Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

I don't think it's shipped yet, but someone here recently installed their retro kit in a Hammond XB2.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nice find! I've been very interested in the Hoax engine. The DIY version has been available for some time, bit this is of course much more practicle for most players. I think I just got some GAS! This, a Vent or Burn and a keyboard with drawbars, or midi drawbar controller - done!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Would it work with a Suzuki or Mojo? I dislike the HOAX acronym very much, esp in light of the hoaxes we have been subjected to.. I won't go there with specifics.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The HX3 shure sounds great on the YouTube videos!

HX3 sounds good.

AFAIK, the leslie-sim is mono actually,- so you´d need another device for stereo-leslie.

It´s by reason they ran out of ressources w/ their DSP/FPGA concept, it seems.

The module you see on the website is actually a prototype of the case and it will be not the last product,- there will come the assembled module w/ drawbars and whatever features (buttons?) too and for a higher price.

No idea if this will be a new module, or engine and drawbars in separate units like the H/S rackmount.

The module as you see it on the website is fully controllable over MIDI and there are "hidden" parameters you can adjust via the frontpanel controls.

For the H/S XB2, the keyboard isn´t connected via MIDI.

There are 2 options though,- MIDI connection or direct connection using different scan boards.

With the XB2, the hidden parameters cannot be controlled in realtime.

A.C.

There are also prebuilt single and dual manual organs with HOAX engines available from Bas Systems:

http://goo.gl/0UVZh1

Now, there is a rumor circulating in a tonewheel mailing list:

BAS Systems produce a modified version of HOAX that is compatible with an optical scanning keyboard (I believe it is Fatar with an additional sensor board) that is able to do progressive key depression and therefore simulate the 9 individual contacts of the real thing.

Now, I wouldn't take this rumor as the truth, but if it's correct it would really be a big deal! It seems a bit unlikely that Fatar is building this keyboard. I have never heard of this keyboard type before and Fatar doesn't seem like the most flexible manufacturer... but I could of course be wrong. There is no info abouth this keyboard in the Bas-Systems site either, so it's hard to know if these organs have it built in, or if it's an optional feature.

Sorry - there is actually this info text for the dual manual clone:

Virtual key contacts will give you the feel of closing individual contacts and thereby an unparalleled, vibrant Keyclick. Twice nine DRAWBARS leave nothing to be desired, as well as the two manuals with waterfall keyboards and preset buttons.

Again, this is Google-translated from German, so this is of course a possible source of error, but then again, if true - very interesting!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

For the H/S XB2, the keyboard isn´t connected via MIDI.

There are 2 options though,- MIDI connection or direct connection using different scan boards.

With the XB2, the hidden parameters cannot be controlled in realtime.

A.C.

I have HX3 iside a XB2 and the specific XB-2 scan boards (scan-platinen) are custommade so all the internal wiring/connectors of the XB-2 perfectly fit on the these new scan boards.Very clever indeed !

The good part is that everything hardware from the XB-2 (drawbars, knobs, 11 pin output and other controls) functions smoothly, albite with some minor alterings. A new function label is also delivered to attache on the XB-2 chassis.

And althaugh the XB-2 certainly does not play as smooth as an XK3c it is a pleasure to play and CONTROL from its own surface without any latency whatsoever.

A surpise discovery for me was that the XB-2 (compared to all ''fatars'' in the latest clones)has real drawbars instaed of faders.

The HX3 shure sounds great on the YouTube videos!

.... and sounds even better in real !

I did build my own expander (looks like the one on the homepage, just ordered the displaypanel to expand my expander...) and retrofitted an old XB2 (used as sound engine and lower manual for my XK3c)

It really sounds fantastic !

(The leslie sim is mono and quite good but I use the ventilator or a real leslie anyway.)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

http://s28.postimg.org/ngbgk04yl/Expander.jpg

This is what the expander will look like, they told me shipping starts next week.

This is cool !

Now it would be great we´ll see a remote controller unit w/ drawbars and (if possible,-ergonomically positioned) "easy-access-switches" for percussion and C/V.

I hope we can control overdrive-amount of the HX3 expander via mod-wheel.

OT.:

Now I wonder how the NEO Ventilator Pro will look like,- maybe half-rack dimensions too ?

A.C.

Now it would be great we´ll see a remote controller unit w/ drawbars

I would expect that the Ocean Beach DB-1 would work. Also probably the Ferrofish B4000+.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

A surpise discovery for me was that the XB-2 (compared to all ''fatars'' in the latest clones)has real drawbars instaed of faders.

