Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2583498 - 03/23/14 09:53 PM Anybody Alive?
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Ok, so there was a recent thread on the KC about the prevelance of OT topics. I think if this thread was more active, they'd show up here. I see the same thing on the LowDown and guitar forums. So how do we move traffic here? I think this would be a great place to discuss the BUSINESS of bands, band dynamics, PA, monitoring, etc. Maybe a campaign with some (illegal) cross-threading?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2583594 - 03/24/14 07:23 AM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: J. Dan]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Hey, we could always start moving them down here. It'd be better than just cleaning up spam from this spot every other day... freak

#2584076 - 03/25/14 01:01 PM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: Griffinator]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Or we could close this forum down... wink

Honestly each of the members, on any given subforum, know each other. That is why they tend to stick to their respective forums. If a question requires input from a member outside of the subforum (say a guitar player asking a question about keyboards), then it will usually be asked there.

If a subforum is not getting any traffic, it's because there isn't any interest in that particular topic. Thinning out the other forums to compensate is not the way to go, IMO.
My Pics

#2584101 - 03/25/14 02:07 PM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: A String]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

I see a lot of parallel discussions taking place on different forums on the same subjects that would be nice in a place like this if you got participation from all the groups. If you're talking about booking gigs, or whether the guy with the PA gets a bigger cut, or other things specific to being in a band, but not a specific instrument, it would be cool to get input from a wider group of musicians rather than have a Bass player discussion in one place and a Keyboard player discussion in the other place about the same thing.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2696582 - 06/13/15 11:52 AM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: J. Dan]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
I thought this specific forum had closed down YEARS ago!!

Will drop in more, from now on!

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#2696702 - 06/14/15 05:28 AM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I check this forum, Songwriting, and Downstairs Lounge once a day. I also check the Keyboard Editors' Office once a day. There's rarely activity in any of them. It's too bad, as it would be interesting to have some cross-pollination from members of the other active forums (Keyboard Corner, Guitar Player, Lowdown, EQ). I think the only way that would happen is if there were links to each of the Music Player General Forums from each of those instrument-specific fora. UBB threads would have to have that functionality and I don't know if it does.

#2697025 - 06/15/15 12:11 PM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: Joe Muscara]
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I agree, Dan, that it would be nice to have appropriate discussions here with potential input from at least all of the MP forum regulars, if not drawing a fresh new crowd.

For example, you recently mentioned stage monitors and I expanded that to include IEMs and left it open-ended enough for "what does your band use? why do you like/not like it?" type responses. (Hmm. Maybe I should have started a new topic for that?)

But, similar to what A String said, "as is" the magazine forums have just enough critical mass. What happens if we dilute them by bringing traffic here instead? Are the magazine forums going to be left with just celebrity birthday announcements?

What we have today is not ideal but it's what we've evolved to be.

#2697160 - 06/16/15 03:05 AM Re: Anybody Alive? [Re: Eric VB]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

There have been a TON of threads on monitors and IEM's on the keyboard corner...they are discussed ad nauseum. One thing you see on those discussions that you would see much less of if it was the musical community at large is the breakdown into mono vs stereo debate, which seems to always hijack every monitoring thread. I suspect that it's mostly isolated to keyboard players unless a drummer wants his toms panned or something. Bass is mono. Guitars sometimes have stereo effects, but typically run mono from what I've seen. Vocals are mono, unless they use stereo effects FOH, but usually that wouldn't be applied to monitors. So there's a hell of a lot of good monitoring info over there if you can stand to wade through the stereo/mono stuff.

Regarding traffic, the keyboard corner gets a ton, and I actually think it would be better to offload the non-keyboard discussions to a place like this. Guitar player has decent traffic, but most of it seems to be focused on guitar stuff, so I don't know how much traffic it would lose. The Lowdown seems to have really dropped off in traffic - not sure why that is.

Edited by J. Dan (06/16/15 03:07 AM)

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer