Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 29 of 29 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29
Topic Options
#2724563 - 09/29/15 03:07 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: tucktronix]
Brandon A Offline

Hi all,

First time posting on the forums. I have a FA-08 that I use for both pads and organ sounds in the church band.

My question is this: What is the most ergonomic way to switch between the fast and slow Leslie effect?

Currently, I've set up the effect to latch on the S1 key, but it is a bit of a stretch at the end of the keyboard, and I have to take one hand off the keys. I would like to use a pedal to switch on/off the effect, but most keyboard-specific pedals are momentary. Is there a way to configure a momentary pedal to switch between fast and slow Leslie, or do I need to buy a more expensive latching pedal?

I'm open to other solutions if you've got them*, and I apologize if there is a simple method to do this that I couldn't figure out!

Thanks,

Brandon

*Note: I'd prefer not to buy a nice but pricey Leslie-simulator like the RT-20.

KC Island
#2744711 - 01/04/16 06:29 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: Mr T, Sweden]
konaboy Offline
Gold Member

Hi chaps, sorry to bump an old thread but it was an excellent resource when I bought my FA08, and now I wanted to add a link to my video review series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ef11m8YS4&list=PL06yWTzEzyoJT3xX5BaQuZH7TFZOONyJz

Apologies for my terrible presentation skills, perhaps this will improve with time and practice... smile To compensate, the playing is not too shabby and I made an effort to capture a good quality audio recording of the instrument.

If you are considering the FA for it's acoustic or electric pianos then these vids might be informative and worth a watch. In upcoming episodes I will dig into the clavs, organs and synth tones.

cheers!

Edited by konaboy (01/04/16 06:42 AM)

#2745961 - 01/10/16 08:57 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: konaboy]
konaboy Offline
Gold Member

My review of the tonewheel organs is up, the FA is as far as I am aware the only workstation in this price range to include a clonewheel organ. I believe it's basically the same old Roland VK emulation rebranded as "SuperNATURAL". It does a pretty decent job and I think this is captured in the video. I know a lot of guys are passionate about tonewheel emulations on this board so hopefully you will find it interesting!

https://youtu.be/iWno_8kJw4k

#2745991 - 01/10/16 10:45 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: konaboy]
Nadread Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks for the helpful vids Konaboy! I've had mines for over a year but I know from experience that vids like that are very handy for folks GASing all over Youtube over something they think they want...

#2779173 - 05/15/16 08:20 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: Nadread]
bill555 Offline

Just a heads up to those not familiar, the FA-06 has the "cheapie" spring-action keys vs the weighted keys the FA-08 has. Night and day diff.

#2785106 - 06/14/16 11:57 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: bill555]
bob_sd Offline

Loc: CA
So after a crappy experience with the VR09 I traded it in for an FA06 (approx 14 months ago)

I've gigged with the FA on several occasions as my upper synth/organs board (I've got an SV-1 on the bottom covering stage piano, electric piano, and clavs). Previously I used an Alesis Ion for my top board and while its organs certainly couldn't compare to the "not quite clone wheel" quality of the FA, the Ion allowed me to effectively map any parameter I wanted to the pitch wheel or two modulation wheels - resulting in Nord morph "like" affects.

Then steps in the FA. It's got decent organs (apart from some jaw dropping functionality omissions), but all in all for my purposes which includes performing live, I am unimpressed with the Supernatural synths. Not necessarily the sound quality, but rather I am unimpressed with the inability to assign synth parameters via cc to pitch/mod paddle, buttons, and knobs when used in a performance setting.

Obviously we all know that there is no good quality cost effective available solution for adding drawbar controllers to the supernatural organ, but also, unless I am completely missing the boat, it is not possible to assign controllers to any destinations in the supernatural synths - rather can only assign controllers to destinations of the current MFX effect.

So for instance, if I want use the pitch/mod joystick to change filter cutoff/resonance, etc on a Supernatural synth patch, I am out of luck. Not going to happen. Likewise I can't assign a knob to a CC to control key tracking on the filter.

I've found that really any of the cool performance options provided by the FA06 are only available if I'm willing to utilize the dated sound gen tech employed in Roland's earlier boards - which totally bums me out. Don't get me wrong, many of these still rock - it just puzzles me to no end that Roland releases a new product which much improve sounds but forgot to give us even 30% of the control we previously had to modify the old synth parameters in a live setting.

Hopefully one of you will tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and all is indeed possible on the FA (without using the touchscreen - using that in a live situation to control parameters is a nonstarter and accident waiting to happen). But I'm not holding my breath. But it would sure be cool...

#2785121 - 06/15/16 04:50 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: bob_sd]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
actually you can assign anything to the knobs, there is one setting in that matrix that is user parameters. You have to go into the studio set setup and assign them there.

Page 39 and 99 of the manual.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2785165 - 06/15/16 08:15 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: DanL]
BenWaB3 Offline

Loc: Lancaster, PA
I just watched the Youtube video of the organ function. One thing that was missing was the C/V effect. Is that missing on the synth entirely? They abandoned the 76 note version on this one too, which seems to be a feature many keyboard players desire but manufacturers are ignoring lately.

Edited by BenWaB3 (06/15/16 08:16 AM)

#2785184 - 06/15/16 10:22 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: BenWaB3]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: BenWaB3
I just watched the Youtube video of the organ function. One thing that was missing was the C/V effect. Is that missing on the synth entirely? They abandoned the 76 note version on this one too, which seems to be a feature many keyboard players desire but manufacturers are ignoring lately.

Here Here, I echo your 73/76 Trumpet! the only option for far too many models is a 61 or an 88 fully weighted.

Only top of line boards seem to bother with the mid-board. perhaps ironic as lower priced boards sell alot more units (to amortize development/tooling costs). I'm sure someone in the business development team does math on this, what do I know.

#2785186 - 06/15/16 10:31 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: BenWaB3]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: BenWaB3
I just watched the Youtube video of the organ function. One thing that was missing was the C/V effect. Is that missing on the synth entirely?

I've never understood why this was omitted. Even the Jupiter's left it out. Frustrating. I add some tremolo and that works better than nothing. I compared it against my M3 and the rate and depth are close to the C3 setting. I also use the sub out for organs and route the sounds through a ventilator pedal (bypassing the internal sim). Sounds real nice.

#2785674 - 06/17/16 06:20 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: DanL]
bob_sd Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: DanL
actually you can assign anything to the knobs, there is one setting in that matrix that is user parameters. You have to go into the studio set setup and assign them there.

I wish this were the case. The problem is that the matrix is only available for the PCM sounds - not supernatural (synth and/or instrument). Realtime performance control assignments for the supernatural synths are virtually nonexistent - such a huge step back from the older PCM technology.

Re c/v - would love to know what Roland was thinking - something like - "hey guys, we absolutely cannot under any scenario cannibalize sales of the VR-09, so lets remove all physical realtime clone wheel controls. While we are at it, lets make sure that they can't assign any clone wheel controls. But we can't stop there, let's just remove a core piece of the clone wheel functionality altogether. Should we remove c/v or high trigger point? Why not both?"

#2785848 - 06/19/16 12:22 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: bob_sd]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: bob_sd

I wish this were the case. The problem is that the matrix is only available for the PCM sounds - not supernatural (synth and/or instrument). Realtime performance control assignments for the supernatural synths are virtually nonexistent - such a huge step back from the older PCM technology.

Re c/v - would love to know what Roland was thinking - something like - "hey guys, we absolutely cannot under any scenario cannibalize sales of the VR-09, so lets remove all physical realtime clone wheel controls. While we are at it, lets make sure that they can't assign any clone wheel controls. But we can't stop there, let's just remove a core piece of the clone wheel functionality altogether. Should we remove c/v or high trigger point? Why not both?"

Its not only Roland that does these things, yamaha is also a champ at these things, even in their top of the line products...

#2786163 - 06/20/16 11:40 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: Bachus]
iluvchiclets Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
As a note regarding Chorus Vibrato, if you download the EXP-02 Keys Collection from the Roland Axial site there are a few patches that feature Hammond organ with C/V.

I found them to be a very useful addition to my FA06!

#2786178 - 06/20/16 01:11 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: iluvchiclets]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Ohh - I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks.

#2819108 - 12/04/16 08:32 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: DanL]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Rik, yes, you can send program changes from the FA to the PC3. The limitation is that on the FA, there is no mapping of program numbers. Studio set 1 transmits to patch 1 of the external keyboard, 2 to 2, etc. You'll need to rearrange your PC3 sounds so when you send the program change from the FA, the right patch comes up on the PC3.

Could you get around that by using Songs on the FA?

#2819200 - 12/04/16 07:07 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: AnotherScott]
JimboKeys Offline

Loc: Raleigh NC
Quote:
No -- in fact (IIRC), selecting a song (unlike selecting a Studio Set) sends out no MIDI data at all.

- Jimbo

Edited by JimboKeys (12/04/16 07:08 PM)

#2842463 - 03/17/17 10:53 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: JimboKeys]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
Over on the Roland Clan forum a guy posted an idea for running an effects pedal. You send the part to the sub out and send the pedal out to the audio in. This could be a good way to use a Vent.

Link

#2842469 - 03/17/17 11:09 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: JimboKeys]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: JimboKeys
Quote:
No -- in fact (IIRC), selecting a song (unlike selecting a Studio Set) sends out no MIDI data at all.

According to the FA ref manual, you can embed MIDI Program Change messages as part of the Performance data in a track of a song. So in theory, I think you could create Songs that had no notes in them, but merely sent whatever Program Change you wanted to send. (You can also specify, for each track, whether MIDI data should be sent to the internal sound engine, an external sound module, both, or neither.) If anyone is up for trying this, I'd be curious to know how it works out.

#2884347 - 10/10/17 11:59 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: Aidan]
MorbidMonsterMax Offline

Loc: MN, U.S.
Hey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this previously, but I found a YouTube Tutorial that show how you can load Integra synth soundsets into the FA-series workstations.

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370. Kimball Valencia/Broadway organs, Shure SM-57

#2884527 - 10/11/17 07:55 PM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: MorbidMonsterMax]
Fleer Offline

Cheers, MMM!

#2884554 - 10/12/17 12:46 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: Fleer]
Roy68 Offline

Hello guys, I have a question. I plugged the headphones in the sub output jack, of my FA 08, but I can't hear anything. What should I do? Thank you! just that on the manual it put the headphones photo in that output, and I wanted to try it ...

#2884574 - 10/12/17 05:15 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: Roy68]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
I think you got this answered on the FA Facebook group? You have to route sounds to the sub output for anything to be heard.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2884596 - 10/12/17 07:37 AM Re: Roland FA-06 and FA-08 [Re: DanL]
Roy68 Offline

Ok DanL, I'll try it. Thanks

Page 29 of 29 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner