Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#2923003 - 04/23/18 11:49 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: EscapeRocks]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
I can't remember the last time I bought a new keyboard at a B&M store (or even browsed a store, for that matter)... Probably sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. Just not finding anything I need at these places (mostly all DPs and "toy" boards), and I'm not near any major city for the better B&M's.

Since the late 90s (and largely due to the advent of the internet), I've been ONLY buying used flagship boards for my needs. It makes the most sense for me, as I don't like to gig new, expensive boards anyway. Used boards are cheaper, and when something goes wrong, I have a back-up while it's in repair, or I just go and buy another used board. I'm good at repairs and don't fear buying a used board without a warranty.

I know as a "bottom feeder on the market" I am not helping things... but this is how I handle my own economy in making money doing music... I can't save the whole MI industry.

KC Island
#2923327 - 04/25/18 10:52 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: synthizen2]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Just came from my local Guitar Center.

Bass section is half the size it was a year ago. They've got empty cases on part of the wall space where instruments used to hang.

Guitar section is maybe 80% of what it was.

Percussion seems down a little, but I'm not a good judge of such things.

DJ/PA stuff is all together in one area. I don't think that's down much, if any, but again I'm not the right guy to ask.

Keyboards? Mixed bag. They've got more keyboards out than the last time I was in there. They've even got a Yamaha MOXF8 and an MX88, which is a major improvement; the last time I looked, they didn't even go that high. A few Rolands, some Casios...but at least 50-60% of what they've got on the floor are Williams, and with the exception of one Roland, they're in all the most prominent spots. I had to look to find the others. The MOXF8 (at $1499, I think), was the most expensive board I saw.

Grey

#2923328 - 04/25/18 11:06 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: synthizen2]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: synthizen2

Since the late 90s (and largely due to the advent of the internet), I've been ONLY buying used flagship boards for my needs. It makes the most sense for me, as I don't like to gig new, expensive boards anyway. Used boards are cheaper, and when something goes wrong, I have a back-up while it's in repair, or I just go and buy another used board. I'm good at repairs and don't fear buying a used board without a warranty.

I know as a "bottom feeder on the market" I am not helping things... but this is how I handle my own economy in making money doing music... I can't save the whole MI industry.

I think that is a smart bang for the buck approach. Most of us know that most 1-2 yr old expensive keyboards are going to take a big hit in depreciation.

I assume you are not making a truckloads of benjamins gigging. It makes business sense
to minimize your hardware cost.

Back in the days of covered wagons, I suffered from keyboard theft and damage due to careless drunken bar owners. Losing less expensive gear is not as deep a wound as shiney new workstations .

#2923331 - 04/25/18 11:15 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: GregC]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: GregC
Originally Posted By: synthizen2

I think that is a smart bang for the buck approach. Most of us know that most 1-2 yr old expensive keyboards are going to take a big hit in depreciation.

I assume you are not making a truckloads of benjamins gigging. It makes business sense
to minimize your hardware cost.

Back in the days of covered wagons, I suffered from keyboard theft and damage due to careless drunken bar owners. Losing less expensive gear is not as deep a wound as shiney new workstations .

Yep, used flagship has been my approach. Before I switched to GC, I did the same on ebay:
Motif 6 - $600
Virus kb - $620
Then from GC:
Korg cx3 $700 (ok, not a flagship really...I had to return due to double-triggering, no muss nor fuss in doing so)
Kurz pc361 $800 (destroyed in shipping, returned to local GC)
Kurz pc361 #2 $800 smile
Roland VR700 with rolling case $850

So all 2k or above when new, these prices at the time were anywhere from 3 to 10 years after they were first introduced.

The only negative thing with the flagship boards is that they tend to be heavier, since their build quality is better smile Key action is probably my favorite thing about this "class" of keyboards.

#2923347 - 04/25/18 12:37 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: GRollins]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: GRollins
Just came from my local Guitar Center.

Me too

Quote:
Keyboards? Mixed bag.

Worthless selection in my store. Digital home pianos and cheap MIDI controllers. ==YAWN==

#2923353 - 04/25/18 01:37 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: The Real MC]
MojoGuyPan Offline

Loc: Mainland Florida
Good riddance. Guitar Center has sucked in every state I've been to. Keyboard section is a Montage, a Krome, a few lame Williams DP's and enough Roland KC's to stump a lumberjack convention.

Sam Ash was much better in the Keyboard department.

No tears shed over Bain Capital's meltdown.

#2923358 - 04/25/18 01:47 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: MojoGuyPan]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

If your Guitar Center has a Montage, then you're "ridin' high on the hog." Ours has never had one, although our locally owned store had one (may still, I've not been over there for a bit).

I've never even seen a Sam Ash that I can recall.

Some of us don't have a lot of options if we want to see a real keyboard, as opposed to a pretty picture on a screen.

Grey

#2923359 - 04/25/18 01:47 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: MojoGuyPan]
gonner Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
...enough Roland KC's to stump a lumberjack convention...

Win.

Twice over. roll

#2923373 - 04/25/18 02:28 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: gonner]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Guitar Center in Fairfax VA has a Moog System 35, Solaris, Schmidt (actually 2 but ones never plugged in due to lack of interest idk ), Oberheim 2V Pro, bunch of DSI stuff and they're expecting a Quantum beginning of May. Also just about every clonewheel made today except for the Mojo - don't want you guys to think I'm lying whistle . In the back room they have a bunch of old analog crap from way back, all set up and working. Sadly it's a bit lonely hanging out by myself for hours as no one else seems to want to go back there.

Still have yet to see a Williams DP on the floor. Yup- GC's days are numbered. puff wave HeadPop

#2923382 - 04/25/18 02:41 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Markyboard]
jimkost2002 Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Check out Rick Beato’s channel on YouTube and his thoughts on GC.
His channel is EXCELLENT all round, btw.

#2923404 - 04/25/18 05:19 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Markyboard]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
Guitar Center in Fairfax VA has a Moog System 35, Solaris, Schmidt (actually 2 but ones never plugged in due to lack of interest idk ), Oberheim 2V Pro, bunch of DSI stuff and they're expecting a Quantum beginning of May. Also just about every clonewheel made today except for the Mojo - don't want you guys to think I'm lying whistle . In the back room they have a bunch of old analog crap from way back, all set up and working. Sadly it's a bit lonely hanging out by myself for hours as no one else seems to want to go back there.

Still have yet to see a Williams DP on the floor. Yup- GC's days are numbered. puff wave HeadPop

LIAR!!!! poke cop hitt

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2923408 - 04/25/18 05:54 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Markyboard]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As a geezer I have a slight memory going back ( 2003-2004) here, when GC actually had a decent keyboard/rack selection.

What I vaguely recall, " we" were unhappy with the keyboard sales people. They had scant knowledge, were not trained , more into pushing for a quick sale, etc etc. Or had bad breath ( much worse IMO).

And the keyboard dept was not properly run. The boards were not hooked up to proper, audio, etc, etc.

Of course, there are exceptions to this time machine. I had a friend who worked at GC in SJ. He tried valiantly to make good deals, help with rig questions, midi, etc, etc.

So here we are. There is good progress with GC online and telesales. I used my $120 rewards money and ordered quality accessories. Free is wonderful.

I was motivated to 'git er done ' . Given their precarious financial condition.

Maybe we should live for today and not think too much about whats gone.
On some things.

#2923415 - 04/25/18 06:21 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: mate stubb]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

LIAR!!!! poke cop hitt

Yeah OK, ya got me. I just didn't want to have to time share the Williams with Vonner and the other local forum members.

#2923426 - 04/25/18 11:02 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Markyboard]
jeffinpghpa Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC
As much as I rag on GC, they are usually nice in big city centers. Stopped into one in Atlanta. Got to play a Native Instruments KOMPLETE KONTROL Mk2 setup, Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Grandstage + VOX Continental, and Prologue among other stuff that doesn’t make it to the floor at home in Charlotte. Plenty of Moog, Arturia, Kronos, Roland Boutiques and other stuff to touch, RD-2000, SV1, Deep Mind, Roland VR stuff. I’m not sure what more I could expect for that kind of store.

