Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

Hello everybody, just bought a new Fa-06 and I was asked to play in a Doors-Tribute. can somebody with longer playing around with the FA advise me about the best patches to emulate the piano bass used by Ray Manzarek? Or in any case the most suitable to play the classic Doors (aggressive bass as in break on through, the softer one like riders on the storm) and so on? thanks in advance everyone and greetings from Italy!

Check your first thread. I responding with exactly that for you. :)

Carl

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody run out of SD memory yet? Is there a good reccomendation for SD Cards? Are these the same kind of cards that are used in digital cameras?

Something the manual didn't seem to make completely clear was how to copy samples to multiple song files. I have 3 song files I use during the gig but I need many of the same samples loaded to the buttons. (Noize builds, pitch builds, scratches, Heys! etc...)

I figured it out. You export the samples to the export folder then import those samples to the other songs sample banks. It is easy.

Spent a lot of time with the manual last night in the Pop Band's 'studio' (drummer's basement). It helps a lot if you read the book. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Anybody run out of SD memory yet? Is there a good reccomendation for SD Cards? Are these the same kind of cards that are used in digital cameras?

I've had no issue using basic SD cards I've had laying around, in addition to the one that comes with the FA.

I even reformatted the 2gb cards that I used to use with my M50 and Krome, and they work just fine in the FA08

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I just want to assign a momentary switch to turn the arpegiator on and off. Not use it to hold an arpeggio. I just want to globally shut the arpeggiator on and off. Is there a CC number for the Arpeggio button?

Has anyone done this? This would help me on 2 tunes.

FA users. Can you have different samples saved to the pads as part of the different studio sets so that as you change to a different studio set, a different set of samples are ready to be triggered? Many thanks

Samples are saved as part of song files. Within each you have up to 4 banks of samples. ( 128 pad samples) To switch banks press the bank button next to the pads then press pads 1-4 to choose the bank. To load a new set of 128 sample press song select and load a new song.

What you can do is tie your songs to select studio sets so when you load the new song you get the desired studio set.

Thanks CEB. I would only be using the samples to add some sparkle to some songs, sounds effects etc where appropriate so really i suppose just loading 4 banks of samples would be plenty for me. I could load them up at beginning of the gig and then i could just flick through the studio sets but the initially loaded samples would be there for me to use irrespective of which studio set i chose. Is that correct? Many thanks for your assistance.

Yes Gino, unless you load a new song file, the samples will be there for all your studio sets.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Many Thanks Dan. Tomorrow i pick up my FA08. I've not played one yet but intend to tomorrow at the store before i pay for mine. I'm sure i wont be disappointed with it. I've appreciated being able to read about owners opinions and experience with it on the forum. Most seem very very happy with it.

Cheers

Yes...it's SRX content. It looks like most of them will eventually be available for the FA synths. I just wished there were 4 slots instead of 2.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I downloaded and installed the new EXP brass, not really impressed. It does have the "drop off" brass sound that I miss from my S70XS, but it's not worth using the expansion slot for that 1 sound.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a dumb question and maybe I'm over-thinking this, but what does "initialize" mean? Why would I want to "initialize" a tone, or a studio set?

The manual skips no opportunity to tell me how to initialize things, but why would I want to do it in the first place?

Regards,

Joe

Typically, "initialize" means that the program you have selected is wiped clean and becomes a "blank " , meaning you may now start from scratch in building a program,sound, studio set, combi, etc. with no previous FX, or parameters of any kind.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Typically, "initialize" means that the program you have selected is wiped clean and becomes a "blank " , meaning you may now start from scratch in building a program,sound, studio set, combi, etc. with no previous FX, or parameters of any kind.

Pretty much this. I have 3 specific studio sets in the middle of my wedding band setlist assigned to first dance requests - once we've performed it, I initialise the studio set and create the new one afresh. Means I don't have to waste spaces for new songs that we're only going to play once. Also means that I know exactly where in my growing number of studio sets the one off songs are always going to be.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Probably a dumb question and maybe I'm over-thinking this, but what does "initialize" mean?

You can basically think of it as setting every parameter to its initial values, i.e. as it would be before any programming or adjustments. This would be where you would start if you wanted to start something from scratch, It would give you the pure sound without any effects, EQ, envelopes beyond simple on-when you-play off-when you-release, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have another pedal assignment question. I probably can't do this either. :D

I use a synth to create pitch and noise builds then I sample the synth buildups with the FA-06. Depends on the length of the buildup they can start to scream. I the expression does not change the volume of the sample playbacks.

Can you set the expression pedal to control the volume of the sampler play back?

Sorry CEB and NAD - can't help, way beyond my understanding of the machine.

But can somebody advise the easiest way to play along with a drum beat? Would that be in song mode? Seems like rhythm patters only play in song mode?

It was easy on the RD700.....!

Now that I've finally bought my Electro 4 the GAS has switched its targets to a keyboard I technically already have: the FA-08. If I trade in the RD700 and the FA-06 for the 08, my rig will be streamlined and good for all occasions - no taking certain boards to certain gigs. I'm sure this is a good idea, and that my logic isn't being swayed by needless GAS... :cop:

Seriously though, GAS for a board I already have. What's next?!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

The fa08 keybed can't compare to the rd700..

If you're more oriented pianist i would say keep the rd 700nx and the fa06.

I personally wouldn't lost a rd 700 nx like that.

You win weight,but you loose a killer stage piano with high level keybed and engine.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

I wouldn't do it given a couple of caveats.

1) Will 3 boards physically fit in your vehicle?

2) Will your amplification mixer handle another board?

I would get something like a K&M 18880 setup with 3 tiers and put the FA 06 at the end of the MIDI chain. It doesn't add that much time to you setup if you can physically fit the rig into you car and it gives you a lot of flexibility. The stage footprint is exactly the same.

My experience with the fa08 is that the action prevents me from using it as a controller due to its velocity settings. For reasons unknown to me, I cannot use it to play external piano samples in VILABS or Komplete without lacking nuance or subtle velocities. I have a RD700nx and it does a fine job.

I have toggled with the velocity settings in the FA08 endlesslessy with no Luck. So, while I love the FA08 for what it can do internally, and am used to the action; using it to control external piano samples in Mainstage is unusable.

I wouldn't do it given a couple of caveats.

1) Will 3 boards physically fit in your vehicle?

2) Will your amplification mixer handle another board?

I would get something like a K&M 18880 setup with 3 tiers and put the FA 06 at the end of the MIDI chain. It doesn't add that much time to you setup if you can physically fit the rig into you car and it gives you a lot of flexibility. The stage footprint is exactly the same.

I'd only have two boards: the RD and FA-06 would be exchanged for the 08.

The RD is a pretty good controller, though I rarely gig with it. I'm still on the fence. Had my first gig with the Electro and the 06 last night and they went together pretty well.

Surprisingly I prefer the pianos on the Roland when playing into my monitor (I play in mono, Roland pianos sound much better than the Nords in mono, though the Nords blow the Rolands away in stereo). There's a few things I still need to test (like hearing both through FoH speakers at a rehearsal studio tomorrow and deciding which sounds better at different velocity levels) but actually exchanging for the 08 is not looking likely at the moment.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3