Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines #2569512 02/05/14 09:48 AM
Richard W Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
One could quibble with this list, I suppose. It doesn't include "Something," which is one of my favorites, or any part of the Abbey Road medley. Still, it's a pretty good overview of McCartney's output with the Beatles.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy
BP Island
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Richard W] #2569518 02/05/14 10:35 AM
B
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
B
Macca is one of a kind.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Bottom End] #2569577 02/05/14 01:16 PM
Russkull Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Given that Paul's playing on the Sgt. Peppers album is one of the main reasons I became a bass player, I'm a little surprised that only one song off that album made the cut. What about "With A Little Help From My Friends", "Fixing A Hole" or "Lovely Rita"?

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Russkull] #2569598 02/05/14 02:15 PM
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hard for me to take the list seriously without Something. But that's me.

Push the button Frank.
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: kenfxj] #2569631 02/05/14 04:07 PM
Richard W Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: kenfxj
Hard for me to take the list seriously without Something. But that's me.

I agree. Come Together is probably one of my least favorite Beatles tunes, and Abbey Road has Something, She's So Heavy, and the medley, each of which has better bass lines in my opinion.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Richard W] #2569644 02/05/14 04:58 PM
D
DJR_Bos Offline
D
Well, if you must make such a list I agree Rain should be on it. But that's about all.

Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: DJR_Bos] #2569678 02/05/14 07:49 PM
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I gotta go with Paperback Writer and Rain.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: jcadmus] #2569726 02/06/14 01:24 AM
jeremy c Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I love Taxman. 13 bar verses. yum, yum.

Come Together is one of those basslines that everyone knows and immediately knows what song it is. That's a characteristic of a great bassline IMNSHO.

Even though I have transcribed the Something bassline and teach it to my students, I will never stop thinking that Paul was overplaying on the greatest song that George ever wrote.

Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: jeremy c] #2569729 02/06/14 01:32 AM
Nicklab Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
*YAWN*

ANOTHER one of these lists? Don't any of these music websites have something substantive to offer their readers than their ridiculous top ten lists? The pattern is tiring.

It's very easy to pick out some gems from Paul McCartney's bass playing. This list falls short. The absence of "Lovely Rita" and "Something" make this list incredibly suspect.

Obligatory Social Media Link
"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: jeremy c] #2569767 02/06/14 10:34 AM
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: jeremy c
I love Taxman. 13 bar verses. yum, yum.

Yes! Thought of that one after I posted. Great pick.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: jeremy c] #2569853 02/06/14 02:27 PM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Even though I have transcribed the Something bassline and teach it to my students, I will never stop thinking that Paul was overplaying on the greatest song that George ever wrote.

Paul is an excellent musician. Anybody who can perform solo as a singer/pianist is taking care of a lot: melody (voice), harmony (right hand) and bass (left hand).

It's hard to dial back that kind of ability.

That's why I think Paul overplays "Something". He's trying to make it mentally challenging so he doesn't get bored.

My vocal range is more like George's. I can sing "Something" but to do so while playing Paul's bass line is pretty near impossible. Most of the other George/Ringo songs are similar in that they are hard to sing lead and play bass simultaneously. ("Taxman" is another example.)

It may be that Paul's best bass playing is when he's concentrating solely on playing bass.

Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: jeremy c] #2569857 02/06/14 02:39 PM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Come Together is one of those basslines that everyone knows and immediately knows what song it is. That's a characteristic of a great bassline IMNSHO.

Agreed.

I often have to play this song in a guitar/bass/drums trio. Everything is fine except for the guitar solo and the outro. For these sections the rhythm guitar/electric piano is sorely missed so I often play these parts instead of just the roots that Paul plays.

Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Eric VB] #2569910 02/06/14 04:43 PM
Richard W Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I don't forget that in "Taxman," in addition to that classic bass line, McCartney also played the lead guitar.

Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Richard W] #2570038 02/07/14 04:31 AM
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Most of my favorite Beatles bass lines were played by Harrison or Lennon.

Most of my favorite Beatles lead guitar lines were played by McCartney.

It's all relative though. :-)

I'm just merely expressing my shock when I found out over the course of the past few years that the bass lines that inspired me to become a bassist were by McCartney (e.g. Lennon played Bass VI on "Come Together"; Harrison played the bass on "Taxman" while McCartney carried the lead -- and these are just two examples, with "Helter Skelter" being yet another one with switched roles).

Nevertheless, McCartney's signature on the instrument is unmistakable, but I'm hesitant to list my favorite Beatles bass lines without first consulting a very deeply detailed book to make sure they meet the topic header's criterium of being by McCartney. :-)

It's also well-known that when The Beatles switched roles, they tried to mimic each other. McCartney reused this trick years later when he and Elvis Costello collaborated on each other's contemporaneous albums and deliberately tried to fool people as to who contributed which parts.

Last edited by Mark Schmieder; 02/07/14 04:33 AM. Reason: clarification

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: jeremy c] #2570086 02/07/14 11:45 AM
Nicklab Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

George has been quoted as saying that at first Paul seemed to have been treating the track like "a bloody bass solo". But this bit from one of the engineers speaks volumes about how both George and Paul dealt with the recording of the bass part for "Something":

Quote:

"Paul started playing a bass line that was a little elaborate, and George told him, 'No, I want it simple.' Paul complied. There wasn't any disagreement about it, but I did think that such a thing would never happened in years past. George telling Paul how to play the bass? Unthinkable! But this was George's baby, and everybody knew it was an instant classic."

-Geoff Emerick to Music Radar

Obligatory Social Media Link
"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."
Re: McCartney's "best" Beatles bass lines [Re: Nicklab] #2570091 02/07/14 11:56 AM
Richard W Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
The bass line is a little florid in Something, but it's also doing much of the heavy lifting. The guitar part is pretty spare and dialed back throughout most of the song.

Here's the isolated guitar part and in the bass line's absence you can tell how important it is.