Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It started with a pedal loop, recorded by the guitar player with an octaver. I played around it, on bass and/or piccolo bass, but our timing kept on going off. So we dropped the pedal, and decided I should play the loop as straight as possible. Good exercise in restraining myself to what is needed to make the song work.

• 3 weeks later...

Video from the first gig I did with Marigold has popped up:

Click for a looong video

If you scroll to about 00:36:50 or something, we start playing "I Will Survive". Not that this is our best performance of the evening but it's about the only time I get some "full frontal" shots :) That stage was SMALL!!!

So if you ever wondered what I look like (especially on stage) fast forward to that segment. Interestingly, I am not using the floating thumb here - always thought I did that automatically ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Hey wraub, sounds very cool! I get an old-school Metallica vibe from this, especially the bass. This your band?

I am not too fond of the vocals (but I never liked Dave Mustaine either) but they sort of come with this type of music and fit in well. I do get the feeling that they are what makes the song drag a bit - might just be me.

Love the bass line under the solo! Great sound, too. Punchy and clear without drawing too much attention. All in all, I'd definitely be head banging along and raising fists if I were in the audience :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hi, this is the first time I've posted in about 5 years. I completed a Master's Degree at the University of Tasmania where I wrote and recorded this album entirely with Tasmanian musicians. It's very bass-centric and features predominantly acoustic bass guitar over everything else. It's sort of post-minimalist prog. with jazz, rock, and other elements thrown in I guess. Thanks for listening and/or purchasing.

http://brianwroten.bandcamp.com

Hello, Mr. Zombieeater,

I listened to all of your tracks. Very nice, although I don't hear any jazz or rock in there. It sounds to me like the music the composition students were writing when I was at university working on my music major degree. That is meant to be a compliment.

Keep up the good work and stay and join in the conversations.

hey there,

I present to you 'Mirrors' from my solo album 'The Attic'.

blend of Brazilian percussion and bass tap!

greetz,Blender

Wow!

I enjoyed this clip immensely, though I'm not completely sure why.

The bass part was technically "ON" and recorded well, but not necessarily motivating. Having said that, it may be the perfect bass part for this type of composition.

The video production was outstanding! The diversity of the players and the joy they exhibited during the recording is memorable - if I had this CD in my car, the "visual representation" would stick in my mind's eye as I listened.

I hope you'll stay and contribute to this forum.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Thanks Jim!

Some truly unique and amazing things happened while working with those Batala Guys for past months on 'Mirrors'. One of the ingredients, for sure, was shared enthusiasm about working together, bringing the whole project to see the daylight.

I think some of that enthusiasm we actually managed to capture in the movie :-)

Since I wrote and was (forced to) produce the tune myself, I still hear many things in there which could have been done better, but hey, you have to start somewhere!

FYI, this is just first of my songs that I have managed to realize. There is some more to come.

The only limiting factor is time. thereforepatience!!!

You can always follow the developments via FB (Luszpinski Blender Bass Project)

As some of you may know I've been on something of a musical sabbatical for the last year or so. This was due in large part to the birth of our daughter and the realization that I just did not have the time to devote to playing with an original act anymore. That decision was bittersweet, because I genuinely loved working with Starnes & Shah during my tenure with them from 2010 - 2013.

One of the the last things I did with them was some recording for their new record, Shilling for Dreamtown. I laid down bass parts for 5 songs on the album which came out in October of last year. To be honest, I really had not listened to the record since I got some copies from the band prior to the release. The decision to quit was very tough for me, and it made listening to the record almost unthinkable for some time.

But then I saw some news about an upcoming S&S gig. It was one of their biggest shows to date with an opening slot in a theater for a nationally known act. I was genuinely excited for the girls with this news because during my tenure we had only been playing clubs, and moving to a theater stage and an opening slot was a great opportunity for them. Even though I wasn't going to be able to attend the show, it did give me the motivation to finally take a serious listen to the new record. It definitely left me very happy and optimistic for the direction of the band following my departure. So with that, here are two of those 5 cuts on the new Starnes & Shah album that I recorded in December 2012 and January 2013.

Soundcloud - Starnes & Shah - "Gatling Girl"

Soundcloud - Starnes & Shah - "24 Million"

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• 2 weeks later...