Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Btw, if you bypass its sim and hook the HX3 to a Leslie or other sim, do you still have that problem?

less audible, but yes, the same.

the problem is that there is no adjustable volume.

previous version, using the direct out signal - no leslie simulation - allowed to adjust the volume/AMP output. now the volume is fixed, not adjustable....

other example,

sounds VERY GOOD! very "real"

:2thu:

Why does the organ always sound dirty? Same thing with the GSI Burn videos, the sound is always gritty , great for rock but questionable in a jazz setting or even a mellow setting.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Why does the organ always sound dirty? Same thing with the GSI Burn videos, the sound is always gritty , great for rock but questionable in a jazz setting or even a mellow setting.

Because I suspect that Marco has a strong preference for distorted sounds :laugh::2thu:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

less audible, but yes, the same.

the problem is that there is no adjustable volume.

previous version, using the direct out signal - no leslie simulation - allowed to adjust the volume/AMP output. now the volume is fixed, not adjustable....

Marco,- what are you demonstrating ?

A HX3v2 expander module w/ upgraded HX3v3 firmware,- or an all new HX3v3 expander module (w/ plexi frontpanel) ?

Your former Youtube videos show a HX3 expander module already and that were the times the HX3v3 module wasn´t available at all.

I understood, the HX3v3 is a new hardware circuit board AND new firmware, the board available separately or alread built into the expander module case.

Older circuit boards and expandermodules were upgradable by firmware only to get the new functionality/features of the HX3 v3.

So, can it be that only you guys who buyed early have this issue ?

IIRC, some buyed the HX3 board w/ licences then built it into a case of their choice and upgraded firmware to be up to date,- others buyed a v2 revision special edition w/ blue illuminated plexi frontpanel, then updated firmware to get revision v3 features.

The whole thing is a bit confusing because there are so many variants out there since it was called H.O.A.X, then HX3, HX3v2 and now HX3v3,- and there´s the Hammond XB2 retrofit which is now available in hardware revision 2 too.

Not to forget to mention the blue illuminated plexi frontpanel is still a special edition w/ the new HX3v3 revision module and all the audio demos are from prototypes and older versions.

My impression is they are still tinkering successfully (!) w/ improvements and bugfixes, but it needs some time to sort out everything and to get it to perfection.

The Keyboardpartner company is not big, it was a Hammond organ and Leslie supporting company offering parts and customizations and this HX3 v3 organ expander module is probably their 1st complete MIDI hardware product on the way establishing in the market.

I think it makes sense observing the evolution and waiting for the reports of MAG organs w/ that engine built in.

I also expect to see the previously announced HX3 module w/ drawbars and some essential buttons,- it will come sooner or later.

It might be better waiting ´til end of year or ´til next Musikmesse before buying a module.

That doesn´t mean it makes no sense to buy XB2 retrofits or the HX3 board alone to build it into existing organs.

But the standalone module is obviously a different task which requires more software features than a replacement engine board for a organ where you connect keys w/ Fatar Scan boards directly not using MIDI only.

Just only my thoughts ...

Now back to output volume on the module:

It´s a MIDI module ...

Now, you say, there´s no way to reduce overall volume via MIDI CC#7 while using MIDI CC#11 for the swell pedal ?

No ?

A.C.

IMO, all the major players today sound pretty good on the clean sounds. It's when you start to kick in the overdrive that you hear much bigger differences between the different brands. So many demos were with clean jazz sounds... that's why my own soundcloud comparison that I posted a while back focussed on the gritty rock sounds as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi Marco,

just updated my HX3mk2-Board (in expander) to 3.62 today.

Everything works fine, no "digital clipping!".

Maybe something is wrong with your board.

You should contact Carsten....

Ciao

Markus

Dear all!

Finally the HX3 expander is back home with updated board.

I just made a couple of test, so be patient, as soon as Ill have some time Ill make a detailed audio/video test.

NEW Leslie simulation!!!!!

:boing:

Leslie in stereo is great and, thanks to this improvement, finally the overall sound is at very top level among the last generation clonewheels.

Really adjustable and easy to edit with the easy-to-use front panel (I still do not use the pc editor, for the moment).

Whit this new feature (stereo leslie) the overdrive effect sounds further better and natural.

Finally, my ears can feel the correct behavior of a saturated tube-amped Leslie.

OK, it is NOT like having a saturated 147 or 122 Leslie screaming in front of you, this is clear to all of us :roll:

But the simulation (leslie + AMP/drive) is able enough to deceive and persuade my ears.

Unfortunately, although the above mentioned features make the HX3 sounding great, there are a couple of "bugs" to be fixed, but the sound is really terrific.

Here a quick example of the HUGE sound quality of this little beast.

Expander stereo out direct to a Roland SA-1000 stereo amp.

Audio taken with a ZOOM H2n placed in front of the amp.

AMP saturation....

Some (three or four notes only) keys on the upper two octaves produce (with the AMP/DRIVE knob turned at levels just starting from 1/4) a digital clipping noise (you can hear a couple of that in my mp3).

I determined that it is NOT a problem with my amp, or with my pc soundboard, or with my headphones, but it is a sort of digital clipping IF something digital is involved - generated by the HX3 itself.

Maybe the problem should depend on the fact that HX3 has NO internal volume knob?

Maybe it should be sufficient to attenuate the internal audio signal with a new system upgrade?

Hopefully yes.

Stay tuned.

Ciao

Marco

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Hi Marco,

just updated my HX3mk2-Board (in expander) to 3.62 today.

Everything works fine, no "digital clipping!".

Maybe something is wrong with your board.

You should contact Carsten....

Ciao

Markus

thanks again!

I'm not able to do the update by myself....

so I'll send back the expander to Carsten, for the 4th time....

not feasable for me.

this board is growing up month after month, becaming the reference for hammond digital clonewheels. but still too difficult for the "normal" people to update.... (also because of lack of information in english language....)

I still have not anderstood what to do for the update :roll:

and no easy to have quick replay (as I know Carsten is very busy with this project - and with his real life too! :laugh: - ).

I bought the expander when it was just relised for the first time, but I used it a couple of time only (all these months it was travelling to/from Germany :roll:).

I'll wait for Carsten replay.... maybe I'll buy the new board (when it will be "stable" for at least 6 months :roll:) ....

Ciao!

M

I'm not able to do the update by myself....

so I'll send back the expander to Carsten, for the 4th time....

:freak:

... but still too difficult for the "normal" people to update.... (also because of lack of information in english language....)

Isn´t that english ?

HX3 Remote_Update app

I still have not anderstood what to do for the update :roll:

:wacko:

Did the procedure described in the Wiki change ?

A.C.

....with the right cable and the remote software it is done within 5 minutes!

Really easy, and I am not a programmer or computer freak...

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Is there a demo with a working Leslie stereo update that I might listen to before purchasing one of these HEX-3s..?

I use a regular 88 note controller and an expression pedal with 8 x drawbar/swell combinations, I sure hope I can match up the CCs the HEX-3 uses, or at least re order them as I don't have the option of a free hand to bend notes or shove in drawbars.

Be nice if you could route in a stereo signal to the internal Leslie too.

Thanks

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 1 month later...

ciao,

solved at 80% the clip issue, thanks to Carsten's help :2thu:

he suggested me to reduce the parameter 607 (Leslie Level Input) with the HX3 Remote editor. it works, but still some unespected clipping occurs, so I'll try to upgrade the firmware too (but I'm still not familiar with the procedure....).

new demo coming soon....

:hand:

VERY good rock sounds indeed!

Now can you please play a couple of chords with a more jazzy sound like 888000000 with C3 on and yeah... "cleaner"? :laugh:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

So many different videos, nice sounds too but is this just the HEX with nothing else?

It appears as though you have a controller with 2 x manuals very cool set up and I see the module, but just need to know if that's the way this module sounds by itself.

Thanks for the vids and any help.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

yes, this is the direct stereo output with internal leslie sim.

just a little external reverb added during the mix

Thank you !

That´s what I hoped for and is cool !

I visited the (most in german language) forum today and following a link there. In the HX3 Wiki, I´ve read about the output routing options of the latest HX3 board and expander module.

It´s pretty complete and includes the standard L+R stereo w/ organ preamp modelling as well as Leslie power amp modelling before the rotary stage.

In addition there´s "organ direct out" on p.ex. left and "amp out" on the right (both in mono) possible too, which allows usage of other amps and outboard gear.

Another one is separating the bass from the rest of the organ, both mono too then.

For those who build HX3 into existing organs (H/S XB2 p.ex.) or other cases larger than the HX3 expander´s half-rack case, there´s now the HX3 mk3 extension board which offers some more output and input options, FX return is one of these.

I can imagine, the HX3 mk3 board plus expansion board in a 1HU rack being controlled by a drawbar- & rocker switches - remote controller unit is in reach soon.

A.C.

KRK,

Did you midi map the drawbars and switches inside the HX3 or the Hamichord? Do the black preset keys work too?

Maybe a useful info even I cannot guarantee functionality of black preset keys:

"HX3 firmware supports Native Instrument B4 (0), Voce MIDI Drawbars (1), Hamichord (2), Hammond XK (3), Hammond SK (4) and italian KeyB (5) MIDI CC sets. Default is NI B4 (supported by Doepfer d3c drawbar controller and Böhm/Keyswerk d4b controller). MIDI CC set may be changed by menu on XB-2 retrofit kit, by MenuPanel "MIDI CC" entry or serial commands"

Using HX3 w_MIDI Controllers

I understand you select the drawbars MIDI CC mapping on the expander module from preprogrammed sets 0-5 mentioned above.

The HX3 expander module talks MIDI Prg.Changes.

When the black preset keys send MIDI Prg Change numbers, it should work.

A.C.

KRK,

Did you midi map the drawbars and switches inside the HX3 or the Hamichord? Do the black preset keys work too?

ciao,

the HX3 expander is ALREADY mapped for different clonewheels/controllers so I jus selected midi map = hamichord and all is working.

the preset keys.... I just use the last two keys in order to select the set of drawbars, I have to try with the other preset keys (but it is not important for me because I never use presets with my C3 hammond too).

The reason I asked is that I am sure the midi routings for my custom controller are not the same as Hami or anybody else.

I'm wondering if HX3 can be individually programmed for it.

Yes, with the new Remote Software you can create your

on Midi CC Sets:

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_Remote/Update_Application

The reason I asked is that I am sure the midi routings for my custom controller are not the same as Hami or anybody else. I'm wondering if HX3 can be individually programmed for it.
It mentions the Voce MIDI drawbar unit as being compatible. On Main mode, the Voce sends 12-20 for drawbars 1-9. If your controller can send 12-20 you are good to go.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band