Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

In the case of Krome and MOX, Korg and Yamaha took flagships and distilled them down to a lower price point. Roland has created a mid-ship offering without a flagship (unless you consider the Fantom, which surely contributed some of its technology). It will be interesting to see if they offer a high-end workstation soon.

Yes....with the rough economy, they are all looking for the lower priced/workstation feature set sweet spot. In regards to a new Roland flagship, they could make it with 256 note polyphony, all Integra 6000 sounds, aftertouch, full sampling/variphrase and Jupiter 80-like build quality. Only problem is that this monster keyboard will cost around $3.5K....probably more. :o

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem is that this monster keyboard will cost around $3.5K....probably more. :o

Well that would make sense. A Motif XF8 is $3,599. A Korg Kronos X 88 is $3,999 (I'm guessing they haven't sold a ton of those).

The most I ever paid for a keyboard was about $2,400, which was for my Virus TI Polar. This was about 8-9 years ago, when they first came out, and prices were lower. And the economy was booming, and I hadn't yet been laid off from the place where I'd worked for 18 years. But these days, as a "home hobbyist," about $1,300 is tops for me.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I buzzed up to the local Sam Ash store in between lunch and a meeting - I only had about 15 minutes to see the Roland FA-08.

The good news is that the FA-08 was set up right next to both the MOXF8 and Krome 88, so I could easily compare the actions. My conclusion is that the action on the FA is my clear favorite of the three. I am not a fan of weighted actions on synths - especially bad weighted actions - but the FA-08 definitely has the one that would be the most playable for me.

The "ivory feel" of the keys on the FA is very nice. It's a bit of a textured feel, as opposed to simple, smooth plastic. I liked it.

Concerning the looks of the FA, it is about what I expected. I agree with others, however, that the shiny surface around all of the controls is a questionable design choice. Given that this is where you'll be putting your finger tips all the time, why have a background surface that is prone to smudging, and that will need cleaning and wiping all the time? And it's not as though the shiny surface looks astounding or anything - they just should have left it with some kind of matte finish, or something that wouldn't show fingerprints and whatnot.

Regardless, this is a very gig-able keyboard. While plastic, everything seemed reasonably well made and put together. The FA comes across as inexpensive, but not necessarily cheap.

But most importantly, how did the FA sound compared to the MOX and the Krome? Well, based upon my visit to Sam Ash today, I can't tell you, because NONE OF THE KEYBOARDS WERE PLUGGED INTO ANY KIND OF AMPS OR SPEAKERS. I was too rushed to try and snag cables from somewhere else to get them hooked up, so I just left.

There's no wonder why stores like this are going out of business...

Michael

the FA-08 was set up right next to both the MOXF8 and Krome 88, so I could easily compare the actions. My conclusion is that the action on the FA is my clear favorite of the three. I am not a fan of weighted actions on synths - especially bad weighted actions - but the FA-08 definitely has the one that would be the most playable for me.

So was your assessment specifically that the FA was the weighted action you'd find most playable for an all-around synth? That is, it might not have been your choice if you were looking at them simply from the perspective of piano playing?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been reading the manual..

It seems that FA can transmit MIDI only on one channel at the time. The 'keyboard split' is only for inner voices. You cannot change midi parameters (eg. MIDI channel or controller functions) separately by keyboard zone. Think for instance disabling hold pedal for only lower split. Not possible.

Even D50 (over 20 years ago) could do these basic functions.

So was your assessment specifically that the FA was the weighted action you'd find most playable for an all-around synth? That is, it might not have been your choice if you were looking at them simply from the perspective of piano playing?

I guess it was from the perspective of piano playing. I was playing Beethoven, Bach, and playing fast solos and riffs. For me, it's largely about speed. Inexpensive weighted keyboards can seem very mushy to me.

But despite the feel, I should remember that all three keyboards were unplugged, and I wasn't playing with audible feedback.

Michael

It seems that FA can transmit MIDI only on one channel at the time. The 'keyboard split' is only for inner voices. You cannot change midi parameters (eg. MIDI channel or controller functions) separately by keyboard zone. Think for instance disabling hold pedal for only lower split. Not possible.

That would be a shame, sending on more than one midi channel seems mandatory for a workstation. A friend of mine does beta testing for Roland, and he had an FA08 over the weekend. He didn't try any midi, but confirms that you can change midi response in each program, on tone level. That would be a PITA but still a doable workaround. Thanks for the heads-up..!

I think that would be fine for me.

In my case I don't even think I will play the FA-06 much It will be more of a slave to the S90. My plans for the FA is more as a sample player and sequencer and to play the ocassional part where 88 keys and 4 zones won't quite get it done.

The S90XS is friggin doing everything I need right now except sampling and synth sequences.

I'm hoping the Roland sequencer is simple to operate. Every once in a while I want to use the vocoder on the S90. Everytime I have to check the manual on how to turn the damn thing on.

There should be a button that says Vocoder On/Off and a simple way to select the zones...... But no it is a convoluted bullshit process burried inside the effects editor.

Sorry for the OT Yammy rant. I still love my S90.

I'm worried about the FA-06 action and whether to pre-order......... eff it, Tony says it is playable that is good enough, I will rarely use the keyboard anyway. I'm doing it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I spent the majority of my time on the FA08, and I thought the action was good.

The FA06 I spent about 20 minutes on, and if it had a June Di keybed, it would have been 20 seconds. I think you'll be fine!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

CEB, just set up a patch that has the vocoder already programmed. Then you just need to remember to turn the mic input on and off. Which is hard in it's own right lol.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Just got the new Keyboard in the mail today with (finally!) their review of the MOXF, it was very complimentary ('Key Buy award' for what that's worth) and the writer really praised the keyboard action and feel, and the size, breadth and quality of the soundset. When I was shopping a few months ago it was the lousy action of the Krome 88 that drove me to the MOXF8 and then I only discovered a lot of the other great things about it after I picked one up. The lack of aftertouch and of an aux out for click tracks, are very noticeable compromises but for the price and quality and some of the other features, notably its very flexible master controller functionality, it's still a great deal for me and a solution I'm very happy with. But anyway it sounds like if I had been in the market a few months later the FA-08 would have given the Yamaha a run for its money, but the limitations you guys are mentioning as a multitimbral MIDI master controller I think probably would have been turned me away from it.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Just got the new Keyboard in the mail today with (finally!) their review of the MOXF, it was very complimentary ('Key Buy award' for what that's worth) and the writer really praised the keyboard action and feel, and the size, breadth and quality of the soundset.

The writer would be Eric Lawson aka eric on the forum.

Thanks for tipping me off to that! Just skimmed the article quick on my way out the door this morning.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

All my Mics are lo impediance XLR mics. What would be a good mic for vocal sampling?

Thanks. I need more sleep. I have a mixer and vocal processors and a bunch of crap in my practice room. I will send a mixer feed to the FA.

PS - The deal is done. FA-06, case, sustain and expression pedal should be here in mid April. I will be interested in how the Moog Expression pedal works.

I'm not sure this is correct. For what you want, I think you'll want to use Multi-part and Sequencer set-up screens. :snax:

First, please keep in mind that the Studio Set Multi-Parts (1-16) equate to Sequencer tracks (1-16). The diagram on page 10 of the ref. manual shows this relationship.

The reference manual (pg 68) shows each track's data which is sent and this includes MIDI note number, PC, CC, etc. Also see that (ref. manual pg. 63) each track can be set for internal (FA sounds), external (MIDI)or BOTH.

So based on this, my reading is that each part/track can transmit its own MIDI data with each part having its own settings including MIDI channel,note program, CC data, etc. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Also note in the MIDI Implementation Guide on page 9 regarding MIDI channel and program TX:

n = MIDI channel number: 0H - FH (ch.1 - 16)

pp = Program number: 00H - 7FH (prog.1 - prog.128)

* These messages are transmitted when Tone, Drum Kit or Studio Set is selected.

* But not transmitted when Transmit Program Change parameter (SYSTEM SETUP: MIDI)is OFF.

Regards, C

I'm not sure this is correct. For what you want, I think you'll want to use Multi-part and Sequencer set-up screens. :snax:

First, please keep in mind that the Studio Set Multi-Parts (1-16) equate to Sequencer tracks (1-16). The diagram on page 10 of the ref. manual shows this relationship.

The reference manual (pg 68) shows each track's data which is sent and this includes MIDI note number, PC, CC, etc. Also see that (ref. manual pg. 63) each track can be set for internal (FA sounds), external (MIDI)or BOTH.

So based on this, my reading is that each part/track can transmit its own MIDI data with each part having its own settings including MIDI channel,note program, CC data, etc. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Also note in the MIDI Implementation Guide on page 9 regarding MIDI channel and program TX:

n = MIDI channel number: 0H - FH (ch.1 - 16)

pp = Program number: 00H - 7FH (prog.1 - prog.128)

* These messages are transmitted when Tone, Drum Kit or Studio Set is selected.

* But not transmitted when Transmit Program Change parameter (SYSTEM SETUP: MIDI)is OFF.

Regards, C

Hi, thanks for the info. I skipped the sequencer part because I use a computer DAW.

So a "part" in "studio set multi" functions also as "keyboard zone"? Then you would have up to 16 parts (zones), each having essential midi parameters available. That would indeed be good news.

It would be good to have some tutorials about FA combined with outside DAW or midi modules. For instance: do you have to record in FA sequencer in order to transmit same midi data out? Are the midi filters (Microscope etc) only "after the fact"?

Here are a couple of pics I took of the FA-08 in Sam Ash a couple of days ago.

Something to clarify (for those who have only seen photos) - In pictures, it often looks like a number of bright orange items on keyboard might be illuminated. It would be cool if they were, such as the circles around the knobs and the little spindle lines on the big knob. But they're not. Only the screen is illuminated, along with the numerical display, and the pads. Everything else is just bright orange-ish paint.

http://www.fototime.com/7024C960593423B/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/0DD47886B19CC83/large.jpg

Michael

Glad I got the 06 as a top board. The sound modify labels look like they may be hard to read in lo-light situations. Old age is a bitch.

I wish they had moved the pitch/mod lever up above the keys, to eliminate some of the width (and a bit of weight).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

above the keys would put it like the MOX/MOXF- way too high to be easy to access with a 2nd tier board over it, unless you leave a ton of space between boards. I prefer it to the left and don't mind the extra size/weight, it's not that much.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

above the keys would put it like the MOX/MOXF- way too high to be easy to access with a 2nd tier board over it, unless you leave a ton of space between boards. I prefer it to the left and don't mind the extra size/weight, it's not that much.

Yeah, no arrangement is right for everybody. But I don't know that it would have to be as high as it is on the MOX/MOXF... it might be able to be lower, closer to the keyboard, depending on how much "below the panel" space the device needs when operated, and how much clearance there is above the back of the keys. Also, how much a second tier board interferes depends on the particular second tier board. i.e. a 61-key Nord or Hammond (which are barely bigger than their 61 keys) would be less of an issue than a wider 61 or a 73/76. I do see your point, but then there are those who can't fit an 88 in their cars if it has a large extra panel to the left, or who often are tight on stage space. So this can be one more point to consider in comparing the MOXF to the FA-08 as discussed in another thread.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I saw on the first page that the sample-playback memory was limited.

I heard from my Roland rep a couple of days ago that it will play back up to 32 GB of samples if they're on an SD card.

That's pretty damn massive ... enough for me to, say, load tons of songs I want to practice along with, rather than using a mixer (since my RD-700NX doesn't have an audio input).

I haven't laid hands on the FA08 yet, but hopefully we'll have it in stock next week. Then I can compare contrast with the RD800 (which is super fine) and make a purchasing decision.

Congratulations and congratulations.

Where did you buy from? I pre-ordered, but have yet to hear boo from my Sweetwater rep.

I'm in Europe..! I talked to my local Roland reps, and they said late March or early April, but I decided to check the big internet dealers on a daily basis, and suddenly Thomann listed them. I don't know how many they recieved, but I scored one. Yay!!!

There is nothing under 2 grand new that compares to this product. I've looked. I can't find anything.

I may have been wrong... again.

ProAudioStar is still selling new Korg M3. It is more than the FA-06. ($1899 or $1709 B-stock and the guys will deal with you sometimes)

M3-88 is still $2799 new and $2430 B-stock.

What is done is done.