Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

It's interesting if you have an (old) "analog" camera, or possibly the viewer of a digital reflex camera, so that you can see the 'lens" image with no digital coloring, to compare the analog feel of the blur, and the various settings of the diaphragm with the digital recording (preferable as high res and bit depth as you can make).

Also, the settings of your monitor will make a great deal of difference when judging the quality of the blur in the DOF images.

T.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photo, Joe. Kitty does not seem amused.
It was only after we brought him home that we realized he has the Crazy Eyes. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

http://ppcdn.500px.org/78347587/71f5b1aafb601e1266e1f32fc02302eb5a40cb67/4.jpg

Hedden Creek by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

NEED HELP. This is my first post in this thread. Excuse me if this has been addressed before. I am trying to help my wife with file management of her pics using iphoto on mac. I know it is not the best program, but it is what we are using now. She has uploaded albums she has created in iphoto to facebook. What we have discovered is that when she tries to delete a pic inside her original iphoto library that she no longer wants in that library, if that pic has been uploaded into a facebook album (that she wants to keep), it warns you it will be deleted from the facebook album too, not just the library in iphoto. Her iphoto library is huge and we have learned to create new library. (option button pressed as iphoto is opened) Here is my question. If you create a new library (with a new name)for new iphoto pics, then you start creating albums within that new library for facebook and login to facebook from that new library, do you lose the other albums from the first library from facebook. In other words, will facebook only retain albums from one library. Can facebook keep albums from multible libraries that are connected to the same facebook page/person. Thanks. (in the future we may try to export pics then upload to be free of iphoto) Thanks for any help you can give.

These are some photos from Christmas in San Antonio in 2009. When traveling, I like to photograph the old buildings. Due to access and such, some come out better than others.

14623916107_d4a015e40b_c.jpgIMG_5903 by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

14787459986_9336d3bce6_c.jpgIMG_5927 by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

I got really lucky as the people happened to clear out when I took this one.

14623834338_14d168e7ea_c.jpgIMG_5942 by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

Of course, you guys know I enjoy some humor, too. This was posted at the Hard Rock the day we arrived. It was also up the next day. Erm...

14810100052_6fb593119f_c.jpgIMG_5901 by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

NEED HELP. This is my first post in this thread. Excuse me if this has been addressed before. I am trying to help my wife with file management of her pics using iphoto on mac. I know it is not the best program, but it is what we are using now. She has uploaded albums she has created in iphoto to facebook. What we have discovered is that when she tries to delete a pic inside her original iphoto library that she no longer wants in that library, if that pic has been uploaded into a facebook album (that she wants to keep), it warns you it will be deleted from the facebook album too, not just the library in iphoto. Her iphoto library is huge and we have learned to create new library. (option button pressed as iphoto is opened) Here is my question. If you create a new library (with a new name)for new iphoto pics, then you start creating albums within that new library for facebook and login to facebook from that new library, do you lose the other albums from the first library from facebook. In other words, will facebook only retain albums from one library. Can facebook keep albums from multible libraries that are connected to the same facebook page/person. Thanks. (in the future we may try to export pics then upload to be free of iphoto) Thanks for any help you can give.
If you "disconnect" iPhoto from FB, the pictures will stay. What I think you're seeing is a method that iPhoto gives you to manage your FB photos. There may be a way to turn off the "remove from library will remove from FB" feature but I haven't used it enough to know for sure.

Hi guys:

Don't want to be off topic,i did a search and didn't find how to..

I'm on ipad or mac,and i want to upload my pics on the topic;but i can't find the solution..

I've got only the "insering image "icon who ask me an url,but don't find how to simply upload a file.

May i ask you how to do please?

Many thanks for that.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

Hi Lekanout. I asked the same question not long ago. :) You have to join Flickr and then upload it from there.

On Flickr, there is a small icon that looks like a small box with a curved arrow coming out of it. Click that and choose HTML / UBB code, choose a size no larger than 1024. Copy the code and paste it here.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your pics. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I took these through the plexiglass window at the office. Any tips on getting rid of the haze and reflection from the window?

http://rabj.smugmug.com/Nature/i-jZSxdgW/0/L/Bunny%20Rose-L.jpg

http://rabj.smugmug.com/Nature/i-fbssjKn/0/L/Bunny%20Close-L.jpg

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

A polarizer can help, but the main thing is to get close enough to the glass that there are no reflections on it. Holding a large black object up behind the camera can also solve the problem.

After the fact, they can be made slightly better with a curves adjustment to bring the black level down a little. Let me know if you want me to have a go at it.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

The glass probably shows it's parallax effect, so subtracting a slightly displaced version of the image should be a first order fix. More troublesome is that the cam interprets the light with it's picture making program, and apparently it decided that either the light reflecting from within the office sort of raised the lower illumination values to far above black (without clearly showing the reflected inside office image, maybe because it's out of focus).

Also, the auto-focus could respond quit wrong to the glass. Finally, you could chose to do a white balance on something white outside, so that at least the colors are somewhat corrected away from the glass coloring.

T.

Thanks all for the information. I could not do much setup because we never know when the rabbits are going to appear. 4 babies have been frequenting the landscaping down the hall from my office. The entire wall in that section is glass. It is a high traffic area and they must not be able to see in because they don't run when people come by.

In the close up shot the baby rabbit was right against the glass. You can see the metal framing of the window at the bottom of the picture. The lens was probably a foot away on that shot. In the other shot I was able to get closer to the window. The rabbit was about 2 feet from the window.

Because I was using my old camera and kit lens I was not able to get any bokeh with either shot.

Wow. Thanks Mike. I signed up for the online Photoshop/Lightroom cloud. I'll try that. It has been 8 years or more since I used Photoshop. It seems much more complicated than it used to be. I'd like to have a version without layers. Managing layers is my biggest problem.

Wow. Thanks Mike. I signed up for the online Photoshop/Lightroom cloud. I'll try that. It has been 8 years or more since I used Photoshop. It seems much more complicated than it used to be. I'd like to have a version without layers. Managing layers is my biggest problem.

Lightroom is like Photoshop without layers.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Using full contrast available is fine, you could consider using a curve instead of hard-blackening the lowest illumination values (also, in some cases you can consider the image doesn't portray any real black, so starting a little under the lowest illumination values can be cool.

The above corrected image looks like it could use some color correction, maybe some sort of automatic white balance could quickly help out. Also, taking a jpg as starting point, makes the illumination-stretched result look a bit unnatural, because of the 256-light gradation values having been stretched without concern for rounding issues.

Usually the layer difficulties are a couple of standard things. Sometimes, when you paste New Layer, you need to click on it in some layer list, and actualize it, i.e. "make layer real" or something. Then you must either adjusts it's transparency, and/or the layer combine algorithm to see all layers, and when you're done, use something like Merge Layers Downward to get one layer only, that can be saved as jpg or png.

T.

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/3297-2014-07-12-2315-202sf8iso250-ironworkshop-kenlee_goldpoint-1000px.jpg

Are ghosts still working the late night shift in the iron workshop? An evocative ghost town from yesteryear in the Nevada Desert, Gold Point, formerly Lime Point and Hornsilver before the name change to reflect mining for gold, is a well-preserved ghost town run by Herb Robbins. I believe this iron workshop was built by the Great Western Mine Company. I initially saw it, perched up on a hill, overlooking the expansive desert, and knew I had to photograph this. I lit the interior with a speedlight with a red gel to give the feeling of someone still working long nights. It took quite a number of tries to get this just the way I wanted it to feel. All colored light work was done during the exposure, and is not a Photoshop creation. I stayed here for two nights, photographing the town, enjoying the beauty, and eating delicious food that Herb and Sandy serve. I loved this experience, and hope to return someday. These ghost towns and mines are a part of our rich history, and I am fascinated by the stories they still have left to tell. And these voices seem to whisper a bit more at night.

It is more complicated than before, although the general functions should be about the same. Eight years ago was a long time ago for Photoshop.

You don't have to use layers in Photoshop if you don't want to. However, you're really missing out on a very powerful tool, including blending features and Layer Masks, if you don't.