Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

I imagine that you can assign the knobs to do that- at least that is my hope!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was considering the MOXF8 for this reason also. I know it can do this with 4 sounds simultaneously but also don't know if it can be done in real time with sliders or knobs.

Yes, you can do this on the MOXF.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, I was hoping that too. I am now seeing that the assignable knobs can be set to cc-07 which I think is level on this instrument so I suppose you could control 6 parts this way. I'll have to try this before my 30 day return period runs out!!

Thanks!

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Yes, I was hoping that too. I am now seeing that the assignable knobs can be set to cc-07 which I think is level on this instrument so I suppose you could control 6 parts this way. I'll have to try this before my 30 day return period runs out!!

Thanks!

See it that works out. As all the parts are on the same MIDI channel, I'm not sure how it's going to determine which is which. If you used the KEYPADS to select the part and then used the Sound Modify VOLUME it seems that it would work, but I assume that's more steps than you wanted.

Busch.

There is also a dedicated volume knob on the 1st row, but you'd need to select the part 1st. This would work for me as I typically use the faders on my S70XS to blend in a 2nd sound with the 1st sound, like adding a pad under an EP. Hopefully when you save a patch/studio set whatever part you left active on the controls is what comes up when you recall it.

Most of my more complex splits/layers are preset with the volumes and don't need any adjustment live, that'll be my plan for this board as well.

I'm sure once a few of us get our hands on this we'll figure out how to get things done!

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I haven't tried it on the FA06 yet, but I had an issue programming splits on my SonicCell where each part of a studio set/multi/combi would respond to the same cc:s no matter how I filtered the midi. A friend of mine tried it on a Fantom G and had the same result - the same channel meant no midi filter per part. However, on program level you can assign how a tone responds to cc:s, like a "pre-filter filter".

I took vacation today. Checked Fed EX tracking after rehearsal last night and the delivery date changed to tomorrow. Well I cleaned out my car and working the garage and my on my SH-101..... and discovered my vocal mic stands never came back from the old band.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Woohoo....my FA08 shipped yesterday. Due WEdnesday. :(

:)

Better than the 1st week of April like mine!

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Yes, I was hoping that too. I am now seeing that the assignable knobs can be set to cc-07 which I think is level on this instrument so I suppose you could control 6 parts this way. I'll have to try this before my 30 day return period runs out

Thanks!

See it that works out. As all the parts are on the same MIDI channel, I'm not sure how it's going to determine which is which. If you used the KEYPADS to select the part and then used the Sound Modify VOLUME it seems that it would work, but I assume that's more steps than you wanted.

Busch.

I haven't tried it on the FA06 yet, but I had an issue programming splits on my SonicCell where each part of a studio set/multi/combi would respond to the same cc:s no matter how I filtered the midi. A friend of mine tried it on a Fantom G and had the same result - the same channel meant no midi filter per part. However, on program level you can assign how a tone responds to cc:s, like a "pre-filter filter".
There is also a dedicated volume knob on the 1st row, but you'd need to select the part 1st. This would work for me as I typically use the faders on my S70XS to blend in a 2nd sound with the 1st sound, like adding a pad under an EP. Hopefully when you save a patch/studio set whatever part you left active on the controls is what comes up when you recall it.

Most of my more complex splits/layers are preset with the volumes and don't need any adjustment live, that'll be my plan for this board as well.

I'm sure once a few of us get our hands on this we'll figure out how to get things done!

All three of these above posts were accurate (unfortunately, for what I want to do!) and appreciated. Since all parts of a studio set are on the same MIDI channel, they cannot be separately controlled by the assignable knobs as was alluded to above....strike one.

In the "mixer" section of the edit mode you can adjust the level of an individual part but can't listen the the other parts simultaneously as you do this. No good. Strike two.

I suppose I could select the part I want to adjust via the pads as was suggested above (once again, great reply posts) and move that level in real time...

I am disappointed by this limitation. I guess I assumed the FA08/06 had this capability of real time multi-voice dynamic control as other workstations do (previously mentioned in my earlier post)

Granted, this keyboard is NOT the cost of those flagship workstations in their day.

I see that some of you are getting your FA08/06 shipped to you very shortly. That's great ! Hopefully, more eyes on this instrument will benefit all of us in reaping the full potential of it !

BTW, After second listen, I really was not impressed by the organ engine or leslie sim on the FA. I think I previously said I thought I liked it but.....there are better options.

I am loving everything else about this board but might re look at the MOXF8 before my return time expires. I'd hate to give up this board. Maybe an email to Roland support about this capability is in order?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

The Leslie sim is a bit better than I thought, but the organ is very rompler sounding. It sounds like the organ in the Jupiters, which is a bit weak. No C/V is a big limitation. To me, the VR-09 sounds much better.

The Leslie sim is a bit better than I thought, but the organ is very rompler sounding. It sounds like the organ in the Jupiters, which is a bit weak. No C/V is a big limitation. To me, the VR-09 sounds much better.

I only had a couple of minutes with one today, but in a quick mini-eval I thought Rotary 1 sounded best, but that doesn't include an overdrive parameter, only Rotary 3 does. You can use the overdrive MFX, but that sounded pretty bad. Maybe one of the guitar amp sims would have been better...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The organ is certainly passable going sub out through a vent.

This thing has so many SN synth tones. It's really nice. Playing piano/e.piano parts on the 06 leaves a lot to be desired but for someone who has piano action covered, this is a great keyboard for synth/organ (w/o drawbars).

Rehearsal in two and half hours. Still waiting on Fed Ex. Told wife I order a sampler. Didn't tell it was coming it 3 huge boxes. Got to have the accessories. Sounds like this will work well with my existing gear.

Since all parts of a studio set are on the same MIDI channel, they cannot be separately controlled by the assignable knobs as was alluded to above....strike one.

IIRC sounds can have different channels in a Studio Setup - assign them to a channel and enable keyboard on edit page 2. Perhaps that can make a difference?!

The FA-06 keys are just as shitty as the ones on the VR-09, GAIA, and Juno-Di. I would rather play a Krome -- at least its keys are full sized.

Also, the Wurli sounds are very good and need to be played on a weighted action.

Yep. The action sucks. VERY shallow. I think the black keys on the FA are better than the Krome. But I guess I am going to keep the Roland.

Sonically it is strong where my yamaha is weak. I will the synth engine. It is was stronger at heavy synth brass, saws, synth strings and leads. I bought it for the sampler and sequencer anyway. I only have an hour on the board. I didn't like S90XS the 1st day I got it. Maybe the FA-06 will get a little better.

The paper manual blows. What I need to know is stored on a pdf in the FA memory. How do it get that to the laptop where I can read it. I want to make this unit a MIDI slave to the S90.

Not up on Roland lingo anymore. Are studio sets like Yamaha's Performance Mode setups?

Should we start a user group thread or run all the technical stuff through this one.

I really like the filters .... or fake filters. (I don't understand VA architecture.) I am getting a lot more comfortable with the keys. This will replace the SH-101 in my pop band also. The saws are nice

Woohoo....my FA08 shipped yesterday. Due WEdnesday. :(

:)

I do my best to keep up to date with the various threads and gigging musicians on here - have I understood this right - you're replacing your current live rig with this?

If so my curiosity is well and truely piqued.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Yep. The action sucks. VERY shallow.

I have not played the 06 yet, but it seems as though the actions on these lower-priced boards are always disappointing. What a shame.

Higher-quality actions must be a real factor in keeping prices down in the $999 - $1,199 range. Perhaps they add to the weight as well.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I agree with DBon's post above. The FA06 keys feel just like the juno g I used to own. Exactly what I was hoping would not be the case. I spent more than an hour with the 06 at GC in Baton Rouge. I have been strictly a roland owner xp10 to juno g (with srx 07) to FAntom x6 to Fantom g6. I currently have the X6 (with srx 03, 07, and 11). I really wanted to like this board but I think I'm going to pass for the time being. Maybe pick up a used integra. Have $2k to spend was going to get the FA 06 plus a new bass for the studio. Think I'm going to keep my X6 sell srx 11 and buy 09 and 05. And buy a Nord electro 4 sw 73 for piano sounds.

I really like the filters .... or fake filters. (I don't understand VA architecture.) I am getting a lot more comfortable with the keys. This will replace the SH-101 in my pop band also. The saws are nice

Does the FA-06 keyboard feel good enough for organ and synth lead and pad parts where you also use a weighted action or better quality bottom keyboard for AP and EP? I guess our expectations at this price point shouldn't be that high. :deadhorse: