Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Since we have football and a few other OT threads, I thought I'd start a new one on photography. Pictures of gear are most welcome but I think just about everything else is good too. If you're posting pictures please keep sizes at 1024 (long edge) or smaller.

KenElevenShadows, RedKey, RichieP MechE, Joe Muscara and several other I suspect others are into photography. Even pianists such as Ben Folds are heavily into photography so there must be something that ties these two art forms together.

As for me it was something that I was heavily into back in high school and at one point it was something that considering pursuing instead of music. When I started at Casio I had access to all of their best point and shoot cameras, but it was actually the iPhone and off its photo manipulation apps that got me addicted again. So just about two years ago I bought a Canon T2i and since then have had GAS for lenses and other gear almost bad as anything I've had for synths. As many of you know, I travel almost all the time for work and I always travel with my camera. When I home I rarely even walk the dogs without taking my camera with me. I also use my own camera to shoot all of Casio's product pictures and videos.

So after this long introduction, post away. I'll do another post with some of my photos.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos, Mike!

I hope to add some stuff at some point. I took some photos with my 50mm the other week that I really like, but it's more the lighting than the subject matter as I was just experimenting. Hopefully this thread will continue to rise and I'll be reminded to post something. :thu:

P.S. How did you not list me? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

P.S. How did you not list me? ;)

I did. ;)

LOLz.

This is a really good article (How to Take Good Photos for Under $1,000). I bought a "fast 50" a few years ago and really have a blast with it.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Been trying to break into the paparazzi game.. good money for the right shot. This is one of my more *ahem* interesting finds: :laugh:

:D lol

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Wjwilcox,

On flick, you want to use the share feature with the "HTML/BBCODE" and you'll get images that work here.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Photography has developed into being a huge passion of mine. I grew up amidst the transition from film to digital. My first camera was a cheapo 110 film camera that I got maybe around age 8. I didn't use it much. Throughout my teens I would often use disposable cameras. I wasn't using them to take artistic photos but rather just for taking pictures on vacations and the like. In high school, I started getting into railfanning (taking pictures of trains) and I bought my first digital camera (this was around 2004), a Fuji Finepix S3000. This is when I really started to discover photography as an art form.

4 years later, I decided to take a black and white photography class in college. It was great; I learned how to use a 35mm SLR (I bought a Canon Rebel T2, because that was the only film SLR they had at the Best Buy I went to), how to develop film, etc. Burning and dodging in real life, not software! I spent many hours in the darkroom that semester. I discovered that I had a bit of a talent for photography, and my instructor really helped me develop (no pun intended) as a photographer. I had planned to take the next level course (medium and large format film photography) my senior year, but unfortunately I couldn't fit it into my schedule.

I didn't do much shooting in the following years because I didn't have access to a darkroom anymore and I couldn't afford a good DSLR. After working about a year at my engineering job after graduating, I bought a Casio EX-G1 rugged point and shoot that I used for a few years, but I was frustrated with it and really wanted an SLR. In the spring of 2012, I had my college loans paid off, had gotten a raise, so I finally sprung for a DSLR. I bought a used Canon 7D off of ebay. That really re-stoked my photography fire and it's been all downhill ever since :D

Last spring I upgraded to a Canon 6D and sold the 7D. I was deciding between the 6D and 5D mk II, but ultimately went with the 6D for the excellent low light performance and the built in wifi and GPS (I compulsively location tag my photos). I love it! It's great being able to get usable results as ISO 12800!

Lens-wise, I have the 24-105 f/4 L (kit lens with the 6D, shame that Canon's discontinuing it) 35mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8, 20-35mm f/2.8 L (early 90's precursor to the 16-35 2.8L, purchased on ebay) and the 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake. Next on my list to get is some version of the 70-200mm f/2.8 L, probably a used model. I also have access to the beautiful 50mm f/1.2 L at work, which I get to borrow for the weekend sometimes :love:

When I went to South Africa on business this past summer, I wanted a smaller camera to tote around instead of the 6D, so I bought the new Rebel SL1. It's tiny! (well, for an SLR) The touch screen on it is really nice. Though I don't use it that much so I may sell it to get a new lens or a mirrorless body (especially if canon comes out with a new version of the EOS M)

I also have a speedlite, though I don't use it that often (flash photography is a whole 'nother ball of wax)! I bought a used Sinar 4x5 view camera last year too, hoping to get back into film, but the lack an available darkroom has led me to shelve it for now. Though I am in the process of making a mount so I can attach my 6D in place of the ground glass.

Whew, that was a lot of writing! Now to post some photographs!

I've got a Canon T4i and like Mike, get lens lust almost as bad as gear lust (I guess it's the same thing, right?). I got mine with the EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens. I want the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake lens next, or maybe a EF 50mm f/1.8 II instead. Next, looking at a 75-300mm Telephoto Zoom and then a good Macro of some sort. It does get pricey. Any thoughts on using tubes or extenders?

My wife went to Alaska last August with her daughter. Her daughter had a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS. She was taking pictures of bears where you could count the nose hairs. She ranted and raved about how cool that camera was, so I got her one for Christmas. Check out some of the YouTube videos of it. It has an equivilant focal length of 1200mm optical and 4800mm digital. She's taken pics of the moon where you can see the craters clearly. Downside is the lens is fixed and not interchangeable.

It got me thinking. In order to get a lens that would shoot that far, I'd need to spend way way too much green. For 350US, it's about the price of a new lens and we take it with us anytime we want to do outdoor or nature shooting. I'll post some pics up here soon. Quality is almost as good as my T4i. I believe they call these "bridge" cameras as they fill that gap between point and shoot and DSLR.

Anyway, love the idea of this OT thread. Mike, I knew you shoot great pics from the other place. I look forward to seeing what we've got over here as well.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Some shots by the ocean!

EDIT - Equipment used: Nikon D7000 50mm 1.4 prime and various lenses. These pics are downloaded from FB so very low quality.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/jazzwee/Nice%20Pics/fb4.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/jazzwee/Nice%20Pics/fb3.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/jazzwee/Nice%20Pics/fb2.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/jazzwee/Nice%20Pics/fb5.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/jazzwee/Nice%20Pics/fb1.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/jazzwee/fb6.jpg

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/bossbandbob/Facebook/RISD%20Prints/531472_501076893240807_1719056397_n.jpghttp://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/bossbandbob/Facebook/RISD%20Prints/562765_501065986575231_1457980088_n.jpghttp://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/bossbandbob/Facebook/RISD%20Prints/563931_501065909908572_1814448806_n.jpg

Lots of great shots on this thread. Not sure why mine are so small. Probably cuz I imported them from Facebook to Photobucket. too late and tired to figure it out! I wish we could do direct uploads here.

EDIT: Yeah I saved them in smaller sizes to post on Facebook. In order to get bigger ones posted here I'd have upload them from my 'puter to Photobucket resized and then post here which I don't really have time for. Anyhoo,the prints of these from when I exhibited them are from 12" to 36" wide.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I want the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake lens next, or maybe a EF 50mm f/1.8 II instead. Next, looking at a 75-300mm Telephoto Zoom and then a good Macro of some sort. It does get pricey.

You can't go wrong with the 50mm f/1.8. Silly good for the money.

My telephoto is a Tamron 70-300mm. I bought it used and I'm very happy with it. That picture of the Hawk above was taken with it, probably the one of Elton John too.

In addition to the kit 18-55mm, I have the Tamron 70-300mm, the 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I also have a few manual focus lenses which I've adapted. I'm finding good glass for $10 that only needs a $10 adapter to work.

I really want a very long lens, maybe in a year or so. Tamron has a 150-600 coming out.

If you guys haven't found it yet this site below has tons of information and images from almost every (Canon) camera and lens combination available.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Nice work, everyone. Once again, I'm humbled to be in the company of such talented artists.

+1

Yeah, this thread is turning out as cool as I had hoped. :thu:

I started out with an old Canon 35mm camera my dad gave me. It was from the 1950s or so. Unfortunately, I lost it when our old house was broken into and I don't know much about what it was. It had a fixed lens, but all the photos I took with it were clear as day. That must have been some good glass. One thing about it was that the shutters had some rust on them. When I used slow shutter speeds, they would stick open. In college, I took advantage of this to take some great photos of a lightning storm at night. Somehow, I lost those photos though.

My dad used to tell me that when he had that camera in the Marines, they would go to wherever they got film and cram as much 35mm stock into the can, and get a ton of photos on the roll. He said not all of them would come out, but he took so many photos, who cared? I guess that was a precursor to digital when you can take 100s of photos on a card. :)

Now, besides my iPhone 4 and my iPad Air (both of which do well in the right conditions), my primary camera is a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It came with two lenses, the 18-55 and a 75-300. As I mentioned, I've also purchased the 50 f/1.8.

I'll dig up some photos later. One thing I've enjoyed is taking photos at concerts. But, I find myself distracted and not listening to the music so I don't do it much. Nor have I gotten any shot as good as Mike's shot of Elton.

I am widely acknowledged as being the best at one thing in the world: that is being the worst photographer imaginable. When my children were young I was frequently investigated by the police for killing them because there were no pictures of them with heads on the kids...

That said, I'm actually proud of this photo. It was a quick grab on my Galaxy SII last October when flying in my plane at about 3000 feet, doing about 110 knots, just south of Tybee Island (Savannah) over the marshes at sunset. It's shot through the plexiglass side window on the door of the plane, which is actually starting to milk over and craze with age.

..Joe

(Edit: sorry- I didn't realize the photo was that large. I've scaled it smaller.)

http://www.joegerardi.net/Photos/Savannah_Sunset_10-11-2013_2.jpg

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.