Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

Thanks for that Dave. I figured as much. Seems the Studio Set is pretty much the same as the Fantom G's Studio Mode, which couldn't be switched either, but parts within it could be. The Fantom's Live Mode made the 61 key version workable for pretty much anything, so it's a shame to lose that.

BTW I do like the inclusion of a KBD switch on the pads though, that is a good move. We have to create RPS phrases to do that on the Fantom G. It could select parts, but not turn keyboard switches on and off which will be brilliant for quickly layering loads of sounds and bringing things in and out.

Can you see anywhere to control external MIDI gear from the Studio Set? On the Fantom G there is a whopping great big page called "External" where external gear control (keyboard parts, ranges, channels, Prog Messages etc) can be set up.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you see anywhere to control external MIDI gear from the Studio Set? On the Fantom G there is a whopping great big page called "External" where external gear control (keyboard parts, ranges, channels, Prog Messages etc) can be set up.

If there is such a page, I don't see it. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

dB

OK, thanks! Maybe it's ended up in this DAW control stuff

I sit here typing this as I'm composing a tune on my fantom G6, using its sequencer a scratch pad, JP-8000 midi'd up works like a charm! LOL.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

From the manual:

"SUB OUTPUT jack

Sounds such as the metronome or a specific part can be specified for individual output."

(emphasis mine) - so maybe it will be possible to send one part of a studio set (or dual play or split play) to this output, i.e. to send bass guitar to a bass amp or to send tonewheel organ to a Vent/Burn. There's no Parameter Guide yet, where we might be able to confirm.

Dave, if you still have the unit, is it possible for you to determine whether this is possible?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dave, a couple of other things I'm curious about, which cannot be discerned from the manual so far, in regards to the organ...

Does the FA include the amp simulations of the VK8/VR700?

Does the FA include the "twin rotary" effect that was added in the VR-09?

As expected, the MIDI docs show no reference to being able to control drawbar settings (harmonic bars, as Roland calls them) via MIDI CC. Hopefully it will work over sysex the way it can on the Integra.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is good info, thanks for posting it! Things are looking up!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Oh well ;-)

One more thing I'd be curious to find out, if you happened to have noticed this in your eval... we know it has tweakable parameters for drawbar settings... is this strictly for Hammond-style tonewheel emulation? Or, like the VR, are there comparable adjustments for transistor organ sounds?

From the manual:

"SUB OUTPUT jack

Sounds such as the metronome or a specific part can be specified for individual output."

(emphasis mine) - so maybe it will be possible to send one part of a studio set (or dual play or split play) to this output, i.e. to send bass guitar to a bass amp or to send tonewheel organ to a Vent/Burn. There's no Parameter Guide yet, where we might be able to confirm.

Dave, if you still have the unit, is it possible for you to determine whether this is possible?

No, I verified that with the rep at NAMM. Metronome, and samples only can be routed to the sub output jack. I asked immediately as I figured routing the organ to the sub out could then go to the Ventilator, etc.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

From the manual:

"SUB OUTPUT jack

No, I verified that with the rep at NAMM. Metronome, and samples only can be routed to the sub output jack. I asked immediately as I figured routing the organ to the sub out could then go to the Ventilator, etc.

Hoping the manual is correct on this question...the ability to select/route a desired part to the sub-out jack would be lots better.

dB

Per page 63 in the reference manual, in the sequencer screen you have to go to Song Utility (button #3) and then select Track Settings to define which tracks are Internal, External or both.

From the manual:

"SUB OUTPUT jack

Hoping the manual is correct on this question...the ability to select/route a desired part to the sub-out jack would be lots better.

I agree. And I guess I can't hold the rep to a higher standard, but it wouldn't be the first time a manual was wrong, or a rep.

Either way, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

FWIW, the routing of individual parts to the sub-output is mentioned at least twice in the reference manual. On page 44 it reviews the Part View screen parameters which includes the Output/EFX parameter where you can specify each parts output destination, and the level of signal that is sent to chorus and reverb. Details of the Part View parameters will be in the forthcoming FA Parameter Guide.

Fingers crossed 2 :cool:

One more thing I'd be curious to find out, if you happened to have noticed this in your eval... we know it has tweakable parameters for drawbar settings... is this strictly for Hammond-style tonewheel emulation? Or, like the VR, are there comparable adjustments for transistor organ sounds?

I did not notice.

Per page 63 in the reference manual, in the sequencer screen you have to go to Song Utility (button #3) and then select Track Settings to define which tracks are Internal, External or both.

Yes, I found that one, per the earlier posts...but that's in Sequencer mode. Not sure if it applies to Studio Sets outside Sequencer mode - the Studio Set mode has separate edit pages which did not seem to have anything like that.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yes, I found that one, per the earlier posts...but that's in Sequencer mode. Not sure if it applies to Studio Sets outside Sequencer mode - the Studio Set mode has separate edit pages which did not seem to have anything like that.

dB

I think Studio Sets (inherited from the Integra 7) are related to and/or define the Sequencer Mode 16 Parts (referred to as Multi Part Play). From the reference manual (pg.26), here's the overview which covers the relationships:

"A studio set contains 16 parts, with one tone assigned to each part.

Normally, youll play the tone thats assigned to part one (single play). When using the sequencer to create a song, youll use all 16 parts of the studio set (multi part play)."

Combination/Multi-Part functions/parameters are set on the Studio Set Screens (and sub menus), which then defines parts 1-16 in the Sequencer Screen (when you select a preset or user Studio Set in the Sequencer Screen). From there you set other Sequencer options including internal/external MIDI playback in the Sequencer screen sub menus).

Sort of like Yammy's Mixing/Song Modes and Korg's Combis where you can apply combi settings to the Song Mode. That's my 2 pesos.

P.S. On the FA Sequencer Micro Editing screen (manual pg. 68), you can also insert, move and erase MIDI note, program number and control change data. Very nice :)

My quick run through the manual (briefly) didn't reveal much.

Busch.

The manual seems pretty basic on details was hoping for more defined information, unless there is another manual with more detail to be release (parameter guide maybe?)

Glad to see the sequencer can do a lot of what the Fantom G one can in terms of ext parts and editing. Hoping the external MIDI control is also there hidden somewhere. Those are two major areas I want to see retained from the Fantom G.

FWIW, the routing of individual parts to the sub-output is mentioned at least twice in the reference manual. On page 44 it reviews the Part View screen parameters which includes the Output/EFX parameter where you can specify each parts output destination, and the level of signal that is sent to chorus and reverb. Details of the Part View parameters will be in the forthcoming FA Parameter Guide.

Fingers crossed 2 :cool:

Same here... If you can route any sound to the sub out, I'm getting one, otherwise, not. For my trio, I need bass on a sub out and for bigger gigs I need a lightweight board where you can route organ patches to my Vent.

just looking at the voice lists, I'm so ready for this board!

Looks like the pads can't be used to change programs, only to change banks for the sampler, but reading about the favorites where you can have 10 banks of 10 sounds, that's not so bad for changing setups live. Hit bank, pick the bank #, hit bank to turn bank select off, hit your program number. 4 keystrokes, unless once you hit bank it automagically goes to program mode, then it's 3 keystrokes. Either way I can live with that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Looks like the pads can't be used to change programs, only to change banks for the sampler, but reading about the favorites where you can have 10 banks of 10 sounds, that's not so bad for changing setups live. Hit bank, pick the bank #, hit bank to turn bank select off, hit your program number. 4 keystrokes, unless once you hit bank it automagically goes to program mode, then it's 3 keystrokes. Either way I can live with that.

In one of the videos, they said that the pads can function as a 10-key numeric entry keypad, so maybe that provides some other means of patch selection.

My biggest workstation interest in this keyboard is to be able to easily, without a lot of fuss and technical hassle, record audio and MIDI, and at the very least overdub, and ideally, multi-track. From looking at the manual, I'm guessing this is somewhat possible: sample the incoming audio, and then place markers in the sequencer.

? Will I be able to just listen to the sequenced track and sample just the audio, not the internal sounds?

I'll bet nobody knows this yet

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

My biggest workstation interest in this keyboard is to be able to easily, without a lot of fuss and technical hassle, record audio and MIDI, and at the very least overdub, and ideally, multi-track. From looking at the manual, I'm guessing this is somewhat possible: sample the incoming audio, and then place markers in the sequencer.

? Will I be able to just listen to the sequenced track and sample just the audio, not the internal sounds?

I'll bet nobody knows this yet

As far as I've noticed, the sequencer only records data, no audio (opossite to the JUNO-Gi)- However, it is possible to record audio samples through the jack - mic imputs. Also the the sequenced songs can be exported to audio files (wav, mp3, etc)

Gear: Yamaha MO8, Roland FA-06.

Hey,

Great forum...replete with useful info I have not come across anywhere else on the FA-series.

Interestingly enough though,everyone in this thread has somehow overlooked the fact that after-touch can be implemented via an expression pedal.

I am very pleased to read that the FA-06 at least has a key-bed that is playable,because for me,88 keys are generally too heavy for me and more keys than I need.

I prefer 76 or 73 keys...but as long as the action is decent,61 keys suits me fine in most situations.

Someone in this thread asked about whether or not the FA has a copy & paste feature and this question has been left unanswered.

This is a very important feature for me and if this function has been omitted from the FA,then my suspicion of the FA being too good to be true,is sadly,a reality.

The FA has been advertised as being a full workstation,but without a copy & paste feature,it's not a workstation in my book.