Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2559386 - 01/08/14 05:25 AM Canceled Gig, What Would You Do?
Chad Thorne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pittston, Maine, USA
We just heard that the bar we're scheduled to play Sat. night wants to cancel us because football is on. This crap makes me so mad I could spit.

My view is, sure, we can not play. Just pay us for the canceled gig. Three friggin' days before the date...

Thoughts?

#2559502 - 01/08/14 10:57 AM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: Chad Thorne]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Future reference - get a contract and a deposit...

#2559740 - 01/09/14 07:36 AM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: Griffinator]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Griff is right. Write up a basic contract and have club owners sign it when they agree to hire you. Make sure it contains a clause about cancellations.
My Pics

#2559854 - 01/09/14 01:19 PM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: Griffinator]
Chad Thorne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Griffinator
Future reference - get a contract and a deposit...
I would love to. My bandmate, who does most of the booking, doesn't have the balls to present a contract. Any more than he has the balls to demand a 50% cancellation fee...

#2559940 - 01/09/14 05:36 PM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: Chad Thorne]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Most bars around here would never pay a deposits, but contracts are common. The best thing about them is that they force the conversation in advance with regards to the details of the gig and all the "what-if" scenarios. Are you going to sue somebody over a cancelled gig? Likely not. But the value of the level of communication it brings to the table is a plus.

Incidentally, I've played lots of sports bars where they had us wait to start until after the game. You pay less time, but people stick around after the game for the music.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2560018 - 01/10/14 04:20 AM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: J. Dan]
Chad Thorne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Most bars around here would never pay a deposits, but contracts are common. The best thing about them is that they force the conversation in advance with regards to the details of the gig and all the "what-if" scenarios. Are you going to sue somebody over a cancelled gig? Likely not. But the value of the level of communication it brings to the table is a plus.
"Like."

Quote:
Incidentally, I've played lots of sports bars where they had us wait to start until after the game. You pay less time, but people stick around after the game for the music.
The funny thing: This is not a sports bar per se, it's a brew pub. But there is always a large contingent of people at the bar who ignore the band in favor of watching the game or whatever.

Again, if he wants to cancel in this situation it's o.k. with me if he did the right thing and paid us.

#2616870 - 08/05/14 03:51 AM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: Chad Thorne]
mc9320 Offline

Loc: London, UK
Get a contract. I agree most bars won't pay a deposit, but you can always put a cancellation policy into your contract. Also make sure you're a member of a good union. In the UK, we have the Musicians Union, which works well. There must be several in the US to choose from

#2674957 - 03/24/15 09:35 AM Re: Canceled Gig, What Would You Do? [Re: mc9320]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
If the word or topic of a "contract" is scary to one side or both, try a "letter agreement." It's a contract but it's simple and limits things to one page. For a band, it would be just the basics of what's expected from each side such as time, date, how much you're getting paid, how long you're playing, what happens for cancellations, etc. It would leave out all that boilerplate people never read anyway, so you don't need a clause about brown M&Ms either. smile

It should spur the kinds of conversations Dan mentions.

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer