Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CP5 can a Roland sustain pedal be used with the Yammie?
#2581404 03/16/14 07:25 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I bought CP5 as is, the pedal was broken. I have a nice Roland Sustain pedal. Can the Roland substitute for the FC3; for sustain function?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you
We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement
Keyboard Corner Island
Re: CP5 can a Roland sustain pedal be used with the Yammie?
I-missRichardTee #2581409 03/16/14 07:47 PM
M
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
IIRC the polarity is different - easy enough to change though smile

The trouble with doing the job correctly first time, is no-one will ever know just how difficult it was.
miden #2581507 03/17/14 04:05 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Change in the keyboard CP5 or the pedal? Then there is issue of turning keyboard on while pedal is plugged in. There are ways to set the polarity and you still get sustain while the pedal is NOT depressed.. contrary results like that. I recall some confusing aspects to changing polarity when mixing brands of keyboards and sustain pedals.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement
I-missRichardTee #2581512 03/17/14 05:29 AM
S
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
S
Not sure if your pedal will work. I was the other way round, (wanted to use a Yamaha pedal with a Roland keyboard). The polarity was wrong, and I bought a cable from Ashby Solutions to reverse the polarity.

Works like a charm, you may need to do the same thing.

Or buy a Yamaha pedal. The cable from Ashby will be about half the price of a pedal.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!
I-missRichardTee #2581513 03/17/14 05:35 AM
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member
There could be 3 solutions:

1. The keyboard may have a polarity setting. Strangely, though, most boards don't. I'm not familiar with the CP5. You might check the manual.

2. The pedal might have a polarity switch.

3. If 1 and 2 fail, you can jury rig a polarity reversal in one of two ways. If you're comfortable with soldering, you can swap the tip and ring connections on the pedal's TRS plug. If you're not into soldering, or simply don't want to permanently alter your pedal, the other way is to hit up a Radio Shack or similar store for a Y-adapter that splits a TRS into separate tip and ring lines (think of it as splitting stereo to two mono lines). Then get a second adapter that is the opposite, in terms of male-female. Plug them together, and if it works, you're good to go. If it doesn't work, switch the connections on the two adapters.

edit: or...buy the Ashby adapter, as Six-String suggested. It's essentially a more elegant version of the "Radio Shack" method.

I-missRichardTee #2581515 03/17/14 06:10 AM
K
K
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
I bought CP5 as is, the pedal was broken. I have a nice Roland Sustain pedal. Can the Roland substitute for the FC3; for sustain function?

I do not think so. The CP5 supports half pedaling and the original FC3 pedal is made for this. If you plug in a simple on/off sustain pedal it will only give sustain on/off not partial sustain as a function of how much you depress the sustain pedal. I would not mess with changing polarity of the Roland pedal if it not works directly. The CP5 is not programable to change polarity. Buy a new FC3.

Kurt W #2581628 03/17/14 02:08 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Continuous pedals (for half-pedaling) can have reversed polarity.

On/off pedals can have "wrong sense" (normally open versus normally closed). This is often mistakenly called "polarity" but it is not polarity.

The fix for the two is completely different. The Ashby Solutions widget fixes polarity issues, so it only fixes continuous controllers and not "wrong sense".

Many keyboards will handle whatever sense of on/off pedal is plugged in when it powers up, so try plugging in the Roland pedal and turn the CP5 on, see what happens.

Better yet, look on the bottom of the Roland pedal to see if there's a switch. If there is (and if the pedal wasn't working when you tried it), try flipping the switch.

Long term, IMHO it's better to have the correct pedal for the keyboard than to rely on power-up sensing, so you don't have to cycle power at a gig when you forgot to plug in the pedal. Go to GC or anywhere and pick up a pedal with a switch. Better yet, get a continuous controller ("half-pedaling") pedal for the CP5. There are two kinds, and one kind will require the widget from Ashby Solutions (unless it has a "polarity" switch).

Good luck! Too bad this isn't simpler. I'd like to take whatever moron thought that "normally closed" was a sensible way to design a sustain pedal and do nasty things to him. There are three good reasons for "normally open", but I have never heard anyone give one good reason for "normally closed".

JeffLearman #2581636 03/17/14 02:36 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Oh -- the good news is that using the wrong pedal will not break the keyboard, so it's always OK to plug it in and try it.

JeffLearman #2581649 03/17/14 03:08 PM
M
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Well, it is polarity as the + and - are reversed depending on brand of pedal, sorry to argue the point.So called "half-pedals" which are really a "continuous controller" rather than a simple open/closed circuit design.

The Roland DP-10 can have the three terminals + - and earth re-configured to run in the Yamaha format.

The Roland DP-10 can have the three terminals + - and earth(sleeve) re-configured to run in the Yamaha format.

Picture is of the modified DP-10 for the Yamaha

The original Roland connection is from left to right white, black and red.
In the picture it is red,white and black (the Yamaha wiring)
Before - After
white - red
black - white
red - black

The Roland cable colour code is:
Tip is WHITE (wiper of the pot)
Ring is RED (+)
Sleeve is BLACK (Gnd)

Last edited by miden; 03/17/14 03:47 PM.

The trouble with doing the job correctly first time, is no-one will ever know just how difficult it was.
miden #2581679 03/17/14 04:20 PM
the RD800 has a pedal polarity reversal setting... maybe your keyboard does too idk

sMatt #2581692 03/17/14 05:24 PM
R
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R

Kurt W #2581703 03/17/14 05:53 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Kurt W
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee

I do not think so. The CP5 supports half pedaling and the original FC3 pedal is made for this. If you plug in a simple on/off sustain pedal it will only give sustain on/off not partial sustain as a function of how much you depress the sustain pedal. I would not mess with changing polarity of the Roland pedal if it not works directly. The CP5 is not programable to change polarity. Buy a new FC3.

I just purchased from GC the FC3. You are saying pressing the pedal halfway, does what, acts as a soft pedal? Thank you all who responded.. this place rocks! rawk

Last edited by I-missRichardTee; 03/17/14 06:24 PM.

I-missRichardTee #2581735 03/17/14 07:23 PM
M
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
1/2 way 1/4 way 3/4 way take your pick. The pedals set for "half-pedalling" are really a continuous controller which means they transmit in increments from 0-127, rather than just 0 and 127 (or off an on) from a standard pedal.

As is the case with a real piano the amount of "sustain" on the string can be controlled to a degree by how much pressure is applied to the pedal. So the term "half pedal" was coined.

In theory the pedal works as above, but in practice with most hardware based romplers there is, in reality, only on half-way on/off and then off...Very difficult to "get" the subtle variations in between.

Some of the really expensive VST pianos respond with far more accuracy

miden #2581835 03/18/14 09:25 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure about the FC3 being reversed from a Roland pedal. I have both an FC3 and a 25 year old DP10 and use them both on my S70XS. The DP10 stays in my music area and I use it when I don't bring my suitcase of stuff down there to practice.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1
Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6
www.bksband.com
www.echoesrocks.com

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard