Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2614421 - 07/26/14 04:43 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
I just got home from a David Lindley free concert in the park in Pasadena, & all I can say is WOW! That some kind of steel. Dude seriously rocks the Weissenborn.

Oh, man, I love David Lindley! He gets AMAZING TONE no matter what he's playing and what he's playing it on.

rawk love cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

GP Island
#2614433 - 07/26/14 06:19 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I haven't seen him in a longtime. He used to play some old ratty looking stuff. Stuff that looked like old Teisco del rays and Apollos etc...

I am like how does he play that? The answer was very well. Lol

Gear is overrated.

Edited by CEB (07/26/14 06:34 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2614606 - 07/27/14 07:41 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: CEB]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, Lindley's the king of the under-$100 pawnshop specials. pulls the most beautiful music out of some of the crappiest instruments.

moving on...I like the benders at the bridge on the 6-string neck on this one:

grin

#2614625 - 07/27/14 09:20 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
Yeah, Lindley's the king of the under-$100 pawnshop specials. pulls the most beautiful music out of some of the crappiest instruments.

Him & Marc Ribot, although the last few times I've seen Ribot he was rocking a seriously beautiful Gretsch Country Gentleman, so maybe he's gotten over his Teisco obsession.

Lindley didn't play a 6 string at all on his solo gig the other night. Just several Weissenborn-looking lap steels, an oud, & a bouzouki.

#2614655 - 07/27/14 12:52 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Scott Fraser]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I didn't like those Peavey demos and remember now that I did find them earlier, but no others, so figured it might have just been the guy's preferred style.

Sort of like how every demo from Wildwood Guitars has me running for the hills. I think that guy must have a lot of hearing loss, which interestingly tends to occur at random frequency intervals vs. being the expected rolloff of highs and lows as we age. Either that or he really likes everything to sound like an ice pick.

#2616486 - 08/03/14 10:51 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The local GC in Concord CA has a somewhat expensive used Fender Champ from '57 or thereabouts, and a used Chandler mahogany model for roughly half that amount (closer to the price of a used Gretsch Electromatic Lap Steel).

I hadn't brought proper playing implements with me so couldn't try them out, even unplugged. I thought my finger would do, but I couldn't hear anything (maybe too much white noise, even in the acoustic room).

The Fender looked like a more professional model overall, and seemed to be the "original" with the Telecaster bridge pickup. I recall this being a popular model for a long time. Not in the greatest shape, nor the worst shape either.

I've also seen some rather beat-up Rickenbacker models now and then. They don't look that great to me, build-wise or in terms of condition. I've never tried them as I've never had anything with me that would allow me to play one. I just don't think about that in advance as I'm usually going in to try parlor guitars and 12-string acoustics.

#2616493 - 08/03/14 11:22 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Get a room Mark LOL! Head on back to that GC armed with picks, slides, etc. Take that Fender Lap and Fender Champ into one of their rooms where you can crank it up a little and try them out...you owe it to yourself...have some fun! twothumbs

#2629747 - 09/25/14 09:12 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I finally brought my steeler to GC today to try the Chandler, the 50's Fender Champ, and the 60's Fender Champ, and hated them all! Too harsh, bright, ice-picky. They didn't even sound good acoustically.

Of the three, the Chandler had the most tonal range with its knob, so probably had the best pickup of the three.

I played them through a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp so I could compare my Gretsch Electromatic on the same amp once I got home. Night and day!

The Gretsch is AMAZING, and such a steel (BTW it is currently yet again on blow-out at Hello Music, and in the nicer tobacco burst finish vs. the sparkle black/silver finish I had to be satisfied with).

I decided to use Open D tuning for now (D-A-D-F#-A-D) as it's better for rock and blues and I don't expect to use the lap steel for many other styles (there are a gazillion tunings). Aerosmith uses Open E and David Lindley uses a variant of that tuning. It's just Open D a whole step up. I like having the reach down to D, but may find that the taughtness of Open E is more appealing (though it's less relevant on a lap steel).

Although different gauges are recommended for different tunings, it isn't such a big deal overall as the nature of the instrument is such that you have a lot of leeway with each string. The tuning pegs move the pitch quite a bit with little effort.

What I like about the Gretsch is that it's very ergonomic and balanced, the markings are easy to read and to line up with the steeler, it sounds great acoustically (and quite loud unplugged!), and the pickup is magnificent as it's very round and creamy but can also cut and bite if you like. The tone knob gives a very wide range overall.

I had to special order the bag and it took 9 months but was worth it as it's a perfect fit and thickly padded with two pockets for steelers and strings. There is no hardshell case for this model but the bag really is good enough, for once.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (09/25/14 09:14 PM)
Edit Reason: auto-correct messed up after I'd already committed edits

#2629819 - 09/26/14 07:09 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
WOW! Am I ever late to THIS party!

My buddy's dad used to play a lap in a hillbilly band in the early '50's. I gave his old one a try and got NOWHERE with it!

Looks like a lot of fun, and I admire good lap playing, but like the pedal steel stuff a bit better....I will NOT embarass myself or the pedal steel community with a paltry effort. As long as you can find BUD ISAACS on record somewhere, I figure, why bother?
Whitefang

#2629826 - 09/26/14 07:28 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks for the update Mark! Just about anything will sound good through a Fender Deluxe Reverb LOL! I'll keep that Gretsch Electromatic in mind if I should decide to buy a lap steel. Glad you got down to the GC and tried a few on for size and made the comparison... cool

#2630398 - 09/29/14 03:49 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2630422 - 09/29/14 06:33 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Very cool 8string Gator slide! Bet you can get some real swamp ash sounds out of that baby...or at least it'll put you in the right mood...how much are they and where would you find one? cool

ps. http://fishguitar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=75 <--- never mind, I found it!!!

Edited by Larryz (09/29/14 06:35 PM)
Edit Reason: ps. post link

#2631548 - 10/05/14 12:12 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So who makes that gorgeous gator 8-string lap? That is truly a work of art!

#2631591 - 10/05/14 10:15 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
So who makes that gorgeous gator 8-string lap? That is truly a work of art!

If you click on the link I posted above your question, you find all of the answers. It's handmade and the site tells the history and what is being considered in the future, etc... thu

#2631608 - 10/05/14 11:45 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, I didn't click it because it looked like it was your signature (on most forums, I see people posting their personal webpages as the signature for each post).

Edit: Nevermind; I thought you meant the link below the photo.

The other link didn't show up earlier as I was on limited screen real estate.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (10/05/14 11:47 AM)

#2631627 - 10/05/14 01:28 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Sorry, I don't use a signature line...hope the link was interesting though, if you do click on it...

#2631828 - 10/06/14 12:30 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Great thread. I definitely enjoy lap steel (and slide guitar in general) a lot though I never tried my hand at it.
I do remember once in El Paso, 1985 or so, that I saw a lap steel for sale for $100. I DID have the money for it, but it would have meant not paying rent or eating....
Of course, I'd snap it up right away now!

#2645050 - 12/03/14 11:06 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Eric Iverson]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

loved this video:

#2645099 - 12/04/14 07:22 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Interesting video I learned many things from watching it. Many of the things I have discovered over the last month or so match up with the video techniques and concepts. I picked up on a new one (i.e. why he reaches over the strings with the right hand) and will be experimenting with it later. I finally broke down and bought a Gretsch dobro slide square neck, and I'm having lots of fun with it... cool

#2649406 - 12/23/14 02:10 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I saw an acoustic lap steel, of all things, at the local GC the other day. I was in a rush so didn't have a chance to try it out.

I didn't see a pickup anywhere. It's a hollow body, but NOT a square neck resonator guitar. It was used, but I forget the brand.

It bears some mild resemblance to the left side of the photo in the initial post, but with no electronics in site. Very curious.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (12/23/14 02:11 PM)

#2650152 - 12/27/14 04:52 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The specific acoustic lap steel market at GC Concord is a used Gold Tone Weissenborn LM for $450 (I was writing on air so can't read my own writing; maybe Weissenbaum?).

It's very bright and tinny, thin sounding. No pickup at the jack. I suppose one would use a Dean Markley putty style pickup on the body, if playing live, or mic it up.

I haven't had time to look it up yet to see when it was made and how it was used. Normally I would think such an instrument must have predated the electric models, but maybe not. As I said, it looks more like certain electric lap steels, except for being hollow body. Nothing like a resonator guitar. Definitely played on the lap as well.

#2650161 - 12/27/14 06:15 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Scott Fraser]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Duh; it's an Hawai'ian style lap steel guitar. I didn't notice because it's so shallow compared to ones I've seen at a local store that specializes in Hawai'ian guitars (and makes their own). There are three models in the line in all:

http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/101/W-SM-Weissenborn%AE-SM

http://www.goldtone.com/products/w/c/44/Weissenborns%AE

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Tone-SM-Weissenborn-Hawaiian/dp/B002RARBU8

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Gold-Tone...amp;Click=21214

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZIaizmZUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bia_q1XFq74

Quite a range there, as you can see. The $1500 high-end model is solid koa and comes with an across-the-bridge pickup. It looks VERY nice. I haven't listened to the video links yet as I am busy with other music, but will listen shortly.

The mahogany laminate model at GC is the low-end model. No wonder I didn't take to it, but I also didn't have a steeler with me so came up with a makeshift steeler with other materials in the store, so may not have been hearing its true timbre.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (12/27/14 11:20 PM)

#2650168 - 12/27/14 06:41 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Not familiar with the Hawaiians, but they sure look cool. My Gretsch square neck with pickup cost about $500 American and I'm very happy with it...I didn't go high end as I'm just a babe in the woods. Someday I may upgrade...I'm digging it! The Lap Dawg bar that Caeven recommended works very well on mine. I'm not sure if Hawaiian's use the same tone bars, but I would give one a try if I were you! cool

#2650216 - 12/27/14 11:21 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like we have the same lap steel models from Gretsch. I love mine, and feel the Lap Dawg toner bar is the one that works the best on it. I may bring that with me to GC next time if I can remember, but I'd probably only be interested in the higher-end Hawai'ian acoustic lap steels (with an across-the-bridge pickup).

#2650290 - 12/28/14 09:57 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Looking forward to your review Mark if you pull the trigger on one of those Hawaiians... cool

#2709684 - 07/30/15 02:31 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Buddy Emmons, the legendary king of the pedal steel , has passed.

The guy was one of the true greats, and his legacy stands alongside any great Ameican musician you care to name. He will be missed...and live forever at the same time.

#2709729 - 07/30/15 06:57 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

RIP Buddy Emmons...another great has crossed over and his spirit lives on in the soul of country music...

#2709892 - 07/31/15 08:41 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Just recently I saw(for the umpteempth time) "The Last Picture Show" on MOVIES. I always loved this movie not only for the cinematic work of art it is, but for the soundtrack featuring all those early HANK WILLIAMS tunes and that spectacular pedal steel playing by either DON HELMS or JIM PORTER. I had for a while thought Buddy Emmons was the guy playing on tunes like "Why Don't You Love Me" and "Just In Time To Be Too Late", but I don't think so...
Whitefang

#2710141 - 08/01/15 10:17 AM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Back about 78 or 79, a guy I knew bought a Gibson lap steel, one of the old BR-something models. I picked it up and played it, and was immediately hooked! I frankly hadn't had so much fun playing an instrument since I first started playing guitar. I've owned two lap steels since then, a Rickenbacker student model (don't know the model, but it had a vaguely rhomboid shaped wooden body, and one of the narrower horseshoe magnet pickups{I'm told they were narrower during WWII, to economize on how much metal they used}) which I wish I still had, and a Rogue that has been retrofitted with a DiMarzio single coil sized 'bucker, and a set of legs. It's not a bad player, but I had to put a piece of brass over the wooden nut, because the strings cut into it and it dampened them. I've thought about replacing it, but haven't found anything that would work. I really need to drag that thing out and play it more. After reading the Gismotron thread, I'm kinda wondering what it would sound like with an EBow...

#2710164 - 08/01/15 12:09 PM Re: lap steel, pedal steel, et al [Re: picker]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: picker
I really need to drag that thing out and play it more. After reading the Gismotron thread, I'm kinda wondering what it would sound like with an EBow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest&v=7j1HIad78Y0&app=desktop <----check this Vo Wond out Picker...pretty cool! I have to drag mine out of the closet too LOL! cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose