Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

I'm not in the market for another new keyboard now, but reading these reports I am glad that my trusty old obselete Fantom X7 seems to have most of the features that everybody seems to be getting most excited about on this new one - (very easy) sampling, trigger pads, expandability/additional sound libraries.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a local fantom x6 for $1000. I have just figured the newer sound set is worth $200.

Any decenting opinions?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Just played the FA-08 at Sam Ash.

I a/b'ed it vs. the MOXF8.

If you like the RD700 series AP you will like the FA piano. It's upfront and rich, but somewhat less expressive than the Yammie (IMHO) velocity layers? Still, I like Roland's pianos in a live setting.

The organ programs on the Roland FA-08 were much improved ( Leslie slightly improved) from the organs I am accustomed to from Roland workstations.

The strings I heard in my brief period with the FA-08 were not comparable with the Motif strings that the MOXF8 contains. From the videos of the FA-08 I had expected more.

Synth sounds were very impressive on the FA-08.

As I tried to change the chorus setting on the 6 nob sound design section I noticed that it was not working correctly, or at least not working in real time? Not sure if the D-beam (which is Right next to this section so a person tweaking this left handed would trigger this unless turned off ) was interfering as my hand might be triggering the modulation. I'm sure that this could be reprogrammed to avoid this interaction.

The action is good. It reminded me of the RD700 series. It has the "ivory feel" on the keys but it was actually a bit lighter "ivory roughness" on the keys vs. the RD700NX, which is a good thing.

This was my first feel for this board. At first feel, I liked it, but I was expecting to like it .

I tried to go into the menus to see how deep editing was available but did not see much more depth than a stage piano, (Ipad interface is possible?) but would like to test out layering multiple sounds (live sets) at my next visit.___as well as the sequencer.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I have not played the VR-09 so I can't comment on how the FA-08 organs sound vs. the VR-09. Maybe a VR-09 owner could comment. In general, I liked the organs on the FA.

I thought the action on the MOXF was a bit lighter than the FA-08. The FA-08 was definitely more piano like.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Do you think the the fa organ programs are better than the vr09 organs?

From looking at the manuals, the organ implementations are somewhat different. The rotary effect options are different (VR has Rotary 1 and Rotary 2 plus a Twin Rotary MFX option; FA has Rotary 1, Rotary 2 which is specifically the VK7 version, and Rotary 3 which has overdrive, and there is no twin rotary option.) The FA has a percussion recharge time setting, the VR doesn't. Perhaps a deal-killer for some people, unless I missed something, the FA does not have C/V. I guess that's one way to eliminate the problem of people complaining on the VR that the percussion goes through the CV. ;-) The FA also does not appear to have the VR's transistor organ emulation.

Getting back to the FA/MOXF comparison overall, I would find the FA-06 vs MOXF6 a more tempting comparison. Personally, the 4 pound difference between the FA-08 and MOXF8 would "heavily" sway me toward the Yamaha, if I could get what I needed out of either. 4 lbs may not sound like a lot, but the Yamaha is right on the cusp of what I find manageable. The FA-08 gets to be more in the VR-700, SV-1, Nord Stage 2-76 weight class, which to me is enough to say "this is a bit more than I want to deal with," especially for a board where so much of its appeal is portability to begin with.

As an aside, if you're for a board at that price, if portability doesn't happen to be a factor for someone, I'd also take a good look at the Kurzweil PC3LE8 at the same price. It is similarly a combination of rompler, clonewheel, and VA synth. I think it probably has the better action overall, plus it has aftertouch. And for those who are resigned to playing organ from a weighted action, I think its action is probably the more playable for organ as well. I think it probably also has the better organ overall, even if for no other reason than having CV and being able to use its knobs for real-time "drawbar" adjustment. I think the "patch remain" function on the Kurz is stronger (the FA appears to only have it within your specified sets of 16 sounds in a Studio Set), and while the Kurz has fewer total effects (10), they can be ganged up on individual sounds. I think the Kurz is probably stronger as a MIDI controller. The Roland clearly has areas where it is stronger, though, including weight, sampling (though both have pads), interface, the sub out, and polyphony. Sound is subjective, but possibly outside of the handful of SuperNatural sounds, I tend to prefer Kurz sounds over Roland And even within the SN tones that they selected for the FA, I would still prefer some of the Kurz sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There is nothing under 2 grand new that compares to this product. I've looked. I can't find anything.

That is why the action and build worry me.

There is nothing under 2 grand new that compares to this product. I've looked. I can't find anything.

Isn't the MOXF under $2k? And you don't think it compares, really?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I too played the FA-08 yesterday at Sam Ash. It's a slick, attractive board up close. Build quality seemed no different than other current workstations or stage pianos, i.e., PX-5S, CP4, etc., with plastic sides. Roland seems to have fixed whatever it was that caused the Ivory Feel G to feel broken on the FP-4F and RD-64; I found it more enjoyable to play. Roland has also upped their EP game considerably. I played several Rhodes and Wurlis that had improved detail and character. There was one called '66 Reed(?) that I especially liked. A quick scroll through the APs confirmed that I hate them. For all the bragging about the SN technology, APs are still a weak point for Roland, IMNSHO. I didn't spend time on any other sounds. I'm sure the Clavs and synths are fine, as they usually are with Roland. I wasn't interested in the organs (especially on a hammer action), so I can't comment on them. Hope this is helpful to those who are considering the 08.

The sampler, trigger pads and 16 track sequencer.

The MOXF doesn't do what I need. The FA-06 is going to augment my S90XS. It doesn't do these thing either.

The sampler, trigger pads and 16 track sequencer.

The MOXF doesn't do what I need. The FA-06 is going to augment my S90XS. It doesn't do these thing either.

Add to that an excellent VA, fully compatible with the Integra-7. Everything on the MOXF is sample-based. The Roland has a VA, modeled B3 and SN for some of the other sounds. Sample-based synths and organs should be a last resort.

And, an excellent color screen.

Busch.

A MOXF8 and an FA06 would be a pretty killer combo, I think. The only other board I think I'd find really appealing under an FA06 would be a PX5s... lighter, cheaper, better action, smaller footprint. But the Yamaha sounds (incl. those you can add with the flash card), the ability to load custom samples, and the overall flexibility and ergonomics would favor the MOXF.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...except for the Kurzweils.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I looked at the PC3LE7. That was my first thought.

Does it sample? I didn't think it did.

...and in comparing these under 2 grand boards don't forget user-friendliness. Yamaha is notorious for being un-friendly, and after awhile I really disliked that about my XS7. The top layer was super friendly, you could navigate and do alot of common tasks pretty quickly, but get beneath the top layer and it got messy and complicated very quickly.

Roland made a big point of how they re-designed the sequencer and designed the whole board to be more user-friendly and on point for getting your musical ideas down. I think that's the appeal for alot of people to get stage pianos, they're usually super accessible and quick (but limited). Sounds like Roland is trying to bridge the gap between stage piano and workstation.

The features that are most appealing to me about the FA is the loop recording, the ability to easily make/import samples and assign them, and what appears to be a streamlined work flow. It sounds ideal for creating backing tracks, etc. I love my Stage, but it doesn't record me. Time will tell!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I called my local Sam Ash, and they also have the FA-08 in stock. None of the Chicago area Sam Ash stores have received any 06's yet. I will probably go up there this weekend and check it out.

Also, I see that as of this writing, the Sam Ash online store is indicating that they have the FA-08 in stock.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Do you think the the fa organ programs are better than the vr09 organs?

From looking at the manuals, the organ implementations are somewhat different. The rotary effect options are different (VR has Rotary 1 and Rotary 2 plus a Twin Rotary MFX option; FA has Rotary 1, Rotary 2 which is specifically the VK7 version, and Rotary 3 which has overdrive, and there is no twin rotary option.) The FA has a percussion recharge time setting, the VR doesn't. Perhaps a deal-killer for some people, unless I missed something, the FA does not have C/V. I guess that's one way to eliminate the problem of people complaining on the VR that the percussion goes through the CV. ;-) The FA also does not appear to have the VR's transistor organ emulation.

Agitato...What is your requirement for the FA Organ TW model? If I was looking for an organ as my primary instrument, I'd look at other better clone wheel alternatives than the FA...the VR-09 is a good inexpensive Organ choice. Besides Another Scott's comments above, the FA won't give you hands on drawbars/sliders and dedicated percusssion and C/V controls. All important for Organ performance.

That said, for me, I am asking how far can the FA Organ B3 model go...in other words, is it good enough for recording or basic rock gigs. I think the answer is a YES! With the FA-Pro Edit mode, you can edit the following parameters:

1) (9) harmonic draw bar levels

2) tone wheel leakage level

3) percussion level, harmonic type 2nd/3rd, attack, decay & recharge time

4) Key click attack and release level

In addition, with the FA Single or Dual Organ parts in a studio set, you can add:

1) add one IFX: 78 fully editable FX types including chorus and two Rotary types, FA or VK Rotary sim

2) add one MFX: 68 fully editable FX types including three Rotary types, FA type 1/2 and type 1 with overdrive FX.

3) Chorus or Delay

4) Reverb

So by setting up different TW organ settings in the User Tones (up to 16 within one FA User Studio Set), then using controllers/switches to adjust IFX/MFX, and finally using the PADs to select your Organ User Tones, you can cover a lot of ground for a broad range of organ applications.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Here's my FA quick and dirty 1st take - I spent one hour with the FA-08 at Sam Ash in Springfield NJ today I was very impressed. Here are a few quick hands-on observations...

1) Build and design: The lighter weight molded plastic body seems solid enough for gigging. The size and weight are a little more than needed to be because the pitch bender& switches are to the left of the keyboard. No a deal breaker for me if I was looking at an 88 weighted gigging keyboard. The action felt a little too spongy but I got used to it quickly. By comparison, I really prefer the Casio PX5s action + its textured key feel. They did not have the 06 in yet so I can't comment on it. All the controllers, switches, edit knob and pads seem solid enough to inspire confidence...you don't need to worry about sway or pushing them assertively. The overall black matte finish looks good...however the black glossy around the control and edit areas will smudge easily. Not a big deal to me...but the glossy doesn't add much to the design IMHO.

The color screen is great...very attractive and easy to see S/N instrument graphics and all Pro-Edit parameters! The controller knob section is great for real-time control...quick edits...a touch of EQ, compression or throwing in a system TFX. PADS fill out the right side and work as you'd want...easy to fire a one shot sample or turn on/off a recorded grove.

2) Sound audition: Used my AKG headphones during a live jazz ensemble performance in the store...with this environment the best I could determine was that the overall FA sound quality will be very good and on par with the JP50/Integra. I was surprised that there aren't more SN tone variations on the excellent APs, EPs and Organs. That said, with the SN Pro-Edit and quick FX, compression, tone and EQ...you can get a lot of mileage out of the preset tones that are there. For instance, on the '81 Tine tone preset, I quickly changed the MFX amp type from NEW CASE to WURLY and got a tasty retro Rhodes sound. Nice! The basic Rock C3 and B3 Jazz organ preset tones were very good...but way to few. While I'm not expecting a dedicated SK1, Mojo or Vent rotary sim on the FA, with all the room noise and listening via headphones...I couldn't make out any detailed quality judgement on the FA rotary sims. Fast speed can be turned on/off by the S1, pitch bend/mod lever or the D-beam. The bigger thing is that I did not see any Studio Set with two-manual upper/lower splits with different draw bar settings on each part for comp and lead organ splits. So we will have to roll our own.

BTW...the preset tones mix SN acoustic, SN synth and PCM synth engines as you run through the various instrument categories. You do have 60's organs...but these are PCM and there is no SN Acoustic Vox/Farfisa models on board if you care. Bottom line....the SN acoustic sounds are very limited on the FA as mentioned in the thread elsewhere. But what SN Acoustic tones there are..will definitely cover typical gig bread and butter sounds. There are a ton of SN Synth and PCM synth sounds to fill out the scorecard and add spicyness as needed. You can also fire a sample too!

Time did not permit taking a look at the ARPs, Sequencer, Rhythm Patterns and sample pad functions. That'll be for next time when I check out the 06!

Regards, C

as far as the action goes- it's not like the Krome is it? Any compares to other boards aside from it not liking it as much as the PX?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Cybersoniq, thanks for the review. I hope to get up to my local Sam Ash in the next few days to check out the FA-08 myself.

As the owner of a Jupiter-50, I am disappointed in the size of the SN Acoustic library in these FA instruments. Yes, I know that many of Roland's PCM patch library is great. But it's hard to imagine buying a state-of-the-art workstation keyboard in 2014 where the majority of sound on board are what, 10... 15.... 20 years old? The SN sounds should become Roland's "new normal", and I wish the FA boards had all of the SNA sounds that are found in the Integra.

All that being said, I am sure the FA sounds great and will provide a great alternative to the MOXF (the quintessential bread and butter keyboard these days) and the Korg Krome.

Michael

as far as the action goes- it's not like the Krome is it? Any compares to other boards aside from it not liking it as much as the PX?

They didn't have a Krome 88 on the floor. But I checked quickly and I think it felt as good as the MOXF8 action. I'd have no problem getting used to the FA-08 action. However it would not be my favorite (FWIW...I prefer my old RD250's weighted action)

Also, Cybersoniq, you make a good point about simple edits to factory presets, especially the effects.

Much commenting is done about these instruments based solely upon auditioning presets. The fact is, a few parameters, especially effects, can contribute greatly to a sound's qualities.

I had a Korg M3 for about a year, and initially really found that I did not care for it. Long story short, I ultimately realized that 90% of what I didn't like was tied to the various effects that the sound designers had attached to many of the presets. I went in and EQ'ed things to my taste, and changed a bunch of reverbs. Got rid of unwanted choruses and added some delays here and there. It took me a while, but I finally ended up with an M3 that (to me) sounded GREAT. It was also helpful that (unlike the Yamahas) you can overwrite presets on the M3 without having to save slightly tweaked patches in a User bank somewhere.

Michael

Cybersoniq, thanks for the review. I hope to get up to my local Sam Ash in the next few days to check out the FA-08 myself.

As the owner of a Jupiter-50, I am disappointed in the size of the SN Acoustic library in these FA instruments. Yes, I know that many of Roland's PCM patch library is great. But it's hard to imagine buying a state-of-the-art workstation keyboard in 2014 where the majority of sound on board are what, 10... 15.... 20 years old? The SN sounds should become Roland's "new normal", and I wish the FA boards had all of the SNA sounds that are found in the Integra.

Agreed...the rest of the Integra SN Acoustic sounds are so tempting. Somehow I think Roland is holding these sounds back for a reason....maybe a full blown workstation :taz: .

I find it interesting that Roland doesn't have a flagship workstation at the moment (Sweetwater and Musicians Friend are only selling used Fantom G8's). Surely the Jupiter 80 is their sound design flagship, but it doesn't have a sequencer.

In the case of Krome and MOX, Korg and Yamaha took flagships and distilled them down to a lower price point. Roland has created a mid-ship offering without a flagship (unless you consider the Fantom, which surely contributed some of its technology). It will be interesting to see if they offer a high-end workstation soon.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase