Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

#2 has been there since the initial introduction (@13:30):

Not really. Gareth did mention the Compressor, but the cool thing he didn't mention is that the MASTER COMP can be switched to an additional IFX. This is the point I mentioned in my post above. BTW...in the video at 13:30 Gareth is discussing the TFX (30 types including the DJ Looper) ...this is not the same as the switchable IFX (78 FX types) ;)

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed: Individual sounds or whole Integra-7 sound packs (freely downloadable from the axial website) can be imported to the FA. There is a how-to brochure in the manuals download section. Can't wait the board to arrive here...
Gear: Yamaha MO8, Roland FA-06.

Sweetwater is telling me April on this board.

I have never been so psyched over a $1200 board in my life. If the action does not suck this thing is perfect for what I want to do with the pop band. I wonder how much sampletime I can store. I can sample some of my kids' friends doing some Rap parts. LOL.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If the sampler is like the SP404SX, you can do up to 180 minutes on a single sample in stereo. Of course that depends on the size SD card.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sweetwater is telling me April on this board.

I have never been so psyched over a $1200 board in my life. If the action does not suck this thing is perfect for what I want to do with the pop band. I wonder how much sampletime I can store. I can sample some of my kids' friends doing some Rap parts. LOL.

Hey CEB I am even more behind the latest music than you are. I am glad you are excited at the prospect of this new Roland doing what you hope it will do.

Would you mind being a little more specific about how the FA will serve your music needs? I do not even get what a VA means in terms of it's category of sound ( I know it mean Virtual Analogue so I am merely guessing, it means a more stable reliable Moog more or less ! )

How does this FA dovetail nicely into the current pop music? How will you use sampler ( I have never used a sampler- I wish I knew how to put live drum loops into the pads ! ) ?

WHat is difference between the 06 and the 08, besides range of keys?

edit My assumption: your excitement is not about anything new in terms of sounds, but is more about having a larger sound palette in only 2 boards, rather than being forced to carry 3 or 4 boards!

Second edit The Integra 7 is tempting because of 6000 sounds and the 5080 libraries etc, but also the spacial surround effects it has.

1. Can any sound in Integra 7 be downloaded into FA?

2. Are those cool spacial surround effects in the Integra contained in the FA series?

Thanks a lot

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

It samples. I can really use that now. Part of what I used to do with samplers is to sample stupid stuff like applause noise, looney tunes one liners, famous movie lines.... probably will not do much of the kind of stuff with this band. But their are some some musical parts I might sample for this band. My wife suggests I get one of our kid's friends to do some of the Rap parts we need for some tunes and sample it. We'll see. I can visualize a lot of uses based on the list of songs on preliminary setlist.

It sequences and will send the click out to the monitor sends in a seperate audio output. I will sequence some off these non stop synth riffs that go all the way through some of these tunes while my hands play other parts.

It has pads I can use to trigger samples. The pads send MIDI to laptops if I want to go that route.

It is only $1200 and weighs 12 pounds. I have never been a weight weenie but I am down in the back right now and maybe it is a age thing finally. Until I got the Mini Vent last month I was still carrying a Leslie for my organ gigs. I felt like I torn my right lat yesterday. I had to lay flat for about 20 minutes. I thought I was going to pee my pants. All I did was turn wrong putting on a shirt. I have been fighting these back issues for about 3 months now. We rehearse in a basement and my Yamaha 88 key workstation is a wonderful instrument but it plus the case is heavy. The XK3c is no lightweight either but the Santana band gig is an easy load in and load out. ( ground level double doors)

To hell with the case... I kid you not.. Seeing a retired weekend warrior, airline pilot lift his CP250 without a case onto a hand truck, made me see it is doable.

Rain is an issue, but not that much of an issue.

Sorry about your back though, wait till you get my age... I must brag though.. I bought and kept for a month an 88 lb QSC 153.. the handles forced one to carefully, very carefully lift it with one hand. Sometimes heavy things force you to be very.. very... careful. You hurt yourself with your shirt entrance, right?

This retired airline captain blows my mind lifting, unaided, a CP250. And he is not big nor heavily muscled, almost no septuagenarian is! You move very carefully and mindfully!

You will be up and around soon ( back issue ) :thu: As I age I am realizing arrive earlier to move more slowly, the onerous task before me.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

It samples. I can really use that now.

It has pads I can use to trigger samples. The pads send MIDI to laptops if I want to go that route.

This. In addition to all the other cool stuff (sounds etc..) having these pads would completely simplify my rig without compromising sound.

An FA08 on bottom with my MOX61 up top and I'm set in the sound department. No more outboard sampler (like my bass players MPC) to trigger some of the sequences we need during a song.

As the years go on, it seems we are getting closer to the bigs getting back to making boards that lend themselves towards gigging for the little fish like me.

I was joking with someone the other day that I'd like Korg's GUI touch screen a la Kronos or Krome, Motif sounds as on my MOX, and the trigger pads/sampling like on the new FA06/8. All under 40 lbs, and $1600 street LOL :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

You will be up and around soon ( back issue ) :thu: As I age I am realizing arrive earlier to move more slowly, the onerous task before me.

T, I'm right there with ya. I'm always first to the gig. First off because I'm the logisitcs guy and am anal retentive about making sure everything is right, and second, so I can setup, dial in, the relax while everyone else sets up.

In fact one place, where we're regulars, I go set up at 11 am, then I can go home, relax, nap, eat dinner, get ready, then show up to play refreshed.

My biggest thing is my slowly getting back into shape. My back hurts a lot less when I'm not carrying so much of ME around.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

It samples. I can really use that now.

This. In addition to all the other cool stuff (sounds etc..) having these pads would completely simplify my rig without compromising sound.

An FA08 on bottom with my MOX61 up top and I'm set in the sound department. ///////////////////

Tee asks: So the FA08, is what, semi weighted, and you would do AP and EP on it?

How would your full sound canvas be divided among your FA and whatever your second board would be- MOX61 or whatever?

I was joking with someone the other day that I'd like Korg's GUI touch screen a la Kronos or Krome, Motif sounds as on my MOX, and the trigger pads/sampling like on the new FA06/8. All under 40 lbs, and $1600 street LOL :)

I love the Korg touch screen interface too (M3M color), but truth be told, in comparison with edits on M3 EDS/Radius sounds, I find I can get around just as fast on the Motif ES for editing its AWM2/PLG sounds. I find that with the Korg interface using index finger/nail to select parameters is not as precise as using a pointer/pen cap. So this slows things up a bit on the Korg interface...sometimes buttons are faster for certain tasks. :crazy:

In regards to the FA interface, it looks fairly straight forward for performance (modify knobs) and pro-edit screen menus for sound design and sequencing tasks. :cool:

Tee, I think you're missing the point of the samples. Every high end board has loads of great sounds, that's nothing new. It's all about the sampling pads. This thing has 16 banks using all 16 pads. From us old farts point of view we can load in all the song elements of say, Night In Tunisia with variations and then trigger them any time we want live, during a performance. Think about that. This is not playing along with a karaoke style prerecorded midi file or mp3. No, this is a regular intro, a regular verse, bridge, chorus, solo section, drum fills, guitar licks, strums, hits, horn lines, several different bass lines, all sampled ie recorded, onto those pads ready for you to hit one or two or more and create your own rearranged version of Tunisia any way you want. You've been talking about the blues lately so take one of the blues tunes and do the same with that. You could run a helluva blues jam session with this keyboard. You have every individual element of the song with many different variations mapped to those pads ready for you to do the tune in any arrangement you want.

The deal is this FA will take audio files or midi clips. You can take elements from 10 different recordings of whatever song, map them to different pads and trigger them in tempo any where you want in the song while you're playing. Or using all the gazillions of loops, midi files, software like Session Horns and create virtually anything to map to those pads and trigger them in any order, in any time to create whatever song you're doing. Or actually pull out your chops and record some of those parts yourself. Imagine that.

