Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

Is this where we are going to leave this thread? HELL NO!!!! I'm excited about this board still, let's talk it up!!!

Agreed +1000.

To wet appetites...the Roland SN Synth and XV PCM Synth engines are in full force on the FA. And with the FA having full patch compatibility with the Integra 7 SN Synth engine (3 OSC paths with independent filters (LP, HP, BP + PKG), LFO, EGs for pitch, filter and amp, plus LFO mod + modifiers)...the FA can use all Integra Synth legend free tones on the Axial website. Yes its not gonna be a real Jupiter 8, but the FA will be a lot more flexible with 450 OSC waves, 512 user tones + the ability for 16 parts...wow!

Take a quick snack on the FA's Jupiter and TB303 impressions and some other tasty SN Synth bass, pads, leads and chords. :wave:

http://axial.roland.com/articles/integra-7-synth-legends/

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I overlooked but I scanned the manual and there is not much info about the two virtual expansion slots. The only thing in relation to this is on page 95 on how to import backup data. It suggests that individual tones that you downloaded from the Axial site can be imported.

Imagine the possibility to download all available Integra and SRX tones and handpick the ones that you want to import to the FA....

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

Is this where we are going to leave this thread? HELL NO!!!! I'm excited about this board still, let's talk it up!!!

The all-in-one combination - with pretty equal strengths of piano, organ, and synth tones - looks to make this great for single keyboard gigs. 88 keys at under 40 lb. is a huge plus.

While the FA-08 doesn't have all of the JP50's SN tones, it would still be an attractive alternative for the single keyboard gigs for which I'd use the JP50 - especially adding in the XV5080 tones, plus a weighted action. Will have to play one of these over the next couple of months....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Imagine the possibility to download all available Integra and SRX tones and handpick the ones that you want to import to the FA....

Roland NAMM videos mentioned that the 1st SRX expansion download should be coming soon around the EOM on the Axial website. No official word on the ability to download SN Acoustic tones...fingers x'd on SN Acoustic wave data downloading, however there are only two FA virtual slots so expansion for SN Acoustic will be limited if it happens at all...

Just out of curiosity, what are most of us thinking of getting: the FA06 or FA08? And how will you implement it into the rest of your rig?

I'm thinking the FA06. All round bread and butter, 1 gig board for smaller gigs, top tier over my RD700 for bigger ones. May replace the RD700 with a lighter 88 key'd board over time, but we'll see. Either that or get the FA-08 and MIDI it up to my Juno DI, which has the same keybed as the FA06 (I think). But then I'll have two Roland 88 key'd boards. Dunno if my little flat will have room for that!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Fa08. Right now I use a NordStage 2 88 to control a rack with modules, and an Sk1 into the VEntilator. The FA will retire the rack from gigging, and hopefully I'll be happy with the pianos and EPs/Clavs that I can just take that and the SK1. And then for more jammy gigs, the FA takes the bench while the Nord goes in, or will become the right hand of the 3 keyboard L-shaped rig.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I heard April and some vendors have a lot of pre-orders already. I noticed that MF just pushed their expected ship date back on their website. I am considering the 06. Pretty much guaranteed to buy unless Keybed action is bad. I will find a place to play one before I order. I'm in no rush but want to upgrade sounds from the fantom x. Also lighter board is a plus. I'm also hoping it will fit in that mono m80 vertigo 61 key case.

The patch remain feature is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the FA over the MOXF. With my current Kronos I'm used to putting together a custom "SetList" consisting of patches and combinations and then playing linear through each sound in the setlist (via foot pedal) seamlessly with no sound interruption. Is "Studio Set" comparable to a Korg Kronos Setlist? If so, that works for me. If that is not so, can you explain in what situations I would not have patch remain the way I am used to on the Kronos (On the Kronos it's called Smooth Sound Transition). I love the Roland sounds, but I would like to play live and transition through patches and combinations within a song with no drops between sound changes. Thanks. Hal

My Music Channel is: www.youtube.com/HalUnlimited

Korg Kronos 88

Is "Studio Set" comparable to a Korg Kronos Setlist?

Studio Set seems closest to a Korg Combi, in that they are where you could set up up to 16 sounds that can be split/layered across the board and/or assigned to different MIDI channels.

can you explain in what situations I would not have patch remain the way I am used to on the Kronos

You will have patch remain while switching from one sound to another within a Studio Set, but not when switching from one Studio Set to another.

The patch remain feature is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the FA over the MOXF.

The MOXF similarly has a function that allows you to define sets of 16 sounds, among which you can freely switch sounds without cutoffs. It's part of the Song/Pattern Mix mode.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Is "Studio Set" comparable to a Korg Kronos Setlist?

Studio Set seems closest to a Korg Combi, in that they are where you could set up up to 16 sounds that can be split/layered across the board and/or assigned to different MIDI channels.

can you explain in what situations I would not have patch remain the way I am used to on the Kronos

You will have patch remain while switching from one sound to another within a Studio Set, but not when switching from one Studio Set to another.

The patch remain feature is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the FA over the MOXF.

The MOXF similarly has a function that allows you to define sets of 16 sounds, among which you can freely switch sounds without cutoffs. It's part of the Song/Pattern Mix mode.

Is the definition of a "sound" here (each one of the 16 allowed for part of the Song/Pattern Mix mode) limited to a pure single voice/patch? Or can a "sound" consist of a multilayered combination sound too? On the FA, I want to be able to move seamlessly between pure preset or custom patches and also layered sounds (e.g. piano and pads) as I go through various variations in a song composition. Another way of saying it based on your analogy to a Korg combi, is, can I put a combi within a combi? Or do I lose the patch remain if I include combis (layered sounds) within the order of sounds that I need to go through as I play variations within a song composition? Thanks Hal

Korg Kronos 88

Is the definition of a "sound" here (each one of the 16 allowed for part of the Song/Pattern Mix mode) limited to a pure single voice/patch? Or can a "sound" consist of a multilayered combination sound too?

This is a little complicated. In this case, a "sound" -- what Yamaha calls a Voice -- can indeed consist of a multilayered combination, but not so easily. A Voice consists of up to 8 elements. Most often, it is a single instrument sound, and all of the elements are related to that same instrument sounds, i.e the sound of a given instrument when played at different velocities, or with alternate attacks, etc. But there is no reason a single Voice could not have its elements used to combine the sounds of different instruments. One of the stock single Voices for example, is the sound of layered piano and strings. However this kind of Voice editing, to come up with your own combinations, is not as straight-forward as simply selecting two stock instrument Voices and splitting or layering them. So the answer is, yes, any of the 16 "sounds" can consist of a multilayered combination, but you might not want to go down that path unless you're seriously into learning the ins and outs of programming the Yamaha on a pretty deep level.

There is an "in between" way to do this. As I mentioned, the Yamaha allows you to create sets of 16 sounds you can switch among without cutoffs, but the way it works is that you can also "link" some of these sounds (it is done by assigning them to the same MIDI channel). So it is actually pretty easy to use multi-layered combinations of sound here at the expense of additional individually selectable sounds within that set. So for example, instead of defining a set of 16 individual Voices for this seamless-switching group, it could just as well be configure as 8 pairs of split/layered Voices. Or 4 pairs of split/layered Voices plus 8 additional single Voices (12 selectable patches in total). Or one set of 3 split/layered Voices, two pairs of 2 split/layered Voices, and 5 individual Voices. Any combination that totals 16 Voices will work. (Though again, in some cases, like the piano+string example I gave, one Voice can have more than one sound, but that's something of an exception unless, again, you want to get into some pretty deep programming.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Is the definition of a "sound" here (each one of the 16 allowed for part of the Song/Pattern Mix mode) limited to a pure single voice/patch? Or can a "sound" consist of a multilayered combination sound too?

This is a little complicated. In this case, a "sound" -- what Yamaha calls a Voice -- can indeed consist of a multilayered combination, but not so easily. A Voice consists of up to 8 elements. Most often, it is a single instrument sound, and all of the elements are related to that same instrument sounds, i.e the sound of a given instrument when played at different velocities, or with alternate attacks, etc. But there is no reason a single Voice could not have its elements used to combine the sounds of different instruments. One of the stock single Voices for example, is the sound of layered piano and strings. However this kind of Voice editing, to come up with your own combinations, is not as straight-forward as simply selecting two stock instrument Voices and splitting or layering them. So the answer is, yes, any of the 16 "sounds" can consist of a multilayered combination, but you might not want to go down that path unless you're seriously into learning the ins and outs of programming the Yamaha on a pretty deep level.

There is an "in between" way to do this. As I mentioned, the Yamaha allows you to create sets of 16 sounds you can switch among without cutoffs, but the way it works is that you can also "link" some of these sounds (it is done by assigning them to the same MIDI channel). So it is actually pretty easy to use multi-layered combinations of sound here at the expense of additional individually selectable sounds within that set. So for example, instead of defining a set of 16 individual Voices for this seamless-switching group, it could just as well be configure as 8 pairs of split/layered Voices. Or 4 pairs of split/layered Voices plus 8 additional single Voices (12 selectable patches in total). Or one set of 3 split/layered Voices, two pairs of 2 split/layered Voices, and 5 individual Voices. Any combination that totals 16 Voices will work. (Though again, in some cases, like the piano+string example I gave, one Voice can have more than one sound, but that's something of an exception unless, again, you want to get into some pretty deep programming.)

Thanks much Scott for your detailed explanation. Since I have decided that I still prefer to get the FA-08 sound palette rather than the MOXF, would you phrase your answer any differently with respect to using the FA to accomplish the seamless transitions or is it identical to the MOXF explanation you just gave me?

Korg Kronos 88

Thanks much Scott for your detailed explanation. Since I have decided that I still prefer to get the FA-08 sound palette rather than the MOXF, would you phrase your answer any differently with respect to using the FA to accomplish the seamless transitions or is it identical to the MOXF explanation you just gave me?

I would phrase it differently by deferring to someone else. ;-)

[HAL /quote]On the FA, I want to be able to move seamlessly between pure preset or custom patches and also layered sounds (e.g. piano and pads) as I go through various variations in a song composition. Another way of saying it based on your analogy to a Korg combi, is, can I put a combi within a combi? Or do I lose the patch remain if I include combis (layered sounds) within the order of sounds that I need to go through as I play variations within a song composition? Thanks Hal

Based on my reading of the information in the FA manual, the FA Studio Sets Multi-Part Play Mode should be able to easily solo, layer, split and create multiple combinations of the 16 parts on the fly. Using the Pad Utility Keyboard Switch feature, with the 16 PADS, you can turn on/off parts 1-16 as desired...the 16 PADS toggle ON (blinking) and OFF (Lit) the 16 parts in the Studio Set (Preset or User tones). Along with part key range (zone) settings of the 16 tones in the Studio Set, you can define splits and layers then use the PADS to quickly switch between the parts split and layering. BTW...the Current Part is saved within the Studio Set User memory location. And as Another Scott wrote above, patch/tone remain should work AOK as long as you switch between parts within the current selected Studio Set.

See FA reference manual pages 27 and 85 for more details. Hope this helps. :wave:

FA08 for me to replace Motif ES8 as bottom, although I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd like to A>B the FA08 vs. the MOXF8 just to make sure I like the action and soundset of especially AP. I've had the Motif ES8 so long I've really grown accustomed to it's sounds and programming and I would miss that Motif sound

to some degree. I'd like to be sure the FA08 would make me even happier.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I don't really need a new workstation, but this thing has really got me considering buying it this summer after I pay off my latest purchases!

Since when has GAS ever been about need? :)

I want one as well..... There are things about this new board that incorporate many things I've wished for in a live performance workstation.

Like you, I'll have other things paid off by the time this arrives to try....oh boy... it never ends

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Thanks totally Cybersoniq and AnotherScott for your in-depth problem solution and referral to the manual page that relates to my patch remain question/issue. You've been so helpful on the forum. And, I think I'll be happy with the FA options to create my stuff, the way I need to. Hal

Korg Kronos 88

The FA Parameter Guide (Japanese version with some English) is up on the following site: http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/jp/manuals/res/63078435/FA-06_08_Parameter_j01_W.pdf

Assuming this is all based on the final FA technical parameters, there's some very good news on two topics that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

1) Individual parts can be routed to the sub-outs (manual pg 10). Excellent!

2) I didn't realize this before, but there is also an extra FX stage at the Studio Set level (pg. 16), where you can select either a Master Comp OR an IFX (with a healthy selection of 78 FX types). This is very cool :thu:

So for complex applications where two multi-FX are required (e.g. for a lush/heavily processed single or two tone split/layered part), you can go crazy within a single Studio Set with the following serial FX routing:

Part/Tone 1 MFX A -> Studio Set FX options:One Master Comp or One IFX-> One Chorus/or Delay + One Reverb -> One TFX

Part/Tone 2 MFX B-> Same Studio Set FX as Tone 1, but with separate Part 2 sends, pan, etc.

So for instance, you have a TW Organ Studio set than includes both chorus or vibrato AND distortion with selectable slow/fast rotary. BTW, there are rotary FX in both the MFX and IFX sections so you can really go nuts with twin rotary FX should you really like.

Looking forward to the all English version of the Parameter Guide. Maybe soon? :cool:

1) Individual parts can be routed to the sub-outs (manual pg 10). Excellent!

2) I didn't realize this before, but there is also an extra FX stage at the Studio Set level (pg. 16), where you can select either a Master Comp OR an IFX (with a healthy selection of 78 FX types). This is very cool :thu:

N:o 1 seals the deal for me. Awesome!!!

N:o 2 is something I heard they were working on. Good to see a user request from the Integra owners implemented..!

My GAS is full on now. I have the $$ set aside from some gear sales and I sold a project motorcycle as well. I'll be an early adopter and find all the bugs I guess!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com