Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2710185 - 08/01/15 03:33 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Originally Posted By: picker
I really need to drag that thing out and play it more. After reading the Gismotron thread, I'm kinda wondering what it would sound like with an EBow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest&v=7j1HIad78Y0&app=desktop <----check this Vo Wond out Picker...pretty cool! I have to drag mine out of the closet too LOL! cool

E-bow + Lap Steel + Volume pedal. Just try it . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

GP Island
#2710264 - 08/02/15 08:11 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Originally Posted By: picker
I really need to drag that thing out and play it more. After reading the Gismotron thread, I'm kinda wondering what it would sound like with an EBow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest&v=7j1HIad78Y0&app=desktop <----check this Vo Wond out Picker...pretty cool! I have to drag mine out of the closet too LOL! cool

E-bow + Lap Steel + Volume pedal. Just try it . . .

E-Bow + Lap Steel + Volume pedal + echo + reverb = whole lotta big awesome. cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2710273 - 08/02/15 09:24 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Back in about '69 or so, my buddy's dad revealed to us(our band had been together a couple of years by then, and had played at a few "basement parties" at his house)that back in HIS "the day", he used to play what he called "lap guitar" in a local rag-tag country/western band. My buddy had never heard of this before! His dad dragged out the instrument he played. which looked more to me like some kind of dulcimer, but had six high set strings which he placed on his lap and played with a chrome steel slide.
He was pretty good, but claimed he gave it up due to his drinking problem, which he said was very much prevalent in country bands back then(and at the time he was telling us, from my understanding). I gave his axe a try, but got nowhere with it except to elicit robust laughter from everyone in the room. Our friend, who was the classicaslly trained guy I mentioned before, couldn't get anywhere with it either. grin
Whitefang

#2710505 - 08/03/15 12:59 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For anyone interested in a cheap & easy avenue to Slide or Lap Steel, this looks like fun . . . Peavey Powerslide

They offer Black, Red and Ivory, but it seems like the Black has the quickest turnaround time if you order one. For just under $250, I'd love to check one out.

Edited by Winston Psmith (08/03/15 01:00 PM)
Edit Reason: sp.

#2710689 - 08/04/15 08:08 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
grin

Looks like what someone would use for that "Death Metal" lap steel guitar work. grin

But, all kidding aside, the price is right, so why NOT give it a try?
Whitefang

#2710702 - 08/04/15 09:10 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
grin

Looks like what someone would use for that "Death Metal" lap steel guitar work. grin

But, all kidding aside, the price is right, so why NOT give it a try?
Whitefang

Whitefang, look for pics of the old Melobar guitars, some of them are just as wacky-looking.

I remember when Epiphone released the Mandobird, a while back, I thought I should get one, because it just looked like a fun instrument. Of course, I waited, and then they were discontinued. I don't think I want to let this one pass by. I've been working on a version of Sleepwalk, with a friend, and this thing looks perfect for the job.

#2711031 - 08/05/15 04:17 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Winston Psmith]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
An interesting 8-string lap steel came into a GS discussion the other day, sold by Thomann (maybe there's a USA distributor as well). I'm going to look into it.

It's the Harley Benton Slider 8. Anyone familiar with it? Specs sound really good. People who've tried it say it's way better than any of the Asian made modern lap steels (including my Gretsch), and of course 8 strings is nice to have for steelers.

#2711032 - 08/05/15 04:18 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Peavey model is the opposite of what I'm looking for, sound-wise, but it's good they make one because variety is the spice of life and surely there are people out there who want that sound. :-)

#2711771 - 08/08/15 01:30 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My quest is over. I did a lot of research and listening, and for my personal tastes, the old Oahu 8-stringers haves the most versatility and are like a better version of the Supro.

But rather than search old a used Oahu, Supro, or Magnatone, I'll probably go for the Gold Tone 8-string reissue of the Oahu Tonemaster:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/GTLS8.htm

If I find a well taken care of Oahu on Reverb.com though, I may go for that instead. Many people feel the Gold Tones either aren't as good, need a pickup swap, or simply aren't as much bang-for-buck as buying a used Oahu (or Supro or Magnatone, in descending order of preference/workmanship).

One of the key points I keep coming across is that a pro model should have a 25" scale, and that the common 22" to 22.5" scale length is just to help beginners get started. The longer scale length helps with lead line playing and going back and forth between single-note and barre playing.

As many models as he makes, the GeorgeBoards line doesn't get a lot of serious talk on the lap steel forums yet. I didn't like the audio demos I heard of six completely different models; a bit harsh to my ears.

I've tried a lot of lap steels by now, as the local Guitar Center has had quite a few pass through their doors (including Weissenbaum and Rickenbacker). I like the warmth of the Oahu sound, which is also found in the Gold Tone, Supro, and Magnatone. You can always use pedals and amp settings if you want to go harsh, after all.

#2711772 - 08/08/15 01:34 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As a quick followup, I just did a canvas of used gear and prices, and the 6-string Oahu models are all that's out there (pros probably hang on to their 8-string models) and go for $500 to $600, which is the same price as a new Gold Tone.

It's only the pickups that I hear SOME people complain about regarding the Gold Tones, and I actually preferred the original pickup to the swap-ins, based on the audio demos I heard, as it seems to have a sweet voicing.

BTW this is more or less the model that David Lindley used -- probably on most of the Jackson Browne recordings. But don't take my word for it as that is third-hand pass-down from forum postings.

#2711773 - 08/08/15 01:36 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I didn't like the audio demos of there Harley Benton model mentioned earlier, and it really is a budget model vs. intermediate or pro like the Gold Tones.

It did make me aware that 8-string is the way to go, however, as I didn't previously have an awareness that 8-string is standard for pro work as the extra range is needed for many of the tunings to give correct reach for barre chords and even melodic intervals.

#2711777 - 08/08/15 02:08 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

To summarize what one pro said on the lap steel forum, there are enough good ones made now that the trouble of fixing up an old one isn't worth it (unless one lucks out and finds a really good old one that hasn't had much wear).

The point about long scale is that it also helps with harmonics and an overall richer tone, but it's also important to have a wider string spacing at the nut (as on most semi-acoustic resonator Hawai'ian style guitars), e.g. .0375".

#2712302 - 08/10/15 02:59 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Horror show: I got out my Gretsch dobro-style resonator guitar today for the first time in a few months, and the tailpiece had split off on one side!

I hope this is an easy.cheap repair.

Are resonator guitars supposed to have their strings slackened when not in use? For regular guitars, this is not such a good idea (in spite of being folklore that gets handed down; you'll certainly find people on both sides of the issue).

I should have thought of that, as the tension is quite high.

It was stored in the recording room, which gets hotter than any in the house (when not in use) as there are acoustical carpets up on all four walls and thus no air circulation from outside during any time of year -- just air conditioning when turned on (rare).

I was going to take it to the local GC today to compare to a higher-end model that just came in (used). I couldn't read the label near the ceiling and made a note to return with my Gretsch to compare. They probably still have my model, so the comparison is still possible, and it's probably a good thing I and motivation to get it out today vs. later!

This was my first resonator guitar ever. Only a few years old. I love it, but never found time to devote to it yet. Unlike banjo (which I might sell), I felt very connected to the instrument though, so it won't be neglected forever (like the banjo might).

I bought the highest-end Gretsch available at the time, but was still pretty naive about resonators so didn't know about the super-high end models from other manufacturers. Other than for this mishap, the Gretsch is pretty nice. I do prefer the high-tension models that aren't meant to be fretted; I barely notice the effect of the resonator otherwise.

#2712317 - 08/10/15 04:43 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The replacement part for the tai piece had to be back-ordered, but was only $13, and labour (not including setup work with new strings for my preferred tuning as it still had the original string gauges until I knew which tuning I wanted to stick with), should only be about $20. Might be under warranty; it's ambiguous based on what Fender (owner of Gretsch) means by "hardware" being excluded from warranty coverage.

Meanwhile, I tried the used high-end model that and just come in. The same guy had brought in two gorgeous Lowden guitars. The Dobro 27 DLX (didn't know they made wood models!) took considerable pressure to get the resonator twang going, but it might have been how it was set up and tuned, as it was tuned (from bottom to top; my preferred listing order) F#-A#-C#-F#-A#-C# -- which I didn't find too useful as I prefer Hawai'ian style slide guitar.

Here's some info I found on the Dobro model, which turns out to be bubinga wood and a limited edition run from 1995 along with another limited run in 2005 (this one is in near mint condition, listed for $1450 and originally was $3600):

Based on the 1930's model This Dobro Model 27 Deluxe, looks, plays and sounds great. It features a double bound 14" body, square neck, sunburst finish on maple top, dark stain finish on back, sides and (12-fret) neck, solid peghead, ebony fretboard, Pearl Lyre inlays and "Dobro" logo, 19 frets, no holes at end of fretboard, soundwell, spider bridge, 10-1/2" cone, fan design coverplate, 2 sound holes, 3-on-a-plate tuners, 2" nut and a 25" scale. This dobro is loud, open, and deep sounding-it sounds as good as it looks.

There is some confusion though, as the 2005 model (which is what the one I saw looks like -- yet the 1995 model looked about the same) is made of maple:

https://artisanguitars.com/pre-owned-2005-dobro-model-27-deluxe-maple-square-neck-id-9617

Either way, it's a hard wood model and I definitely prefer mahogany for resonator guitars.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (08/10/15 05:20 PM)

#2712322 - 08/10/15 04:53 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had forgotten that Gibson now owns Dobro, and that they canceled all of their own resonator guitar models (which I think were mostly branded as Epiphone).

At Gibson's own site, there is info that this was a limited run of just 15 dobros!

"Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments unveils the new Limited Edition 27 Deluxe Bubinga Dobro, which is made from golden-hued African Bubinga wood a rare refinement that elevates this instrument above even the best traditional Dobros currently available. This beautiful Dobro is constructed in the tradition of the seminal Dobros that set the standard some 75 years ago, and is available in an extremely limited run of just 15 instruments, a rare opportunity for both player and collector."

Here's a dreadfully bad demo of the Dobro by someone whose playing style is 180 from what I look for in a resonator guitar (not to mention out of tune):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pMyN5B9DJ8

Sounds about how the one I tried today sounds. So maybe Dobro just doesn't make very resonant models -- or at least not this particular model? Could it be the bubinga wood at fault? Very heavy wood; probably doesn't vibrate much.

Although I prefer Hawai'ian style to bluegrass style, the video that follows the one linked above is very well-played and is done on a resonator that sounds more resonant and expressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBvGi289OOE

It's a traditional-wood (mahogany) model from Dobro/Gibson, in their Custom Shop line: Gibson Phil Leadbetter Limited Edition Dobro.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (08/10/15 05:16 PM)

#2712323 - 08/10/15 04:55 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Meanwhile, I still plan to upgrade my electric lap steel at some point, to a long-scale 8-string model as mentioned above, and am more likely to use that on recordings earlier than a reso-guitar, but I at least have to take care of my repairs on the Gretsch Bobtail. And after more research, I may decide to buy that Dobro that I saw today.

#2712326 - 08/10/15 05:24 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had originally assumed that an eventual resonator upgrade would go to Guild, and this demo from Acoustic Letter has me looking that direction again:

Guild R37SE Dobro Square-Neck Resonator

http://acousticletter.com/guild-r37se-dobro-square-neck-resonator/

I like the undercurrent of "rough throat" that peaks through now and then. It might be a bit too bright in the upper register and when not being steeled though.

Made of koa, which has similar acoustic properties to mahogany, this resonator sounds more traditional to me than the limited edition "27" model from Dobro/Gibson.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (08/10/15 05:25 PM)

#2712328 - 08/10/15 05:33 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just as with the Lap Steel decision, however, I get pulled back to Gold Tone, who have a nice all solid mahogany model for the intermediate-level price of around $1000:

https://www.goldtone.com/product/pbs/

The Acoustic Letter demo is quite compelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnsPLsyrUuA

Gold Tone uses the Paul Beard resonator, which is one of the best.

Here's a video demo of the Beard signature deluxe model (maple vs. mahogany):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIuaqBjyyn8

Although I love the guy's playing, I can tell that the harder would does limit the resonance, as I suspected. So it's clear I want traditional mahogany.

At the next level up in price are Weber's models (starting at $2500):

http://webermandolins.com/instruments/resonator-guitars/square-neck

They make great mandolins/mandolas. I didn't know until now that they are in the resonator guitar business.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (08/10/15 05:43 PM)

#2712337 - 08/10/15 06:07 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There are four models altogether in the Gold Tone lineup of square neck Paul Beard Signature model Resonator Guitars, including an 8-string model:

https://www.goldtone.com/product/pbs/

https://www.goldtone.com/product/pbs-8/

https://www.goldtone.com/product/pbs-d/

https://www.goldtone.com/product/pbs-m/

Note, however, that the 8-string model uses a bolt-on neck, as it is expected to need more adjustments than the 6-string models.

Also, I keep having my preference for mahogany over maple reinforced -- especially with such similar demos of related models (as in the links above).

I have a feeling that 8-string models are rare for Resonators vs. for professional Lap Steels and that it makes sense to stick with 6 string models.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (08/10/15 06:09 PM)

#2712339 - 08/10/15 06:27 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Turns out that Weissenborn that I saw a few months ago is a current production model from Gold Tone. Here's the link for the entire series (of three models):

https://www.goldtone.com/product-category/guitar-style/weissenborn/

They are often referred to as "hollow neck resonator guitars".

#2773184 - 04/15/16 08:35 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

2 to check out:

Scott Walker stereo lap steel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNC-4kUYJg

Clinesmith 8-string (I think) cast aluminum lap steel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwjBar9xPzA

#2773194 - 04/15/16 09:58 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
The Aluminum lap steel playing Crazy is very cool Hugo! cool

#2773198 - 04/15/16 10:45 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Aluminum lap steel playing Crazy is very cool Hugo! cool

the boy's got serious tone, don't he?

#2773252 - 04/16/16 08:24 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Some Very Serious Tone! and some very cool licks...like volume swells and I really loved the way he could angle the bar/slide and move up or down with 2 or 3 passing chords. Very close to a pedal steel, at least as close as one could ask for from a lap steel... cool

#2847772 - 04/07/17 06:47 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not sure whether this should go here or in Weird Guitar Appreciation:

Hell, maybe it doesn't belong in either one.

#2847781 - 04/07/17 08:08 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
Not sure whether this should go here or in Weird Guitar Appreciation:

Hell, maybe it doesn't belong in either one.

He says revolutionary, I say evolutionary. It's kind of equal parts Jeff Healey overhand technique, Chapman Stick & electric mountain dulcimer. The sounds are good, seems like a tough learning curve, though.

#2848789 - 04/12/17 04:40 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Scott Fraser]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
It's a cool instrument, though hardly revolutionary - it's been done before for YEARS... it's a new wrinkle on an old idea.
I wouldn't mind playing in a band with a good Kelstone player, though I don't care for the tones he's using... but you can adjust those things with settings on the guitar and amps.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose