Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

Thanks for the update Tony.

So much for Roland's product focus for the FA series workstation, "...reimagines the music workstation...effortless real-time power, ultra-fast workflow, and maximum versatility."

With the lack of external MIDI program change capability, the FA series has neither effortless power, ultra-fast workflow nor maximum flexibility. With no MIDI PC TX, how would you integrate the FA 16 track MIDI sequencer with external sounds in your existing gear or with the Roland Integra's 6000+ tones?????

REALLY BIG OOOPS Mr. Product Manager :o

Song Mode: No midi transmission of program or bank changes to external gear at this time. The rep has asked for it in an OS update, but as of now, you cant do it.

SRX expansion releases: Actually, the first 3 expansion boards will be released monthly in this order; SRX-05 Platinum Trax, SRX-07 Ultimate Keys, SRX-09 World Collection. The rest of the SRX expansion boards will follow every month as well.

What will go in the expansion slots: From what I (the rep) understand, the SRX expansion board collections will go in these slots, as well as other sound collections that will also be available from www.axial.roland.com .

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

direct from the site:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1299/457

Tweak tones, effects, and external MIDI devices in real time with six user-assignable Sound Modify knobs

If that is only in voice mode, fail. I can't see something like this being omitted.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

direct from the site:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1299/457

Tweak tones, effects, and external MIDI devices in real time with six user-assignable Sound Modify knobs

If that is only in voice mode, fail. I can't see something like this being omitted.

Looks like the external MIDI device reference is tied in to DAW / software instrument use - somewhat like the Yamaha MX 49/61. Seems that Roland is hinting at the 'Sound Modify' knobs being used with the 'learn' function of software instruments. Live, 'controller' use appears to single, external instrument - via MIDI - in 'voice' mode. Think D50, not D70; or VR-700, not Fantom G.

Unless the OS update that Tony mentioned happens, the FA series looks to be more of a self-contained system - with some DAW control capabilities - than an instrument with comprehensive external controller features. And updating Song mode to include 16-zone, full external control is a major OS feature upgrade; I wonder if it'll happen.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Unless the OS update that Tony mentioned happens, the FA series looks to be more of a self-contained system - with some DAW control capabilities - than an instrument with comprehensive external controller features.

Yeah, this. And it's pretty well self-contained.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Looks like the external MIDI device reference is tied in to DAW / software instrument use - somewhat like the Yamaha MX 49/61.

Seems like that could be a good analogy. I'd still find it a bit surprising if you could not store so much as a single external program change command in some kind of preset (as mentioned, even the VR-09 can do that)... even if for no other reason than it makes it harder to entertain the possibility of building on the FA by adding an Integra-7, which is an idea Roland might like to support. But then, what would a new Roland product be without at least one WTF head-scratcher. But assuming that it at least transmits MIDI note-on/note-off in its performance mode, you could use an iPad to split/layer additional external sounds, with whatever program changes you want to send.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Maybe I need to reread the posts.. ;)

I really want my main board (88) to be able to be a master that sends prog change to other boards or external gear.

I could be misreading what you all are saying here...which wouldn't be the first time.....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I believe we are talking about the sequencer not sending bank and program changes.

LOL see? this is what happens when I get taken to the last page of a new to me thread and start reading from there :)

Carry on...I'm going back to la la land

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

+1 AS.

I think the potential value of integrating the FA with an Integra-7 overcomes some of the FA weaknesses that include exclusion of many important SN Acoustic sounds and 128 voice limit (also a potential weakness in the Integra). This is why I am optimistic that Roland will enable FA 16 MIDI Sequencing with MIDI TX Program Change capability. Fingers crossed.

I'd still find it a bit surprising if you could not store so much as a single external program change command in some kind of preset (as mentioned, even the VR-09 can do that)... even if for no other reason than it makes it harder to entertain the possibility of building on the FA by adding an Integra-7, which is an idea Roland might like to support. mode, you could use an iPad to split/layer additional external sounds, with whatever program changes you want to send.

Unless the OS update that Tony mentioned happens, the FA series looks to be more of a self-contained system - with some DAW control capabilities - than an instrument with comprehensive external controller features.

I agree.

And the approach isn't really even surprising... the limitations even in the VR-09 and VR-700 have often been congruent with the idea that everything you're going to want is in the board, those boards are not very flexible in how they relate outside their own environment, that does seem to be part of Roland's philosophy in some of their designs. An issue I had with both the VRs is that MIDI functionality is limited, and also that you can't pan sounds so they can be routed/processed separately externally, and all of that is consistent with the idea of, "Why should you want to? This gives you everything you need, internally."

But even those boards provided some MIDI Program Change function,... quite limited by most standards, but it seems more than what's in the FA. It would just be nice to be able to easily integrate something external, should you ever want to. An example I've used with the VR-09 is that you can set it up so that when you configure presets, you could set them up to engage or disengage a Burn via MIDI, depending on whether or not you're using an organ sound. But Roland might say, "why would you want to? we give you a great rotary sim!"

If you wanted to add some sound that was weak in the FA, let's say a strong mellotron sound, it would be nice to be able to integrate it into a performance by tapping into your iPad for example, without having to also configure your system to actually have to then do your patch selection from the iPad instead of using the nice system in the FA. But again, it seems like Roland wants to say that all the sounds you might need, you'll find inside.

I think what makes it a bit surprising in the FA is that (a) I can't think of any other workstation that doesn't lend itself to combining internal and external sounds if desired, and (b) the comparably priced competitors do have the function (MOXF, Krome, PC3LE). Not that every board of a certain price should be expected to have every feature of every other board at its price, there are cost trade-offs, and companies have different design priorities. But it is hard to see how this omission could have been a cost saver, or how adding it would have been a significant operational complication. (I do appreciate what appears to be a general emphasis on simplicity.)

All that said... The FA still looks great, and I'm not sure the feature's absence will cost them a lot of sales. But... it would have been nice. And it gives me another reason to say that personally I'd be happier with the MOXF. It would be nice if Yamaha made similar efforts towards updating their interface and ergonomics.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

+1 AS.

I think the potential value of integrating the FA with an Integra-7 overcomes some of the FA weaknesses that include exclusion of many important SN Acoustic sounds and 128 voice limit (also a potential weakness in the Integra).

Yes... and also you'd be able to load a total of 6 SRX cards worth of sounds instead of 2. The combination gets a little pricey, but the system would be very capable and very portable, if there were a way to integrate the internal and external sounds from the FA itself.

Exactly. For a lot of playing situations, this keyboard will cover the bases well on its own.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

Why does the FA have 16 MIDI tracks then? Seems like a missed opportunity if the only intent is to save your sequencer sketches as a SMF to export into a DAW. Some basic MIDI controller capabilities would be a nice fit too. :wave:

For a lot of playing situations, this keyboard will cover the bases well on its own.

Well Roland has fixed several of the issues with the VR-09 so I wouldn't count them out out just yet. The board isn't even shipping yet.

Actually the board shipped weeks ago via boat, and are in US Customs. But updates can happen at any time obviously.

For a lot of playing situations, this keyboard will cover the bases well on its own.

Why does the FA have 16 MIDI tracks then? Seems like a missed opportunity if the only intent is to save your sequencer sketches as a SMF to export into a DAW. Some basic MIDI controller capabilities would be a nice fit too. :wave:

I agree, it seems a missed opportunity. You'd think with the MOX's, Kronos derivatives, and PC3 LE's all having some degree of MIDI controller capability Roland would've put some of that in the FA series. But I'd go nuts trying to second-guess manufacturers every time, and each one has their particular quirks. That's why I've been using Roland keyboards recently as stand-alone, live playing instruments, i.e. - JP50. It has a very limited, front panel MIDI control interface (under the hood the MIDI control setup is OK). So I focus on it as a single 'board; and it sounds like nothing else for certain stuff I do.

If I wanted a synth with lots of MIDI control, etc, I would've picked up a Fantom G6 or G7. But I already have a Kronos 61, second tier (wish it was a 76, though :deadhorse:), and my 88's have enough controller capability, if needed.

As Tony said, the FA's are just on the cusp of release. So possibly a future OS update will have some MIDI control added. But, if I was planning to purchase an FA I'd get it for what it does right now. If capable, live MIDI control is needed, better off looking elsewhere at this point in time.

This could be the case of Roland's time to market decision and the FA product release for NAMM where Roland decided it will do added/final touches with OS updates. Lots of speculation fun in the thread...we haven't seen the FA owner's manual and parameter guide, so we are still shooting in the dark about the FA specific capabilities and limitations.

...this ship(ment) will land soon ;)

So possibly a future OS update will have some MIDI control added. But, if I was planning to purchase an FA I'd get it for what it does right now. If capable, live MIDI control is needed, better off looking elsewhere at this point in time.

I've watched every demo of this board I can find over the last several days. I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far. It's rapidly rising on my best-bang-for-the-buck list. This is the first affordable lightweight keyboard I've heard that sounds at least as good if not better than my PC3. And, it even has scat voices. That's one big reason why I've kept with Kurzweil for the last 6 or 7 years. Their Take 6 voices sound great and one demo of the FA06 had a too brief demo of Roland's scat singers. I would want to test that but the little I heard sounded pretty good.

I think the answer to your question is tied into what one of the guys said about it integrating with Abelton Live. Those 16 pads link to scene changes in Abelton as well as being used to create backing tracks using the sampler. For a one man band type of thing this FA rocks. It seems to me like this board is primarily designed for live performance from the board itself, not for controlling a rack full of stuff but if that can be included in an update then everybody's happy.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I'm pretty sold on it regardless of the midi part. With 16 parts anything I use my Stage for can be consolidated to 1 board. I can use the sampler and trigger it from the sequencer for some of the Floyd stuff Then I can get an SK1 for the top board which would only need to do what it does best and maybe cover some parts with the extra voices and not worry about any complex setups like I have now. It's new rig time. I even told my wife.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Want to add- I saw a couple videos demoing the SN pianos and EPs, there is a lot of control and the sounds are really good.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

:)

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SK1-73 first. I'll have a bit of reprogramming to do to modify some patches in the Yamaha to make up for the loss of the Nord synth section. It won't be that much work really, it's about 10 patches for 1 band and they are all pretty easy changes to make, and about 6-7 for the Floyd band. Some of those will require a little more thought and more actual creation of sounds to add into the splits, but I have plenty of time on those.

I can get immediate impact with the SK1 on the blues gigs too.

Then I can sell the Nord to get some cash to put down on the Roland once it comes out, recreate all my stuff on that, and then sell the Yamaha. This will give the Roland time to "mature" in case there are any bugs in the system.

Sound like a plan?

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I never tell my wife.

I take that back, sometimes I tell my wife just to have something to talk about.

I run all band expenses and band deposits through my own seperate account. ... I couldn't keep track of stuff otherwise. End of year I would be screwed.

I never buy anything brand new straight out of the chute. Another reason I went with the MiniVent rather than getting one of the units from the very first batch of Vent IIs. Even though I conduct band business without my wife's permission, at heart I am still a chicken.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

$hit. I was ready to pull the trigger. Overhead garage door sprung/exploded/crashed when I tried to open it last nite. THANKFULLY, it did not damage our cars or motorcycles. It did however cost $700. Just dropped over $2k on car repairs for my youngest son, spent a lot more than that on my wife's bike for Christmas. Saw I still have a few K in medical bills from January.

Looks like this might have to wait a couple months.

:)

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SK1-73 first.

If you're not going to play piano parts on the SK1 (since it will either be over an S70XS or an FA-08), then I think an SK1-61 on top would be all you'd need, saving a little $ and a little weight. And organ always "feels" most right to me on a board that ends in a high C.

On a different note, assuming a main goal is to reduce the weight compared to your S70XS, personally I might pick the MOXF8 over the FA-08. The Yamaha is lighter, and gives you all the Yamaha sounds you're used to. And since you're also replacing the Nord, the MOXF also gives you the ability to load new/custom sounds into flash, a Nord feature you will otherwise be losing. The FA has the clonewheel organ, but you'll have that in the SK1. OTOH, I do see the advantages of the Roland ergonomics/interface, the VA synth (that you would be losing from the Nord), and some nice SN sounds. So... two good choices, I guess.

The SK1 73 is a great choice (IMO) for a 2board rig that requires great Hammond sounds, especially i you do left hand organ while the right hand is doing something else.

The ergonomics of the 73 make left hand organ so much more comfortable. And for the clav....