Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Then he moved and stood up on his back legs looking at me and I took this picture.

That's pretty scary, Mike. ;):thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great shot of the WTC, Mike. Didn't realise photos could look that good from behind glass. Also LOVE the bee. Particularly as it looks so totally different to normal friendly bees; much more sinister from that angle.

Inspired by these amazing macro insects, I had a go at photographing a spider last week. This was a challenge, as I am instinctively frightened of them. He was particularly large, interesting looking and had a beautiful web. After a few false starts I got as close as my iPad would permit and took a reasonably focused picture. It was not an enjoyable experience though - too on edge in case he suddenly leapt onto the iPad.....

Then once I had the picture, I realised that I couldn't bear to look at it, let alone attempt to process it in any way. This was an unpleasant surprise, as I had enjoyed looking at the beautiful spider picture here a few pages back. Anyways, I did the only sensible thing I could: deleted it. Think I need to start with less intimidating insects. Problem is, most of them are too small for the iPad to cope with....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

This is a photo of the glorious Milky Way arcing across the night sky over Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, Utah, USA. I light painted this night sky photo to heighten the grandeur and drama of this most amazing rock formation. How it stays up, I'm not sure, but I for one am glad it's there. Really fantastic experience. This is a large high-res version of this photo. I hope you like it, KCers.

http://500px.com/photo/83687707/door-to-infinity-by-ken-lee

I was wondering if anyone had upgraded to iOS 8 yet and had tried out the camera. I believe there are supposed to be some improvements. Have any of you done this? What is the difference (if any)? (I am not planning to upgrade for quite a while UNLESS I hear that the camera has amazing new features.....) :)

Really like your photos Bill, especially the rotunda & timeless. :)

Thanks, xK. The Rotunda is as the University of Virginia in Charlottesville (designed by the heretic colonist Thomas Jefferson) and Timeless is at the abandoned town of Thurmond, West Virginia, now part of the New River Gorge National Park.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

I was wondering if anyone had upgraded to iOS 8 yet and had tried out the camera. I believe there are supposed to be some improvements. Have any of you done this? What is the difference (if any)? (I am not planning to upgrade for quite a while UNLESS I hear that the camera has amazing new features.....) :)
Are you talking about on the iPad? On my Air, I now have Pano and Time Lapse, which I don't think I had before. I can't say anything about image quality yet.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This is a photo of the glorious Milky Way arcing across the night sky over Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, Utah, USA. I light painted this night sky photo to heighten the grandeur and drama of this most amazing rock formation. How it stays up, I'm not sure, but I for one am glad it's there. Really fantastic experience. This is a large high-res version of this photo. I hope you like it, KCers.

http://500px.com/photo/83687707/door-to-infinity-

by-ken-lee

Yes , love that milky way photo Ken , staggering in it's size and glory , to think this is one galaxy of billions, maybe trillions!!!.

Brett

Hi Joe. Yes - on an iPad Air. I was very much hoping they might include an ability to change the aperture....or the shutter speed......

Would you say it is worth upgrading to get the new camera features?

I don't know if I'd do the upgrade for just the camera. Still, I haven't played with the "new" camera much.

Three more macro shots from last weekend.

15311205701_52e63997ba_b.jpgIMG_8358 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

15127624249_999e2dffaa_b.jpgIMG_8350 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

15127787808_7fff7c81ee_b.jpgLady Bug by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Nice shots, Mike. Those bees look like you can pet them!

I have a bunch of photos from an in-store performance I visited a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had a chance to process them yet.

I am NOT a photographer by any means ( can't draw a straight line with a ruler and pencil......fortunately, my wife and oldest son are art teachers, but I digress..... I am awestruck by the efforts of those that have contributed to this thread, so I felt obligated to add a pic in honor of the thread starter, Mike Martin. Last week was my 1st birthday that my kids actually gave me what I wanted: a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. Since I fly R/C helis, I had to stick it under my Blade 350QX2 quadcopter and see what I could of my neighborhood. This is a still I extracted from the vid:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/1412465/410091079.jpg

The cluster of buildings in the upper LH corner is Rockaway Townsquare Mall, and Casio's HQ is just SouthWest of the perimeter road. I might not be exactly 100% on the mark, but I'm thisclose....... :roll:

Great thread, Mike, and anytime you want an overhead shot let me know.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I found this today. I'm so sad I couldn't buy it on the spot. I never wanted a piano more than this one.

15170419799_d6f36157af_b.jpgSteinway B - Joe Sample by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I am NOT a photographer by any means ( can't draw a straight line with a ruler and pencil......fortunately, my wife and oldest son are art teachers, but I digress..... I am awestruck by the efforts of those that have contributed to this thread, so I felt obligated to add a pic in honor of the thread starter, Mike Martin. Last week was my 1st birthday that my kids actually gave me what I wanted: a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. Since I fly R/C helis, I had to stick it under my Blade 350QX2 quadcopter and see what I could of my neighborhood. This is a still I extracted from the vid:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/1412465/410091079.jpg

The cluster of buildings in the upper LH corner is Rockaway Townsquare Mall, and Casio's HQ is just SouthWest of the perimeter road. I might not be exactly 100% on the mark, but I'm thisclose....... :roll:

Great thread, Mike, and anytime you want an overhead shot let me know.

Jake

This is tremendous! and it's a small looking world from above where you live :).

Brett

I was recently in Prague and came across this fascinating building. It is called the "Dancing House" , and nicknamed "Fred & Ginger"; but to me the whole thing screams "Harry Potter".... It looks SO much like that building is trying to force its way out between the other two.... :)

15452751475_b063100c5f_b.jpg

Dancing House Building, Prague by xxKnuckles, on Flickr