Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

FWIW, My ears ---as well as the owners material I received (from Fender)when I bought it--- clearly tell me that the sub-out on the MK2 is low frequency (100hz and lower)specific. As I play in lower registers on my SK1, I can hear the MK2 volume cut out, while the sub amp stays at volume.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

FWIW, My ears ---as well as the owners material I received (from Fender)when I bought it--- clearly tell me that the sub-out on the MK2 is low frequency (100hz and lower)specific. As I play in lower registers on my SK1, I can hear the MK2 volume cut out, while the sub amp stays at volume.

Thats interesting, because some one else posted they heard a full range output from the sub jack. But I will not use the SS for FOH pass thru, my SM10 will handle that.

That sub out may be a solution for adding more "umph" and room volume, albeit 100 hz and below.

My Sweetwater guy responded to my question on where I am in the chain, and he responded that depending on the amount of stock they receive, I may receive one of the first ones :boing: , if not then the second wave Aspen referred to.

I wonder if our favorite magazine will do a review on the unit?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Just a little story about this technology's "fill-the-room-with omnidirectional sound" prowess. Again, I have the GT SpaceStation MKII. There is a factory voice patch on the Hammond SK1 called "Sweep Pad". That patch ---played through several other dual amp set-ups (for L and R stereo channeling), including two Traynor K1 amps linked via their proprietary stereo link system, sounds OK but nothing special, and my eyes tell me the crowd doesn't really notice it. Played through the MKII, and it's a sound that just blows you away with its ethereal, "hard to figure out where it's coming from" effect. And the crowd always smiles, looks around, or looks at the keyboardist (me), obviously liking it and trying to understand what is happening in their ears. I've had many come up to me and ask what I had done to get "other worldly" sound effect.

www.mikemickxer.com

I am very intrigued by this. I did a medium sized bar gig two weeks ago with my new SK1/F06 rig and was thinking how would one of these work and I keep thinking about overall volume. The drummer was banging and the bass player with his 4 speaker Ampeg was really thumping and I was cranking with my Barbetta 41C which is 425 watts with two 10's and a horn. I can't help thinking that this new Spacestation would just get drowned out but I am certainly open to a surprise. I could just set it on top of the Barbetta with the sub out but if the sub freq is that low I don't know if the full range organ would still be strong enough. Since this is such a boutique one man show I really would hate to order one, wait a couple of months and then realize in less than a minute that it just can't cut it even if it does sound amazing when you can hear it. I would feel much better if it was the size and power of my Barbetta.

When I was doing jazz gigs this would have been perfect but with all the classic rock and blues I've been doing the last several years I just doesn't look like it's got enough juice.

Aspen,if you're reading this please chime in. You seem to be a long time pro in the business so you know what I'm saying here. If one of your keyboard buddies says he's used one in a 7 piece horn band at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach with say 75-100 loud patrons on a Saturday night and it was fine, I'll order one. I was doing that gig a few years ago with a Kurzweil and my old chopped Leslie upper rotor sitting on a 15" bass cab with a 200W Peavey head. This seems to be where I'm at again, the jazz gigs have basically died for me.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

My K12s were too powerful for small venues so we added them to the Mains with 18s, making the K15s into sidefills. The V.3 is perfect as I hear the entire image, and the bass/low end sounds fine as long as you don't elevate the cabinet.

Really no difference in sound quality out front, but the onstage quality keeps my overall volume down and sounds better to me as I hear the entire image.

I have had Barbettas for years, and more recently K12s. Way too powerful for 1-200 seaters IMHO.

I tested the cabinet first with an SE-1X since I heard guys complain about low end.

I noticed when I raised the cabinet up to waist level the low end isn't reflected as well.

Since I have 2 x 8U and a 4U on a WS iLok Stand it sits perfectly under the raised racks and really makes the gig more fun.

FWIW I compete with a half stack JCM 800 and SVT, plus a 30 inch cannon/kick drum mic'd through an X32. Not a problem.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I was introduced to the original Space Station Mk1 years ago at a NAMM show and was impressed. I currently own a Mk2 and it always draws attention, first during set-up and especially once I start playing. The sound this little box puts out is incredible. Organ (Hammond XK3 and/or Roland VR760), Rhodes, Synth, Strings, etc. from my Korg Krome 88 are just great. And after some parameter tweaking the acoustic pianos are fine as well. I really can't say enough about the Space Station. I can't wait to hear the new version.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Well I have a Roland KCW-1 sub to augment if it needs some big bottom

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Which bass amp?

