Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2640158 - 11/12/14 08:35 PM Limits of use for Yamaha keyboard styles in recordings
John W Offline

Hi everyone; first post. Hope I'm in the right subforum with my question.

I've written some handbell arrangements of Christmas carols that use a Yamaha PSR-S900 keyboard as "band in a box" with a number of its pre-programmed styles (Easy Country, Irish Dance, Medium Jazz, etc.) driving the chords, transitions, and so forth, to accompany the handbells.

My question is: To what extent can I sell the accompanying track made with the S900?

I had the idea of selling my sheet music and a CD with the accompaniment tracks. The carols are public domain, and my handbell arrangements are original. But when I look in the S900 manual, I see this:

Quote:
This product incorporates and bundles computer programs and contents in which Yamaha owns copyrights or with respect to which it has license to use othersí copyrights. Such copyrighted materials include, without limitation, all computer software, style files, MIDI files, WAVE data, musical scores and sound recordings. Any unauthorized use of such programs and contents outside of personal use is not permitted under relevant laws. Any violation of copyright has legal consequences. DONíT MAKE, DISTRIBUTE OR USE ILLEGAL COPIES.

It doesn't make sense to me that I'd buy a keyboard for "my personal use" and just keep it far away from any microphones for fear that I might record something off of it.

But is that what the clause above means?

This is my first time venturing into arranging and (possibly) selling my work, and I want to do it by the book. I'm hoping that there is someone who's traveled this road here.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by John W (11/12/14 08:37 PM)

#2640195 - 11/13/14 04:39 AM Re: Limits of use for Yamaha keyboard styles in recordings [Re: John W]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I had a whole post written here and my computer crashed. frown

I doubt it. I think that refers to things like the songs the PSR comes with. I see in the manual it comes with stuff from Beauty and the Beast for example. I think that's the kind of thing they were talking about.

Apple ships tons of Apple Loops with their software like GarageBand, and you can use them, royalty-free, as you wish.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2931

I would suspect the same of Yamaha.

#2640512 - 11/14/14 07:58 AM Re: Limits of use for Yamaha keyboard styles in recordings [Re: Joe Muscara]
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
I think that refers to things like the songs the PSR comes with.

And, also, the sound libraries and whatnot. I'm sure Yamaha wouldn't be pleased if you sold their sounds to all the kids on your block so their Behringer keyboards could sound just like a PSR-S900.

Or, perhaps more importantly, if Behringer itself decided to make and sell an almost-but-not-quite-physically-the-same copy of the S900 with an exact copy of the computer code, MIDI files, sound library, etc. Not that Behringer would ever do anything like that. hitt

Moderator:  nursers