#2923441 - 04/26/18 05:11 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: The Real MC]
teashea Offline

My local GC is worthless and terrible. I rarely visit there. They have incompetent workers who act as if it is a burden to serve customers. The also act like they are on crack - or are zombies. They have few keyboards. Quite pathetic.

#2923473 - 04/26/18 08:12 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: teashea]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
As all these above posts show: it sort of reiterate sthe post I made about the quality of the pro audio/keyboard department really varies store to store.

I happened to swing by my GC last night, the one I talked about being a good one.

In addtion to what I saw last week (Grandstage, RD2000 FA6/8, Montage, Kronos) they now had a Nord Stage 3 pkugged in and ready to audition. A couple SV-1 in 88 and 73(or is it 76?).

Also, just like Jeff's Fairfax experience, they, too had a new Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Setup with an MBP running Kontakt (of course) and a Mainstage so you could see how it integrates with that.

Perhaps this is the issue. A non-cohesive plan for personnel and overall stock at all locations.

While my closest store is wonderful, with employees who have been there for eons, and know their stuff, the next closest is like walking into Bob's Bargain Barn.

The absolute best GC in the greater Dallas/Ft Worth Area is down almost next to AT&T(Cowboy's) Stadium. Huge pro keyboard room with tons of really cool high end things to play with.

#2924092 - 04/29/18 04:15 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: MojoGuyPan]
Radagast Offline

Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan

No tears shed over Bain Capital's meltdown.

We can always count on you can't we? Political and economic wisdom. We're so lucky to have you here.

Edited by Radagast (04/29/18 04:18 PM)

#2924149 - 04/29/18 10:06 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Bucktunes]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Well, from my experience, the Guitar Center in Roseville, MN had a HUGE selection of keyboards. Probably almost equal to the guitar section. laugh All four models of Nord, most of the Korg keyboards, a large selection of VA/RA synths, you name it.

The one in Oakdale, MN though... I called them (this was before I bought my Motif) to ask if they had both a Kronos and a Motif XF in the store. They did not. They only had a Kronos (IIRC), and didn't have much for keyboards at all according to the person I talked to.

The stores vary a lot, as others have said on this thread.

Now for the actual opinion: I think it will be a pain to not be able to test out keyboards side by side. Because I always like to try something before I buy it. On the other hand, they are CROOKS, at least the staff at the Roseville store around 3 years ago. We called and asked if they had a Resident Audio T4 (my audio interface) in stock, and they said yes, that they had several. They gave me all the tech details etc too. We had them place one on hold. When we got there later that day, they said that they had our hold behind the register. They said, "Here, we had only one left in stock. We have been awaiting a new shipment for some time now." They gave us a box, and wanted us to pay then and leave. We opened the box up there, and inside was a dirty floor model, very beat up. That wouldn't have been as much of an issue (we would have just waited for a new one to come in), but they started arguing that it was brand new, and wanted us to pay full price. The knobs were all scratched, and sort of bent. But NO, IT WAS BEING SOLD AS BRAND NEW AND THEY ACCUSED US OF TRYING TO CHEAT THEM. The other staff that I have talked to there have all been DINGBATS, with the exception of one amp guy.

They had three floor model Motif XF8s when I was there. Two were in pretty good shape, but the third one had lots of scratches on it and some knobs missing. Price? $400 more than the regular ones.

So as far as I am concerned, let them rot. Yes, we won't be able to try out anything much, but that was their only purpose in my mind. They make money off of uninformed people and try to push damaged goods. Oh, and their customer service department always is staffed with rude morons.

Edited by Mighty Motif Max (04/29/18 10:07 PM)

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2925744 - 05/07/18 12:12 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Benefit Concert to Save Guitar Center Features 97 Dudes Playing “Sweet Child O’ Mine”

Quote:
“With a little luck, we’ll get all 97 performers to play together as a headlining act… but not, like, together together. Not, like, in sync or anything,” said lead benefit coordinator Jenna Fin. “The goal is 97 dudes, all on stage at once, as loud as possible: preferably not even listening to each other, and definitely not in tune.”

roll

[Thanks to FKS Josh Paxton for the link]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2956812 - 11/07/18 09:37 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Joe Muscara]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Trent Reznor

#2956815 - 11/07/18 09:59 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: davedoerfler]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

Well, that's good for trying out stuff. Now all they have to do is fire half their employees and replace them with decent people.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2956818 - 11/07/18 10:39 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
I guess my buddy at GC get to keep his job a bit longer wink

He works as a guitar tech/repairman but is allowed to sell stuff (eg. synths) to me and other pals.

#2956833 - 11/07/18 12:32 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: GovernorSilver]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I have one old time buddy I grew up with - he's been there forever. A few other semi-friends i just know from music are there too. glad to hear they are stablized - i was talking to a few of them last time i was there last month, they all said it felt much better, more stable.

He gets me a discount if i ask but i don't ask often - he kicked me a "20% coupon" for my MODX7. add brick n morter tax & its only saving 12% vs an online store. Main reason i did GC was they had one in stock, my fave onliners were back ordered and waiting for more. But my last prior board, i just bought online to not bother him.

I don't want to always squeeze him, he gets asked by everyone we know. i'm blessed to have money for gear if i choose it. I don't buy alot because i don't play live that much and don't have time to become expert in all the gear if i were to buy it. what i have works great for me and I have other things my family needs more.

i would much rather he kick discounts down to true young struggling musicians who can't afford good gear otherwise.

Edited by MotiDave (11/07/18 12:33 PM)

#2956861 - 11/07/18 05:21 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mighty Motif Max
[quote=davedoerfler][url=htt

Now all they have to do is fire half their employees and replace them with decent people.

I wonder what they say about you ?

#2956867 - 11/07/18 06:38 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: GregC]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Originally Posted By: GregC
Originally Posted By: Mighty Motif Max
[quote=davedoerfler][url=htt

Now all they have to do is fire half their employees and replace them with decent people.

I wonder what they say about you ?

laugh No, nothing much I wouldn't think. See my post earlier in the thread. It's just that the "specialists" seem to be pretty clueless and I haven't been impressed by what they have tried to sell. That's about it.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

#2956872 - 11/07/18 08:06 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
As long as they survive to this weekend, I'm okay. Doing a trade / purchase in Virginia either Friday or Monday.

The above was a crass attempt at humor. GC has treated me very well the past few years, and I wish them the best.

...and I'll tell y'all what I bought after the deed is done. :-)
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2956876 - 11/07/18 08:12 PM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Tom Williams]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Moog One? Or maybe the Boog One.

Edited by Mighty Motif Max (11/07/18 08:13 PM)

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

#2956922 - 11/08/18 06:20 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
RABid Online   content
10k Club

I went to the GC in Knoxville TN 4 times after it opened.

1st time: New store. Lots of people. Lots of stock. Things were good.

2nd time: Wanted to buy a sample set. They had a locking display case with probably 100 different sample sets. All the sets had been opened. I found out that the employees were taking them home at night and copying them. I didn't buy any.

3rd time: Was passing through Knoxville on my way to Florida and wanted to buy a specific drum machine/beat box to take on vacation with me. Sitting on a balcony looking at the ocean is a great place to learn a new piece of hardware. The one on display had 3 knobs missing. Many of the keyboards were damaged. Could not get any help. Left without buying.

4th time: The regional manager of keyboard departments was there. He was very concerned that keyboards were displayed in the correct order, Motif 6 above the Motif 7 above the Motif 8, etc... Showed no concern about the condition of the keyboards or the open sample and software packs.

Never went back.

#2956927 - 11/08/18 07:00 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: RABid]
Outkaster Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I don't trust that article anyway. Guitar sales are down, all my friends that play or are in the business say the same thing. Because music is a disposable commodity less people are involved as some posts have alluded to. Every GC I go into is a ghost town most of the time and you can't tell employees from the customers most of the time.

noblevibes.com

#2956931 - 11/08/18 07:23 AM Re: The end of Guitar Center? [Re: Outkaster]
p19978 Offline

Loc: KY
I live near a smaller GC store outside Cincinnati.

Sold some boutique gear (a Kauer Banshee and Reeves Custom 30) and got excellent prices for both. Manager knew what they were and offered accordingly- I was shocked... no complaints here.

Edited by p19978 (11/08/18 07:23 AM)

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner