Print Thread
Page 48 of 48 1 2 46 47 48
Re: HX3 MIDI expander module [Re: hardware] #3015037 11/05/19 05:33 PM
P
pinkfloydcramer Offline
P
Originally Posted by hardware
Send specs to Jameco Electronics.
Ive got one built for power strips, very tiny wall wart, love it.

Thanks but I'm done with boutique power supplies, my $60 investment with sweetfoot only lasted 6 months at little use. I contacted them to let them know, although I see nothing about a warranty on their site. I found an extra laying around that matches the specs. (Past) time to invest in a Furman power conditioner, methinks...

On a different subject, the extra "quilty" GM voices, esp. pianos, on 3.5 are a placeholder, at best. I take that back, other than a couple useable pads, they're a travesty. Any 3.5 users with differing experience, I'd like to know, please. On the chance my unit wasn't programmed properly at the factory.

KC Island
Re: HX3 MIDI expander module [Re: TKN] #3015061 11/05/19 08:29 PM
H
hardware Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
H
I've always had SurgeX cause I use custom PC’s for live performance, I never liked the size of the original PSU, thats why I went for the tiny rack friendly.

Do you like the extra drawbars on the 3.5?

Im not interested in ROM sounds.
For 15 years Ive been using PCs w/ GSIF and ASIO.
Sounds better and is cheaper than the big ROMplers.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic
Re: HX3 MIDI expander module [Re: TKN] #3015102 11/06/19 02:58 AM
P
pinkfloydcramer Offline
P
I haven't even checked out the extra drawbars, what persuaded me to pay more for the latest version was the prospect of useable GM sounds (late adopter here, so far no computers for playing live). But I was aware, a year ago, that a detailed piano card had yet to be developed. Hoping that will still happen, at some point- but things seem to gotten pretty quiet on the HX3 front.

Re: HX3 MIDI expander module [Re: TKN] #3015210 11/07/19 05:53 PM
L
LX88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
L
Nice to see some HX3 discussion again.

I have been using an interesting controller. It is a Casio CTK496...one of the cheaper Casios.

The thing that's neat about the CTK496 is that it has a MIC INPUT. This means I don't need an external amp to practice with headphones.

Also, the CTK496 has a nice keybed feel. It is way better than the Mojo/ KeyB/ Nord etc.

I finally also found somewhat of a remedy for what I consider to be squirelly chorus vibrato in the upper octave around A/Bb/ B/ C. I am turning the internal tone trim pot down to almost nothing and letting the playback amp take over. It sounds much smoother.

The HX3 is pretty much my go to practice clonewheel, because I like the controller options much better than the Fatar keybed most clonewheels use.

Re: HX3 MIDI expander module [Re: LX88] #3015246 11/07/19 09:25 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by LX88
the CTK496 has a nice keybed feel. It is way better than the Mojo/ KeyB/ Nord etc.

big praise here.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Page 48 of 48 1 2 46 47 48

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner