Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

To put it more concisely,how can I make the bottom two octaves of the SK2 lower manual sound only bass pedal drawbars while having the rest of the lower manual operate normally?

Hi Pa Gherkin,

try this:

-Push the'M.BASS' button on the front panel

-Go to: MENU->DRAWBAR->right arrow button to LOWER ZONE. Set LO 3C -- HI 6C

To put it more concisely,how can I make the bottom two octaves of the SK2 lower manual sound only bass pedal drawbars while having the rest of the lower manual operate normally?

JMcS and ziquo,thank you for your responses. Ziquo,your solution worked beautifully. I created a patch using the setup you suggested so I can reach that setup quickly without menu diving. Fortunately,the SK2 has more user patch spaces than I need so this works out very nicely. I should have been able to figure this out for myself but in my case,I guess too much manual reading and menu diving led to brain fade.

JMcS, Seems your solution would work as well but I didn't want to complicate my rig further since my SK's MIDI ports are already connected to a set of Ocean Beach drawbars that are dedicated to the lower manual.

Again, thank you both for your help. I think others will benefit from this info as well.

Hi Pa Gherkin,

try this:

-Push the'M.BASS' button on the front panel

-Go to: MENU->DRAWBAR->right arrow button to LOWER ZONE. Set LO 3C -- HI 6C

:thu:

This is why even those who think they know what they are doing should refer to the manual. This setting is in the Zones menu on the XK-3c. When I looked there on my SK-1 and didn't see it I assumed it had been dropped in the SKs. A look through the manual would have corrected me.

Question regarding custom tonewheel sets:

I downloaded Jim Alfredson's custom tonewheel set, and I love it. I'd like to set it as the default tonewheel set when I'm in Manual mode. Does anyone know how to do that, or what page in the user manual covers this?

Casio PX-5S, Casio PX-3, Hammond SK1, Roland XP-10, Classic MIDI Works AGO MIDI Pedalboard, Mainstage 3, Hauptwerk, Conn 8D

Previously owned: Yamaha DGX 230, Alesis Q88, Novation Impulse 61

Here's a cool one I found that helped me with a problem I was having.

I'm running my Roland FA08 midi out into the SK1. Out of the SK1 into a Novation Ultranova. Mainly for patch changes- the FA sends the patch to the SK, then in the SK I have a patch change being sent to the 'nova.

I was trying to work around a way to have the FA sequencer trigger the 'nova. Tried running the FA to 'nova and then midi thru on the 'nova to the SK, but while that solved the sequencing thing, it didn't work for patch changes going to the SK like it should. Some worked and some didn't for some reason.

Last night I was messing around with the Zone setups, and figured out if you set the external zone to be triggered by "lower", there you have it, the lower manual keyboard now triggers whatever is connected to the midi out on the SK. I had never played with that setting. I also found turning it to "off" or whatever that value is, I forget exactly what it's called, will still allow a program change to be sent out of the SK midi out to the connected keyboard, but will not cause the SK to trigger the sounds of the connected keyboard. In the past I've been setting the note range to prevent sounding the connected keyboard.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Brilliant! Thanks JMcS, it works with an SK-1 as well. Of course with LOCAL set to OFF (described, as you said, in p.114). The SK has also decent master keyboard features.

While experimenting I discovered a strange behavior: with LOCAL set to OFF without MIDI loopback, no sound is generated. Press SPLIT then M.BASS: the bass sound can be heard in the lower part below the split point, which is unexpected (because no MIDI information should be sent to the sound generators). Probably a bug to be reported to H/S.

• 2 weeks later...
Hammond SK2 through a pair of Yamaha DRX10 speakers.

[video:youtube]SeFjrlJmbWs

Yeah, saw this when you posted it somewhere else and aside from going to school on it for hours, I also wondered if you were using the Leslie Sim, or your vent...

Legend Live, SK-1, Leslie 2101, Spacestation v3, MX-49, and a ton of tube preamps....

:2thu: Sounds down and funky. Reverend Al would be proud. The DRX10's sound good with a surprising amount of bottom (unless you are also running sub). If that's the onboard Leslie Sim, you've got it dialed in and sounding sweet.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

This may be the wrong thread for this question but:

Is there a good wheeled bag for the SK2?

YES!!!

Clavias wheeled bag for Nord C1/2 fits perfect!!!

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Tonewheel set files are just the tonewheel setting data not the rest of the setup data. If you want to use the Leslie settings in a different file you would need to load that file into your SK and then load the tonewheel settings into that setup and save the setup. Make sure the patches you will be using have the new tonewheel set selected and then save the patches before saving the setup.

Horn

Slow: 36

Fast: 375

Lev: -2

Rise: 2.2

Fall: 1.4

Brak: 5

Char: Deep

Bass

Slow: 36

Fast: 393

Lev: 0

Rise: 7

Fall: 5

Brake: 10

Mic angle: 150

Distance: 1.5m - I set it to .6 as I like the close mic sound.

