Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ABECK when did you order? Did you preorder back when it was announced? Their site says "more arriving in a few weeks"

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

AND, without the additional Radias EXP,$$ you don't have a very good VA synth, Besides, the pianos on the M3 do not compare to either MOXF or FA08

C'mon, doesn't compare? I've played an M3 88 Expanded several times and the piano sounds awesome. An M3 is a heckuva board. Is it the best there is, everybody else can just sit down? Of course not, this is all subjective but it certainly compares and compares very well imho. I've found several M3 Expanded 73's on SoCal CL lately for $1,200 to 1,400. I loved the M3's four years ago but they were around $2,500 then. I'm very impressed with the new FA06 but push comes to shove I prefer a 73/76 key. Something for me to think about.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I've been reading the manual..

It seems that FA can transmit MIDI only on one channel at the time. The 'keyboard split' is only for inner voices. You cannot change midi parameters (eg. MIDI channel or controller functions) separately by keyboard zone. Think for instance disabling hold pedal for only lower split. Not possible.

Even D50 (over 20 years ago) could do these basic functions.

I'm not sure this is correct. For what you want, I think you'll want to use Multi-part and Sequencer set-up screens. :snax:

First, please keep in mind that the Studio Set Multi-Parts (1-16) equate to Sequencer tracks (1-16). The diagram on page 10 of the ref. manual shows this relationship.

The reference manual (pg 68) shows each track's data which is sent and this includes MIDI note number, PC, CC, etc. Also see that (ref. manual pg. 63) each track can be set for internal (FA sounds), external (MIDI)or BOTH.

So based on this, my reading is that each part/track can transmit its own MIDI data with each part having its own settings including MIDI channel,note program, CC data, etc. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Also note in the MIDI Implementation Guide on page 9 regarding MIDI channel and program TX:

n = MIDI channel number: 0H - FH (ch.1 - 16)

pp = Program number: 00H - 7FH (prog.1 - prog.128)

* These messages are transmitted when Tone, Drum Kit or Studio Set is selected.

* But not transmitted when Transmit Program Change parameter (SYSTEM SETUP: MIDI)is OFF.

Regards, C

Hi, thanks for the info. I skipped the sequencer part because I use a computer DAW.

So a "part" in "studio set multi" functions also as "keyboard zone"? Then you would have up to 16 parts (zones), each having essential midi parameters available. That would indeed be good news.

It would be good to have some tutorials about FA combined with outside DAW or midi modules. For instance: do you have to record in FA sequencer in order to transmit same midi data out? Are the midi filters (Microscope etc) only "after the fact"?

You are correct that Parts can also be set up into zones for multiple splits and also for cross-fading between multiple layers across the keyboard.

Also note that MIDI data is sent out when a tone, drum kit or studio set is selected. From the FA MIDI Implementation Guide Page 7:

"Control Change

* By selecting a controller number that corresponds to the setting of parameters of controllers (knobs, etc.), the FA-06/08 can transmit any control change message."

Also Bank Select:

"Bank Select (Controller number 0, 32) Status 2nd byte 3rd byte

BnH 00H mmH

BnH 20H llH

n = MIDI channel number: 0H - FH (ch.1 - 16)

mm, ll = Bank number: 00 00H - 7F 7FH (bank.1 - bank.16384)

* These messages are transmitted when Tone, Drum Kit or Studio Set is selected. But not transmitted when Transmit Program Change (SYSTEM SETUP: MIDI) or Transmit Bank Select parameter (SYSTEM SETUP: MIDI) is OFF.

* Although with the FA-06/08 you can select the Bank Select messages to be transmitted, be sure to refer to the Program Change Map on Sound List for the Bank Select messages transmitted when the FA-06/08 is select a Tone, Drum Kit or

Studio Set."

Per the FA Reference manual (pg. 44) the MIDI RX Filters determine which MIDI data is received (active) in each part (1-16) and this should concurrently be true for the associated MIDI track (1-16). Sequencer Microscope editing can change/insert MIDI data after the track is recorded. The specific Part MIDI filters are listed in the Parameter Guide (pg. 13)and include PC, BS, PB, Mod, Hold, Pressure, Pan, Expression and Volume control filters.

So not only can we send Part MIDI data/CCs for internal, external or BOTH sounds, but we can filter this data on per part/track basis. :thu:

Regards, C

He said teh PIANOS don't compare on the M3. I'm not sure I would disagree either, even though the M3 is a badass synth.

