Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

No one arranges with the same prowess these days, other than Michael League. JT's band is probably the best pop band on the planet right now.

I find your lack of The Roots disturbing.

Gotta agree with my fellow Canadian - while I love the Roots, I can't really say that their arrangements (in the orchestration sense of the term) are anywhere near the level of writing in Snarky Puppy or JT's current live band. Nice to hear that "neo-soul" sense of arrangement (like the Jill Scott live record) in modern pop, bringing back that EWF & Quincy Jones sensibility.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reliving this unbelievable performance.

I can't seem to figure out how to embed a Dailymotion video, but it's Justin Timberlake's pre-20/20 Experience Fallon performance. 10 minute medley of his prior hits with a couple sweet teases thrown for spice.

I've been trying to find a better version of this, preferably on YouTube so it can be embedded, but it seems to be one of the few videos not officially posted by the show.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Reliving this unbelievable performance.

I can't seem to figure out how to embed a Dailymotion video, but it's Justin Timberlake's pre-20/20 Experience Fallon performance. 10 minute medley of his prior hits with a couple sweet teases thrown for spice.

I've been trying to find a better version of this, preferably on YouTube so it can be embedded, but it seems to be one of the few videos not officially posted by the show.

It's always nice to see Justin sling a guitar.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Cheek 2 Cheek, Paper Moon...Tierney Sutton..excellente group.

Also, Dani Gurgle..Brazilian vocaleesta, her sister is the pianist and arrgr. Very nice.

Also Elaine Elias, her new brazilian stuff is nice...

Also now, after the AM news, Im going to pull out some

Jazz Crusaders/Crusaders.

Today i downloaded the new MMW + Scofield cd "Juice" which i liked a lot. I had some time to like a MMW cd and their latest show i saw in Istanbul (with Niels Kline) was not great IMHO. But tis one i liked a lot. The classic MMWS sound + real themes, almost like songs. They also cover two or three classics (Sunshine of your love, Light my fire, The times they are a-changin).

I also donwloaded Brad Mehldau's latest duet "Mehliana: Taming the dragon". Nice electronic stuff with lots of arpegiators, rolands, synth bass, and some twisted delayed rhodes solos.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Just getting into Pat Metheny Group. Love this tune...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8-_M7HgCEY

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Picked up a few new albums this week. Currently spinning:

[video:youtube]

It's very good, not as extreme as some of his material. He'll probably get a lot of critical flack for merely producing a good album when his reputation and the time he's taken to produce this would almost demand a genre-changing masterpiece, but I'm quite enjoying it.

Just finished spinning the new Opeth album, Pale Communion:

Pale Communion follows in the same vein as their last studio album, Heritage, in that it's basically a prog-rock album, and a very good on at that. There's not a trace of the band's black metal roots, though the record occasionally leans to the heavier side. While I don't discount all things metal, I actually think that Opeth are stronger as a prog band than as a metal band. Mikael Akerfeldt's vocals are strong, he reminds me of John Wetton at times, a younger Ian Anderson at others. There's lots of Hammond, Mellotron and Analog synths here. There are lots of reviews on Opeth's new direction comparing them to Yes and Genesis, but, honestly, I thing the overall effect is closer to early Kansas, and I in no way mean that as a dig, I loved Kansas back in the day, they were one of my first concerts. Like them, Opeth is very capable, melodic hard rock band with progressive tendencies. Pale Communion is mixed by Steven Wilson, meaning it sounds amazing.

Earlier today, listened to the new Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood album Juiced:

Frankly, it's leaving me a little underwhelmed. It feels like the kind of album they could crank out in afternoon without breaking a sweat. They include some of classic rock covers here, a smooth-jazz take on Light My Fire that is the moment that turned me against the record, a decent dub version of Sunshine of Your Love, and the album ends with a quite lovely, understated arrangement of Dylan's The Times They Are A'Changin'. It's not a terrible album by any means, just, after hearing their collaboration with Nels Cline, Which is awesome, I think I just expected something more.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

http://cdn.u2.com/non_secure/images/20140909/news/news1_soi_cover/large.jpg

Just kidding.

What happens in the cloud stays in the cloud.