Yes, I think the SK1/SK2 was the first board (from anyone) to use the "simulated" drawbars, which helped reduce cost and size.

I am curious about the HOAX, and how it compares to what most people think is best, the Mojo/Hamichord. I wonder if anyone has actually played both. In mono, you could compare them directly; in stereo you'd have to add a Vent (or Burn perhaps) to the HOAX. One apparent advantage of the Mojo is that it has the 20 different Hammond model emulations built in (and the ability to create your own variation).

I would expect that the Ocean Beach DB-1 would work. Also probably the Ferrofish B4000+.

Yes, but there´s rumour keyboardpartner comes w/ a follow up expander incl. drawbars or the remote controller for THIS expander.

You´ll find that "announcement" in the german text of their webiste only and it speaks from "different models" of the expander.

It is since they have found the drawbars and circuit board kits in Taiwan, which are offered in the shop now too.

So, if you already own a keyboard controller w/ drawbars,- the actual expander is for you,- but if you don´t, it´s probably worth the wait for the next announcements.

A.C.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

• 1 month later...
A little thread resurrection here. Has anyone purchased the expander module? I was thinking it might be a good combo with an Electro 3 for quick gigs and would greatly improve the organ sound of the Electro.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Hi Mitch,

I use the HX3 Expander.

Indeed it would improve the electro organ sound (and your mojo too ;-))

But:

Nord is using different MIDI CC for the drawbars.

Carsten added a new CC set for the Nord C2 today. It won't work with the Stage.

i just checked the pdf manuals of the Electro 3, C2 and Stage.

It seems that the Midi CC set for the C2 will work with the Electro 3 only for the upper drawbars.

I think the hamicord CC set will work with your Mojo.

All the different drawbar midi send chaos is driving Carsten mad!

There should be a Drawbar MIDI send standard !!!

edti:

you can check the midi implementation here (excel file):

https://raw.github.com/heise/HOAX/master/DOCS_PDF/HOAX3_MIDI.xls

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone (as in at least either of the two known HX3 owners on the board!) had the opportunity to compare how the HX3 plays via direct-connect (as when installed in and played from the XB2) versus over MIDI? Is there any difference in latency? In responsiveness/sound when doing fast big smears?

Also, has anyone been able to compare its sound to the newest Mojo/Hamichord (downloadable update from a couple of weeks ago)?

Hi,

I don't feel any noticable difference playing my XB2-HX3 or my HX3-Expander via the SK2.

I prefer playing the SK2/HX3-Expander combi. Don't like the XB2 keybed that much...

The HX3 engine itsself has unlimited polyphonie and is defacto zero-latency (parallel algorithms running on hardware FPGA).

Big smears and lightning fast licks without any problems. Never got stucked notes....

Never seen or heard a Mojo in real so I can't compare. I have the VB3 1.4 software on my PC but prefer the sound of the HX3 by far. The HX3 Engine tops the SK2 Engine also.

Anyway, great sounding options out there nowadays....

Working on a SK2/HX3/KronosCX3/Vent comparison, hope I get it finished anytime soon......(too busy day-job)

I'm about to order a HX3 kit for my XB-2.

Bought a defective XB-2 this week, it is in great shape, except for the defect chip.

I cannot find that much detail on the HX3 site. I can't even find a detailed manual. I need more information about the midi-out implementation (can you use as a midi-controller), does the organ-solo button still work?

I would like to hear more demos!

Not from the company themselves.

Are there any others using the HX3 in a XB2? Please let me know.

It sounds great on the youtube movies, but how is it in real life/live?

It is quite some money to spend...

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

hi erik_nie,

there is no written manual. you can find infos on the hx3 wiki page. most pages are in german....

the solo button switches between the upper and lower registration after installation (user instruction in german):

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=Bedienungshinweise#XB2-Nachr.C3.BCstsatz

installation instruction in english:

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=Installation_XB2-Kit

some more infos in english:

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_Board_User_Manual

hx3 forum for discussions (with the developer and other users):

http://forum.keyboardpartner.de/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=82518a17610d975eb4669f6024745a9e

sound: great....

;-)

ciao,

I had the HOAX board and now the HX3 expander.

it sounds really good, according to my rock tastes :-)

overdrive is probably the best simulation of a tube preamp around (I can compare with other digital clones I usually play).

unfortunately the leslie sim (that is great, anyway) is mono.

in the new expander you can enter a simple menu and edit a number of parameters (with the board this was not possible).

there are some videos of mine on the tube, with HOAX board.

during next weeks my hammond C3 will be at the doctor for a check, so I'll have time to make some new videos using some different digital clonewheels including the HX3 :-)

take care