From my FA-08 quick audition, I would say the FA SN Acoutic Piano is as good as or better than the Expanded M3 piano (which happens to my current favorite in my studio). Eldar happens to like the M3 Piano too:

@jazzmammal

Of course it's all subjective, but IMO and I think in many (not all) others' opinions the stock and EX pianos are not going to wow anyone. I actually bought the "Signature piano" for my M3 and I like it much better than the EX.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my M3 for just about EVERYTHING else. And with the Radias Expansion, it's dynamite! You also can't beat the semiweighted action of the 61 and 73. I would probably never part with it because I know I'd miss it

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

That's it and I've loved the Korg semiweighted action for years which is why I might get a used M3 73 rather than a new FA06 yet that FA is looking sweet too. Decisions, decisions...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Of course I had crappy monitoring all evening. I'll dig into the 06 more as soon as I can. It took me about an hour to get into the keyboard, it's rather shallow and doesn't have the kind of travel I'm used to from my PC3 and Kronos. There is an amazing amount of sounds on board, we played 2 x 60 minutes and did everything from 80s pop to Elvis. The FA06 sounded great as far as I could tell. I wish I had the time to find the master compressor, but as far as I could tell I balanced the sounds pretty well. I think I'm going to use this board a LOT. :)

Just brought the 08 home, floor model, will take receipt of a new unit when shipped,

I want use this board as an AP primary board at home AND a bottom board for gigging out ocassionally along with top Kurz PC361.

The decay of the 1st preset piano is what I focus on when demoing/deciding on a keyboard for my purpose. Obviously, the designers and programmers are going to put their best "foot forward". And this should be a representation of the AP capabilities of the board.

This FA08 had me at "hello" with the 1st preset.

. Although It definetely needed some 100- 300 hz. boost, at least thru my KRK monitors.

There was a natural decay of at least 12 seconds until fade out. Very responsive and dynamic.

The action is very good, what I expected, having playing the Rd 700NX at church.

I was very Impressed with the guitar presets. Roland really stepped it up!

In the strings dept. I think Yamaha still has that "sound" that really makes it.

Going to start reading the manual.....

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

In the strings dept. I think Yamaha still has that "sound" that really makes it.

That's funny because I have the Integra-7 and think the ensemble strings are excellent. You can hear the bow in the attack, reminds me of the VSL strings. There is good separation of the strings sections. In contrast, the Yamaha strings have, IMO, poor attack and you can't discern the sections. It strikes me much more as a pad than a recreation of a string ensemble. The SN strings respond nicely to dynamics, changing attack characteristics. Note this from the manual: "the attack and release will be adjusted appropriately for the speed at which you play the phrase. For example, notes will sound more crisply for rapidly played passages."

Also notice when you play very softly this is really no vibrato. As you increase intensity, so does the vibrato. You might want to set velocity curve type to 1 in order to exaggerate this a bit. Favorites for me are StringSection2, SlowStrings and the Marcato.

Busch.

For solo or quartet strings. yamha is strong. For large ensemble sounds not as strong.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Sweetwater called and my FA-06 is shipping. I was supposed to be on the list for one of the units from the 2nd shipment. 1st shipment was scheduled for April.

I hope it isn't buggy. I hate buying brand new 1st run items. I broke every one of my keyboard buying rules on this deal.

I couldn't wait any longer and ordered an FA-08 today. My rep said they expect them around April 3rd.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I broke every one of my keyboard buying rules on this deal.

I have zero need for an FA-06, but still kinda want one anyway. :)

I don't know you, so I have no idea if you'll be disappointed or not. Just keep in mind that these are not $2,500 workstations. I have only seen the FA-08, but it's pretty "plasticky". But the knobs and whatnot didn't seem to be overly cheap. The good news is that all of the plastic makes these things exceptionally lightweight. If that's something you want, you'll be thrilled.

Me, I am a fan of the Roland SuperNatural sounds, and lots of the PCM ones as well. While I do all my sequencing with my computer, I am very interested to hear "real world" reviews about the sequencer in the FA, and if it is as user-friendly as it is supposed to be.

Self-contained workstations DO have a certain attraction for me, but the somewhat obtuse design of the ones in the original Motif and MOX always turned me off on the idea. One that was easy to use - and even FUN to work with - might be an interesting idea for me to embrace.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I need a live sample player and sequencer and could use a 2nd keyboard. I have a couple tunes where I am 1 zone short and running a bunch of triple splits on the S90XS and could use another keyboard. The biggest thing I want is the sampler / sample player.

I should have mine either Friday or Saturday according to the Sweetwater rep.

So I'm reading the reference guide and trying to figure out if it is possible to adjust the level of separate sounds (layered on top of each other) in a studio set in real time. I see that the level of each sound (part) can be selected on the color screen one at a time and adjusted with the dial or increase/ decrease buttons but I am looking for a more real time controller type capability that, for instance, you can do on an M3 combi using the 9 sliders. Or another example would be the 8 sliders of the Motif XF8 controlling the separate parts of a "performance"

The only real time capability close to this I have read about is the ability to use the pads to switch on/ off sounds within a studio set. (Basically a mute function)

This is important in my live playing as I like to layer sounds and manipulate the mix of those sounds (usually no more than 5 to 7) in real time.

I was considering the MOXF8 for this reason also. I know it can do this with 4 sounds simultaneously but also don't know if it can be done in real time with sliders or knobs.

Did DB cover this in his review?

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73