Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Carl C. Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The RD-800 itself is fine but its owners may be the problem causing a potential recall. Power input set to close to the XLR. I also read a halt on sales. Maybe until the attorneys figure it out I guess. It doesn't seem like a big deal but not sure what to make of it idk

Scroll half way down the page and you will see warning:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1307/features/

Keyboard Corner Island
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
I've been reading about this and find it funny since pros are the ones buying this model.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Power input set to close to the XLR.

I always figured the power input on my SV1 was on the other side of the piano to prevent interference not stupidity. By the description I thought they were right next to each other but there is about 6-8 inches and a headphone jack between the XLR and the power input!

Last edited by Toano88; 04/14/14 11:39 AM.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12
Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
You can't fix stupid.

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
C
Carl C. Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does Roland really need to do a recall or stop sales because a few owners "pros" stuck the plug in the wrong hole? Geez, then computer industry is going to be doomed with all the ports that can be mistaken. Im sure a few "pros" tried to jam USB host into a RJ45 by accident

S
S
'a user might mistakenly connect the AC power cord to one of the XLR output sockets. This could result in the internal circuitry being damaged, and possibly, a safety issue, although Roland has heard of no actual cases.'

That's because they blew up their audio outs, haven't heard anything since ^^

Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
10k Club
I don't get this....outside the US, do they use XLR connectors for power? I couldn't imagine plugging an IEC cable into an XLR.

We have some Tannoy monitors that use a Speakon connector for the AC power - I always thought that was a bad idea...it means you have a cable with a speakon connector that you can plug into the wall....and a speaker with speakon connectors. Don't know why anybody would do that, but with the cable in existence, it's possible.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
I couldn't imagine it either, so I took a look at a pic of the back of the piano. It looks like it uses those 2 prong non grounded connectors like Nord does.

The XLR is 6 inches away, but I suppose if you were determined, you could cram the connector onto 2 of the XLR pins.

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

X
X
Though I would not make that mistake, I did think it was an unusual choice of power cords. These keyboards may be set up in low-light by any number of other people than a pro-player/owner: stage hands, students, cartage,etc. And, the jacks are obscured by the large overhanging lip on the front that wasn't the case on the RD-700s. They could add a rubber safety cover/plug for the XLR jacks as a cheap precaution.

Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
I couldn't imagine it either, so I took a look at a pic of the back of the piano. It looks like it uses those 2 prong non grounded connectors like Nord does.

The XLR is 6 inches away, but I suppose if you were determined, you could cram the connector onto 2 of the XLR pins.

KLONK for PHOTO

Attention RD-800 Users,

Please take care to ensure that the power cable to your RD-800 is correctly inserted ONLY into the power socket at the end of the keyboard.

Roland has identified an issue with the RD-800 Digital Piano that has been reported in a very small number of cases outside of the U.S. which could lead to damage of the unit. On the rear panel, there is a possibility that a user might mistakenly connect the AC power cord to one of the XLR output sockets. This could result in the internal circuitry being damaged, and possibly, a safety issue, although Roland has heard of no actual cases.

For further information regarding this advisory notice, please contact Roland Customer Service at support@rolandus.com or register your RD-800 at

www.rolandus.com/support/rd800_registration.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
I wonder why they specify "outside the US" - do they ship to the US with IEC connectors?

Moe
---

Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
I wonder why they specify "outside the US" - do they ship to the US with IEC connectors?
Maybe the U.S. version is three-prong?

‚Äč"How long will it take me to master Aikido piano?" a prospective student asks.

"How long do you expect to live?" is the only respectable response.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Where's Sven when you really need him????? I'm sorry I meant the Ambassador of Goodwill

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; GEM Equinox; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini; GSI Burn
www.dyinbreedband.com
www.facebook.com/acoustaxx/
10k Club
10k Club

People in the US aren't stupid enough to plug the power cord into an XLR jack?

rimshot wave poke

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Roland should just make a couple of caps for XLR's, that are attached like a gas cap.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I don't get this....outside the US, do they use XLR connectors for power? I couldn't imagine plugging an IEC cable into an XLR.

I don't see it either...

Even with the photo, it seems next to impossible to do.

Sundown

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase
C
Carl C. Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: 16251
Roland should just make a couple of caps for XLR's, that are attached like a gas cap.

Excellent idea! As silly as it may seem to have to "childproof" a stage piano, caps would saves a ton of money by avoiding a recall and cost only pennies to send out free plastic caps. But then again, one might swallow a small plastic XLR cap then we will have a XLR cap recall. Shame on you 16251 for not thinking this all the way through.

X
X
Neutrik makes these SCMs, a cap on a tether that fastens to the jack's mounting screw. No getting swallowed or lost, and they cost a couple dollars. There you go, Roland.

http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/multimedia/multimedia-connectors/multimedia-accessories/scm

Gold Member
Gold Member
Late April fools?

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.
C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Just gotta say, if you're stupid enough to plug a power main into an XLR, you deserve whatever happens next. And if you're the paid help -- and oughta know what you're doing -- you double-deserve whatever happens.

Lawyers will be the end of us all ...

Life is too short to be playing bad music.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: cphollis
Just gotta say, if you're stupid enough to plug a power main into an XLR, you deserve whatever happens next.

laugh Reminds me of a meme I saw on Facebook recently. It said, "I'm not saying kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying remove all the warning labels and let natural selection take its course." grin

><>
Steve
C
Carl C. Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Maybe with all negative Yamaha CP4 and Kurzweil Artis reviews that "someone" tried to divert some of that negative attention towards Roland's well reviewed RD-800. Or it could simply be a disgruntled Roland employee trying to create a little havoc. Guess I just cant figure out how or why this is an issue for Roland. Have you seen the photo of the back of the RD-800? I mean, come on, really!? Just go with the great cap idea and be done with it already.

MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
In a related story, people are using the USB port and damper input to attach a music stand onto their RD800 smile

C
Carl C. Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: 16251
In a related story, people are using the USB port and damper input to attach a music stand onto their RD800 smile

You're just full of great ideas!!

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, the CP4 has both XLR and IEC power inputs, and no-one has ever suggested that's a risk. I really can't see why Roland chose to put this up on their website. I mean, you'd have to be an absolute dork - you'd really need to force the damn thing!

All I can wonder is if some high profile user has managed to be that dork and threatened Roland with some sort of lawsuit. I can't really imagine any other reason for this disclaimer appearing. They wouldn't take any notice of the likes of me.

Time to compile a list of high profile Roland RD users and compare dorkiness? smile

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Aidan
Well, the CP4 has both XLR and IEC power inputs, and no-one has ever suggested that's a risk.

Actually, I believe the CP4 uses a C14-type (three pin) power inlet, while the RD-800 uses a C8-type (two pin) power inlet. The pins on the former are thicker and wider apart, preventing the power cable from being connected to any other jack.

Yes, it's crazy that some users are connecting the RD-800's power cable to an XLR jack. However, a respected manufacturer such as Roland has an obligation to consider any safety/operation issues affecting it's products.

Rubber caps on the XLR jacks is one thing, however the only way to guarantee users do not connect power to the wrong jack is to revert back to the C14-type (three pin) power inlet used on the RD-700 and most other stage pianos.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I bet we've all plugged something into the back of a keyboard, standing in front and unable to see the back. It's serious bad luck that the two C8 pins and the two horizontal pins on XLR happen to be the same distance apart and close to the same size. Switch to the C14 and the problem goes away.

Meanwhile, for those of us who have an RD800, just remember that the power jack is at the very end of the keyboard, make sure your fingers remember that square box around the jack, and no worries. Also, don't let anyone else set up your gear.

Maybe I'm dense, but I can see this happening without it being a candidate for the Darwin awards.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
It perhaps doesn't help that the rear of the instrument is rounded, with jacks plugging into the recessed part towards the bottom. Plus there's no panel printing on the top, making connecting the instrument by reaching over rather difficult.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
CEB Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I can see users doing things like this. Personally I have not done this but I have been in many tight, restricted, low light/dark situations laying on back or reaching from behind trying to plug in gear.

I can especially see this happen with a brand new piece of gear people are not familiar with.

Last edited by CEB; 04/15/14 12:57 PM.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That's why I put a tiny piece of red tape next to the power connector, and another tiny piece on the top rear edge directly over it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard