Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Taking photos of buildings seems quite tricky. All sorts of distortions occur and it seems hard to counteract this. If anyone has any tips about photographing buildings I would be extremely interested to hear them. :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep looking at those wonderful outdoorsy photos and thinking "I wonder what that picture would SOUND like if it was a composition."

Jealous of the skies across the pond. Even in remote areas everything here is just grey and cloudy. Seeing stars is a novelty.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Taking photos of buildings seems quite tricky. All sorts of distortions occur and it seems hard to counteract this. If anyone has any tips about photographing buildings I would be extremely interested to hear them. :)
It can be difficult because you're usually on the ground and the building is many stories up. Even if you can get elevated such as in another building across the street, then you get distortions the other way. I would suggest that instead of fighting it, you use it. Sometimes you get something really cool that way.

P.S. That's a really wild building!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It can be difficult because you're usually on the ground and the building is many stories up. Even if you can get elevated such as in another building across the street, then you get distortions the other way. I would suggest that instead of fighting it, you use it. Sometimes you get something really cool that way.

P.S. That's a really wild building!

Thanks Scary Joe. That sounds a good way of approaching it. I will bear that in mind in future. :)

Glad you like the building. It was AMAZING. I photographed it from every possible angle. Prague is a stunning city full of so many beautiful & interesting buildings that it is quite overwhelming.

A decade ago I used a HP cam to make this panorama (multiple pictures stitched together by some software):

http://www.theover.org/Diary/Ldi29/Stitched_001b1m.JPG

It's in the Hague, where I was born and raised.

T.V.

Interesting picture Theo. :)

Buildings are... big! To get the entire building in frame on, say, a standard 50mm lens, you have to be a decent distance away from the building. In a city, that's not always possible with tightly packed streets and other buildings all around.

So, you need to use a wide-angle lens in most cases to capture the building from a reasonable distance. Since you are close to the building (compared to its height) perspective is altered and you end up with converging verticals (very prominent on buildings, which tend to be linear). Wide angle lenses also introduce barrel distortion which can exaggerate this effect.

So, how do you fix this? In the old days before Photoshop, everything was done moving the lens relative to the film. Architectural photographers like Ezra Stoller used a view camera, which allowed them to manipulate the focal plane to correct for these issues. If you were using a 35mm film camera, then a tilt-shift lens would allow you to achieve similar results.

Nowadays, these perspective corrections are easily done in Photoshop or Lightroom, with very convincing results. Compared to using a tilt shift lens, though, you lose some of the image due to the digital manipulation, so your effective resolution of the final image is lower, and your original composition will be altered. Here is an example:

[video:youtube]pFsAxkcjFEM

Of course, sometimes converging verticals are desired. And close up shots of buildings can be very interesing!

Richie, thank you so much for all that info & the video. I did not know it was possible to make adjustments like that. I have not got photoshop, but I looked at my wonderful Leonardo app and it also does it - and it seems very straightforward & simple to do. I shall begin experimenting as soon as I get time. :)

I also like the idea of intentionally creating interesting effects using the distortion, but it is nice to also have the choice to adjust it sometimes. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful pic Mike. :) Did you have to adjust the perspective on it at all?

Thank you.

No, I shot that with my 85mm lens which doesn't need that kind of correction.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

A couple of minor experiments here:

First, a photo shot in RAW and then tinkered with in Paint.net to pop the colors and sharpen things a bit:

14946960094_3ba2c5924d_c.jpg

Fall on the Jeff City Sub by wjw0608, on Flickr

...and then, fun with selective color.

15498734896_86ebfcfd90_c.jpg

Flowers and milk cans.. by wjw0608, on Flickr

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

I like the ghostly visitors pic Richie. :) Some interesting effects. How did you do that?

This was a simple long exposure, no trickery involved! I set my camera up on a tripod, then put a neutral density filter (two actually) on my lens so I could use a slow shutter speed. In this instance, the shutter speed was 30 seconds, so people would show up better in the image the longer they lingered in a particular spot.

Nice stuff Mike and Bill!

I am suffering severe aperture envy, Mike. ;)

$7 Lens at a garage sale. Manual focus 50mm f/1.4. With another $10 adapter works perfectly on a modern camera.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks for the info Richie. Cool trick - sounds like a sort of daytime version of what Ken is doing. (Now I know what he would look like if he ever stopped running........). ;)

That's exactly it! (minus the flashlight of course)

LOL! ...but not on an iPad....... ;)

You need to get yourself a DSLR! Your iPad photos are great, imagine if you had a real camera! :D I'm sure you could find a suitable candidate on the used market for a good price.

Thanks Richie. :) A camera is high on my most wanted list ... But obviously comes second to music gear. I am not hugely bothered about not having one most of the time (except when I come on here and see the amazing things you guys are doing with yours! ) - and I very much enjoy taking pictures with my iPad. I will get one one day, and until then I can enjoy looking forward to that day. :)

An iPad as a camera isn't all bad. Check out this review of the iPad Air 2, where he talks about that very thing.

http://daringfireball.net/2014/10/ipad_air_2

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Did someone say they like spiders? :D

This was just outside my front door today. It was interesting to try to capture a good angle, including using the background of the tree behind it. The one with the tree trunk most directly behind it was the best shot, seen here. I also tried using my 50 mm lens, but couldn't get in a position where I could get it in focus at that short distance (my back was up against my house).

Happy Halloween, all!

15439770807_e3c9fa0579_b.jpgIMG_7607 by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr