Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, here is my band that I sort of co-lead. It's very bizarre. Stuff is happening and it's evolving. These recordings are from December. We went into the studio for a day and recorded a couple tunes, mostly re-arrangements of pop songs, and one free jam. Here is what it sounds like:

High Tides Bandcamp

Here's video from the session. The other tunes will come soon.

[video:youtube]

A quick and dirty clip from my solo gig earlier tonight, just because I got the urge and propped up the phone on the edge of the piano. There are a couple spots where I could have kept the time better, but overall I was happy with it. The very end cuts off because my phone ran out of memory, so just imagine the lick resolving like you'd think it would.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju6AvSlURgI

Thanks! Brett, yeah, that style is kinda my "thing." I mean, I play pretty much anything people call me to play, but when left to my own devices, that's what's likely to come out.

The part that got cut off at the end is playing the Big Chief lick with the right hand while playing the Mess Around lick with the left hand. The arrangement was pretty much built off that idea.

Thanks! Brett, yeah, that style is kinda my "thing." I mean, I play pretty much anything people call me to play, but when left to my own devices, that's what's likely to come out.

The part that got cut off at the end is playing the Big Chief lick with the right hand while playing the Mess Around lick with the left hand. The arrangement was pretty much built off that idea.

Wonderful , that ragtime boogie woogie style seems to be as rare as hens teeth these days.

I bet you get lot's of offers of help and a ride home at the end of the gig from fans :) .

Brett

Great stuff! Most especially when you seamlessly morphed from Mess Around to Big Chief, which you nailed. You got that New Orleans vibe down. I lived there for 8 years during the 80's and couldn't quite get the second line syncopation thing down on either piano or drums.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Hey guys, here is my band that I sort of co-lead. It's very bizarre. Stuff is happening and it's evolving. These recordings are from December. We went into the studio for a day and recorded a couple tunes, mostly re-arrangements of pop songs, and one free jam. Here is what it sounds like:

High Tides Bandcamp

Here's video from the session. The other tunes will come soon.

I feel dumb posting after FKS... But here are the rest of the tunes. All covers other than the one collective improvisation.

I also posted this under "Shameless Plugs" but what the heck:

It was 30 years ago that I created the live solo multimedia concert "Through The Black Hole - Esh in Concert" which was performed in planetariums. The album from that show is long out of print so I have posted it on Soundcloud.

It is a project I am still very proud of both musically and technically, especially when you consider it was recorded in 1984 on a four-track recorder and sequenced with a Commodore 64 computer and a SCI SixTrak synth. Also featured was an Oberheim DX drum machine, a Korg Polysix, a Fender Rhodes and a Minimoog.

I would invite you to relax, dim the lights, put on the headphones and enjoy "Through The Black Hole":

artworks-000082911100-egklyq-t200x200.jpg

I heard some parts and went over the whole soundcloud "file"(would you say that sounds the same as the master ?). It feels a bit at home keyboards and drum-wise. I think the way those sounds were invented should return, but then for new and more appropriate sounds for this time, but I do like the sound and production more than most modern things I've heard. The music probably works with a projection about stars and super nova's, but I prefer deeper synths and effects for that particular purpose.

T.

Long story short, I ordered the Sound Forge Pro 11 upgrade but Sony shipped me Vegas Pro 13 instead...due to excellent customer service they told me to keep Vegas and they re-shipped Sound Forge. Next I noticed an ad for videoblocks.com at Facebook and signed up. I took a piece I had never finished and put some stock footage to it for fun, enjoy!

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

https://soundcloud.com/genetics-gr/genetics-livelunch-on-krfc-889-7114

We did a live radio set/interview today, giver her a listen! You can see how eccentric bands end up when they've been living together for two years, we all sound like weirdos.

Nice playing!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

thanks guys! the host was not baked from what I could tell, just not necessarily the best person to have interviewing a prog/fusion band. She likes US, but I don't think she really gets the music we make... I mean, when you're interviewing a band and talking about how great their music is to have in the background and to have a conversation over... thats kinda not what you wanna hear, yaknow? She'd met us once and liked us, and I think we all just sorta threw her off her game right off the bat with the interview, she didn't really get the chance to get a feel for what we were like much before we were on air. Honestly, the whole interview is just hilarious for me to listen to.

Alright, I'll throw one out here...

This is a piece I actually first wrote way back in 1980 for our new prog rock band we were trying to put together. We had our covers (King Crimson, UK, Jean-Luc Ponty, Bruford, Peter Gabriel, Gentle Giant...) but were mostly trying to develop our own material. So, with my newly acquired CS-80 I wanted something to serve as a bit of a showcase piece for the entire band (4-piece: violin, keys, bass, drums). I came up with this instrumental song "Boreas" which we worked on very hard, but got to perform it live only once or twice (as our "manager" felt we needed more danceable material in order to get us gigs. He was probably right...).

Though we did manage to get a half-baked recording of it as some student's recording class project, it was done in haste and we never did get what I call a satisfactory demo tape of this.

So fast-forward to last summer when I finally upgraded my home computer to one capable of running the current crop of DAW software. I went with Logic X, and was nearly overwhelmed with the learning curve. I needed a long-term project to force myself to tackle all the features LPX has to offer, so I picked this one just to see if I could pull it off. Getting the original band members back again was not feasible, so I attempted to re-create all the virtual parts myself in Logic.

Plus it gave me something fun to do with the CS-80 again! :)

The violin parts were done here on a Kurzweil PC361, as well as the organ solo (KB3 thru a Ventilator), and I even added a little Mellotron which I did not have at the original time. All else are from the Logic instruments library. Since our violin player isn't with us anymore (R.I.P.), I struggled with what to do with his wonderful Ponty-esque violin solo. I couldn't adequately recreate it, so finally ended up filling in the space with a tweaky little synth solo instead. So, this is very close to how I imagined it should have been done given the time to develop it all all the way (and please don't trip over all the time sig changes!).

just got a soundboard of a recent show we played and I gotta say it came out pretty well aside from one or two horrible missed changes... but that'll happen. embarrassingly one happened during a song that I wrote and all my fault, but I was really sick (and I'm holding to that as my excuse :P)... anyways, check it out, I'm kinda proud of this set. particularly the first song actually, which is one written by our drummer and the first song I've ever played in 7/4.

https://archive.org/details/genetics2014-07-02.sbd

Very cool, ticks a lot of my proggy boxes! The CS-80 sounds amazing and the synth solos are great. Where did the lead sounds come from?

Thanks... all the melodic lines are pretty much either Kurzweil strings and/or CS80. I couldn't find a singular 'solo' violin sound that fit just right, so I used several of the sectional string sounds. If you're specifically referring to that 32-bar synth lead prior to the organ solo, that is one of the monophonic FM synth lead presets in Logic that seemed to have just the right amount of portamento, and in the last 8 bars the line was doubled (aka "mult-ed") with the CS-80 using a patch that reminds me of one of Eddie Jobson's sounds.

My latest soundtrack CD just released on the Melodic Revolution Records label, Conversations with George Edgar Selby.

Soundcloud sampler

Melodic Revolution Records page

The album is in two parts, the first a concerto and the second music from the soundtrack to the World War I drama Beside the Manor Selby starring cult actors Conrad Brooks and George Stover. It's a refreshing change from doing the prog rock with Aethellis!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

After two years of writing and recording in the midst of a bunch of low points in my life during the 2013 year, my new album, "Running For You" is finally complete!

CLONKETY CLONK

Enjoy, and blessings!

JH

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud