Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Have you experimented with placement? i.e. whether it's better placing the SS on top of the QSC, or vice versa? Or have you been placing them both on the floor?

We played with that in the studio. Aspen had it sitting on that same smallish $50 home theater sub he bought at a thrift shop. When he set it on the floor it really did output quite a bit more bass but it lost presence. I heard it clearly when I was playing and later when Al was playing. It's definitely better up sitting on something. But, this was in a fairly acoustically dead studio not a live club, I'm sure there's a big difference between venues like any other amp.

That's a little different than what I was talking about, because the $50 sub is only doing bass, the highs are filtered out of it, so you don't have to worry about it "messing up" the SpaceStation sound due to phase interferences. I was talking about using the SS with a full rage PA speaker like the QSC K10 that MD3X mentioned, which was also a kind of setup discussed earlier in the thread.

It seems like, sonically, the ideal would be to put the SpaceStation on top of the K10, which will help the SS keep its ear-level presence you're talking about, but I don't know if the K10 is physically designed to be able to properly support an SS sitting on top of it. Certainly there are some other PA style speakers that would not be. If I remember correctly from what Aspen said elsewhere, you probably do what to keep the two sound sources vertically aligned. So I guess it would be best to put the SS on top to maximize presence (and the lessened bass would not be an issue if the speaker you're putting below it has plenty of bass); but if you had to switch it and put the PA speaker on top of the SS, it sounds like it would not be bad (and would still be better than putting the two both on the floor).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The K10 top is on a slight angle so sitting something on top of it wouldn't work too well. I figure if I run a dual speaker setup like that, I'll put the K10 on the floor angled up, and the SS on top of my rack at ear level.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

That's a little different than what I was talking about, because the $50 sub is only doing bass, the highs are filtered out of it, so you don't have to worry about it "messing up" the SpaceStation sound due to phase interferences.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. This was with the sub unplugged, Aspen was going back and forth plugging it and unplugging it and moving the SS to different positions while I was playing, one time it was flat on the floor, one time it was on the floor but angled back, then back on the sub plugged and unplugged and all the while talking about it and playing with the volume and stereo width control. There's a lot of footage but of course it will be edited so I don't know how much of that he'll use. When I talked to his producer he told me don't worry we'll only charge you $25 each to edit out the clams. Damn, that could break me...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

r

It seems like, sonically, the ideal would be to put the SpaceStation on top of the K10, which will help the SS keep its ear-level presence you're talking about

I tried my K10 on top of the SS and although the MS FX was still there(somewhat) the direct mono sound of the K10 was at ear level

and seemed to overpower the SS.

If I turned down the K10 where it didnt wash out the MS, then there really was no benefit to it.

Putting it on the bottom put the SS at the better H and V spread.

The K10 is specked at a 75 degree V and H coverage, The SS has 300 degrees H but I havent seen its V coverage.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I tried my K10 on top of the SS and although the MS FX was still there(somewhat) the direct mono sound of the K10 was at ear level

If I turned down the K10 where it didnt wash out the MS, then there really was no benefit to it.

When putting the K10 on the bottom, how did you put the SS above it? i.e. DanL said that the SS wouldn't sit well directly on top of the K10. Did you find a way for that to work, or use a separate stand to lift the SS above the K10, or...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Along with my key rig, I haul a lot of the PA- 2 subs, 2 tops, a couple cases with cables, speaker stands, etc. It's not like I have a small amount of gear to take to most gigs, so 1 case over a speaker in a bag and another box of stuff is sort of a plus for me.

Same here. I'm the guy with the van, so I usually wind up hauling the PA, my gear, and much of the time, our guitarist and his gear too. One more piece at that price, especially for the amount of protection, makes sense for me.

FWIW...I inquired into Tuki covers about one. Said nothing they have will fit, so it's a one off custom. They quoted me $69 plus $14.95 for shipping

After seeing CPHollis' post, I called SW. He didn't give me a definitive date for shipping mine, just that they were starting to arrive. No doubt they're shipping according to order date. Ordered mine on 10/11.

"May you stay...forever young."

I have the v3 sitting on top of a Phil Jones Bass Suitcase wired to an identical extension speaker. These 2 cabinets are identical cubes and the SS sits perfectly on top while still allowing access to the suitcase controls. The PJB is a full range system, so I pull down all the levels of the onboard graphic EQ except the low bass which I boost. I have the option of raising the levels on the uppers and mids, and if properly balanced gives a nice boost while maintaining the center point stereo sound. With just the bass boosted, this setup sounds amazing with my KronosX......so many of the EP and pads sound rich, and the drum accompaniment sounds extremely punchy, and spread across the 3d stereo field.

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

When putting the K10 on the bottom, how did you put the SS above it? i.e. DanL said that the SS wouldn't sit well directly on top of the K10. Did you find a way for that to work, or use a separate stand to lift the SS above the K10, or...?

right it doesn't sit directly. I have a small wooden butlers table that was just the correct height for the SS and width for the K10

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I just got home and set it up in the living room. I can't leave it here but I had to hear it. This one sounds exactly like the one in the studio. It's almost like having a leslie in here except for the wind coming from the top rotor. Ah, I know what I'll do it's kinda warm anyway....I just got my little floor fan going, now the experience is complete! I have the leslie effect plus some air in my face. Awesome!

I won't repeat what I said earlier except it's very clean, no amp noise, everything sounds great and I love it. Tomorrow I'll set up my PC3, I'll bet that will sound killer too.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Hi folks, I am pleased to announce we have responded to some of your requests for a better piano demo and also some more Leslie sim demos. We recorded 4 last week with Al Marotta and also 1 with your very own "Jazzmammal" who brought his Hammond over and walked out with a SS V.3.

Brian (our engineer) worked over the weekend to edit these first 2, which are now up on YouTube. There will be more to follow as he finds time. FYI, we now have 16 videos on our CPS website, all live performances thru a SS V.3 in our big room at APR, tracked with a single room MS mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNKZbPNKxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5iHEuPY3ls&feature=youtu.be

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Aspen detailed earlier in this thread that he couldn't make a deal with either GC or SA. Sweetwater is it for now.

As for the Casio demo I assume they're still working on it, I heard Al playing it and it sounded great.

Bob

I'll check your porch for you, ha.

Actually, mine is coming tomorrow too. FedEx is very unpredictable in my town, maybe 9am maybe 4pm. I may cancel my university classes.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Are there any plans to have this unit in music stores, say Sam Ash? Im in Florida and would love to try this.

Also, are there any vids of the Casio px5/AP patches up yet?

Point me to them.

Thx.

Q1) No "brick and mortar" plans in foreseeable future, I am sorry for that inconvenience...truly sorry about that. But I have a "new lease on life" today and a few "rule changes". as a result of an illness. Only a few of my closest friends know that my sickness was the real reason why I sold GT to Fender in 2008 (albeit public knowledge for several years now).

So, in my new lease terms, my prime directive is "no employees" to keep my life simple and w/o "boss stress".

So now I can focus all my remaining life force on what I love; product development (not "sales", and/or "human resources" and/or the next NAMM show). And now life is good, and the result is that the SS V.3 is good too!

FYI, I owned and ran GT for 30+ years with no regrets. It was a great run...but it takes 110% and I worked 18 hour days 360 days a year, and traveled to Asia and Europe at least twice a year, not to mention 3 USA trade shows a year! Frankly spoken, I do not want (nor could my body tolerate) that lifestyle back again.

So now I have just ONE wonderful manufacturing partner (Eminence Speaker USA), and just ONE dealer whom I also personally like very much. They are GREAT folks @ SW and take Customer Service to new levels, which is a comfort to me. Also, they sell everything I can make and ship it to you free, with candy, a full warranty and even financing if needed.

So frankly, I do not need any other sales partner!

But I must also say; Sam Ash is a great company too, as was Guitar Center where I began my journey as salesman and quickly their 1st Sales Manager at the first Hollywood store back in '67. These dealers and 300 other independent"Brick and Mortar" shops were my great friends and loyal customers over 30_+ years and without which I would never have been able to establish Groove Tubes.

So it is with regret I can not supply them today...I just do not have the bandwidth.

Q2) We do have several AP videos "in the can" (or "on the drive"?), and we will shoot a few more this week to. Al Moratta cut some great stuff on the new Casio Privia 5S, and we will cut some more this week from the new Ivory Grand Piano library we recently got at the Bob Moog Foundation Gala (won it for $150 at a great silent auction there at Michael Boddicker's house!). So that should cover the AP requests.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Aspen great to hear that you have been able to get back into business on your own terms and produce a product that is clearly a winner. SW does global sales so with with one retailer you have all bases covered. Wish you every continuing stress free success.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Aww man I'm keen to try this one out again.

I bought the MK2 but ultimately sent it back. It did indeed sound massive but it messed with various stereo patches on my Fantom XR. Mainly reverbs that could sound like they were in giant hallways. It would've meant re-programming them and any other potential new stuff that I played through it could sound too much.

However, some time after I sent it back it I bought Pianoteq modelling VST which has user positional microphones for the sound and it led me to think if you actually adjusted the sound to the speaker you could really start to get closer to the dispersion a real piano has, anyone who has the MK3 and Pianoteq I'd be very interested to hear some experimentation!

Currently I'm not using imitative sounds anymore and I'm again interested in the centre point idea. There seems to be a lot of improvements in this new one. My biggest quibble with the MK2 was that ultimately it sounded boxy. I spent some time running my main two piano sounds through an Aphex eq to tweak out the boxiness but when it came to raising the volume it would still show itself.

However, I reckon with a speaker like this one needs to readjust how they think about the sounds they use. I get it that some sounds require that punchy mono spot but then again, how lovely it is to bathe in swirling harmonics when you've got a more wide open patch.

Actually, I'm fairly keen to get a TC Electronic Corona chorus which is meant to have a stellar if not improved Dimension C effect & a tri-chorus. Putting some patches through that first before hitting the MK3 could lead to dangerous stereo vortex effect that might just swallow up the rest of your band members :D

So my SS v.3 arrived today from Sweetwater. Came while I was teaching privately so that kid got the candy!

I've only played with it for 30 minutes or so. I am a jazz/groove Hammond player with a SK2/XPK-200L and I mainly want this to give me a great Leslie effect. The SK2 has a great Leslie sim especially in stereo.

First, this is a solid build and properly shipped! Really impressive and simple in a good way; no superfluous knobs or functions.

The speakers are incredible, the best 8in speaker I've ever heard. The low notes are stronger than the 100hz would leave you to think. Bass notes are strong enough to cover a walking bass line for jazz in a small room. Without the stereo effect this is still a great amp for a keyboard, very clean and warm.

I've been practicing in a great stereo field by setting my PA speakers on either side of me, also I like to have a Presonus Stereo Blue Tube preamp to warm the sound. I left the Blue Tube running and connected the SS v.3. I set the SK2 EQ flat-its a strong, useful EQ too. Great sound but a little hissing/noisy. So I removed the preamp and WOW, this amp was made for the SK2! The SK's leakage, drive is so much better with the SS. A lot more of the sound the Vent gives as far as I can tell from youtube vids. 888000008 has more breath than any other set up I've used.

The Leslie is great just like being in the sweet spot in stereo but everywhere, at once. I like the Width set at 2 o'clock and am still experimenting with the Mid and Supertweeter settings which are powerful.

My only detraction is that as you add Width you get more hiss but its not too much for most performing.

Overall, I am very impressed and will write more as I find more.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Anybody else have one that hums a Bb? Even with nothing connected to it and the volumes down.

Any thoughts?

Sweetwater has this case in their catalog also. I just ordered the V.3 and the case from them. They told me delivery would be sometime in Nov. Ray

Did Sweetwater match the price and the free shipping? The website has a price of $119.99 PLUS shipping, all non-refundable, because it's a "special order." GC has it for $78, in stock, free shipping, normal 30 day return policy.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!