Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

No compatibility out of the box or by menu? Maybe that's something for a new OS wish list too....

I think it's unlikely that Roland will build in a feature to enable compatibility with non-Roland pedals. Nords have an option for selecting different kinds of pedals, but then Nord doesn't make their own.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm sure somewhere in these 73 pages is discussion of the realism of the expression pedal, but I'm not going to try to find it. The VR09 seems like possibly a good choice for me when I start gigging again, the only question on my mind has been whether the expression pedal will simulate an organ swell in its action and response.

I finally brought my EV5 into GC to try it out. Nope, doesn't work like a swell pedal. Not linear enough to even begin to allow that level of expression. Maybe it's good enough for some contexts, but if you really want the subtelties of a sweel pedal, the VR09 will not work.

That doesn't necessarily mean the VR09 won't work for me, but it will depend on the context.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Dang...I got busy and stopped watching this thread for a while...

Jonesing for a better swell experience with my VR09 than I was getting with the M-Audio, a lonely EV5 at a local music store refused to let me out the door unless it was in my hands...Well, it sure didn't help my volume control issues with the VR09, but the local music joint (being mostly a drum shop) sure was happy to be rid of that pedal.

Oh well, it works great with the Fantom X.

What pedal did you try? I am using the one by m-audio. It's .... kind of alright. I'd like to try that Yamaha one some time.

Also, did you try selecting a different curve in the UI?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

This is from memory...almost a year ago and I did no menu diving or reading of manuals at the time so may have missed a parameter, but I've tried a Behringer FCV100 (does nothing), a semi-rare Morley EV5-VC (weird that one as a Roland EV5 clone still had no response), Yamaha's F7 (again with the blank stare), M-Audio (like you said, ho-hum), before breaking down for the EV5 (no better than the M-Audio).

Toano88, let us know how that Ashby thingy works with the F7.

Hmmm...always wanted some kind of Moog hardware and that $40 volume pedal might round out my expression pedal collection a bit more.

WHA!? Ain't no way I'm paying that much for an EV-7...

I've always wondered what would happen if I tried to tweak the expression pedal from a spinet (like an L100 or a T500) into working with a digital organ.

There are two ways, one way (easy) would be to put the expression pedal between the organ and the speaker and use it as-is.

Another way would be to somehow tweak the LDR into the right range for the expression pedal jack...or maybe find a pedal from a spinet that used a pot. But that wouldn't necessarily be any better than the M-audio solution, except for the "throw" being reasonable.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Having spent a lot of time with my VR09 recently, I have to say that I absolutely love this board. Once you dial in the sounds to your liking, it sounds superb. Even the electric pianos, which I initially felt we're weak, I now have sorted and I find very usable, especially when played on a weighted action. It has its quirks, but I think it's a real gem.

Agitato, yes my understanding is that any sound with an N prefix is a Supernatural sound and has the behaviour modelling you mention.. Personally I don't like this.. try to play the intro to Strawberry Fields on the N-flute and notes cut in and out, it's awful.. I suppose if I really wanted to pretend I was a flute player the supernatural behaviour would be a good thing, but I'm a keyboard player and I want to play Strawberry fields!!!

;-)

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Having spent a lot of time with my VR09 recently, I have to say that I absolutely love this board. Once you dial in the sounds to your liking, it sounds superb. Even the electric pianos, which I initially felt we're weak, I now have sorted and I find very usable, especially when played on a weighted action. It has its quirks, but I think it's a real gem.

Toblerone,

The VR-09 is an awesome instrument and it's very tweakable.. I created and posted some demos of the variations you could get in sounds of the EP/Clavinet earlier in this thread.. (but I'm not sure if they're even available or not).. and you're right combine the VR-09 with a nice 88 note weighted action keyboard and the AP/EP's come alive, with a lot more subtlety and playability. The VR is about a year old now and it's still a great entry level Drawbar organ with all the bread n butter sounds that a keyboard player needs, and now it seems to be selling for around $800, it's a steal at that price!!

By the way, the VR works very well with a second keyboard.. I've used it with a Yamaha KX8 controller on the bottom and I can create all different kinds of registrations with acoustic or electric piano on the bottom KX8 and organ or whatever other sound I want on the upper VR-09 keyboard. By default the controller is the lower manual when you select an organ program. I could get through almost any gig with this combination.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I LOVE the "N" sounds in the VR09, but they are intended to be played as the solo instruments they are emulating. I think they are kind of SuperNatural-Lite as the VR09 may not have all of the nuances or the new Jupiters. Tooting my own horn (pun intended) here is the link to a ditty utilizing the N.Alto Sax:

This was played live on the VR: split keys - Pad lower, Sax Upper with the sustain pedal only on the lower. The drums are one of the VR's preset loops down tempo'd. I happened to play this while recording into the VR's Song feature to the thumb drive, so this tune is ready to play back at the touch of a few buttons...useful for checking levels of the PA at gigs.

While at SoundCloud, one should check out Craig's fantastic demos of the VR09 sounds that might be of want for a wider demographic. Hope you don't mind that I post a link Craig, but I think your demos are some of the best out there:

As for Mellotron flute, I had to utilize the iPad editor to overwrite a preset synth to get a nice poly flute that has the pitch warble around like an old Chamberlain with stretched out tapes and crusty tape heads. It is quite lovely and grotesque.

Thanks Brenner13!! listened to your sax demo.. sounds great!! I get the N-style behaviour.. it's great for certain applications.. I'm simply going to have to do what you did, and create a synth patch to handle the flute section for Strawberry Fields.. this is a feature that people forget.. there's hundreds of PCM waves in the VR's virtual analog synth.. you can make pretty much whatever sounds you need!

If anyone goes to my soundcloud page I have a bunch of different things that feature different sounds/synths etc.. so search through the other crap for the files that start with VR..

Craig MacDonald

I read somewhere that the VR09 engine is from the VK8. Is this true?

How does the VR09 compare to the VK8?

I went to the store to look at the VR09 (I know nothing about organs), and found a used VK8 next to it. My main reaction was that I liked the keyboard feel of the VK8. But it is an older board though the price of the two were pretty close (VK8 cheaper by $100).

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Jazzwee, the Roland Rep told me that the designers of the VR-09 preferred the VK7 sound because it was grittier and that's what the VR is based on (but this could be completely wrong).

The VK8 will have a couple of advantages over the VR-09, primarily the waterfall keys, the amp sims and the fact that the percussion doesn't go through the C/V (like it does on the VR-09) but if you're looking for a better sound, better leslie sim, lighter board, and all of the other sounds and features of the VR-09, there is no question that the VR-09 blows away the VK8... again unless you really value the waterfall keys.. that's the big advantage of the VK8. But in almost every other way the VR-09 blows it away.

Craig MacDonald

@ Jazzwee.

The VK8 is more of an organ, the VR-09 is more of a synth. It's better not to have the percussion going through the c/v if you can avoid it. As Craig says, the keys on the VK8 are better for organ. There are better Leslie sims around than the one in the VK8, but it's certainly adequate.

OTOH, the VR-09 is newer technology, but.......it WAS an organ you wanted, wasn't it? :)

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM, if a board has more sounds, then I can leave the other at home instead of a two tier. The problem is that if I'm uncomfortable with the feel of the keys, then i can't play anything.

The VR09 was high up in the store so perhaps I didn't really get a good try. I reacted quickly to the feel of the keys and kind of pulled back.

I'm planning on looking again today, If the VK8 has an acceptable EP sound it could also be a single board option. It is unlikely the piano would be useful.

I went to the store to look at the VR09 (I know nothing about organs), and found a used VK8 next to it. My main reaction was that I liked the keyboard feel of the VK8. But it is an older board though the price of the two were pretty close (VK8 cheaper by $100).

That's a great price on a VK8. Sweetwater shows it at $2199. Not that I think they will have many takers. But it is a better organ than a VR09, between the action, the amp simulations, the more authentic drawbars, the additional dedicated controls (for percussion, C/V, etc.). Also, the drawbars send standard MIDI CC, so it is a better controller for external organ sounds (i.e. VB3). Of course, it doesn't do all the cool non-organ stuff that the VR-09 does, and it weighs a lot more.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The best clone for playing EP and piano stuff is the VR-700.

But that said I would get the VK-8.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Jazzwee,

First, I have to disagree with SSM when he suggests that the VR-09 is more of a synth.. it's not, it's what I would classify as an "all-in-one" which I think is exactly what you are looking for. It's an "all-in-one" meaning that it has all the "bread and butter" sounds a keyboard player typically wants and needs, AND it has a drawbar organ AND a virtual analog synth, all packaged in a 12 pound easy to carry package!! Bread and butter sounds include electric piano, acoustic piano, clavinet, strings, brass, etc..

The VK8 is NOT an "all-in-one", and if you're trying to reduce your rig to one keyboard, an "all-in-one" (or a workstation) is what you're looking for, not the VK8. The VK8 nothing more than a drawbar organ with a couple of other shitty sounds and you will be very disappointed.

Regarding the VR-09 as an organ compared to the VK8, the VR-09 has a far superior leslie sim. In fact it has two different versions, and the quality of the leslie sim is a major factor in determining the quality of an organ sound.. which is why I would never say that the VK8 is the better organ. It's certainly not the better organ if you're one of those people who, like myself, values a good quality leslie sim and feels it's an important differentiator. If I had a VK8 I would absolutely have to spend an additional $400 on an external leslie sim (like the ventilator or the burn). That's not the case with the VR-09, who's leslie sim(s) are very good.

Regarding keyboard feel, I've said this a number of times in this and a number of threads... the keyboard feel is something that you will easily get used to. Every keyboard feel is different, my Hammond B3 was different from my acoustic piano, which was different then my minimoog, which was different than my Yamaha DX7, which was different from my Juno 60 which was different every other keyboard I've ever owned and played (dozens of different keyboards over my lifetime) and in every case the bottom line is that I got used to each and every keyboard I've ever used. Do I prefer certain boards for certain things..? Of course.. waterfall keys make organ techniques much easier, but with the high trigger point on the VR-09 you'll have no problem with fast runs or any other organ techniques.

Jazzwee.. if you value reducing your rig to one keyboard, the VK8 simply won't cut it for you, and the VR-09 is the only option. Look at the number of people who in this thread that are saying they love their VR-09, after spending time with it! You will easily get used to the keyboard, you'll tweak all the sounds to your liking and you'll find it's an awesome board! It's great value!

Craig MacDonald

Craig, when Jazzwee first started this conversation, (in a different thread) he was looking for an organ.

In fact, at one point, he was very close to an XK1c. That is why I suggested that the VK8 may be a better choice for him. I'm not saying that it's a better keyboard than the VR-09, but I do believe that it's a better organ. (Ducks).

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM, no need to duck.. ;-)

In this thread Jazzwee said he was looking to reduce his rig to one keyboard, and he wanted organ plus other sounds, that's what I picked up on, and that's what suggested to me that he was looking for an all-in-one and the VR-09 would be perfect.. The XK1c has no other sounds and the VK8 has a couple of other sounds that are pretty lame, if I recall correctly.

I prefer the sound of the VR organ over the VK8.. just my opinion.. there are advantages that the VK8 has that have been mentioned (waterfall keyboard, multiple amp sims, arguably better C/V, controller/drawbar/cc's) but one BIG advantage to the VR-09 and that is a much improved leslie sim. The leslie sim makes a huge difference to the sound.. and from my perspective I would take a VR-09 over a VK8 any day (that said, I would take a VK8+ventilator over a VR-09 organ any day too).

Whatever insight you have into Jazzwee's requirements will help us provide good advice and advice we have will hopefully be valuable to him when he makes his decision.

Craig MacDonald

I went back to the store to look at the VR09 and the VK8. The problem is that the VK8 has the shitty "other" sounds but the feel of the keys is comfortable for a piano player learning organ. The other VK8 problem was that I couldn't figure out the interface.

The VR09 had those tiny black keys that kind of gave me a little discomfort. But I went there WANTING to like the VR09.

Now notice I didn't really have a problem with either organ. For Jazz playing it doesn't seem like the range of sound options are as wide.

So I'm left undecided. More research.

The other VK8 problem was that I couldn't figure out the interface.

You're not alone.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep02/articles/rolandvk8.asp

I agree with CEB. If you want a clonewheel with decent additional sounds and a good action, the Roland VR700 is a very strong choice.

I recall the first day my VR09 arrived...I almost chucked it back in the box to return the next day because of the toy like keys and the lame piano that is the default start-up sound. But I'm so glad I left it set up and spent the next day diving deep into the organ engine and synth programming on the iPad. The keys actually work very well for organ with the quick fire sensors so near the top of the key throw.

The 09's organ can go from soft and sweet to a whacked-out distorton/flange-o monster with with a few flicks of the faders and spins of the knobs.

I've only played a VK8 a few times at the stores, but don't recall getting it to change moods with such fervor as can happen with the 09. EP's and AP's layered with strings and pads have made my cover band really sound great on some a Pink Floyd tunes (Breathe and Comfortably Numb) that we've struggled with in the past. I'm also very pleased with the sync-synth tones I've nailed down for Cars tunes. And programmed a fantastic vox-box like sound to nail Joe Walsh's solo on Rocky Mountain Way. Definitely not possible on the VK8.

However while I was waiting 4 1/2 months from my VR to arrive, if I had found a VK8 or VR700 for the same price, I would have canceled my pre-order and missed out on all the goodness.

Today, I wouldn't trade my VR09 for any other clone wheel out there, because of all the other stuff it does and that I utilize it so much. And...has it been mentioned?...TWELVE POUNDS!!!

Just so we are clear, there's a VK8 for sale in addition to the widely available VR09.

I don't see availability of other models at this point at least on Ebay or CL.

I did quite enjoy playing the VR09 synth N brass sounds. Those could really be handy in a gig. But just wished the keys were more substantial.

SSM, no need to duck.. ;-)

In this thread Jazzwee said he was looking to reduce his rig to one keyboard, and he wanted organ plus other sounds, that's what I picked up on, and that's what suggested to me that he was looking for an all-in-one and the VR-09 would be perfect.. The XK1c has no other sounds and the VK8 has a couple of other sounds that are pretty lame, if I recall correctly.

Craig

How about the vr09 thru a vent my setup it's very special

I prefer the sound of the VR organ over the VK8.. just my opinion.. there are advantages that the VK8 has that have been mentioned (waterfall keyboard, multiple amp sims, arguably better C/V, controller/drawbar/cc's) but one BIG advantage to the VR-09 and that is a much improved leslie sim. The leslie sim makes a huge difference to the sound.. and from my perspective I would take a VR-09 over a VK8 any day (that said, I would take a VK8+ventilator over a VR-09 organ any day too).

Whatever insight you have into Jazzwee's requirements will help us provide good advice and advice we have will hopefully be valuable to him when he makes his decision.

I think the problem is that Jazzwee started his search with no clear idea what he wanted. This is not dissing him, I'm sure most of us have been in the same boat. I know I certainly have!

From what I understand, he is an accomplished pianist, with no idea about organ, but wanted one for his home, so he could learn. He tried a Nord with a semi weighted action, but couldn't get on with it. He wanted a "proper" organ, preferably something light.

To complicate matters, he doesn't have a huge budget. Moe and I were urging him to check out the XK1c, and I believe he would grab one in a second if one came up at around $1000.

Then he went to GC, and came across the VR-09 and the VK8.

This is where the mind starts to get confused. You know you REALLY want the Hammond, but can't afford it. You see these "lesser" boards, and by now, are itching to get something, so you sort of convince yourself that one of them will be adequate for your needs.

Also, you start to doubt yourself. "I don't have a synth, it would be nice to own one of those, maybe that would do instead of an organ, look, it's got drawbars on it!"

Your head goes round and round, and you end up not knowing WHAT you should do. Or maybe that's just me!

@ Jazzwee. FWIW, my advice is to take a break for a week, clear your head, and then come to a decision.

Having said that, if it were me, I would save up for a few months, and keep scouring Ebay & Craigslist for a used XK1c or SK1.

Good luck!

SSM

Hi guys.

Just a few words(this is my first post),i'm really happy to be in these forums because i know i have a feeling near so many people here.

I'm a live player in france in 2 bands(blues rock/60-70,and southern rock/psyché rock 70)i'm too in multimedia and electro composition.

I'm gigging with a nord piano 2 and an electro 4(piano feel and organ feel)but i'm not a big fan of the electro4 waterfall keybed.

So i'm looking for another waterfall keybed,i try the hammond series sk1/sk2 and it's quite good.

But i love roland keybed(i have a RD700nx too)and last week i share a scene where another keyboard player had a roland VK8.

I tried it and found the keybed absolutly fantastic!

Far better and plaiseant than my nord electro 4.

I know organ purist don't think roland has the best "hammond clone sound"because the roland organs are old technology,but in the "rock70 orientation"with saturation,(and maybe a neo ventilator for exemple)there are good things to do!

So i'm thinking about took another waterfall from roland.

I looked the used VK8 but i think there are a little too expensive..

I looked the VR700,near the same price of the vk8,but hard to find.

I looked the VR09but there is a problem:

Good keyboard at a good price..but plastic keybed far from the VR700 andthe VK8!!

That's the problem today with roland:

The fa,the vr09 are very good keyboards,they have so much possibilities at a good price.

But the pleasure to play is not only on tech specs..

I love high level keybed..wood panelsheavy keyboard more stable than a too ligher VR09(if you play furious organ licks..that's better on a heavier keyboard)

So,to speak about the "VR09 organ orientation debate" ,i think the best from roland today is still the VR700.

And i'm delused roland don't sell a new organ with wood,high level waterfall keybedwith the VR09 inside.

I'm bored about all these ligh plastic declinaison from korg/yamaha and korg with good sounds in bad keybedeven if i know there are good products at a good price.

I don't want to loose the "machine feel"

Even the sk series are too much plastic,and the XK3-C is too expensive.

Here's my point of view..

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

Lekanout, welcome, and YES check out the Mojo, it is the best clone on the market no question.

NOW back to the original post/question.. Jazzwee has asked us to stop talking about these other keyboards (VR700 XK1c SK1 etc) because they are not in the equation at this point.. they are not available to him (at a price that is affordable for him) and I expect that to him this discussion doesn't serve any purpose when he is at his local music store trying to make his mind up between an used VK8 and a new VR-09 that are within $100 of each other.. (which my best guess puts them in the $800 to $1000 range).. For the record it will be a long time before you'll find any of those other keyboards in that same affordable price range (even used)! There are no XK1c's selling used these days it's a brand new product, and try finding an SK1 or a VR700 at or near that price.. forget it. SO, let's backup here and focus on the two keyboards, the VK8 vs the VR-09, as the OP has requested.

Anotherscott posted a fantastic link to the SOS review of the VK8, and a couple of things jumped out at me..

1. The awful review of the VK8 interface... (yes they crucified it and for good reason I expect).

2. The DATE ON THE REVIEW WAS SEPTEMBER 2002!!!!

3. At that time, 12 years ago, it was NOT a recommended buy!

The VK8 technology is over 12 years old, and the VK8 sounds like shit without a ventilator. This particular used VK8 could be anywhere between 0 and 12 years old. It likely has no warranty, and there is no product support, no new releases coming, nada. It's interface is awful, and it's additional sounds are unusable!! At the time of the SOS article, 12 years ago, this VK8 was not recommended.. why would it be a good idea to purchase one now?

On the other hand we have the VR-09, brand new, comes with a warranty, it sounds better and doesn't require an external sim to sound good (but it does sound awesome if you choose to upgrade the internal sim to a Ventilator or Burn). It's interface is absolutely awesome, perhaps one of the easiest boards on the planet to create splits and layers. It's extra sounds are fantastic.. not only does it have Rolands top of the line sampled piano's EP's clavs strings and a full set of workstation quality sounds, but it has a built in Virtual Analog Synth that is derived from it's top of the line Jupiter 80 synth. It comes with a free iPad editor app (which is really handy for digging into synth patches). The VR-09 is a current product, only about a year old and it is currently supported and the OS has been updated twice already to add new features, functionality, fix bugs and respond to customer feature requests. Oh yes and it weights 12 pounds and comes with all the additional features that we see in current keyboards, USB storage, Looper, built in drums and drum patterns, and so on and so forth.

So, are we really going to suggest that Jazzwee ignores all of the benefits of the new VR-09 in favour of a 12 year old piece of shit, simply because it has a better keyboard? The VR-09 is so far superior to the VK8 in so many ways that I can't fathom anyone suggesting that he even consider the VK8. Look, I get it.. if you are a diehard Hammond snob (and I'm in that group) you might prefer the waterfall keys, and the VK8 does have a nice keybed, but seriously, other than that, the VK8 is and always was a piece of crap. The VR-09 with it's new leslie sim actually sounds a lot better.

VR-09 vs a used VK8 for about the same price? Absolutely a no brainer.. VR-09.

Oh one last point.. if you don't like the keyboard buy it anyway, just make sure you have a 30 money back return policy if you don't like it.. then play the shit out of it.. and see what you think in a month.. I bet you'll be used to the keyboard an you'll absolutely love it!!

Craig MacDonald