Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Viscount Physis K4 & K5 MIDI controllers

• 1 month later...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

And here we are a whole 7.5 months later since the previous post and still noting on these models?

Also wanted to add to this thread that the overall design is really still last generation as the physical faders and possibly all of the other buttons and knobs won't respond to MIDI Feedback. Very important for all of us computer based gigging musicians hoping to keep our computer screens off our keyboard stands. In this regard your preferred midi keyboard and something like a quneo is actually way more functionality.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

Fantastic specs on these controllers. I only see two problems:

- Why in the world almost *every* manufacturer is thinking that if a musician is buying a 73/76-key controller, he or she wants a lighter action?! I'd like a 76 with the FULL weighting, please.

- Even bigger one: NO ONE IS MAKING MODULES ANYMORE except for Roland and some Clavias. So you either use a computer or Receptor, or you will find little use for a controller.

Fantastic specs on these controllers. I only see two problems:

- Why in the world almost *every* manufacturer is thinking that if a musician is buying a 73/76-key controller, he or she wants a lighter action?! I'd like a 76 with the FULL weighting, please.

I wonder about that too but the reality is it´s their excuse offering a cheaper model to the masses.

I doubt cutting some keys from a fully weighted action makes a significant cheaper production run.

- Even bigger one: NO ONE IS MAKING MODULES ANYMORE except for Roland and some Clavias. So you either use a computer or Receptor, or you will find little use for a controller.

I know tons of keyboardplayers owning MIDI modules from the past.

There is some other "problem" I recognize,- today there isn´t any use for 8 physical MIDI I/Os anymore especially when there are also USB ports in the ballpark.

Now, when they´d go w/ only 2 physical MIDI I/Os and USB ports, they´d eventually be able to offer a fully weighted 76 keys action.

It won´t happen, but it shows, most cut costs at the wrong end.

A.C.

I see a third; 128 performance memories. I have programmed over 2000 PC3 setups since 2008... Any respectable controller should have 512 or 1024 memory slots, IMHO. :)

Why did you program 2000+ setups for PC3 ?

Because of MIDI program change and MIDI CC transmission/routing to modules being connected or mainly because "setup" is the king in a PC3 also soundwise ?

Have in mind the K4/5 controllers master 256 MIDI channels simultaneously and PC3 only 16.

I don´t know HOW they do it exactly, but there are 8 MIDI ports which typically represent 128 MIDI channels if all ports are totally independent and there are 4 USB ports,- 64MIDI channels theoretically possible w/ each = 256 MIDI channels.

So,- only ONE performance memory slot controls much more than 1 setup in a Kurzweil.

Anyway, before I´d decide to buy such controller I need to know how the actions feel in the different models, does it have a stable OS and is it great build quality or not.

Many knobs and sliders are welcome, but quality ones only please.

A.C.

• 10 months later...

FWIW This is the ultimate controller.

I have been using custom made MIDI devices from the Scope DSP platform for years as there was no hardware or Native equivalent for target and destination, message types, lag (drawbar speed) and curve modifiers, conversions, etc.

This controller has it all and in hardware.

Every knob, slider, pedal, switch, fader and button can add custom MIDI actions.

Each MIDI Output and USB Port have separate MIDI Filters, converters.

My head is spinning from the endless options this incredible piece of hardware has. It doesn't need anything added that I can see.

Even the LCD has options for viewing at varying angles for out of control MAC and PAR Lamps, contrast degrees.

I am impressed with the manual, which is of the caliber expected with such an excellent controller.

I can get rid of so much gear I currently use.

QuNexus / BCF 2000 / 4 x different MIDI Solution Pedals + the F8 / and the damn fine Casio PX-3S that has served me so well over the years.

The old Programmable Velocity Curves even have some new twist to them, using Virtual Instrument Tables.

I can't quite understand until I get the unit, but it seems that each Instrument get their own assigned port, and when a Performance is made the the name of the virtual instrument shows up already with a port assignment.

Enough already, report back in 2-3 weeks after I had some time with it.

One more thang.........(Columbo)

128 Performances, 4 scenes for each.

This is great as songs require PRGM Changes, but nice you send 1 x Prgm chnge i.e. 128 is 3 x button pushes, but now that you have this selected, each scene only requires an F1/2/3 or F4 button push.....sweetness.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

What is it with Italian business? Is there hope of this ever being available as their website isn't even working? At least as of right now.

Click "Enter" after you have reached their splash page.... Nothing.

physispiano.com

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Does look like the perfect controller. Does anyone here have plans on buying one? Maybe waiting for NAMM to actually see one in person?

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

hardware gets it totally right.

128 performances:

actually, it's 128 x 4.

each PERFORMANCE has 4 SCENES.

1 SCENE can handle up to 8 zones (= sounds/outputs).

In other keyboards you might need to save these 4 different multisetups in 4 different locations.

In K4/K5 you have everything at a glance and can quickly change between them.

think of: Intro, Verse, Chorus, Outro.

Virtual Instruments:

you can create "virtual instruments" and define things as you wish and save these settings.

think of gear you regularly use.

when creating a PERFORMANCE you can call up this pre-designed virtual instrument.

In the EDIT-mode for ZONES the outputs MIDI I/O, USB and these virtual instruments are available. you now can choose this VI (virtual instrument).

maybe you have named it JUPITER-80 before - if so, you see JUPITER-80 in the list among MIDI Output 18, USB Device and so on.

saves time.

The new firmware was released in october. great new & unique features.

I have the K4 EX and I'm doing demo shows over here in Germany/Europe.

If anyone has more questions feel free to hit me up.

I think chances are high that you can get to see it at NAMM :)

And a review in KEYBOARD MAGAZINE will surely follow soon, too.

www.robert-karasek.com

Keyboard - Media - Consulting - Education

Share that video of you from Messe.

It's a great way to differentiate the indoor guys from the live folks, meaning this isn't necessary for recording and editing tracks, more like a luxury.

But live..........

This Dog Will Hunt.

hardware - your wish is my command :)

K4 explained at trade show MUSIKMESSE Frankfurt 2014 in good audio quality - but poor english :-D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBk9eM1pRVc

I think there are some more videos on youtube.

David Bryce from Keyboard Magazine stopped by the booth very early, too.

So, the video should be online, as well...

www.robert-karasek.com

Keyboard - Media - Consulting - Education

A 76+ key synth action board on this any controller would be so cool.

Fixed.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 3 weeks later...

This is amazing (for me) I have a ton of old midi rack mount synths. This will be my next keyboard.

2 Korg M3-73's, Korg WS AD, Radias, , Kurz PC3LE7, Alesis QS6 + QS7.1 used for MIDI controllers. Omnisphere, Alchemy, Painoteq, Spacestation Amp and Berringer 14" sub

These controllers look very exciting to me, and the fact that Kraft appears to be able to get them in the US is amazing! Not cheap, but I wouldn't expect a controller with this feature set to be cheap - oh how I miss the Kurzweil MIDIBoard or the Yamaha KX88.

On a similar topic, Infinite Response is working on getting the cost of their VAX77 down to about $1200. Maybe we'll see something from them soon as well.

http://www.infiniteresponse.com

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The price is very fair.

After reading the manual I confirmed my suspicions.

This is meant for people wanting to control hardware FX, hardware rackmounted analogs, VST hosted instruments and USB Merlin style lights with simplicity.

I don't use the Oberheim MC3000d/MC3000 anymore due to sheer weight when cased up.

I will keep the 3000 but the MC3000d is sold to help finance my end of year insanity where all cash is spent.

Got 600 bucks for it since there aren't many around.

17 years of use and I lost 100 bucks. Farewell old friend.

I expect Physis K4 will last as long.

http://s28.postimg.org/nlm4k0qil/desktop.jpg

post image online

The physis is still way too expensive for a controller. Still around $2600 out here (Oz) for the 76 note version.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

$2600 is not too expensive for a controller. Keyboard players have just given up on professional instruments.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The physis Mercedes CLS is still way too expensive for a controller car. Still around $2600 $280,000 out here (Oz) for the 76 note AMG version.

:snax:

Nah...you can do better.... 6/10 :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• 2 months later...
Checked out the specs. It has a drawbar organ but am not sure if the 9 sliders can act as drawbars for the drawbar organ. Also like the Roland VR series, no aux outs to split the organ. So even panning all instruments left and organ right, stereo effects will still bleed through the right channel. Separate aux outs would have been nice. Also, 9 sliders transmit on odd CC numbers and there is no indication that they can be reassigned. Bummer for me, I was digging this....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Drawbars can be inverted.

FWIW Kraft Music sells these w/o the Children's Bundle for 2100 USD.

This controller is a God send.

I use custom made CC# Devices in the Scope DSP Platform for live work, so I simply apply a CC# 96 to one and it will then control as many other CC's as I wish to use.

In the case below, I have presets for every style of drawbar swelling I need.

The Target and Destination can have speed set with curve modifiers, and lag processors so the swells can be exactly where you wish each drawbar to start and end, as well as their speed and return rates.

Uriah Heep/Boston/Argent, all players had different combinations, sounds and uses, so these come in handy.

I get whatever swell I want by sending a Prgm.Chng. message then stomp down and pull back on the FCV 100 Expression pedal. You do not need to "feel" your way, the feel is already set in the DSP Device, just stomp on it, then pull it back.

The rotary speed, vibrato, stop rotor, perc, all 13 other VB3 parameters I need are quickly accessed.

Even have CC# 99 on the MRotary gain as a negative value so when I return to a percussiive less drawbar sound, the volume is equal to the drawbars at full swell. Separate Master Volume for the Scope XITE-1 Mixer covers overall volume, and the B1200D and SSv3 with slightly wide settings sound like a kick ass Rotary/Doppler stack from Hell.

Also in Kontakts' Session Horns, they hard wired the Do-iT's and Falls to the PBend Wheel. At first I thought it was a drag as I often do Hammond/Rhodes or Upright Piano with Horns, no time for the Jan Hammer one hand solo stuff.

But I took the 1st switch on the dual switch FS-6 assigned it to pedal 3 on the K4 using PITCH in the Zone area (also where all pedals are calibrated and set up) gave it a value of 64 (no PBend) then a negative value of 30 (as I wanted Falls not rises) and the perfect amount of Fall with proper speeds is now a simple step and release movement, no need to hit twice for toggle or any other wasteful moves, the K4 does everything you can possibly think of. Actually made me a MIDI mad man using the MC3000 for years, but the K4 made me step it up even more.

If you play live and do more than B3 Piano stuff, this Dog Will Hunt.

http://s9.postimg.org/6e2c7xh6n/untitled1.jpg

upload picture