Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I watched Dave Bryce's video on the RD-800. It looks great. I wanted to know other's thoughts on Roland keyboard and acoustic piano sounds.

Also, comparisons to Yamaha CP4 in regards to keyboard feel and acoustic piano sounds.

Thanks.

Keyboard Corner Island
S
S
All of this is subjective of course, but, after spending a lot of time researching what was out there, I plumped for an RD700NX on the 4th January - only to read a few days later that it looked likely that the RD800 would launch at Winter NAMM!

My own view was that the keyboard action on the 700 was way better than anything else I tried - including the CP4. I preferred the Supernatural sounds of the 700 as well. In the end (after some soul searching, because I was very happy with it) I decided to return the 700 and, having since spoken to my friendly Roland rep and watched every demo I can find on the net, I've now ordered the 800.

From what I understand the new action is, mechanically, pretty much the same as on the 700, but the 'thump' of the keys, that some criticised (but I thought was fine) has also been improved. It also seems that all the NX tones I like have been retained on the new model, with the addition of new tones in both AP and EP sections. The 800 has also improved the editing of tones, so all in all it feels like a worthwhile upgrade and, for me, puts further daylight between itself and the CP4.

Incidentally, when I took the 700 back to the store last weekend, I had a play with the CP4 on display there and it instantly re-confirmed my decision. For me, the Roland just feels classier in every way - both in terms of action and the ivory feel of the keys. Plus of course the sounds! I think the Roland tones are richer, with a much more natural decay than the Yamaha, although that's just my view of course!

Have you checked the video that Andertons (www.andertons.co.uk) recently posted to YouTube? Gives a better overview than most of the other early YouTube clips.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks so much Semolina. Really appreciate your taking the time to reply.
Hope the RD800 is everything you hoped for and more. Let us know, please.

Will check out the video.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't know what it is, but I can't get excited about Roland pianos anymore... Not since the RD-1000, and that tells you how long it's been. smile

I do have my eye on the CP4, or perhaps even just the CP-33. I feel like Yamaha owns the piano game right now, in terms of sound and feel. I'm also intrigued by the Kawai VPC-1, since I'm a home studio musician only and portability/live performance isn't a concern.

Sundown

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase
S
S
Like I say, it's all a matter of personal taste. The CP4 is a very good piano too, but my personal preference is the Roland.

There's a CP 4 vs RD800 thread on the Piano World forums that you might also like to read Bryan, but, at the end of the day, only your ears and fingers can decide!

I have one on order. I've been on Roland DPs since the mid nineties, but have had some flirts with Yamaha, Kawai, Kurzweil and Studiologic over the past 5 years. I always end up finding Rolands to be superior overall. I have faith that the RD800 will be a nice upgrade from my RD300NX.

Roland RD800, EV zxa1
W
W
Originally Posted By: thomsurf
I have one on order. I've been on Roland DPs since the mid nineties, but have had some flirts with Yamaha, Kawai, Kurzweil and Studiologic over the past 5 years. I always end up finding Rolands to be superior overall. I have faith that the RD800 will be a nice upgrade from my RD300NX.

I am also considering the RD800, amongst others. As an aside how have you found the action on the RD300NX?

It's descent, but kind of 'hard'. I tend to get sore hands if I play it for more than an hour. Also it's a bit klonky, making it hard to do fast repetitions. It has a great connection to the piano sound though.
Having played the RD700NX I'm pretty confident the RD800 will be a joy to play.

Roland RD800, EV zxa1
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Not after playing it at NAMM. Worse keyboard action I have played in a very long time. The sounds were pretty good (except for the Hammond and crappy Leslie sim).

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Hammonddave, you lost me, what was the worse keyboard action... the 300 or the 800?

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The 800

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Wow, I was thinking of upgrading from my 700 to the 800.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
This video at 1:10 got me seriously wanting one.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A fun gimmick, but is tape delay actually useful?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

James
x
I agree but it's the thinking that went into live controls that I like. It seems to me they listened to the player when they added control over the controls. IMO effects only work when you have live control over them. Nord knows effects; too bad they don't know about actions.

I never did own an EchoPlex when they were out. I had a Morley pedal that was only 1/4 as good.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Was tempted, but I can't justify buying it when I already have the RD700NX. Would only be a slight upgrade. I plan on trading the 700 in, though. I'll be buying the FA-06 as well a PS-5X to go under it.

I love the SuperNatural piano sounds, so I'll probably use the PS-5X to play the SN ConcertGrand patch the FA has.

Nord E4 SW73
Yamaha MODX7
Mainstage 3
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: rickzjamm
Wow, I was thinking of upgrading from my 700 to the 800.

That's just my opinion. You should try it out for yourself.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
facepalm

When will people stop demoing the f*cking FM piano sound?

deadhorse deadhorse deadhorse

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
It looks like Roland is changing their aesthetics/styling again... I'm not a big fan of the new look.

Sundown

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase
I'll take a piano that feels good and sounds okay over one that feels bad and sounds great. If you do get the 800, make sure you can return it if the action sucks - something you may not know until you've taken it out on a gig.

S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

James
x

I like the "analogue-style" delay (with pitch shift when you alter the delay time) on my Nord Stage. I slightly modulate the delay time from modwheel or pedal to get an ethereal/otherworldly component to pads and the like.

But not on EP!

Cheers, Mike.

AX48.PM351.FC7.VFP2
One or two keyboards.
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted By: D-Bon
facepalm

When will people stop demoing the f*cking FM piano sound?

deadhorse deadhorse deadhorse

+1 deadhorse. There, I'm good now.

Cheers, Mike.

AX48.PM351.FC7.VFP2
One or two keyboards.
S
S
Disappointed. Unboxed my RD800 last night and my immediate impression is that I don't like it anywhere near as much as I did the 700. Don't like the new V-Piano Concert tone and even the NX APs sound metallic to me. The 700 felt richer in tone, made me smile and just made me want to play, but the 800 leaves me cold so far.

On the plus side, the EPs are much improved and there's some other good stuff in here too. I'll play around some more today, but might be downgrading back to the 700!

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well , what a disappointment for you.
What about the key action , how does that feel?.
Edit: Are you playing it through good headphones first?.

Brett

Last edited by Brettymike; 02/22/14 04:58 AM.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, I checked out the Andertons video, and saw nothing in it I liked. Since the development of their Supernatural technology, it seems every Roland piano sound has that harsh, metallic top end. Ugh!

Casio PX-S1000 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Yamaha Tyros 5-76 | Nord Electro 5D-73 | Moog Sub 37
O
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
O
Originally Posted By: Aidan
Well, I checked out the Andertons video, and saw nothing in it I liked. Since the development of their Supernatural technology, it seems every Roland piano sound has that harsh, metallic top end. Ugh!

Agree… I think its one of those things that gradually ebbs away at you until you can take no more.

I am still loving the Stage 2 pianos (particularly the Bright Yamaha grand) and think its head and shoulders above all I have heard so far… still… that price was painful…

Hi all, first time poster here but longer time reader of the forum. Thought I may add my 2 pence worth on this thread!

I'm a long time player of RDs and own a 700GX with the SN board, but yesterday took the plunge for an RD800.

My local dealer had a 700NX next to the RD800 so I could try the outgoing model already knowing what a GX feels like. Chatting to the shop guys and the Roland rep that works there they said the mechanics of the key action were the same as the NX action but new felts or something in the key bed to make quieter which it really was! My GX can be pretty "clumpy" at times. He also said of the V-Piano sounds in there, that they are cleaner and cut through a mix better which I understand, sometimes the Roland SN sound is great on its own but can get masked. Asked to try through a K10 as setup in the show room were just naff Roland KC amps.

Semolina - it's a shame you couldn't A/B because the NX sounds on board sound identical so they are all there to use...I know I'll use them!

i've already posted a thread about it, but I'm down for an RD800 rawk evil rawk

S
S
Ok, quick update. Managed to do an A/B test in store with headphones. Not ideal as the pianos were on opposite sides of the store, but enough to convince me that the NX sounds ARE indeed the same. I think it comes down to the action - trying the two together, the 800 feels slightly lighter perhaps, but certainly with less of a thump. Having said that, I have to admit that I still prefer the 700 action - thump and all!

Off home now to play with mine a little more. As much as I like the old action, there's still a lot more the 800 offers that makes it a worthwhile trade-off. Here's hoping I get used to it!

CEB Offline
10k Club
10k Club
The 800 looks nice. It looks like a Kawai!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard