Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 184 of 184 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184
Topic Options
#2854991 - 05/12/17 09:28 AM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: drawback]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: drawback
dB, just for interest's sake IIRC you were very happy at one time with Line6 StageSource. Have you ever tried one of them combined with your SSv.3, as you had with your K8?

I did indeed. thu

Although I prefer the sound of the Line 6 by itself against the K8 by itself, I felt that the K8 was a little bit better in this application. The way the sound of that unit meshed with the v5 was a bit more coherent, and adding the K8's bass boost sealed the deal.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH TK Audio Electronic Musician

KC Island
#2855052 - 05/12/17 03:03 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Dave Bryce]
Alan Steinberger Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
...my hunch is Alan's EQ settings have a lot to do with his satisfaction level. Mine certainly did. I was able to dial in a better piano sound out of my SSv.3 from my NS2 than I could with my CP4.

When testing I kept all the SSv3 settings on both units at noon, and only brightened up the Rhodes sound a bit via the Nord front panel. Didn't touch the Royal Grand piano EQ.

Other than manufacturing variance or severe quality control issues, which seems unlikely, the only thing I can figure is that my needs (using this primarily as a stage monitor with large orchestras) generally top out at lower volume levels than those of you commenting on a big difference between original and Lite versions. Testing up to about 100 dB, I found effectively no difference between the two units, and my new one sounds the same as well.

(Side note: my friend Chris, who helped with my testing, is a very happy CP4 owner. But he was blown away by the Nord/SSv3 combo, and the Royal Grand sample in particular.)

#2855059 - 05/12/17 03:55 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Alan Steinberger]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Alan Steinberger
...my hunch is Alan's EQ settings have a lot to do with his satisfaction level. Mine certainly did. I was able to dial in a better piano sound out of my SSv.3 from my NS2 than I could with my CP4.

When testing I kept all the SSv3 settings on both units at noon, and only brightened up the Rhodes sound a bit via the Nord front panel. Didn't touch the Royal Grand piano EQ.

Other than manufacturing variance or severe quality control issues, which seems unlikely, the only thing I can figure is that my needs (using this primarily as a stage monitor with large orchestras) generally top out at lower volume levels than those of you commenting on a big difference between original and Lite versions. Testing up to about 100 dB, I found effectively no difference between the two units, and my new one sounds the same as well.

(Side note: my friend Chris, who helped with my testing, is a very happy CP4 owner. But he was blown away by the Nord/SSv3 combo, and the Royal Grand sample in particular.)

Thanks for this info, Alan smile

thu

#2855075 - 05/12/17 07:07 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Alan Steinberger]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Alan Steinberger

Hi Alan, hope all's good. Oh man don't tell me that ... cry

Say hi to Chris for me. I pass by their Pilates studio often on Foothill.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2855095 - 05/12/17 09:08 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Dave Ferris]
Alan Steinberger Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi Dave, and will do. That's actually where we did the double-blind shootout. There's a young Pilates trainer who was quite baffled when I asked her to position the two Spacestations while my back was turned (so that I wouldn't know which was the older/heavier one).

By the way I gave out your name just last week for what was likely a dreadful rehearsal band. Sorry about that. smile

#2855096 - 05/12/17 09:15 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Alan Steinberger]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
smile thu

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2855798 - 05/17/17 09:59 AM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Dave Ferris]
deetee Offline

Loc: York, UK
So, I decided to let my ears decide, pulled the trigger and the space station arrived today!

I have to admit, I'm on the fence at the moment. I'm A/Bing it against a Mackie SRM350 at the moment which isn't the fairest of tests but I do notice the lack of bass in the space station (and there's no way I'm adding sub). Maybe I just need to get used to that though as our band already has lot of bass going on without me. We've also got subs at FOH and I think my keys have probably been clouding the sound in the monitor mix previously.

In its favour I'd say it sounds nice and clear though! I've only been able to test it in a small room so I'm guessing need to get it to a rehearsal to put it to the test.

#2855818 - 05/17/17 11:01 AM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: deetee]
deetee Offline

Loc: York, UK
Getting some crackle on one of the Nord EP sounds when playing in the lower octaves. Sound normal? Already got a plug in th sub output

#2856091 - 05/19/17 05:24 AM Re: Head's-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: Al Quinn]
jbolazzi Offline

Loc: italy
Hi AlQuinn, it is not easy to record the SS3 output in order to demonstrate any Faital coax benefit versus the original coax. May be you would be interested to lesson to this recording extract taken from an iPhone of one of of a recent concert. I think that it gives a pretty good idea of how my SS3 with the Faital would enhance a digital piano sound in the context of a big band sonorisation in a poor concert hall acoustic environment . I hope it helps ......
https://soundcloud.com/jbolazzi/recordingss3bigband

#2856110 - 05/19/17 07:12 AM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: deetee]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Originally Posted By: deetee
Getting some crackle on one of the Nord EP sounds when playing in the lower octaves. Sound normal? Already got a plug in th sub output

Depends on what you mean by crackle. If it is more of a frequency-specific rattle/buzz...it may be the fuse holder, which tends to rattle at the resonant frequency of the cabinet. At the recommendation of another forum member I solved that issue with a small piece of duct tape.

#2856129 - 05/19/17 09:38 AM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: jbolazzi]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: jbolazzi
Hi AlQuinn, it is not easy to record the SS3 output in order to demonstrate any Faital coax benefit versus the original coax. May be you would be interested to lesson to this recording extract taken from an iPhone of one of of a recent concert. I think that it gives a pretty good idea of how my SS3 with the Faital would enhance a digital piano sound in the context of a big band sonorisation in a poor concert hall acoustic environment . I hope it helps ......
https://soundcloud.com/jbolazzi/recordingss3bigband

Thank you very much! I can hear the difference with the Faital speaker. Certainly higher fidelity than the SS front speaker. I enjoyed your music too!

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2856154 - 05/19/17 11:32 AM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: deetee]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: deetee

I have to admit, I'm on the fence at the moment...I've only been able to test it in a small room so I'm guessing need to get it to a rehearsal to put it to the test.

I had a similar initial reaction right after I unboxed mine. After this 100+ thread of praises, I was expecting a lot more than what I heard on first plug in.

It would be foolish for me to guess whether the SS is the right amp for you, but some suggestions to help you make your decision:

- if you're demo'ing at home, try to get it as far away from you as practically possible. Try A/B'ing it with your other options at a distance. Then try it at a distance and off-axis, to get and idea whether the "bloom / spread" is enough of a benefit for you.

- when you take it to rehearsal, let the band know you're trying new amplification and you want their unvarnished opinions. Press them to be brutally honest. Ask them about fidelity, clarity, tone...and LF response. You might find they like the reduction in your bottom end...or not, depending on what you typically play.

- If you (or one of your guitar player friends) has one, try using it sideways with the front speaker pointing at you (and the side speaker firing at the floor).

- if you have any KB playing friends, have them play your rig and listen from as far away as the back half of your audience might end up on a normal gig.

Anyway just some ideas. Let us know what you find and decide.

Tim

#2856216 - 05/19/17 05:56 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: timwat]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Tim offers sage advice, as always. It all depends on where you're coming from: amplification-wise and keyboard-wise. Without a lot of stereo content, you'll find it lacking. It also takes some time to figure out how to place it, and equalize it.

Not like other amps in the least.

That being said, it's now my go-to amp 4 out of 5 times for smaller gigs and rehearsals. And I have a ton of other choices.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2856432 - 05/20/17 08:45 PM Re: Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back [Re: cphollis]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Did my first duo gig with Spacestation and Soundcraft Signature 12 as the ONLY amplification for both of us...replacing two amps and a full PA system. It worked well in a small setting. Besides the much easier load in/out, the main positive was that we were basically hearing the mix that the audience heard. Feedback from the audience was good.

Page 184 of 184 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner