Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 35 1 2 33 34 35
Re: cool new effects
hurricane hugo #3039835 04/20/20 11:36 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Not a new pedal, but weren't some of you talking about the DOD Rubberneck Dealy at some point over the past few years? Proaduiostar is blowing them out for $119... which is cheaper than I see them used.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/dod-rubberneck-analog-delay-with-tap-tempo.html

GP Island
p90jr #3039838 04/20/20 11:55 PM
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by p90jr
Not a new pedal, but weren't some of you talking about the DOD Rubberneck Dealy at some point over the past few years? Proaduiostar is blowing them out for $119... which is cheaper than I see them used.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/dod-rubberneck-analog-delay-with-tap-tempo.html
Hmmm... Shipping and taxes? (I see that standard shipping's free) You've got my interest...

EDIT: I impulsively almost pulled the trigger on one there just now- almost- but decided to hold off. crazy

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
hurricane hugo #3041229 04/29/20 04:02 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'll let Strymon show off their new baby:

hurricane hugo #3041257 04/29/20 07:11 PM
D
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
One of these days, I might have to get a compressor. Not sure if I’d want to spend Strymon money on one, though.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap”

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/
Dannyalcatraz #3041272 04/29/20 08:48 PM
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz
One of these days, I might have to get a compressor. Not sure if I’d want to spend Strymon money on one, though.
Single-coils? Search-up a good deal on a used (I'd surmise that they all are at this point, having been out of production for a while- but don't let that put you off) HomeBrew Electronics ComPressor Retro, aka the HBE CPR; MAGIC with a Tele, and damn fine with other single-coil pickup equipped axes. Based on the classic Ross and Dyna Comp OTA (Operational Transconductance Amplifier) type squeeze-stomps, but upgraded, improved, higher quality and lower noise. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! Great bargains on these are out there. I own two and neither will be up for sale.

Humbuckers? Look for compressor-pedals that are optical-circuit designs that include a "dry/clean-blend" control...

hurricane hugo #3041327 04/30/20 04:48 AM
D
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Thanks for the tip!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap”

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/
hurricane hugo #3041366 04/30/20 02:35 PM
10k Club
10k Club
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CP-1X--boss-cp-1x-compressor-pedal?

Check out the video on the SW site by a studio musician for the Boss CP 1x Compressor. He has used some very sophisticated studio compressors in his time and is very impressed with the Boss pedal. They go for 1/2 the price of a Strymon Compressor. They sound great on both electric and acoustic guitars. I have one that I use for a clean boost for lead work. It works great. It is a smart pedal that can correct mistakes made by the user when setting their knobs. Which works for me LOL! But, I do know where my sweet spot is. I'm not that much of a compression guy but this is the only pedal I'm using these days...it's worth checking out if you are ever near a GC one of these days. cool

Last edited by Larryz; 04/30/20 02:44 PM.

Take care, Larryz
hurricane hugo #3045673 05/24/20 06:53 PM
M
10k Club
10k Club
M
The Fender MTG Tube Tremolo Pedal that was announced at Winter NAMM has finally hit the shelves and also now has a good audio/video demo:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2020/05/22/fender-releases-mtg-tube-tremolo-pedal/

There was only a partial demo before, with NAMM noise and a bad player with too many other effects going on at the same time.

I don't like what I've heard of the other pedals in this series, but this one is analog (most of them are digital) and sounds like the real deal to me.

I already have the original version of the Jack Rabbit pedal from Suhr (no tube aboard), and the Fender Deluxe Reverb 1965 reissue.

Not sure I'd need this pedal, but maybe it would work well with the VOX AC15 Hand-Wired amp, or even the Fender Champ (most recent reissue).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
hurricane hugo #3046886 06/01/20 03:00 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
New pedal for me: Mad Professor Kosmos reverb pedal.

Aside from an old multi-effect pedal, I've never had a reverb pedal. Usually I'm content with the spring reverb in 2 of my amps (Genz Benz Black Pearl, and Roland Super Cube). No reverb in my Vox AC5 and Egnater Tweaker, but either I try not to miss it or set my BYOC Echo/Ping Pong to a sort of slapback setting. But I've never had a more ambient reverb pedal. So of course I get a coupon code from Prymaxe, and got a good deal on this one.

It has 11 types of reverbs: plate, spring, hall, room, 3 room models with differing "shimmer" features, room with slapback, room with what they call a multihead delay, and 2 swell/reverse modes. I compared it (online) with the EH Oceans 11 and Canyons pedals, along with a few others. The EH ones had some issues with lag and trails cutting off; the Kosmos didn't seem to have any of those. Plus, this has a kind of "sample & hold" function so you can play a lick, hold down the on/off switch on your last note, then let that ring while you play something else. Pretty cool, and relatively easy to get used to using.

When you first turn it on, you can hold the on/off switch to choose either fully wet or a combination wet & dry signal path. That's pretty cool, but in a live situation could be a bit confusing if you're trying to switch between those two options mid-set. The reverse/swell modes also use the length you hold down the pedal to generate the swells. Being used to using a volume pedal to do that, it's pretty easy to adjust.

It doesn't work as cleanly as I'd hoped with a lot of dirt in front of it. Can get muddy and the reflections become overbearing. Of course, I only used it in front of the amp, and realize it really should live in the loop. I'll give that a go next time, when I have a little more time & space to set up the whole rig instead of a quick 2-pedal run-through. But overall, I think it's a keeper.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Danzilla #3046941 06/01/20 07:52 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
@Danzilla - That seems like a very cool toy. The 'sample-&-hold' sounds a lot like the "Infinite Reverb" effect?

I've been tempted by the Walrus Audio Slo and the Old Blood Noise Dark Star, just wish I could A/B them somewhere . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Winston Psmith #3046953 06/01/20 11:55 PM
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by Danzilla

Aside from an old multi-effect pedal, I've never had a reverb pedal. Usually I'm content with the spring reverb in 2 of my amps (Genz Benz Black Pearl, and Roland Super Cube). No reverb in my Vox AC5 and Egnater Tweaker, but either I try not to miss it or set my BYOC Echo/Ping Pong to a sort of slapback setting. But I've never had a more ambient reverb pedal. So of course I get a coupon code from Prymaxe, and got a good deal on this one.

It has 11 types of reverbs: plate, spring, hall, room, 3 room models with differing "shimmer" features, room with slapback, room with what they call a multihead delay, and 2 swell/reverse modes. I compared it (online) with the EH Oceans 11 and Canyons pedals, along with a few others. The EH ones had some issues with lag and trails cutting off; the Kosmos didn't seem to have any of those. Plus, this has a kind of "sample & hold" function so you can play a lick, hold down the on/off switch on your last note, then let that ring while you play something else. Pretty cool, and relatively easy to get used to using.

When you first turn it on, you can hold the on/off switch to choose either fully wet or a combination wet & dry signal path. That's pretty cool, but in a live situation could be a bit confusing if you're trying to switch between those two options mid-set. The reverse/swell modes also use the length you hold down the pedal to generate the swells. Being used to using a volume pedal to do that, it's pretty easy to adjust.

It doesn't work as cleanly as I'd hoped with a lot of dirt in front of it. Can get muddy and the reflections become overbearing. Of course, I only used it in front of the amp, and realize it really should live in the loop. I'll give that a go next time, when I have a little more time & space to set up the whole rig instead of a quick 2-pedal run-through. But overall, I think it's a keeper.
Originally Posted by Winston Psmith
@Danzilla - That seems like a very cool toy. The 'sample-&-hold' sounds a lot like the "Infinite Reverb" effect?

I've been tempted by the Walrus Audio Slo and the Old Blood Noise Dark Star, just wish I could A/B them somewhere . . .

Cool. I've found that Walrus Slö rather enticing, and this new Mad Professor Kosmos sounds interesting, as well. I'm not very familiar with the Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star, and haven't tried or heard any of these three live and in person.

Tell me, do any of these offer adjustable pre-delay of the onset of the reverb? I often found that to be a key to getting reverb that's just-right for a given musical setting... I love the " '80s Rack/Hall" and " '70s Studio Plate" Reverbs of my Strymon Flint- and the the biggest reason that I bought and use it is for its Tremolo, and Reverb-into-Tremolo capabilities- but I do sometimes wish it offered adjustable pre-delay...

Caevan O'Shite #3046999 06/02/20 07:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Caevan O'Shite
Originally Posted by Danzilla

Originally Posted by Winston Psmith

Cool. I've found that Walrus Slö rather enticing, and this new Mad Professor Kosmos sounds interesting, as well. I'm not very familiar with the Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star, and haven't tried or heard any of these three live and in person.

Tell me, do any of these offer adjustable pre-delay of the onset of the reverb? I often found that to be a key to getting reverb that's just-right for a given musical setting... I love the " '80s Rack/Hall" and " '70s Studio Plate" Reverbs of my Strymon Flint- and the the biggest reason that I bought and use it is for its Tremolo, and Reverb-into-Tremolo capabilities- but I do sometimes wish it offered adjustable pre-delay...

Add a delay pedal in front of it? Just a thought...

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Page 35 of 35 1 2 33 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard