Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

• 1 month later...

A HX3 update/upgrade is in the works an will be released soon!

- Stereo Leslie

- Virtual Key contacts

AMAZING !!!!

From the Developer at keyboardpartner forum:

Here is a first impression of the new stereo Leslie sim, raw parameters, not finally optimized. Medium throb and stereo width. Recorded directly from HX3 line-out jacks. New 122 Amp simulation has "worn out tubes" characteristic and "power supply sag" which I like very much. Horn/rotor balance is adjustable by menu, as well as throb, spread, ramp times and speeds (recording may be to "bassy"). Anyway, I did not try to resemble the Neo Ventilator in all ascpects - it sounds somewhat "chuckly" for my ears in some note ranges.

Most of the former issues are fixed:

Output jacks are mono on new board, but configurable by menu parameter, i.e. you may get plain organ ("G-G" outputs), amp122 sim, pedal or leslie L/R on any jack. Separate jack extension board for new HX3 mk3 carries "missing" signals. On present HX3 board, stereo jacks carry all signals separately, but switchable configuration A/B by former "Bass on Leslie" tab or parameter.

Lower octave foldback on 16' is configurable by menu parameter: Foldback with full level, foldback with muted level, no foldback ("all way down") with full level or muted level.

Reverb amount may be adjusted for each of three tab settings separately by menu.

Bass and Treble tone controls have wider ranges. A "mids" range may be implemented additionally (to do) which may make a multiband equalizer obsolete in most cases.

Pedal bass is fully polyphonic now with "dry" original sound or "Trek II string bass". If sustain is engaged, last note played fades out.

Strange "other manual" treble increase with vibrato ON fixed.

Adjustable AO28 tube/triode wearout.

Audio output power-on "thump" fixed on new board by timed relay.

More realistic leakage parameters from new to sleazy organ.

Virtual key contacts have "mutual contact resistance" now which yields a more "decent" click response when played softly. Depends on MIDI or key dynamics. Key contact damping and flex rate adjustable.

New vibrato delay line simulation with exact reflections due to aged caps. Adjustable "Age" parameter for each vibrato knob setting.

Todo: Detachable MenuPanel for temporary use on HX3 organ installations. Not a big problem, though.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

A HX3 update/upgrade is in the works an will be released soon!

- Stereo Leslie

- Virtual Key contacts

AMAZING !!!!

From the Developer at keyboardpartner forum:

Here is a first impression of the new stereo Leslie sim ...

Thx,- sounds great.

I waited for the stereo leslie sim and now hope all these upgrades won´t be only for the HX3 circuit board but also for the MIDI expander module.

I don´t see any details in regards of mkIII on their website up to now,- but I think you´re well informed,- are you ?

A.C.

Hi A.C.,

just to clarify: I'm not related to the company, just a happy

customer ! :-)

There is no difference between the HX-3 Board and the Expander. The same HX3-Board (connected to the display-board) sits inside the metal case, that's it.

The homepage and online shop will be updated next week. The expander modules ordered the last 2 weeks will have the improvements when delivered (infos sourced from the HX3-forum).

cheers

markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Hi A.C.,

just to clarify: I'm not related to the company, just a happy

customer ! :-)

Yes Markus,- I know ... :-)

I see you´re one of the 1st 3 owners of such a expander module.

There is no difference between the HX-3 Board and the Expander. The same HX3-Board (connected to the display-board) sits inside the metal case, that's it.

Yep, I know but you were talking about a piggy back expansion for additional outputs didn´t you ?

So, I wondered if this is only a solution for the boards/expander modules delivered w/ the previous version circuit boards of if there will be a totally new HX3mk3 board for the new models.

I remember the leslie sim in mono was a result of limited ressources and now the leslie sim comes back in stereo again.

Is that a result of optimisations or upgraded "processor"(FPGA)?

I also wonder if a new expander module now will come w/ drawbars and rocker switches, this eventually build in or as a remote device,- because that was mentioned in the blog end of last year.

The homepage and online shop will be updated next week. The expander modules ordered the last 2 weeks will have the improvements when delivered (infos sourced from the HX3-forum).

cheers

markus

I visit the keyboardpartner site frequently and see they are in holydays now.

Thx for all your info !

I´m very interested in the HX3 ...

Couldn´t find a cheapo XB2 for modification up to now and will eventually decide for the expander module.

A.C.

Hi AC,

no, that is another Markus (but I know him very well, a friend!)

Yes there will be a new hardware revision too, but the mk2 board can run

the new engine too!

No new FPGA, code optimisation!

Du findest alle Infos hier:

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168

;-)

m_g

Hi AC,

no, that is another Markus (but I know him very well, a friend!)

Ahh,- c´mon ... :laugh:

Yes there will be a new hardware revision too, but the mk2 board can run

the new engine too!

No new FPGA, code optimisation!

Du findest alle Infos hier:

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168

;-)

m_g

Danke !

Thx man ... great read ! :cool:

A.C.

Here's a new vid I just found:

I wish Frank had switched back and forth between the module and the XK3. The thing about vids like this is is the grit coming from the module, the Leslie or just not a great recording? We still need more info.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Seems very promising, sonically. But to control it with my JP50, it would need to have drawbars - as the JP50's front panel control interface falls short for the task. And that goes for several, current keyboards on the market; even the Kronos and PC3 lose the ability to control drawbars via MIDI when in Combination and Setup mode, respectively. So that would mean having a separate, drawbar unit - which defeats the simplicity of a single, self contained organ module.

The HX-3 Expander seems very cool - for particular rigs and applications; if it helps some of you here, that's great. But I'm left wondering: When is a manufacturer going to produce a compact, tabletop organ module that possesses onboard tonewheel organ controls and drawbars - plus a current, high caliber rotary sim. ? We've had the technology for a few years now; where's Hammond with this ? An HX-3 tabletop, with drawbars, would fit the bill nicely :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Seems very promising, sonically. But to control it with my JP50, it would need to have drawbars - as the JP50's front panel control interface falls short for the task. And that goes for several, current keyboards on the market; even the Kronos and PC3 lose the ability to control drawbars via MIDI when in Combination and Setup mode, respectively. So that would mean having a separate, drawbar unit - which defeats the simplicity of a single, self contained organ module.

The HX-3 Expander seems very cool - for particular rigs and applications; if it helps some of you here, that's great. But I'm left wondering: When is a manufacturer going to produce a compact, tabletop organ module that possesses onboard tonewheel organ controls and drawbars - plus a current, high caliber rotary sim. ? We've had the technology for a few years now; where's Hammond with this ? An HX-3 tabletop, with drawbars, would fit the bill nicely :thu:

They announced a Expander version with drawbars in November last year.

Not sure if and when it will be released.....

The KEYB Expander has drawbars.

even the Kronos and PC3 lose the ability to control drawbars via MIDI when in Combination and Setup mode, respectively.

The PC3 can send any midi cc in setup mode, I use the sliders both for VB3 and lower manual SK1 ctrl...

That's right... :blush: Been 4 years since I had a PC3 in the workspace. Still, it would've been good to see Roland's latest instruments have a broader palette of external (and internal) control features. Even Yamaha - which has offered a capable set of controls in the Motif and its derivatives - could use a facelift in upcoming generations; nine sliders, perhaps ? Would be helpful in a lot of ways - especially with players that want to use their ROMpler style keyboard with something like an HX-3 Expander.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

They announced a Expander version with drawbars in November last year.

Not sure if and when it will be released.

Yes, they announced that kind of expander.

For the time being, they´ve found a partner building custom organs and using their HX3 engine it seems.

magorgans

There are a few audio demos under the multimedia tab, but don´t know if that´s the upgraded engine already,- and the FAQ says clearly they use the HX3 engine.

Found that on the german keyboardpartner page which is updated already,- english site isn´t.

A.C.

AC, those mag organs look pretty sweet, but the pics are renders. Do they have actual shipping product? Are there any actual images of the instruments?

I don´t know, they are Czech ...

http://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=16

On "keyboardpartner" german-site, they mention "MAG" had been on promotion tour w/ their custom organs and there were positive comments throughout also from extremely picky Hammond enthusiasts.

I don´t know if that´s true or not but when they had been on promo tour, there should be pics existing.

Maybe contacting "MAG" is the best to find out.

Is all pretty new anyway and the upgraded HX3 board w/ re-coded software will be available beginning of may earliest.

A.C.

I got it from b-3 guys in 2011 for $1600 , which turned out to

be too much , dmi later had it listed at $1100 on their website . it appears that they've gone on to crash and burn .

I believe you can but it direct from keyb for 1100 , b-3 guys no longer carries any of their stuff . it's been trouble free and it's solidly built . it's a keyb organ in a box , 2 sets of drawbars and 2 pedal drawbars , it even has a big knob for the c/v . there's a few you-tube videos of alberto marsico using one

I got it from b-3 guys in 2011 for $1600 , which turned out to

be too much , dmi later had it listed at $1100 on their website . it appears that they've gone on to crash and burn .

I believe you can but it direct from keyb for 1100 , b-3 guys no longer carries any of their stuff . it's been trouble free and it's solidly built . it's a keyb organ in a box , 2 sets of drawbars and 2 pedal drawbars , it even has a big knob for the c/v . there's a few you-tube videos of alberto marsico using one

Glad you were able to get one of these, Bill; the KeyB Expander - or something exactly like it - is the missing-link in my gig rig. But I pursued the KeyB Expander a bit late - between the KeyB / Davis-Mueller debacle (and the resulting crumbling of North American distribution), and lack of returned emails / calls made to Elvio in Italy, I put the idea on hold.

Wonder when an HX-3 with drawbars will be realistically available though.... And no one else appears to be creating an all-in-one module w/drawbars.

And no one else appears to be creating an all-in-one module w/drawbars.

Yeah, it looks like the Roland VK-8M was finally discontinued.

There's the Ferrofish B4000+ but it's not readily available in the U.S., and the sound is eh.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

you've been having trouble getting in touch with elvio ? can I ask how long ago that was ?

It was back in early 2013, IIRC. I should revisit that idea. The last half of 2013 got a little nuts - with my mom getting sick, then two home sales and moves. Starting to play out again, so the dedicated, clonewheel module would be a good thing.

I have a keyb expander , it's got drawbars , an 11 pin leslie

outlet and it has its own leslie sim which is second to only

the vent , I'd say it's pretty close to the vent except for the

overdrive

I would say that the KeyB sim and Vent is pretty different.

First off, the KeyB sim simulates how a Leslie sounds in a room while the Vent simulates a miked Leslie. You have WAY more Amplitude Modulation on the Vent. The lack of AM on the KeyB sim really bothers me on fast/tremolo. Gets washy.

The new KeyB Legend has also a miked up Leslie simulation as well. This works much better for rock sounds.

If I play rock stuff I have to use VB3 for now...

HX3 paired with a Vent I´m sure is a killer combo.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

This ?

HX3 paired with a Vent I´m sure is a killer combo.

For sure it is, but I doubt you need the Vent w/ the upgraded HX3 anymore.

I ´d see the combo as an alternative though.

A.C.

This ?

If the above audio references are anything to go by, I'd say the internal HX leslie still doesn't cut it. The Neo Vent combo is without question the route to go.

If the above audio references are anything to go by, I'd say the internal HX leslie still doesn't cut it. The Neo Vent combo is without question the route to go.

I´d say, a real Leslie is the best,- Neo Vent is the best ext. Leslie sim and according the in organ clones build in Leslie sims, there are compromizes as it´s also matter of taste.

When I hear the NEO,- the main difference to the other sims is, it´s closed mic and the overdrive sounds significantly better compared to most other sims.

The HX3 int. Leslie sim to me sounds like being designed to mimik a leslie in a room, similar to KeyB internal Leslie sim,- not closed mic.

Also not much overdrive in these examples.

HX3 w/ Vent sounds good anyway.

Now, I want to know what the tweakable parameters for the internal Leslie sim of the new HX3 will be and how the different tweaks will sound.

Until I don´t know,- I cannot say what´s better.

That´s why I said the Vent is an alternative anyway, especially if you already own one.

Actually I wait for more news,- the expander module is interesting but something organ haptics w/ key contacts directly connected by Fatar scan boards (instead of MIDI) to the build in HX3 electronics might be more interesting for me (or the upcoming expander module w/ drawbars and buttons).

A.C.