Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo Review - Gig Tested

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember that changing the Tonewheel set using the GUI interface is not a permanent change... Tonewheel set is one of the parameters that is overriden by the control panel.

Also, just to be clear on changing Tonewheel sets.. You press shift to enter edit mode then press upper preset 1 and 2 to increment and decrement Tonewheel sets, and then you press shift again to exit edit mode.. You don't press shift and preset keys simultaneously.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted Royal.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I use QSC K10's with my Mojo and it sounds fantastic.. I have not tried the mode where right/left splits to treble/bass, I may try that this week.. If I do I will let you know how it sounds.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

• 4 weeks later...
Crumar uses GSI VB3, but a newer version than what you can buy separately. One major enhancement is that you can choose from among 20 different vintage Hammond models to emulate.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Does Crumar sound similar to GSI VB3?

Yes, but no. VB-3 v1.4 (the latest stand alone version you can buy) sounds fantastic, but VB-3 v2.x (available only on Mojo or Hamichord hardware) betters it in almost every way.

I regularly play both of them a lot. I would put it this way: v1.4 is like a great Rolling Stones song on AM radio. It sounds fantastic, and you don't really miss anything - UNTIL you play v2, which is like suddenly moving to FM radio. It is better in almost every way.

v1.4 - great leslie sim, chorus vibrato, percussion, overdrive, and key click. It has 3 organ models, of which I prefer the C-3.

v2.x - improved rotor definition, fully adjustable chorus vibrato, even better percussion, even better overdrive, and fully adjustable key click. Then there are the 20 built in organs, which allow me to find the one that is balanced just the way I love.

Moe

---

C'mon Guido! Where is the VST version of VB3 v2.0?

Do it right :) Pony up some cash for the Exp Edition for your Hamichord. Not only will you have the sound you want but you make your Hamichord a complete factory instrument.

Hey it's a trip turning on a Hamichord with full B3 interface with the VB3-2.

(about those previous comments about the quality of the VB3-2 you should hear it out of a 3300. I am addicted to the Leslie use of the VB3-2 even though I own QSCs . . then again if you catch Monaco on the road with his Mojo you can hear the VB3-2 out of a 3300 . . sounds ridiculous . . meaning good)

W.

C'mon Guido! Where is the VST version of VB3 v2.0?

Do it right :) Pony up some cash for the Exp Edition for your Hamichord. Not only will you have the sound you want but you make your Hamichord a complete factory instrument.

Hey it's a trip turning on a Hamichord with full B3 interface with the VB3-2.

(about those previous comments about the quality of the VB3-2 you should hear it out of a 3300. I am addicted to the Leslie use of the VB3-2 even though I own QSCs . . then again if you catch Monaco on the road with his Mojo you can hear the VB3-2 out of a 3300 . . sounds ridiculous . . meaning good)

W.

I use all software instruments live, so I will always have a laptop at shows. Thus, I still feel the EXP-Edition is a waste for me. He will release it soon.

I use all software instruments live, so I will always have a laptop at shows. Thus, I still feel the EXP-Edition is a waste for me. He will release it soon.

I hope so. I want a copy too as a laptop backup HOWEVER I have been hearing this since January 2011 when I heard he was releasing a "play version" like the HE.

Perhaps Guido can definitively clear this up with an accurate ETA.

Unfortunately and I am sure a major concern: when he releases it there will be very likely pirated cracked versions all over the internet. This was a factor that killed further B4II (to III or IV) development, imho, though this is a hardware part (sound engine for keyboard) too.

Quite a responsibility and concern I would think considering the quality, imo, This is for intents and purposes a Hammond organ not a "close" Hammond organ one would be putting out there in much larger numbers than hardware upgrades.

Protection works probably much better scanning for proprietary hardware. Big problem I would think.

It would be, imo, like Elvio putting the KeyB sound engine out there. Though perhaps as a competitor, he would love-it to see the Mojo sound engine out there in masses as inexpensive software. (no need to cite reasons).

Having said all of the above it may still be 'go', obviously

W.

• 9 months later...

I am considering upgrading to a Mojo, and found this thread (great thread BTW). I have two questions, if you would be so kind.

1. Was the software ever upgraded so that the Rhodes or Wurli could be played at the same time as a B3, rather than the Vox?

2. Have those that bought the Mojo still as happy with their purchase, or has anyone encountered any problems?

I only ask, as it is nearly a year on, and I wondered if things had changed

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• 4 months later...

1. I doubt it. It only has VGA out, I believe. I don't think any laptops have VGA *in,* but I could be wrong about that. Fortunately, monitors can be had for cheap nowadays.

2. There's no reason you cannot. It's just MIDI, you'd need to connect MIDI out from Mojo to MIDI in on your computer, and thus would need whatever cables and interfaces for that. MIDI-over-USB should do it.

3. Technically, the Mojo uses the Fatar waterfall action, which I believe is the same in the SK1. It should physically feel similar, but that feel can be affected by latency, trigger points, etc. That said, most here seem to feel the Mojo feels really good with the latest updates for the high trigger point, only being surpassed by real Hammond tone wheel organs.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

VGA monitors are so passe. It would be great if Guido enabled VNC in an update, so you could access the screens from your laptop or iPad. (Though I don't know for a fact that the embedded Windows or particular hardware in the Mojo would support it.)

Can I play virtual electric pianos on my computer from the Mojo?

In addition to what Joe said, people sometimes seem to forget that Mojo has some EP sounds built in as well.

most here seem to feel the Mojo feels really good with the latest updates for the high trigger point, only being surpassed by real Hammond tone wheel organs.

I don't think that's really the consensus.

AFAIK, the only companies that make waterfall actions are Roland, Fatar, and Hammond (they use their own in the XK3C); and from what I've seen, people who have played the Roland or the non-Fatar Hammonds generally prefer them to the Fatar; and then within the Fatar based boards, people seem to find them more or less the same, except that Nord modifies theirs to have significantly more spring tension and is generally seen as worse than the others.

So I'd say that a closer consensus is: best action = Roland or Hammond (non-Fatar models); after those two, the non-Nord Fatars (incl. Mojo); then Nord.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I just came across your thread about the muddy tone on the mojo , I,ve noticed the same thing down where I would play left hand chords , it doesn't have as much body to it as compared to

the keyb sound engine , I really hear the difference in the stage mix ( I play through a 3300 ), by the way , a lot of that extra leakage seems to go away when you turn off the mojo's internal sim and the tone gets a little more present also , it

sounds better through a vent anyway , from what i gather it sounds like the new upgrade coming from crumar may address

the tone issue , guido hinted at it when I brought up this issue on another thread , the new OS will be ready soon I think

Bill, two things..

First, the Mojo update is supposed to be out next week (based on a Facebook comment made by Guido earlier this week).. second, the way I read your post it sounded as if you're playing through a 3300 with the internal sim turned on.. assuming that's the case you should turn it off.. That could account for muddy tone, and odd phasing, harmonic beating.. etc.

Craig MacDonald

when I'm using the 3300 course I have the internal sim off , I'm aware of that , I was talking about a certain clarity of tone maybe down in the midrange , to my ears ,for lack of a better term, it lacks a certain amount of body or heft . over headphones , to me , it seems to get a little more heft to it when the sim is disabled ,which one reason why I prefer the vent

when I'm not using a leslie . anyway , thanks for your response , I'm looking forward to the update for sure

• 8 months later...

Zombie thread alert, but hey, it's just been Halloween... As some of you know, my beloved B3-P is no more. At first I didn't know if my insurance company would come through, and since I'm going on tour on Sunday I bought a Mojo. It's been on my to get-list for some time, and now was indeed the time. I have to say that I'm more than happy with it. I choose an A-100 tonewheel set and boosted the treble, and indeed it sounds, and almost feels and plays like my A-100..! The internal sim is great (I have to give the Ventilator the edge, but that could be because I'm so used to it) and trough the 3300 it SCREAMS. It's got the fast attack and fat tone a real tone wheel through a tube Leslie gives you, as well as the airy quality that makes a real Hammond sit so well in a mix. Of course it doesn't respond exactly like a B3 since it doesn't have 9 keyboard contacts, but its real close.

With the B3-P I can play more dynamically and play with velocity, but this is almost as good. And in my taste MUCH better than any other clone I've tried (I've tried most of them). Then again I can be biased since I've been using VB3 in my Receptor for eight years now - but this is a whole other level. I have a NOS telefunken in my 3300, and I feel that the Mojo overdrive does as good a job. Pair this with a Space Station for the ultimate in portability and sound..!