.

But I have to admit I haven't tried either. I think I would like to start comparing subs (those currently available and not from the local swap meet like mine), and also mixers...seems like most of you are serious about getting one or both...which greatly improve the SS performance options.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

A small good quality mixer velcroed on top converts the Spacestation to a very nice keyboard amp. I am using a Yamaha MG82CX. This gives me five pairs of stereo input channels and pretty good SPX effects. And it fits perfectly on the SS V3. Never had a better keyboard amp!

But most of the time I don't even need a mixer because I am using both sets of audio inputs of the Casio PX5S.

I ordered my SSv3 a couple days ago and was told they are shipping again Dec 23.

Looks like I'll also pick up the Behringer sub. Two 40 lb speakers, may mean an extra trip, but each is very portable. Current Motion Sound amp is only one speaker, and has wheels, but still 70 lbs.

A small good quality mixer velcroed on top converts the Spacestation to a very nice keyboard amp. I am using a Yamaha MG82CX. This gives me five pairs of stereo input channels and pretty good SPX effects. And it fits perfectly on the SS V3. Never had a better keyboard amp!

That's good to know! The Yamaha MG06 has 3 stereo ins. (Nord Stage, SK1, and room for something extra like a KAOSS pad if needed.) Will velcro that piece on to the speaker with cables between the two.

Now I have to find a case fits the speaker and leaves some room on top where the mixer will be.

Also have to think about power management.

1 Nord

2 SK1

3 Gig-FX stereo wah pedal (wall wart)

4 SSv3

5 Behringer Sub

6 Mixer (prob wall wart)

1 Nord

2 SK1

4 SSv3

5 Behringer Sub

6 Mixer (prob wall wart)

I have countless wall marts (PX5s, SK1, Vent, etc.) I just leave them all plugged to a multiplug and put the whole thing into a little plastic basket. This eases the wall mart chaos. Only one piece to carry and I only need one jack to plug them all in. Very handy.

1 Nord

2 SK1

4 SSv3

5 Behringer Sub

6 Mixer (prob wall wart)

I have countless wall marts (PX5s, SK1, Vent, etc.) I just leave them all plugged to a multiplug and put the whole thing into a little plastic basket. This eases the wall mart chaos. Only one piece to carry and I only need one jack to plug them all in. Very handy.

I had an SKB pedalboard sitting around from my bass-playing days, so I mounted all my pedals (2 expression, 2 sustain), Ventilator, and a power strip with all the wall-warts for my setup. Works pretty well.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Like many here, I am anxiously awaiting shipment of my space station at the end of December. I have a question for those who have been gigging with the space station. Do you notice any difference in performance depending on which side of the stage you have the space station located? I was wondering if the side-firing speaker works better firing towards the middle of the room vs. firing directly towards a side wall.

Thanks.

I use one of those myself - no complaints. I feed the speakers with the 1/4 jacks, and the PA with the XLR when I need a DI send.

dB

So you can use both 1/4" outs and xlr outs at the same time ? I also have a SS on order for December delivery and am looking at small mixers. The yammie would be perfect if you can feed the SS from the 1/4 outs and also have a PA feed from the xlr's.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "