Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2838331 - 02/26/17 05:52 PM Re: Ibanez Artcore Bass AFB200 Hollow Body [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
I dig the SRH500 from what I saw on line. But, I sure would like a magnetic pickup tossed in there also. Keep it simple....Vol Vol for knobs, like on my Michael Kelly Hybrid guitar (the first one, with only one magnetic pickup) That'd be hip.

BP Island
#2840020 - 03/06/17 01:27 PM Re: Ibanez Artcore Bass AFB200 Hollow Body [Re: Paul K]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
The Ibanez SRH500 now shows up in Sweetwater's catalogue, but I still haven't heard any audio demos of it, either fretted or fretless. I prefer ebony for fretless so probably would only consider the fretted model.

Rosewood doesn't work for me with fretless. Nor do synthetics. But wenge is fine. Maybe maple, but I've never seen that.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (03/06/17 01:27 PM)

#2840087 - 03/06/17 05:47 PM Re: Ibanez Artcore Bass AFB200 Hollow Body [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder

Rosewood doesn't work for me with fretless.

Indeed, ebony is preferred. But a little tong oil on rosewood hardens it up quite a bit. Ground wounds or flats or nylon, and the board wear is minimal--My #1 is rosewood, and it's been my #1 for over 15 years without a fretboard job. I'd say if the rest of the bass is what you want at the proper price point, don't let rosewood be the deal killer.

#2840125 - 03/06/17 09:48 PM Re: Ibanez Artcore Bass AFB200 Hollow Body [Re: Paul K]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cool, good to know. I wish I'd known that when I got rid of another rosewood fretless a few years back. All of my other fretless basses have been ebony, except for my first one, which was a converted 70's Jazz Bass (huh, it might have been maple!). Jaco-style, right?

#2841215 - 03/12/17 05:25 PM Re: Ibanez Artcore Bass AFB200 Hollow Body [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today, I tried out the brand-new Verythin reissue by Hofner ($700, 30", 335-style) and like it quite a bit, but it needs a bit more work by the proprietor before I feel safe buying it, as the intonation isn't quite there even after he did a rush job while I was in the store (it was WAY off at first). I compared to a Beatles Bass (the lower-priced Ignition model) and they felt and sounded nothing like each other in spite of similar PUPS.

I am thinking of going for this instead of the new D'angelico EX-Bass, but need to compare specs first as the EX-Bass is a thin body as well and I have concluded that this is what I need/want for my semi-hollow or full hollow bass guitar.

The Hofner Verythin has an assertive tone and a solid feel, unlike a lot of smaller scale basses that feel more like guitars. In fact, it doesn't even feel like a short scale. Also, the string spacing is good enough for finger style playing, even though one would most likely primarily use a plectrum on this bass. The tone is great either way, and the 335-style controls give a wide range of sounds.

I had heard two YouTube demos that impressed me, so was curious to try this out today when the store where I did my Guild acoustic guitar upgrade got one in stock. I may go back in a week after the guy has had time to correct its floating bridge and pickup issues, to reverify the intonation at the twelfth fret and above.

The finish is traditional tobacco burst, which I feel looks nicer on this body shape than on the standard Beatles Bass viola/violin inspired shape.

Of course, it would benefit from flats but ships with rounds. McCartney used Pyramids for the most part, and those are $90/set!

Note that there is also a 34" long scale version available in a nice cherry burst:

http://www.hofner.com/guitars-basses/electric-basses/other-bass/verythin-ct-long-scale-bass.html

Given how well balanced the 30" short scale version seems, I think I would just stick with that if I go for this bass. Hollow and semi-hollow basses tend to have pretty high tension, so 34" can be a bit hard; 32" can be a nice compromise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-BRD94wEY

I've linked a quality video above, as the guy who does Hofner's own demos is one of the worst bassists I've heard in my entire life. He uses crazy vibrato on every note!

Edited by Mark Schmieder (03/12/17 05:38 PM)

#2842757 - 03/18/17 07:55 PM Re: Ibanez Artcore Bass AFB200 Hollow Body [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My technician highly recommends the Hofner Verythin, and said not to worry about the intonation problems I experienced in the store as it's an easy fix to the bridge and setup. He recommends it far above any other hollow or semi-hollow bass, including the new D'Angelico EX-Bass.

If I have the dough, I'll buy it this week, and also will try their Verythin Guitar which I didn't bother trying last week but which my technician says is very well built and has unique settings and sounds.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2