Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Thanks Ken for all the info on light painting - sounds FUN! I would love to dress up like a burgler and have a go at this.....have added it to my bucket list. :-) Great station entrance shot!!

Also on my bucket list is macro photography: your insect pics are incredible, beautiful & very inspirational, Mike.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much Joe. :) The next thing I am hoping to photograph is a boat, sailing too close to the wind.... There is a nice one docked not far from here named the J.M. Foolhardy which I have my eye on......... ;)

Forest shots aren't easy, that is a good one xxKnuckles. I was out in the redwoods last year and although I took a whole bunch of shots, I didn't come away with much of anything that really captured it.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Also on my bucket list is macro photography: your insect pics are incredible, beautiful & very inspirational, Mike.

Thanks - Well if you have old lenses that don't adapt well to a modern camera sometimes there are other uses. I shoot most of these Macro shots with an old Minolta 50mm lens. The adapters for Canon that allow proper focus have other lenses in them which ruin the optics of a good lens. If you take the glass out of these adapters the 50mm lens becomes a macro lens. I can get even closer using an old "extension tube" which was also a Minolta 2x adapter which has removable glass.

In any case it is something interesting to shoot right in my own backyard. :D

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thank you so much Joe. :) The next thing I am hoping to photograph is a boat, sailing too close to the wind.... There is a nice one docked not far from here named the J.M. Foolhardy which I have my eye on......... ;)
LMFAO

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

For doing pro photography, I'd want another cam, but still, it's interesting to try to get an image through some fun HDR processing, and make a JPG work in "Theatre Mode" on a good screen:

http://www.theover.org/Keybdmg/dsc00500_lumcs.jpg

Also, even though I hate it this crop from one of the "fly pictures" doesn't reach a sharpness of a certain kind that would be fun to play with, it does work as an image, and get's to occupy full contrast range in a decent way.

Some nice pictures here, but I'd like to suggest even getting a B&W of something trivial right, it can be a lot of work with lighting, processing according to traditional lines etc.!

T.

Forest shots aren't easy, that is a good one xxKnuckles. I was out in the redwoods last year and although I took a whole bunch of shots, I didn't come away with much of anything that really captured it.

Thank you so very much Mike!! :) That makes me feel a lot better - hearing that you also find it tricky. Yes, I took loads that day and binned them all except about three.... Thank goodness I am operating with pixels rather than film!

Thanks - Well if you have old lenses that don't adapt well to a modern camera sometimes there are other uses. I shoot most of these Macro shots with an old Minolta 50mm lens. The adapters for Canon that allow proper focus have other lenses in them which ruin the optics of a good lens. If you take the glass out of these adapters the 50mm lens becomes a macro lens. I can get even closer using an old "extension tube" which was also a Minolta 2x adapter which has removable glass.

In any case it is something interesting to shoot right in my own backyard. :D

Really interesting to hear that, Mike. Thank you. :)

One from last month at the beach:

http://ppcdn.500px.org/81936407/4feded2096c41b939c9b3dd462f2e1921d1ae23c/4.jpg

Holden Beach by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

One of the things I am enjoying about photography is the complete unexpectedness & randomness of it. One day, there is a plain unadorned tree in your garden, the next day, it presents you with these .....

To my eyes, these toadstools look like they are being held in a giant hand...

Unfortunately today for the first time my iPad was too big to fit into the space where I was trying to take the 2nd photo - so I could not get the unobstructed view of the fungi which I wanted.

15157212582_b7d4fc886d_b.jpg

Handful of fungi by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

15134576266_1a31729c9d_b.jpg

September fungi by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

15157227792_f616f64a6d_b.jpg

Toadstools by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

Thanks Ken for all the info on light painting - sounds FUN! I would love to dress up like a burgler and have a go at this.....have added it to my bucket list. :-) Great station entrance shot!!

Thanks!

Light painting photographers can sometimes look a lot like ninjas. Some cover their faces with black as well, so it can look a bit odd if you get stopped by security or police.

Some animals I found on a trip last week:

http://mike-warren.net/site201201/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/M20140907071655-web.jpg

http://mike-warren.net/site201201/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/M20140907080337-web.jpg

http://mike-warren.net/site201201/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/M20140907073123-web.jpg

http://mike-warren.net/site201201/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/M20140907072000-web.jpg

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I should mention that one of my photos, The Forever Tree, shot up to the Popular photo on the photographer's page 500px, peaking with a Pulse of 99.7, as they like to call it on this site.

http://500px.com/photo/82755141/the-forever-tree-by-ken-lee

It's a high-res photo of a beautiful tree taken in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest north of where I live.

For some reason, I didn't see the others up above by Pale and xKnuckles, which I also really enjoy!!

Many thanks Ken. :)

I am not at all surprised to hear that your forever tree is so popular! It is one of my favourite photos of yours. Absolutely stunning. Congratulations!!

I don't know anything about the 500px site, but attempted to give it another "like" - but it wouldn't let me.... :( Ah well, I shall continue to like it from afar. :)

Great job Ken. Great bird photos Mike! Love the Macro shot Pale.

I was stuck at Newark airport for a few extra hours last night and managed to get this, shot through the glass at the end of the terminal. I have others with the moon really low in the sky but they'll require a lot of clean up.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/83037431/53c0dbfc857062911d0381aa5c912107a57c5fd4/4.jpg

WTC 9/11 from Newark Airport by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

Sweet. What are the bluish lights that are going straight up, Mike?
That would be the site of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My new "Macro extension tubes" arrived today. Walked around for a while looking for something cool to take a picture of but didn't find anything. Just when I was going inside, I spotted this bumble bee sitting on a leaf. I started taking pictures but I thought he was dead. Then he moved and stood up on his back legs looking at me and I took this picture. He's still out there hours later, I assume he's not liking the cold weather that rolled in.

15033031139_3ae5064a2e_b.jpgBumble Bee by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Sweet. What are the bluish lights that are going straight up, Mike?
That would be the site of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

Got it. Much easier to see with my home monitor than at work, or I woulda figured that out.