Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

I saw that Steve Fortner commented on how the FA had drawbar control options on the keyboard's display (editable with the up and down keys, more for pre-live programming than anything, I'd imagine). However, I were using, for example, an XW-P1 with it's 9 draw sliders, would I be able to MIDI them up for drawbar control on the FA?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that Steve Fortner commented on how the FA had drawbar control options on the keyboard's display (editable with the up and down keys, more for pre-live programming than anything, I'd imagine). However, I were using, for example, an XW-P1 with it's 9 draw sliders, would I be able to MIDI them up for drawbar control on the FA?

AFAIK, we don't know yet if the FA's will respond to drawbar control - like some of the other, current Roland instruments having the latest SN, Tonewheel engine. The JP50 also has the drawbar control option - for saving to Live Sets - on the front panel; the JP80 takes that idea one step further with the touch screen allowing for live, drawbar control. The JP50 will not respond to external drawbar control - via sysex strings, but the JP80, and Integra 7 will.

From what I understand, the XW-P1's sliders do not send MIDI CC; but even if they did, it wouldn't work work the SN TW engine - which requires sysex strings. If the FA series does receive drawbar commands via sysex, then a compact, 9 slider controller that sends sysex would be needed. The two examples that immediately come to mind are the currently manufactured, Ocean Beach DB-1, and the discontinued (but occasionally available) Peavey PC 1600X; but there are a couple of other options out there - from my understanding.

So your options with the FA TW engine are: Best case scenario, pick up a DB-1 to use with the FA; or, worst case scenario, pre-program your favorite drawbar registrations and save them to the FA for live recall. That's what I ended up doing with the JP50: I have about twenty, different TW Live Sets that can be called up. You could adjust the drawbars real-time, live - without relying on external control; but then the process involves accessing one drawbar at a time - scrolling to each, and adjusting up or down. Other than moving one drawbar during the course of a song, that's pretty cumbersome.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I spent a lot of time on the FA08 and 06 at NAMM. It was the piece of gear that spoke to me the most, and is a real contender to let my rack go. Reading this thread, here's some questions that were asked (or more rightly, answers to those questions):

1. The keybed on the FA08 feels like the FP8 piano to me; super springy and bouncy. If you knew it, you know it. If you didn't...it's interesting. Certainly playable, but it has its own feel, for sure. As for the 06, I don't know that it's the same as the VR09 as I never played one, but I thought the 06 had a great synth keyboard. Too bad about after touch.

2. The sound is fantastic, at least through headphones. SUPER impressive. I played with the Voice mode a bit, but I was more concerned with SONG mode (they've done away with Performance, so there's just the 2 modes now). And with 16 parts, there are plenty of options to build huge multis. The sounds don't get wheezy or thin in this mode, I'm guessing due to the amount of FX processing available. It really does sound great.

3. The display rocks. I was able to get around pretty quickly on this machine with no instruction, and get things going fast. The flow is logical, and most of your 'gotta know' stuff is on the front page.

4. EASE OF USE. Really, can't say it better than that. I'm a Motif guy, but this was just Fisher Price easy. KUDOS.

5. In Song mode, no midi transmission. Boo hiss. But if I'm replacing my rack, it's a good built-in condom protecting me from just adding this to the rack. :)

6. No individual outputs. Stereo main, and "SUB OUT" which is for the sampler pads.

Cosmetics...it's like a Volvo: boxy but good. I agree, a little sprucing wouldn't hurt, but it's not heinous.

It sounds like Roland, but that's a good thing. I really don't love my FantomXR, even though I use the shit out of it. To me, this is a return to the warm sounds of the JV1080, at least in terms of how great that was when it came out. The FA sounds pretty fantastic, even on the buzzy modern synth sounds (which make me nuts). Roland will also be releasing free sounds, starting with their Vintage Synth Collection, and then the SRX Ultimate Keys.

The sampler pads will also work like a numeric pad for program changes. As an A90 user, one of the things I loved was the ability to take any of the 8 zones in or out with a button push. In song mode, you can set up all 16 pads to work the same. DEFINITELY COOL.

If the MOXF and Krome are its competition, there is no competition. This is a winner, if for no other reason than it's ease of use. but there's a lot more to love about it.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

no midi on song mode is kind of a deal breaker for me. I'd need to be able to do splits/layers, which i'm guessing is where you'd use song mode, and also send midi program changes to my other boards when I call up a song preset. I have this board on a real short list- to the point that i'm working on the wife, greasing the wheels for a new purchase once it's available.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

hey tonysounds thanks for that review. very interesting and helpful. I'm considering this as a Fantom G/JV/JP-8k replacement and am excited by the sounds and weight and price

Glad to read that it sounds fantastic. It sounds from what you are saying that a lot of the "good" UI stuff from the fantom G has been refined, which is great, as that was what attracted me to the Fantom G over the others (and my preference for the Roland sound, build quality etc).

Good that the action is OK. I was in a music store today and the only Roland lower end boards they had were the BK range which actions were OK but a bit toy-ish, but I am very spoiled by the G6 action. I played a 300nx as well which action was fine (and a RD64 seemed similar action) so hopefully the FA08 is good, although Im aiming more for the 06 right now.

I wonder what will come out for these wave expansion slots? I'm sooooo glad they are doing the SRX range because I may be able to punt my JV-1080 and cards finally. I hope they also release more SN expansions so the machine can be customised.

No MIDI transmission in song mode i.e. for the sequencer so it can't talk to ext midi is a massive step backward from the Fantom G, that will be missed.

No individual outputs is also a big step backwards. The Fantom G is very well organised in that regard. I hope this changes, may not be such a big deal if the onboard sounds are really great, but I can't imagine a single good reason to not have the same outs as on the G.

DanL, I wonder if you're thinking of external parts? Until I see the FA06/08 I can't say, but I hope the FA-06 has retained the external parts options Fantom G/X, jupiter-80 and pretty much most Roland keyboards in this category . If they have lopped that off = huge mistake. I somehow doubt it though. They may have just limited the sequencer not to play out externally. Perhaps it's too dumbed down from the G.

The manuals and more videos from Roland can't come out quickly enough. They seem to have a winner here, and with Fantom more or less end of lifed, they should make the most of this!

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

I could always midi up my Sub 37 and use that to play anything I needed aftertouch for, right? ;)

But seriously, I love my M3-61, and the keybed is top-notch, but the flaky touch screen has left me in a pickle a few times during gigs, so I've been keeping my eye out for a replacement. This may be it. Lack of aftertouch is the only thing keeping me from setting aside the money immediately.

I could always midi up my Sub 37 and use that to play anything I needed aftertouch for, right? ;)

But seriously, I love my M3-61, and the keybed is top-notch, but the flaky touch screen has left me in a pickle a few times during gigs, so I've been keeping my eye out for a replacement. This may be it. Lack of aftertouch is the only thing keeping me from setting aside the money immediately.

Happy birthday, BluMunk!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

hey blumunk The Sub37 MIDI'd up sounds like a great idea! haha

I am considering two options, FA06 with D-70 which has aftertouch or FA-08 with A-800pro, which also has aftertouch. Not sure how it brings the cost down so much to leave out aftertouch. Always struck me as one of those dogmatic "lower priced keyboards don't have aftertouch" ideas from the manufacturers My JP-8000 does't have it, and I never really missed it, even though I've always had aftertouch capable boards. I was stunned when I MIDI'd the JP up to the Fantom and it started getting aftertouch from the Fantom, sounds I'd played for years started to respond so differently haha

anyway, hanging out to play a FA-06/08 so I can decide.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

THE best thing about the MOX/F is ability to include VSTi's in layers and splits,combined with internal sounds. This means laptop integration a breeze.

If the FA won't send midi out in multi-timbral mode, it is just stupid.

The pros are - crazy lightweight, nice compact design, sampler pads.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Hi Tony...are you sure about no MIDI TX????

See FA06/08 Specifications summary which indicates 16 parts and 16 MIDI Sequencer tracks. The sequencer screen shot shows 16 sequencer parts/MIDI channels.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FA-08/

BTW...I didn't see anything about this new MIDI condom feature ;).

Regards, C

"5. In Song mode, no midi transmission. Boo hiss. But if I'm replacing my rack, it's a good built-in condom protecting me from just adding this to the rack. :)"

In Song mode, no midi transmission. Boo hiss. But if I'm replacing my rack, it's a good built-in condom protecting me from just adding this to the rack. :)

You'd still be using it with another board, right? Either the Nord Stage or the SK1? One condom may not be enough.

But wow, no MIDI transmission in Song Mode? None? Not even plain Note-On-Note-Off which could be finessed on the receiving end if need be? So the only way to send MIDI is in its single voice mode, presumably over a single globally-specified MIDI channel?

So does that also mean there is no mode at all where calling up a patch on the Roland can call up a user-specified MIDI Program Change? (I am guessing that, in Voice mode, if it sends MIDI Program Change at all, it is sending the PC that naturally corresponds to the internal tone that has been called up. I have thought in the past that a great feature would be to have a single voice mode that still could have an arbitrary MIDI Program Change associated with its recallable locations, so one could call up internal and external voices interchangeably with no operational distinction between them, but I'd be kind of amazed if that happened on this of all boards!)

I had been thinking that, apart from the drawbars (and lower price), the FA provided about no reason to buy the VR-09, but while the VR is very limited in its MIDI capabilities, it sounds like it still tops the FA here.

No individual outputs. Stereo main, and "SUB OUT" which is for the sampler pads.

In a demo, it was shown that you could send a click track out the Sub Out, so it has some functionality other than pads. The demonstrator said you could also send other things to it, but there was not enough detail to know exactly what. It's a shame if it's just the pads. The idea of being able to do a split and send just the bass or just the organ out the Sub Out was one of the potentially most appealing features I saw in the board. Oh well.

Roland will also be releasing free sounds, starting with their Vintage Synth Collection, and then the SRX Ultimate Keys.

Also in an online demo, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that the first one coming out was SRX-03, which is Studio (Ultimate Keys is SRX-07), so it sounds like we have two conflicting Roland reps! The online demo also said they would be releasing one a month. Another nice tidbit you seem to have revealed, though, is that they will be free, which is a nice perk, and addresses Busch's earlier worry that they might try to nickel and dime the owners with expansion sounds. (Not that I'd even have begrudged them the opportunity to make a little something on them either!)

If the MOXF and Krome are its competition, there is no competition.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it probably would be my choice as well, if I were restricted to a single lightweight board (in this price range). If weight weren't an issue, I might be tempted by the Kurzweil PC3LE. As it is, though, for my own use, I'd stick with the MOXF. Okay, I'm a bit of a sucker for Yamaha sounds, but the MIDI functionality of the board and ability to load a gigabyte of additional sounds (factory, 3rd-party, or my own) into flash still give it the edge for me regardless. But yes, from what I've seen, the interface/ergonomics of the FA--the ease of use you're referring to--looks compelling. For people who don't specifically need something it doesn't offer, who just want a bunch of quality sounds covering pretty much all the bases in a lightweight and well priced package with straight-forward operation, yeah, it looks like a winner.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm still not sure whether to ditch the X8 for the FA-08, each new article on it swings me a different way. I was all ready to write Roland of and get a PC3K8 instead...

If it's returning to the sound of the JV-1080, that's nearly a sale for me right there, particularly if SRX-07 is on the way. (It'll also hopefully stop me buying a 1080 just for the nostalgia!) It would be nice to know a bit more about the sampler though.

Obviously, the above is subject to the keybed being to my taste...

But seriously, I love my M3-61, and the keybed is top-notch, but the flaky touch screen has left me in a pickle a few times during gigs, so I've been keeping my eye out for a replacement.

Just have the touch screen overlay replaced (I did last summer). Doesn't cost much and fixes the problem.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I asked the Roland rep specifically about midi transmission in song mode, and he told me no. I am going to be emailing him today, but I will reiterate the question. Before I asked the question, I had spent a lot of time with the machine, and I couldnt figure out how (or where) to send midi program changes in song mode.

I dont doubt theres conflicting info out there about the free downloads, but what I was told was Vintage Keys first (fromJV), and then the SRX Ultimate Keys expansion was next. FWIW.

As for things missing from the Fantom G8, like separate outs, and (if my info is correct) no midi in song mode, well, theres like $2500 difference in price, so shortcomings are to be expected.

Once I hear back from the rep, Ill pass the info along.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

On the Sequencer Edit Screen there is a Tone Select column for each of the 16 parts which defines the part's Program Number. You would think that the FA can also send this out over MIDI, say to work with the Integra 7 and its 7000+ tones/sounds. Let's hope the TX of MIDI MSB/LSB program changes is possible. :crazy:

...and thanks for asking the Roland Rep for the clarification!

I asked the Roland rep specifically about midi transmission in song mode, and he told me no. I am going to be emailing him today, but I will reiterate the question. Before I asked the question, I had spent a lot of time with the machine, and I couldnt figure out how (or where) to send midi program changes in song mode.

Once I hear back from the rep, Ill pass the info along.

Thanks for providing all of this great info on the FA, Tony. Sounds like a solid, self-contained keyboard for gigging, and more... I'm going to check out the SoundCloud demos. Feels like an FP-8 ? That's intriguing. My FP-8 had one of the best, hand-friendly actions ever.

Perhaps the External / MIDI out option on each of the 16 tracks is a sequencer function only; would make sense if what the rep told you is correct. I'm interested in what he clarifies to you about MIDI control on the FA - if there is any, significant capability there. But it's not a deal breaker.

I like the reference to the JV-1080, and the similarities in 'vibe' noted. There is something about that sound, a particular richness and depth. While the SN tones in my JP50 are great for certain things, there are sample-based sounds in my XV-5080 that are much stronger for particular applications. Love that piece, but it's basically dying a slow death on me. So having SN and JV/XV tones in one place is attractive; the open library makes it even more so.

As my CP4 - with some recent programming - now covers all of the core sounds I need from the S90XS (and the ep's and vintage stuff are much stronger), the FA-08 could be a sensible replacement for the 'XS. With both being in the upper 30 lb range, it would be easy switching out the CP and FA - between home studio / live rig, depending on the particular gig. This FA-08 merits more study.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

well, we're really at manuals and proper information from Roland time about this!

The External MIDI thing is a big question. It's so good in the Fantom G (Studio Sets have a complete 16 zone External MIDI section with saveable MSB/LSB PG changes per part). I would be very disappointed if it hasn't been ported over. I mean why have MIDI ports at all if this is the case? If it only works in Single Mode that will be quite a shame.

As for external outs, the 2nd out is a stereo jack but if it's tied to click out and the SP-404 only that would just be plain weird. The FG and many Roland instruments let you send to A/B stereo outs or 1,2,3,4 individual outs. Can't see why they would limit this.

With the wave expansion slots, maybe they themselves aren't sure what will be available. They dropped the ball big time with the ARX cards on the fantom G, so lets hope they have a better strategy this time. If they are doing the old SRJV80-04-Vintage Synth card, I would be thrilled, but I would imagine they meant the SRX-07 Vintage Keys one which includes most of that card anyway. What SN wave expansion they might make available is anyones guess...

If they are leaving simple features out to meet the brief of a mid-level instrument then they should make the full featured one! The Fantom G is really long in the tooth and seriously needs an update. If they don't want to do that at least give the FA series some of these features!

Time will tell.

I spent some time with the FA06. I'm used to my Roland A800 Pro controller which also has a synth-feel keyboard but the 06 feels like a new design, or at least one that hasn't been on the Roland controllers I've used (I had an Edirol PCR-M80 before the A800 Pro). The up-down travel seems shorter. It was not as satisfying for me to play. I don't think the difference was due to the lack of aftertouch vs. AT on my A800 - my PCR-M80 has no aftertouch and it's keybed feels the same as my A800.

Can't really comment on the other features or the sounds since I'm a laptop guy. The piano is probably fine for most people but not up to what I'm used to. Then again, I spent some time playing the Fazioli, which put a whole new perspective on things! :)

Some of the Ed Diaz NAMM demos also mentioned the upcoming SRX expansion libraries for the two FA virtual expansion slots. Has anyone heard or asked if the FA virtual slots will have SN expansion libraries as well (including some or portions of the existing Integra 7 SN expansion titles)?

Thanks, C

From the Integra 7 Expansion specification summary:

Expansion SuperNATURAL Sounds (6 titles)

ExSN1 Ethnic

ExSN2 Wood Winds

ExSN3 Session

ExSN4 A.Guitar

ExSN5 Brass

ExSN6 SFX

Expansion Hi-Quality PCM Sounds (1 title)

ExPCM HQ GM2 + HQ PCM Sound Collection

* The SRX Series and the Expansion SuperNATURAL Sounds use one virtual slot per title.

* The Expansion Hi-Quality PCM Sounds use all four virtual slots

The rep in this Sound On Sound video claims they'll be arriving around March, also that the SRX expansions may be free. Not much else new though.

[/u]

I thought I'd bring this over from the NAMM thread as it's more relevant here at least until the documentation becomes available.

These are the SN instruments I could find on the instrument:

APs, EPs, clavs, B3, FM EPs, one 60s organ and one theater organ.

Acoustic and electric basses

Acoustic guitars (no electrics, distorted, plucked, ethnic)

A small selection of bells and a few mallets

Ensemble strings

Drums

A wide selection of synth tones (basses, leads, pads, box, etc.)

Missing SN sounds include:

Solo strings, brass, woodwinds. Ensemble brass and woodwinds. Electric guitars (all varieties)

Accordions, harps, harmonicas, choirs, saxes, flutes

Ethnic sounds

Percussion, e.g. tympani

Yes there are PCM equivalents to most all of these, but I was disappointed to find many excellent SN acoustic tones to be missing. But the synth tones are very strong and I do think it's a very competitive board in this price range.

Also, it still is unclear as to what exactly can be loaded in the two WAVE EXPANSION SLOTS. Roland describes the two slots as: "The wave expansion slots are rewritable internal waveform memory. You can download data from the Axial sound library site and write it via a USB flash drive into the FA's internal wave memory (slot)." On the Integra they are referred to as EXPANSION VIRTUAL SLOTS and can load SN and SRX sounds.

Busch.