Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up 2 new CD's this week, and am listening at work.

First up: Steven Wilson: Cover Version

[video:youtube]

Covers include tunes by ABBA, The Cure and Alanis Morrissette, and the above Prince tune. Most of the tunes are recorded pretty intimately, Wilson plays all the instruments, very different from his recent solo material. Sign O' The Times is the highlight, IMHO, but it's a very nice, low key album

Now Playing: Interstatic: Arise

Modern hammond trio stuff with Roy Powell on B3, Jakob Young on guitar and Jarle Vespestad on drumns. I was introduced to this trio by forum member OrangeFunk, and picked up an earlier album that I enjoyed a lot. The older album really reminded me of John Abercrombie's organ trio work of the '90's, very beautiful, kind of ambient. This new record rocks a lot harder, in fact moments almost sound like an updated version of Tony Williams original Lifetime lineup. Very impressed on first listen!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

After catching Janiva Magness last night at the Regatta Bar in Cambridge, I picked up her two most recent CDs.

And I'm digging the hell out of them.

The show was easily among the best I've seen/heard in a decade, and I don't say sh*t like that lightly.

I've got a special love for the blues/soul genre as both listener and player. The execution during last night's show combined a curator's reverence for the genre with an innovator's drive to make it better.

Our friend from this very forum, Jim Alfredson, did terrible, wonderful things to his rig (SK1 and PX5S). A residue of funk is going to be dripping down the walls in that joint for weeks to come.

Janiva oozed rock power out of her pores. Hearing her sing - it was like being hit with a fire hose blasting out 200$/bottle cabernet sauvignon.

They were a freaking super-group - vocals, bass, drums, keys and guitar all raging badasses with impeccable taste.

In other words it was a really good show.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dnvu9gTcY

Glad you enjoyed it, Dave. That new album of hers is killer. It gets better with each listen. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am totally rediscovering Blonde Redhead's Misery is a Butterfly prior to their new album release on Sept. 2nd. If you haven't listened to this album, you so very much owe it to yourself! :)

Great album, but the new album is a total snooze. :bor:

Stopped at a friends yesterday, he had Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer lp on.

Havent heard that in ages.

Off topic a bit, he turned me on to Grooveshark.

Just type in artists name and u can build a songlist

of available tunes. Listen free. Does well as I tried to

stump it by putting in Kenny Kirklands name and

it listed about 10 tunes. Herbies list goes n goes,

so I thought that it worked well.

Listened to the Guiliana records. It's great stuff, although I'd like to give it a few more good listens before really even saying anything about them. The L.A. one, particularly. Smoking.

Right now, though:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Album.Trio.Live.Cover.jpg

Just hearing this for the first time today. Didn't even know about it. I'm playing Q & A on my junior recital this year on Rhodes, so I figured I'd dig into it a little more. Holy.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - 40th Anniversary boxed set. 20 CD's. This is going to take a while.

20???!?!?! I think I have only ever heard one song by them (Blinded by the Light). I didn't know they had such a big catalog.

I'm listening to The Tangent - L'Etagere Du Travail.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - 40th Anniversary boxed set. 20 CD's. This is going to take a while.

20???!?!?! I think I have only ever heard one song by them (Blinded by the Light). I didn't know they had such a big catalog.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2EQVHnwlcE

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Any good? It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now, I'm still working up the courage to sit down and listen to it...

I gave it its first proper spin last night. There are some great musical moments that sunk in immediately -- some of the other sections might take a few more listens. It sounds fresh. My favorite Tangent albums are COMM and Le Sacre Du Travail. This one might turn out to be just as good. It's a smattering of musical styles. Dansant Dans Paris immediately reminded me of the theme song from The Love Boat. Why do you say you need to work up the courage?

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Headhunters - Survival of the Fittest. Really intriguing to hear this band without keyboards.

Looking forward to digging into two CDs featuring Brazilian piano virtuoso Andre Mehmari. Saw him in duo with guitarist Chico Pinheiro a couple days ago in NYC and it was some of the best music I have heard this year.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Reliving this unbelievable performance.

I can't seem to figure out how to embed a Dailymotion video, but it's Justin Timberlake's pre-20/20 Experience Fallon performance. 10 minute medley of his prior hits with a couple sweet teases thrown for spice.

Adam Blackstone is the baddest of them all. Between this and the 20/20 Experience Tour, which I saw... No one arranges with the same prowess these days, other than Michael League. JT's band is probably the best pop band on the planet right now.

No one arranges with the same prowess these days, other than Michael League. JT's band is probably the best pop band on the planet right now.

I find your lack of The Roots disturbing.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50