I think it's slicker than whale shit and I think I'll be owning one shortly.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Tee, I think you're missing the point of the samples. Every high end board has loads of great sounds, that's nothing new. It's all about the sampling pads. This thing has 16 banks using all 16 pads. From us old farts point of view we can load in all the song elements of say, Night In Tunisia with variations and then trigger them any time we want live, during a performance. Think about that. This is not playing along with a karaoke style prerecorded midi file or mp3. No, this is a regular intro, a regular verse, bridge, chorus, solo section, drum fills, guitar licks, strums, hits, horn lines, several different bass lines, all sampled ie recorded, onto those pads ready for you to hit one or two or more and create your own rearranged version of Tunisia any way you want. You've been talking about the blues lately so take one of the blues tunes and do the same with that. You could run a helluva blues jam session with this keyboard. You have every individual element of the song with many different variations mapped to those pads ready for you to do the tune in any arrangement you want.

The deal is this FA will take audio files or midi clips. You can take elements from 10 different recordings of whatever song, map them to different pads and trigger them in tempo any where you want in the song while you're playing. Or using all the gazillions of loops, midi files, software like Session Horns and create virtually anything to map to those pads and trigger them in any order, in any time to create whatever song you're doing. Or actually pull out your chops and record some of those parts yourself. Imagine that.

I think it's slicker than whale shit and I think I'll be owning one shortly.

Bob

Let me slip this one at ya... have you actually slipped on whale shite, or is this just heresay?

I am so behind with this stuff ( stuff is a word I use in lieu of a useful adjective or noun ) I have to ask embarrassing questions.

What I most wish is to get those recorded grooves in the drums onto a pad. That cannot be possible can it? I mean, other parts would "bleed" into the main sample, or am I all full of slippery stuff?

I have pretty much convinced myself to buy one. Mainly due to the pads. I have a Korg wavedrum and a Roland Handsonic. I currently use a looper pedal to create rhythm grooves. This would allow me to map variations and use them whenever I want. That and the 2000 sounds, I really like the few of the supernatural sounds I have on my VR-09 and BK sound module. This has these in spades.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Here is scenario. We have a tune with a male rap part that none of the guys can do while playing. I can do it but not while playing the Keys. I am wondering if I can sample myself or a friend of my son and trigger it in the middle sections of the tune. I have never had to Hit play during a performance in my life. What is the best way to make sure everything works in sync.

..... New thread idea!

An FA08 on bottom with my MOX61 up top and I'm set in the sound department.

David,

Thought from a previous thread the Krome was going to replace the MOX??

Just curious about your thoughts.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

What is the best way to make sure everything works in sync.

If you going to trigger even one short prerecorded part during a live performance then the only way to make sure isn'tit's all in sync is the whole band has to play to a click. That's why using clips like that with a full band is tricky, usually the drummer has to wear headphones or have a close monitor so he's playing with some sort of click. This sort of thing is great for singles or duos without a drummer. If it's possible to adjust the tempo of a clip while it's playing you might be able to do that if the tempo of the live performance is off from where your live rap was recorded at. Another possibility is to use the keyboard metronome to count off the tune and then hope the drummer can hold it.

Tee, that Dolby vid is a good example of how to do this. This has been going on for years now what makes the FA so good is it's all contained in one lightweight keyboard with all those great sounds. In the past it was those cheap controllers we've all talked about controlling software. You see pads on all kinds of controllers. Yes I know you're way behind the curve here and so am I. The reason is the vast majority of demos you find for this stuff is all kids doing EDM or rap or other things old guys like us have zero interest in so we don't bother to watch. What you have to do is watch it anyway and while you're listening to all the screeching dubstep crap think about how you can use those same pads to trigger things we do like.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Memorizing! I use a pad sampler for my Floyd band and on my spreadsheet I keep for patch changes I have a column for which sample pads I need. Eventually I don't need it anymore from the repetition.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Memorizing! I use a pad sampler for my Floyd band and on my spreadsheet I keep for patch changes I have a column for which sample pads I need. Eventually I don't need it anymore from the repetition.

Yikes!

My hat's off to you!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I'm disappointed, my SW salesman didn't call me, and I'm on the "let me know when it gets here" list.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com