Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2607514 - 06/30/14 04:00 PM Live implementation using synth plug-ins, zones, and presets
keloid former Offline

Hello.

I'm running into a lot of barriers with how we want (need) to move forward with our live setup - any help is greatly appreciated.

Scenario: We've got tracks recorded in PT, using RTAS versions of the NI Komplete 8 bundle; Specifically Massive, FM8, and Absynth. Now that we're ready to play live, we're hoping to recreate these sounds with a live keyboard player (rather than backing tracks)

Problem 1 - How to recreate the synth sounds from rtas plugin presets (.tfx) to vst presets - I've read around and, other than manually recreating presets - by hand - it doesn't look like this is possible.

Problem 2 - How to split the keyboard (zones) using plugins in Live (I know this is possible using instrument racks, but then we're back to Problem 1)

Ideally, I load the synths into Live (or any host), set the key range that triggers that sound, set the channels (for using more than 1 keyboard), and Bob's ur Uncle!

It looks like a Receptor module might do the trick, but that seems WAY overkill (and somewhat archaic in this age of software).

I'm a guitarist, so I'm a little out of my depth here, but we can't be the first group that's recorded with RTAS plugins in PT, then wanted to reproduce the sounds live with a real keyboard player!?!?!?

What am I missing?

#2607557 - 06/30/14 06:12 PM Re: Live implementation using synth plug-ins, zones, and presets [Re: keloid former]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
You'll likely have more luck posting this over on the keyboard forum. I don't see what the problem is. Bring a laptop with the plugins on the host of your choice and a MIDI controller. I don't do this, so I can't help you much - but there are a bunch of guys over on the keyboard corner who do this.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer