Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

The HX3 tweakable Leslie parameters are:

Rotary Group

HornSlowTm <16> - Leslie simulation horn revolution timer when set to SLOW

RotorSlowTm <14> - Leslie simulation rotor revolution timer when set to SLOW

HornFastTm <130> - Leslie simulation horn revolution timer when set to FAST

RotorFastTm <120> - Leslie simulation rotor revolution timer when set to FAST

HornRampUp <4> - Leslie simulation horn accelleration from SLOW to FAST. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

RotorRampUp <20> - Leslie simulation rotor accelleration from SLOW to FAST. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

HornRampDown <3> - Leslie simulation horn brake time from FAST to SLOW. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

RotorRampDown <30> - Leslie simulation rotor brake time from FAST to SLOW. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Rotary Throb <200> - Leslie simulation "throb" modulation factor. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Rotary Spread <200> - Leslie simulation stereo spread (width). Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Rotary Balnce <200> - Leslie simulation volume balance horn/rotor. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

I will compare the new stereo Lesliesim with my Vent as soon as I'll get my expander updated (aprox. in 2 weeks).

All I can say is that the HX3-engine sounds absolutely fantastic....

BTW: MVintage means the Mvintage VST Leslie sim not the old Mono version...

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

The HX3 tweakable Leslie parameters are:

Rotary Group

HornSlowTm <16> - Leslie simulation horn revolution timer when set to SLOW

RotorSlowTm <14> - Leslie simulation rotor revolution timer when set to SLOW

HornFastTm <130> - Leslie simulation horn revolution timer when set to FAST

RotorFastTm <120> - Leslie simulation rotor revolution timer when set to FAST

HornRampUp <4> - Leslie simulation horn accelleration from SLOW to FAST. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

RotorRampUp <20> - Leslie simulation rotor accelleration from SLOW to FAST. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

HornRampDown <3> - Leslie simulation horn brake time from FAST to SLOW. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

RotorRampDown <30> - Leslie simulation rotor brake time from FAST to SLOW. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Rotary Throb <200> - Leslie simulation "throb" modulation factor. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Rotary Spread <200> - Leslie simulation stereo spread (width). Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Rotary Balnce <200> - Leslie simulation volume balance horn/rotor. Firmware 3.5 and up only.

Thx for the info !

What about the overdrive ?

Do we have separate organ pre-amp and Leslie power-amp overdrive controls ?

BTW: MVintage means the Mvintage VST Leslie sim not the old Mono version...

Arrghh,- I wasn´t aware such thing exists, now googled and found

this Melda Production MVintage Rotary VST

Is that what we heard in the 1st demo w/ HX3 ?

A.C.

Yep, that's it.

and for the tweakable HX3 parameters (via display panel)

guckst Du hier:

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_MenuPanel

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

the reason I asked was that I've been waiting for a response from elvio for about a week and a half now , been trying to get some info on the keyb live . anyway I can tell you the expander turned out to be a good purchase . my apologies to

everyone for this thread within a thread , my fault .

Yep, that's it.

Interesting !

KvR says it´s just released today ... :crazy:

and for the tweakable HX3 parameters (via display panel)

guckst Du hier:

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_MenuPanel

;-)

:thu:

I appreciate:

"LeslieVolume <70> - adjusts Leslie Amp simulation volume from 0 to full (overdriven tube amp)"

and ...

"TrebleEqu <30> - mimics TONE pot on AO28 amp; well, a little bit more on high values.

BassEqu <90> - bass equalizer, adjusts bass response of different AO28 models.

AO28 tube k2 <12> - controls simulated AO28 preamp tube aging (higher triode distortion k2). Firmware 3.5 and up only."

thx,- and looking forward you demos ...

A.C.

the reason I asked was that I've been waiting for a response from elvio for about a week and a half now , been trying to get some info on the keyb live . anyway I can tell you the expander turned out to be a good purchase . my apologies to

..same frustrating experience here !

Contacted Elvio about 3 months ago to get infos about the keyB Master. The last few weeks I tried it again cause I wanted to buy the Master to control my HX3-Expander. No responses !

So, I decided to get a GSi DMC-122 or one step further a MAG custom organ....

We'll see...

..same frustrating experience here !

Contacted Elvio about 3 months ago to get infos about the keyB Master. The last few weeks I tried it again cause I wanted to buy the Master to control my HX3-Expander. No responses !

So, I decided to get a GSi DMC-122 or one step further a MAG custom organ....

We'll see...

Hey Hammond, you guys browsing here ? HX-3 module w/drawbars is still vaporware, the VK-8M is discontinued, and the KeyB Expander designer is AWOL (and with no, current North American distribution). Where's the XM-3, guys ? There is a market; small, but it's there. After all, Roland just did a keyboard module. There's a bunch of us who don't need an SK-1; we like our current keyboards. But we want that Hammond sound in our rigs..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

That would be useful but it better be priced right. That last XM2 cost almost as much as the XK1 organ did.

Bob

Odd how that was.. Plus, the XM-2 had to be combined with the XMC-2. So that either meant a separate rack, or figuring out a way to velcro both the module, and drawbar controller to the top of a keyboard - kind of kludgy, IMO, and defeats the whole idea of a simple, compact drawbar module w/built-in rotary sim.. BTW, probably old news, but I just noticed the XM-2/XMC-2 is also discontinued.

Too bad Dave Amels isn't still designing this stuff. Bet he'd figure out a way to get the whole deal into a package not much bigger than a V5. His Voce V3, produced almost twenty years ago, has an advanced function and MIDI control matrix that puts a lot of current gear to shame.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 1 month later...

here some videos of mine with the HX3 expander.

there is also the Leslie pedal, first videos in Europe with it :D

enjoy :snax:

OVERDRIVE FROM THE ORGAN DRIVE:

[video:youtube]

OVERDRIVE FROM INTERNAL HX3 "VOLUME":

That would be useful but it better be priced right. That last XM2 cost almost as much as the XK1 organ did.

Bob

Odd how that was.. Plus, the XM-2 had to be combined with the XMC-2. So that either meant a separate rack, or figuring out a way to velcro both the module, and drawbar controller to the top of a keyboard - kind of kludgy, IMO, and defeats the whole idea of a simple, compact drawbar module w/built-in rotary sim.. BTW, probably old news, but I just noticed the XM-2/XMC-2 is also discontinued.

Too bad Dave Amels isn't still designing this stuff. Bet he'd figure out a way to get the whole deal into a package not much bigger than a V5. His Voce V3, produced almost twenty years ago, has an advanced function and MIDI control matrix that puts a lot of current gear to shame.

THIS ^^

I've been awaiting an XK1c in a drawbar module for a year now. Not a 2 piece like the XM2/XMc2 but one module like the Voce V5. I don't need another keyboard, just a self contained sound module with drawbars. I'm actually contemplating an XM2/XMc2 because nothing else newer is in the marketplace.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The XM-2 used the same main board as the XK-1 but the area containing the EV circuitry was left empty. So if there was going to be a single unit module it would have been the width and depth of the XM-2 and at least that tall. I doubt there would have been an XM-2 if it required manufacturing a whole new main board. There just isn't (or at least hasn't been) enough demand for a module to justify a complete re-design and manufacture of the electronics (IMO).

Hi Marco,

how would you rate the HX3 Stereolesliesim against the Vent and the Lesliepedal?

Isn't the Lesliepedal the same as the internal SK sim, is it ?

cheers

Markus

here some videos of mine with the HX3 expander.

there is also the Leslie pedal, first videos in Europe with it :D

enjoy :snax:

OVERDRIVE FROM THE ORGAN DRIVE:

OVERDRIVE FROM INTERNAL HX3 "VOLUME":

Hi Marco,

how would you rate the HX3 Stereolesliesim against the Vent and the Lesliepedal?

cheers

Markus

ciao Markus!

unfortunately I haven't updated the stereo leslie yet.

(to be honest, I have no idea about how to upgrade the module.... I asked via email but I still got no answer :laugh: )

I can't wait for this upgrade, becouse the HX3 leslie sim (now in mono) sounds really good with it's internal drive (but with this mono mode it is no comparable with all the other sims).

and no, the leslie pedal is definitely not the same effect of internal SK.

it sounds different and it has a different overdrive (I prefer the overdrive of SK).

at the moment the BURN is still my favorite....

:wave:

... becouse the HX3 leslie sim (now in mono) sounds really good with it's internal drive (but with this mono mode it is no comparable with all the other sims).

After the FPGA overhaul, which is already done, the HX3 leslie sim is stereo again because of ressources usage optimization.

tales from the lab

Delivery of next production run HX3 circuit boards is delayed to week 26 /27 (probably end of june) by reasons you can read HERE .

For all forumites,- in the WIKI you find which pages/documents are available in english.

In the forum, normaly in german, the 1st post of THIS page is listing all the new/updated/upgraded features of the HX3 engine in english !

Marco, I see you already asked for the available update-download links so you have ´em already.

Keep us posted how your upgraded HX3 expander module´s stereo leslie and internal overdrive sounds please.

OTOH, all buying a HX3-XB2 kit or expander module will get it w/ latest firmware anyway.

A.C.

Hi Marco,

I did the update yesterday! It's easy now with the new

upload-software, it worked very well...

The new Stereoleslie is very good. As is the overdrive.

Unfortunately I have my Ventilator not at home at the moment for comparison.

I will do this next week....

ciao

Markus

Hi Marco,

cheers

Markus

ciao Markus!

unfortunately I haven't updated the stereo leslie yet.

(to be honest, I have no idea about how to upgrade the module.... I asked via email but I still got no answer :laugh: )

I can't wait for this upgrade, becouse the HX3 leslie sim (now in mono) sounds really good with it's internal drive (but with this mono mode it is no comparable with all the other sims).

and no, the leslie pedal is definitely not the same effect of internal SK.

it sounds different and it has a different overdrive (I prefer the overdrive of SK).

at the moment the BURN is still my favorite....

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear all!

Finally the HX3 expander is back home with updated board.

I just made a couple of test, so be patient, as soon as Ill have some time Ill make a detailed audio/video test.

NEW Leslie simulation!!!!!

:boing:

Leslie in stereo is great and, thanks to this improvement, finally the overall sound is at very top level among the last generation clonewheels.

Really adjustable and easy to edit with the easy-to-use front panel (I still do not use the pc editor, for the moment).

Whit this new feature (stereo leslie) the overdrive effect sounds further better and natural.

Finally, my ears can feel the correct behavior of a saturated tube-amped Leslie.

OK, it is NOT like having a saturated 147 or 122 Leslie screaming in front of you, this is clear to all of us :roll:

But the simulation (leslie + AMP/drive) is able enough to deceive and persuade my ears.

Unfortunately, although the above mentioned features make the HX3 sounding great, there are a couple of "bugs" to be fixed, but the sound is really terrific.

Here a quick example of the HUGE sound quality of this little beast.

Expander stereo out direct to a Roland SA-1000 stereo amp.

Audio taken with a ZOOM H2n placed in front of the amp.

AMP saturation....

Some (three or four notes only) keys on the upper two octaves produce (with the AMP/DRIVE knob turned at levels just starting from 1/4) a digital clipping noise (you can hear a couple of that in my mp3).

I determined that it is NOT a problem with my amp, or with my pc soundboard, or with my headphones, but it is a sort of digital clipping IF something digital is involved - generated by the HX3 itself.

Maybe the problem should depend on the fact that HX3 has NO internal volume knob?

Maybe it should be sufficient to attenuate the internal audio signal with a new system upgrade?

Hopefully yes.

Stay tuned.

Ciao

Marco

Waiting for them to come out with a board.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Waiting for them to come out with a board.

As as I know they won't do a keyboard version.

They partnered with MAG Custom Organs. They build

one or two manual boards....

Here a quick example of the HUGE sound quality of this little beast.

Expander stereo out direct to a Roland SA-1000 stereo amp.

Audio taken with a ZOOM H2n placed in front of the amp.

AMP saturation....

Yes !

Ouch!!! That sounds great... I may have to get one... Correction, I HAVE to get one!

Unfortunately, although the above mentioned features make the HX3 sounding great, there are a couple of "bugs" to be fixed, but the sound is really terrific.

Some (three or four notes only) keys on the upper two octaves produce (with the AMP/DRIVE knob turned at levels just starting from 1/4) a digital clipping noise (you can hear a couple of that in my mp3).

I determined that it is NOT a problem with my amp, or with my pc soundboard, or with my headphones, but it is a sort of digital clipping IF something digital is involved - generated by the HX3 itself.

Maybe the problem should depend on the fact that HX3 has NO internal volume knob?

Maybe it should be sufficient to attenuate the internal audio signal with a new system upgrade?

Hopefully yes.

Stay tuned.

Ciao

Marco

Did you discuss these issues with the developer?

Sounds really good in any way!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HX3-HOAX-MIDI-Expander-Module-Hammond-B3-organ-and-Leslie-speaker-Emulator-/321496731633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adab2cff1

I'm not the seller or affiliated in any way just an interested clonewheeler. If they matched this up with a drawbar controller like ocean beach and sold it with all cables for $1000.00 I'd be on it. That is if B3er said it was OK.

FunMachine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HX3-HOAX-MIDI-Expander-Module-Hammond-B3-organ-and-Leslie-speaker-Emulator-/321496731633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adab2cff1

I'm not the seller or affiliated in any way just an interested clonewheeler. If they matched this up with a drawbar controller like ocean beach and sold it with all cables for $1000.00 I'd be on it. That is if B3er said it was OK.

Interesting he´s selling it for an MAG Organ P-2 upgrade using the same engine.

That means he was truly satisfied w/ the HX3 sound.

I doubt that is the HX3 mk3 hardware even it might be upgraded to mk3 via firmware update.

HX3 mk3 hardware is just available NOW and shipped to those who pre-ordered.

I think he has a mk2 hardware box upgraded to mk3 software.

I understood mk3 hardware is also an improved circuit board.

A.C.

Hopefully yes.

Stay tuned.

Ciao

Marco

yes, already sent a message (in the XH3 forum too).

it's really demoralizing that you have such a powerful machine and you cannot use it (the digital clipping is really invasive).

example here (at:15):

ciao!

Marco

it's really demoralizing that you have such a powerful machine and you cannot use it (the digital clipping is really invasive).

ciao!

Marco

OK, and I notice that nobody has responded in the HX3 forum...

Hmm...Can it be that it´s something wrong with your unit?

Just guessing here since nobody seems to have reported this problem other than you? Or nobody except you noticed it yet?!?

Btw, if you bypass its sim and hook the HX3 to a Leslie or other sim, do you still have that problem?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Hopefully yes.

Stay tuned.

Ciao

Marco

ciao!

Marco

What example?

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net