I was thinking about the cheapest Acoustic Image amp ~$900. Would something cheaper work?

Think about a small (12" longtrow max.) active subwoofer.

Something like THIS .

There are also 10" subwoofers in the ballpark.

Check different brands too,- Samson is relatively cheap, Peavey is, Alto TS-12 is too, others cost much more money.

Have in mind you want something for live usage and not for the (home-)studio.

A.C.

Which bass amp?

I was thinking about the cheapest Acoustic Image amp ~$900. Would something cheaper work?

Think about a small (12" longtrow max.) active subwoofer.

Something like THIS .

There are also 10" subwoofers in the ballpark.

Check different brands too,- Samson is relatively cheap, Peavey is, Alto TS-12 is too, others cost much more money.

Have in mind you want something for live usage and not for the (home-)studio.

A.C.

I ordered the CPS v.3 but know that something will be needed to carry the basslines. Subs get heavy. I tried the Acoustic Image (http://www.soundpure.com/p/acoustic-image-contra-series-4-1-channel-combo-amp/5208?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7b-gBRC45uLY_avSrdgBEiQAD3Olx4_750UpaVOED_HqY5wlq4lqmj_tbB6R_6gC_BmXQJkaAk9Y8P8HAQ) basically an older version of this. This weighs 20 lbs and goes down to 30 hertz and sounds great on the low end. Does anyone know if a cheaper bass combo (Hartke, Orange, etc) would be an option? I play jazz and groove music primarily.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

... Subs get heavy. I tried the Acoustic Image ... This weighs 20 lbs and goes down to 30 hertz and sounds great on the low end. Does anyone know if a cheaper bass combo (Hartke, Orange, etc) would be an option? I play jazz and groove music primarily.

20lbs for a bass-combo is insanely lightweight, especially when it sounds good in addition.

THAT´s what you pay for.

I doubt you´ll find similar quality cheaper.

Thinking about bass-combos, for keyboards my experience is you don´t need the pre-amp/EQ(compressor) stages made for electromagnetic pickup instruments, just only a line-in, LPF (or X-over), power amp and the speaker,- all in one cab.

The Alto TS-12 w/ 18.5 kilos is already a sissy-cab IMO.

:roll::D

A.C.

Re: what amp to tap into from the sub out from these sfx amps, I've always felt that I needed a bit more lower frequency bottom/grunt on some tunes. Thus, I have used the sub out from my GT MK2 to connect to an amp that has a speaker bigger than the 8 and 6.5 inch'ers that are in the MK2 (assuming that that lower frequencies would be better handled by a more substantive woofer). I most frequently use a Motion Sound KT-80 (12" woofer, 100 watts), or in bigger settings/venues, an Ibanez Promethean P3115 bass combo amp (15" woofer, 300 watts). Together, the MK2 and either of these connected amps is offering at least 200 watts of power. Plus, the MK2 is, on its own, exceptionally good at cutting through the din/wall of drums, bass, guitar, etc.

BTW, my choice of the KT-80 and the P3115 is definitely influenced by wanting to keep the size/weigh of the amps I need to haul to a minimum. The KT-80 weighs 28 lbs., while the P3115 weighs 37 lbs.

www.mikemickxer.com

... Subs get heavy. I tried the Acoustic Image ... This weighs 20 lbs and goes down to 30 hertz and sounds great on the low end. Does anyone know if a cheaper bass combo (Hartke, Orange, etc) would be an option? I play jazz and groove music primarily.

20lbs for a bass-combo is insanely lightweight, especially when it sounds good in addition.

112dB max SPL. This was designed for upright bass in a jazz combo setting. Just like the Acme cabs, it goes way down low and is very small. As a result it's highly inefficient and not very loud. I have an early Contra, only 200 watts into 4 ohms, and I've tried it as a sub for a B3 gig. No go. Just not loud enough to keep up with a drum kit.

THAT´s what you pay for.

I doubt you´ll find similar quality cheaper.

Thinking about bass-combos, for keyboards my experience is you don´t need the pre-amp/EQ(compressor) stages made for electromagnetic pickup instruments, just only a line-in, LPF (or X-over), power amp and the speaker,- all in one cab.

The Alto TS-12 w/ 18.5 kilos is already a sissy-cab IMO.

:roll::D

A.C.

I love sissy cabs! And so does the pinched nerve in my neck.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Thanks for all the comments. I have a KT-80 and love it. I'll try it first then head to a music store and see if any of those $300-$400 bass combos work.

When I play LH bass, I use a Markbass Mini CMD 12P. Small, light (well, under 30 lbs), deep, and loud. Not cheap though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When I play LH bass, I use a Markbass Mini CMD 12P. Small, light (well, under 30 lbs), deep, and loud. Not cheap though.

That looks like it could be a nice keyboard amp alone.

I love sissy cabs! And so does the pinched nerve in my neck.

Yes, me too, but you cannot have it all ...

Much real low end, loud enough from a mini-cab housing a mini-speaker, almost impossible.

Typical bass- and smaller "long-throw" speakers made for the low end, all profit from a large® cabinet, may it be sealed or coming w/ a bass reflex port.

Today we have more options using DSP technology but the speaker itself keeps the weakest part of the chain and a larger cab is essential for more low end.

If it were not, we won´t see any 18" speakers in large (horn loaded) subs in PA systems.

I agree on w/ keyboards on stage you don´t need the waves traveling long distances which is a matter of SPL, but you might need the 40-50Hz @-3dB (not -10 or less) when playing bass synth, kick organ pedals and play LH bass, all well balanced w/ the drums and the rest of the band.

With small speakers, often you hear boosted low mids and the ear itself completes the picture.

Psychoacoustics ...

Have also in mind in most instrument amps AND cheap subwoofers you won´t find the best bass speakers anyway.

A.C.

I think CPS is on to something with this SpaceStation thing. I, for one, crave dimensionality and spaciousness in my sound.

I took a flyer on a Bose L1 Model II in my quest. Great for low-volume, intimate gigs, but got absolutely crushed by any electric band. Way 'spensive, too.

Not worried about the bass thing for the type of music I play. Either the unit will be sufficient, or I'll plug in a K12 or two if needs help.

Since I tend to play with moderately loud groups, I'm wondering how well it will stand up to the cacophony of guitar, drums, etc. Looks a little light in the wattage department, but I'm open minded. Maybe haul it along with my existing stereo rig for a better "fill"?

And, then, product execution: reliability, etc.

But I'm definitely interested.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Which bass amp?

I use an SWR workingman's 10 (sorry, I said 12", it's a 10" actually). It's small, light, and fills out the low end.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I can't wait to hear some of the reviews on this once some people have it in hand. My thought is (which I commented on before) is it'd be a good solution to gigs where I'm not using IEM's, but still want stereo. I'd use my K10 as the sub, that has plenty of low end even without the bass boost engaged. I don't kick bass, and I'm usually running into the PA, so there's a good chance I'd rarely need to use a sub anyway. With the Floyd band I might need a sub since there are sound effects and low synth sounds that could benefit from the sub.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My problem with this lack of low end is that taking two amps defeats some of the purpose of a single stereo amp/box. If I'm taking two amps to the gig I can make it stereo anyway...

SO is the CPS v3 worth it? I'll not know if I do not purchase it.

Agree Andy, except the concept of this is it sounds good in a wider field than 2 speakers set to where you have to be in a sweet spot to catch the best stereo image. The way it's supposed to throw the sound with a Leslie effect is pretty intriguing to me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My problem with this lack of low end is that taking two amps defeats some of the purpose of a single stereo amp/box. If I'm taking two amps to the gig I can make it stereo anyway...

Potentially, I think the key is what was described in garnermike's post earlier in this thread. If you want a stereo effect live, the SpaceStation may be better than two amps. The problem with two amps for stereo is that the effect only works well within a somewhat narrow sweet spot. The SpaceStation is supposed to provide a spacious stereo effect pretty much anywhere.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Right, that's the whole point of this. Aspen says the stereo field is literally the same anywhere in the room you're in and even in an adjoining room. Two single point speakers can't come close to that if it works as described. I know that part of the answer to the volume question is this true stereo field sounds so complete that you don't need mega power to be heard both by you as the performer and anywhere out in the audience. It's supposed to be the same. Maybe that's the answer to my question earlier, it just doesn't seem like that's possible from looking at it.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...