Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

SK-1 (61 key) Gig bag: I guess the Hammond name on a bag is nice (but $150.???).... The "tactical" gun bag at Cabelas (IK-230625) is tough as nails, has three pockets (plus you acan add more via the "loops" and is around $60. is padded and fits like a glove. You can get the cammo version and really freak-out the bouncer when you walk through the club....

Looking into getting this case but I see the internal length dimension is 42" while the SK-1 is 35" long. Does the Hammond move around inside the case?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

If you mean the original hammond bag: there is a little space next to the left end cap of the hammond sk1 which is supposed to be used to store the external power adapter (and/or for example a yamaha fc7 foot pedal swell). There is also a protection pad which is in between to protect the sk1's left end cap from getting damaged by the plastic parts of the power adapter, etc.
Hammond SK1, Doepfer D3m, Hohner ORT-100, Roland SA-300

If you mean the original hammond bag: there is a little space next to the left end cap of the hammond sk1 which is supposed to be used to store the external power adapter (and/or for example a yamaha fc7 foot pedal swell). There is also a protection pad which is in between to protect the sk1's left end cap from getting damaged by the plastic parts of the power adapter, etc.

No, I meant the tactical gun case from Cabelas.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

last week at a gig my sk1-73 cut out - still powered up lights on etc but nothing coming out of it - running mono out through my vent...

I come back on stage and all of a sudden it is working again - ?!?

has anyone experienced anything like this?

Yep, had exactly this happen too

SK2 Sound Prolem

My SK2 is currently back at Hammond in the Netherlands, last info I had they thought it might be "one of the smaller ic components. This will mean a board replacement"

thanks for the input and link - so did yours function properly again afterwards? mine has been perfect since then...

what is a "smaller ic component? and when you say board replacement is that as in keyboard or as in circuit board?

Hi

The SK2 is now back and working fine - Hammond UK said it was down to "a power supply component issue"

cheers

Good to hear - thnx for the update

I finally figured out that one of my newer cables shorting was the issue when it happened at rehearsal - felt like I should have figured that out sooner - on the other hand I guess I'm pretty lucky to have taken 12 years now for my first cable failure... :D

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Anybody have new info on the CPS SpaceStation v3? Love the specs (except the weight which has increased by a third since the Mark II) and I can listen to Aspen Pittman talk about the theory of sound reproduction for hours, but I'm wondering about availability, about using it for anything other than my SK-1, etc. My guy at Sweetwater hasn't even had the orientation lecture on it yet, and it's my understanding they're supposed to be getting it first. Anyone know anything new?
Legend Live, SK-1, Leslie 2101, Spacestation v3, MX-49, and a ton of tube preamps....

Anybody have new info on the CPS SpaceStation v3? Love the specs (except the weight which has increased by a third since the Mark II) and I can listen to Aspen Pittman talk about the theory of sound reproduction for hours, but I'm wondering about availability, about using it for anything other than my SK-1, etc. My guy at Sweetwater hasn't even had the orientation lecture on it yet, and it's my understanding they're supposed to be getting it first. Anyone know anything new?

I'm interested in this as well, it would be a nice small room solution for me when I'm not using my IEM's. I've been keeping an eye on the Sweetwater site but there haven't been any updates.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have played over 300 gigs since August 2011 with my SK1, packing it in this Gator bag:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKB49/

Yes, I know it's a 49-key bag, but the SK1's 69-keys fits perfectly. And nary a scratch to date.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

Not me. Still using my GrooveTubes/Fender Mark II SpaceStation with my SK1. Still liking it.

www.mikemickxer.com

just added a self-made halfmoon switch to my SK1. it still needs some lacquer/color but it works fine. I used a 3-way megaswitch. i had to try out two models. the cheaper one did not work as good: when going from left to middle - from slow to stop - it caused the SK1 simulation to toggle to "fast" for some milliseconds or so and this resulted in the leslie sim speeding up quite a bit before going into stop mode... but the other switch i use here does its job). It also works fine with my Hohner ORT 100 Leslie.

switch.jpg

BBblues, Your ingenuity and craftsmanship are extremely impressive. That rig is really beautiful. I wish I had your stellar fabrication skills. Incidentally,you inspired me to break out my version II DB1 Ocean Beach drawbars that I used to use with a Nord C2 and update and reconfigure them for use on the lower manual of my SK2. Works great and makes tweaking settings on the fly so much easier. It's also nice to know that The C2D didn't obliterate OBDave's (another very smart guy)customer base. Again,great work,BB.

I just joined the bunch - bought a used SK1 from GC online, it arrived today, very good condition and it is a 73 instead of 61 (I won't complain at all). Tomorrow I'll update the OS and tonewheels and start setting up my own favorites.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks guy for the feedback! Very much appreciated!

@MoodyBluesKeys: Congrats, I would recommend you to also soon try to edit some of the deeper settings to your liking. Y I find that I am still learning and discovering new things in the SK1 after using it for more than 9 months now.