Here's the key click, percussion, and C/V settings as well.

Click- AT 9 RL 12 HPF 127

Perc- Soft 6 Norm 12 Slow Decay 7 Fast Decay 3

C/V- Rate 6.5 Trem 8 Emph 5 Mix 10V

Vib Depth C1 8 C2 11 C3 14

EQ Bass 0 Mid -9 Treb 0

EQ Freq Bass 200 Mid 400 High 4k

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I was referring to the tonewheel set in the Hammond website by jim. is there anywhere that has the leslie settings used by jim in the video clips he posted. thank you....Larry

Email me and I'll send you the setup file that contains my custom Leslie settings.

Yes I am. I have played through a number of amps, systems, Leslie cabs, with/without a Ventilator and always enjoy it. For my purposes, the sk2 has been great; organ on top and I set up all the other voices on the lower manual. My gigs do not require any synths, strings, horns...

Getting used to a single set of drawbars is not the end of the world as long as you can realize the sk2 is much more like a combo organ; setting up presets is the way to go. I have been transporting it with a Nord C1/C2 case I had after selling off my NC2. It never disappoints. Good luck with your decision. JoeyGB3NY.

are these the settings that jim is using.....Larry

Yes, he sent them to me a while back.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

New String Libraries:

http://hammondorganco.com/support/downloads/voice-libraries/

Hammond SK Voice Library

VL-SK019 "Symphonic Strings"

This voice library provides the sounds of a larger string ensemble such as a studio orchestra.

This library requires Software Release 3 (MAIN 1.112) or later.

Arco Strings:

A string ensemble consisting of 16 violins, 9 violas, 12 Celli, played bowed ("arco").

Arco Strings Dual:

Similar to Arco Strings, but with digitally enhanced Stereo effect.

Arco Strings Oct:

Similar to Arco Strings, but played in octaves (upper octave added).

Arco Strings oPcd:

Same basic voice as "Arco Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, open harmony which sounds according to the Lower Manual keys pressed.

Arco Strings cPcd:

Same basic voice as "Arco Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, 4-part closed harmony with the melody doubled 2 octaves below. The melody or "lead voice" will be slightly louder than the harmony or "fill voices."

Classic Strings:

A string ensemble consisting of 16 violins, 6 violas, 9 Celli, played bowed and with a slow attack and release.

Classic Strings Dual:

Similar to Classic Strings, but with digitally enhanced Stereo effect.

Classic Strings Oct:

Similar to Classic Strings, but played in octaves (upper octave added).

Classic Strings Big:

Similar to Classic Strings Oct, but with a lower octve added so that three octaves are playing simultaneously.

Classic Strings oPcd:

Same basic voice as "Classic Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, open harmony which sounds according to the Lower Manual keys pressed.

Classic Strings cPcd:

Same basic voice as "Classic Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, 4-part closed harmony with the melody doubled 2 octaves below. The melody or "lead voice" will be slightly louder than the harmony or "fill voices."

Classic / Arco Vsw:

This instrument is controlled by key velocity. A light touch will play the "Classic Strings," while a heavy touch will play the "Arco Strings."

Strings Pad:

A mellow string ensemble with no velocity. This instrument is designed to be used when long background chords are desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SOUNDS FEATURING "PROCHORD" FUNCTION

Extra Voice instruments that contain "Pcd" in their description feature Hammond's exclusive ProChord function. When notes or chords are played on a Lower Manual and a note is played on an Upper Manual, the note represented by the key played on the Upper Manual is heard along with a scored harmony pattern which sounds according to the Chord Root and Chord Type selected by the notes played on the Lower Manual.

Sk1, Sk1-73, Sk1-88:

The SPLIT feature must be enabled (SPLIT Touch Tab is ON) and a note or chord played to the left of the Split point in order for the

harmony to sound when notes are played to the right of the Split point.

Sk2:

A note or chord must be played on the Lower Manual in order for the ProChord harmony to sound when notes are played on the Upper Manual.

On both the Sk1 and Sk2, the harmony will sound ONLY if Lower Manual notes are pressed and held while the melody is played.

If no Lower Manual notes are held, only the Melody note will sound.

Also, when a ProChord Extra Voice is selected, the Upper Manual becomes monophonic - if a chord is played with the right hand, only one key will play. Therefore, when using Prochord play a single-note melody.

Hammond SK Voice Library

VL-SK020 "Symphonic Strings 2"

This voice library provides the sounds of a medium-size string ensemble.

This library requires Software Release 3 (MAIN 1.112) or later.

Marcato Strings:

A string ensemble consisting of 10 violins, 6 violas, 9 celli.

Marcato Strings Dual:

Similar to Marcato Strings, but with digitally enhanced Stereo effect.

Marcato Strings oPcd:

Same basic voice as "Marcato Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, open harmony which sounds according to the Lower Manual keys pressed.

Marcato Strings cPcd:

Same basic voice as "Marcato Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, 4-part closed harmony with the melody doubled 2 octaves below. The melody or "lead voice" will be slightly louder than the harmony or "fill voices."

Pizzicato Strings:

A string ensemble consisting of 10 violins, 6 violas, 9 celli, played "pizzicato" or plucked.

Pizzicato Strings Oct:

Similar to Pizzicato Strings, but played in octaves (upper octave added).

Pizzicato Strings oPcd:

Same basic voice as "Pizzicato Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, open harmony which sounds according to the Lower Manual keys pressed.

Pizzicato Strings cPcd:

Same basic voice as "Pizzicato Strings" but with ProChord ("Pcd") added. The ProChord harmony pattern is, 4-part closed harmony with the melody doubled 2 octaves below. The melody or "lead voice" will be slightly louder than the harmony or "fill voices."

SOUNDS FEATURING "PROCHORD" FUNCTION

Extra Voice instruments that contain "Pcd" in their description feature Hammond's exclusive ProChord function. When notes or chords are played on a Lower Manual and a note is played on an Upper Manual, the note represented by the key played on the Upper Manual is heard along with a scored harmony pattern which sounds according to the Chord Root and Chord Type selected by the notes played on the Lower Manual.

Sk1, Sk1-73, Sk1-88:

The SPLIT feature must be enabled (SPLIT Touch Tab is ON) and a note or chord played to the left of the Split point in order for the harmony to sound when notes are played to the right of the Split point.

Sk2:

A note or chord must be played on the Lower Manual in order for the ProChord harmony to sound when notes are played on the Upper Manual.

On both the Sk1 and Sk2, the harmony will sound ONLY if Lower Manual notes are pressed and held while the melody is played.

If no Lower Manual notes are held, only the Melody note will sound.

Also, when a ProChord Extra Voice is selected, the Upper Manual becomes monophonic - if a chord is played with the right hand, only one key will play. Therefore, when using Prochord play a single-note melody.

in the Hammond website, Jim Alfredson has two tonewheel sets to download. a 1954 B1 and a 1954 B2. does anyone know what tonewheel set he uses for demos on this site. if someone could please help me. I am very computer illiterate. I have a computer guy coming over to my house to show me how to unzip a file. could some one please walk me step by step as how to load the tonewheel set into my sk1. very much appreciate it and thanking in advance.......Larry

New String Libraries:

Thanks for that - do wish Hammond would put some audio demos by the downloads though, making it easier to assess whether it's worth messing downloading and installing.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

After formatting a USB drive in your SK there should be a folder named "twheel".

Make sure your SK has the latest OS update (Rel 8) installed.

If it doesn't, install it.

Copy the unzipped tonewheel set file(s) to that directory.

After inserting the USB drive in your SK, power it on.

Scroll up in the menus to the Custom TW menu page (Pg. 87 #2). There should be a left arrow in the display (not shown in manual because tonewheel set saving/loading was added after the manual.

Have the set that you want to replace selected and then arrow to the left. (So you remember which one later.)

You should be able to scroll up and down to the set you want to load if there are more than 1 files in the directory. Scroll to the one you want to load and select it/press enter. This will take you to a screen where you can scroll through the tonewheel set locations to select the one you want to replace. Select the one you had active earlier and load the replacement set to that location.

Good Luck.

in the Hammond website, Jim Alfredson has two tonewheel sets to download. a 1954 B1 and a 1954 B2. does anyone know what tonewheel set he uses for demos on this site. if someone could please help me. I am very computer illiterate. I have a computer guy coming over to my house to show me how to unzip a file. could some one please walk me step by step as how to load the tonewheel set into my sk1. very much appreciate it and thanking in advance.......Larry

For the record, those are both modeled after my 1954 C2 (not sure why Hammond says it's a B2... it doesn't really matter) and one is for the BTypeI tonewheels and the other is for the BTypeII.

New String Libraries:

Thanks for that - do wish Hammond would put some audio demos by the downloads though, making it easier to assess whether it's worth messing downloading and installing.

+1... Especially given the limited memory.

To be fair, the same can also be said for other KB manufacturers who offer downloadable sound libraries.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

This may be the wrong thread for this question but:

Is there a good wheeled bag for the SK2?

YES!!!

Clavias wheeled bag for Nord C1/2 fits perfect!!!

Anbody know of the SMALLEST, LIGHTEST bag, wheeled or unwheeled that the SK-2 will fit in?

Legend Live, SK-1, Leslie 2101, Spacestation v3, MX-49, and a ton of tube preamps....