You can edit every parameter through menu or easier through pressing the concerning button for a short period of time. These are parameters I found important to play with:

- leslie parameters (I like to make the "rise, fall" parameter a bit shorter because this comes closer to my Hohner ORT leslie and reacts faster)

- overdrive settings (not only EpAmp is usable but with the right expression pedal setting I find Tube and Clip also nice models to give your chords a little push)

- expression pedal settings (the reaction curve, how low will the volume get, when does it start to distort) - very important feature!!

- under the menu "Patch" you can edit if you like to change all parameters or just some of them when choosing another user/factory-preset/favorite. I often like to set it to "change only upper drawbars and no other parameters". This way I can use the favorite buttons like the inverse preset keys of a b3 for the upper manual.

- try editing the spring reverb to your likings

- set the parameter "sounding point" to "deep" in order to be able to play faster trills

have fun!

I just joined the bunch - bought a used SK1 from GC online, it arrived today, very good condition and it is a 73 instead of 61 (I won't complain at all). Tomorrow I'll update the OS and tonewheels and start setting up my own favorites.

You should have bought a VR09. It's a much better keyboard, and you can get used to the keybed. :roll:

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

@BBblues:

Thanks for the info. I'm adding your post to a text file that I made over the weekend going through all 34 pages of this thread and picking out useful information.

@DanL:

Thanks, but I'll just stay out of the VR09 vs Hammond discussions :hand::saber::keys: - I've never gone with the crowd (example - I don't own any Yamaha, Korg, or Roland, but do own a bunch of Kurzweils). The SK1 keyboard reminds me of the Electro 3 keyboard, right down to starting on F instead of E. But, it is still nice to have those extra 12 keys.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

lol, I was just pushing buttons. I love my SK1-73...

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

- set the parameter "sounding point" to "deep" in order to be able to play faster trills

have fun!

Wouldn't setting it to Auto so the organ notes trigger at the shallow point make fast trills easier?

A half moon switch with a momentary toggle would work the same way a foot switch does. Tapping the switch post with the side of the hand would toggle between fast and slow, holding it with the side of the hand for a second would stop the Leslie.

>>Not me. Still using my GrooveTubes/Fender Mark II SpaceStation with my SK1. Still liking it.<<<

Sure, if I could find one of THOSE, I'd be set. 32 lbs vs. 44 lbs would make a huge difference to me - this is the setup for those little Blues clubs I play where I want to carry in 50 lbs of gear, tops, instead of the full rack and powered PA speakers and a Motion Sound Pro 3T, etc etc. Would seriously pay through the nose for a Mk II

Legend Live, SK-1, Leslie 2101, Spacestation v3, MX-49, and a ton of tube preamps....

have fun!

Wouldn't setting it to Auto so the organ notes trigger at the shallow point make fast trills easier?

Now that you mention it, it makes sense again! xD Sometimes I should reread more carfully before posting...

The SK1 is now updated OS, Jim Alfredson's tonewheel sets & setup, several libraries installed. I have existing Kurzweil dual pedals that have a TRS connector, and have found that the Kurzweil CC-1 Continuous Control pedal (10K linear) works rather well for Expression control - it is close to linear in the normal (EXP-50) position. MIDI values go from 0 to 127 reasonably smoothly.

Jim

The Expression settings (Pg. 79 #'s 6 - 10) will help dial in the pedal and how you want it to affect the expression. Particularly the curve (#10). It will also affect how the overdrive changes if you have it set to be changed along with expression (pg. 92 #2).

I just played with those. 100%, curve 1, and normal. I left the minimum at -30, didn't change the bass or treble from the defaults.

The accessory sounds and library sounds are not quite up to the PC3, but they are definitely usable.

I also set ten favorites. I'm sure there will be other changes, but it sounds good enough to try out Friday night and Sunday.

Jim

On the topic of KB stands....

I play double keyboards, an SK1 up top and a Yamaha MX49 below (for left-hand bass only).

I probably have bought and retired more KB stands than anyone over the last 5 years, running from cheaper double-X types to the over-engineered, very expensive and very breakable (too many moving parts!) K&M Spider Pro. Did not like any of them, because of either limitations on distance between KBs, the KB angle adjustments, or floor room for several KB and vocal mic pedals I use.

Finally, rigged up my own custom stand (from two existing stands on the market) that is a good as it gets, IMO.

Took this unit as the bottom/base:

(https://onstagestands.com/products/view/40430/117105)

and then mounted just the top of the following unit on top of that bottom/base:

(https://onstagestands.com/products/view/29886/116995)

Because the SK1 and MX49 are so very light, mounting the two pieces together can be quickly and securely done with industrial-strength Velcro wrap-arounds.

Lots of floor space for pedals. All-adjustable for any KB distances and angles. Both fold up very compactly so they hardly take up much space at all in my vehicle. And assembly and break-down are very quick at a gig.

www.mikemickxer.com

I use that bottom as a holder for my rack, I've also used it for my SK1 on a single board gig, and I've used it to elevate my K10 up off the floor. A nice versatile piece.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 3 weeks later...
I have played over 300 gigs since August 2011 with my SK1, packing it in this Gator bag:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKB49/

Yes, I know it's a 49-key bag, but the SK1's 69-keys fits perfectly. And nary a scratch to date.

I use the same bag, very well priced, and great protection.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!