Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

A bit off topic, but I got a leslie pre amp for my 147 and fired it up yesterday with my Sk2, WOW, what a difference this keyboard sounds going through a real leslie ! I have only had the sk for a cpl of weeks and havnt had time to do many tweaks, but I really was a tad bit disappointed in its overall sound with the internal sim. But wow, Ive completely changed my opinion now. Dial in the OD at about 3, slight reverb , and this thing sounds almost or even better than my A100 . The only thing, when Im switching from fast to slow, the pre amp makes a pretty noticeable click through the leslie , any thing I should look at ? Also, I want to start tweaking the tonewheels on the Sk, to try and get the "digital" sound a bit warmer, I know JIM has a tonewheel set, but that's for the xk3c, whats been done for the Sk?

Aussie: Sorry if someone has already answered this, but you can swap out the relay in your 147 tube amp with a solid state unit and that should kill the noise.

I was using the Leslie preamp pedal with my 145 and I rebuilt the amp completely and also added the SS relay and that worked for me.

Paul

SoulshotDoc, the effect you are hearing is built into the sample itself. You can't edit it.

Is that also the case with the EPs and clavs?

Ex) I think one of the overdrive EPs has another affect that is adjustable by the Extra voice effect knob. So is the overdrive just built in to the sample?

Overdrive is separate from the Effect in the EVs like it is in the organ section. EV Overdrive doesn't have a manual control on the panel but it can be set in the Patch menu. Pg. 92 & 99 #'s 12 - 15.

The patch mentioned above has an effect set for the EV but it is turned off. I don't think I've ever changed it and in mine U093 it is set for Delay.

Also. the patch EV responds to Mod wheel and Pitch Bend input if MIDI in is set to EXVOICE. Mod wheel adds Modulation to the whole sound but doesn't change the downward sweep of the high frequencies in the Funny Lead EV.

The XK-1c Manual is available here:

http://hammondorganco.com/support/downloads/owners-manual/

A couple of things I noticed during a quick look through it:

8 Favorites buttons with 64 User and 64 Preset Patches

A new Mix parameter available in the C/V settings:

" MIX

Sets Mix balance of the Chorus effect (C1 / C2 / C3).

The setting range is D64 (only the Direct tone, no vibrato tone) - EVEN - 63V (only the

Vibrato tone, no direct tone)"

The Pedal tones can be either sent through the C/V - tied in with the LM or bypass the C/V. A note from the manual:

"On the vintage B-3/C-3, the Vibrato and Chorus affects not only Lower part but also the Pedal part via [LOWER] (on the B-3, GREAT)

tablet by the circuit structure. It is divided on later models.

This parameter simulates that."

The digital Leslie has a new parameter: Coloration

"COLORATION(L):

Switches On/Off the coloration of the speaker enclosure."

This probably is cabinet resonance.

Hammond also now has shirts, hats and other stuff available for sale although it looks like orders are being taken until early December and then will be shipped mid-December.

http://www.ptxstore.com/hammond/

So, reading the last few threads, I am wondering what most of you guys are running as amps for the sk / xk ? Im at a point soon where I am going to have to get something going as some gigs are starting to come up. For me, its about sound and portability, as much as I would love a 3300 leslie, I cant transport it or my 147. Im tossing up between leslie 2101mk2, leslie 12, motion sound 145, MS pro3s, vent to ? (qsc K10 maybe) just run int sim to FOH ? ( or K10 ) I play both organ and EV sounds in funk / bluesy / rock covers.

Is there a thread on this specific topic ?

what did you end up doing? results?

I run mono thru a vent into a 28lb Acoustic Image Ten2... and on to FOH...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

A bit off topic, but I got a leslie pre amp for my 147 and fired it up yesterday with my Sk2, WOW, what a difference this keyboard sounds going through a real leslie ! I have only had the sk for a cpl of weeks and havnt had time to do many tweaks, but I really was a tad bit disappointed in its overall sound with the internal sim. But wow, Ive completely changed my opinion now. Dial in the OD at about 3, slight reverb , and this thing sounds almost or even better than my A100 . The only thing, when Im switching from fast to slow, the pre amp makes a pretty noticeable click through the leslie , any thing I should look at ? Also, I want to start tweaking the tonewheels on the Sk, to try and get the "digital" sound a bit warmer, I know JIM has a tonewheel set, but that's for the xk3c, whats been done for the Sk?

Aussie: Sorry if someone has already answered this, but you can swap out the relay in your 147 tube amp with a solid state unit and that should kill the noise.

I was using the Leslie preamp pedal with my 145 and I rebuilt the amp completely and also added the SS relay and that worked for me.

Paul

Thanks Paul, what I think it is is I did a cap replacement in that 147's amp last week, but I didn't do the 2 caps across the motor circuits. The amp is quiet as a mouse right now, no pops or hums, but I think I need to do those 2 caps. My priority right now is to find out why tone 55 on my A105 is not working...

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Hi. Is the Hammond CU-1 half-moon physically compatible with the SK-1? I know it's good electrically, but I was wondering if anyone has mounted it to their SK-1 yet.

Thank you.

It will work , but you would have to come up with a way of mounting it , maybe Velcro or something. It comes with 2 screws that attach to holes in the Xk3 or Sk2. I personally think you would be better off with a foot pedal for switching, the CU1 might get in the way of your playing on an Sk1

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 2 weeks later...

How to turn up the volume of the leslie, leakage and tremolo on sk1?

Hi, i own a roland vr760' vr09, ne3 and sk1. First organ i used in a rock band was vr760. Managed to get a sound that everyone was happy with. Than i got vr09 and i had to match vr760 sound to vr09. I got close and everyone was happy. Now im using the sk1 and again they want me to copy the sounds from the roland boards. So im just trying to do that and realising its harder than it was with the vr09. But also i dont actually think the sk1 is better. Its just different. In fact i cant get the sk1 to sound like the vr09 which bothers me a bit.

The leslie on the vr09 is much louder than on the sk1. Can i turn up the volume of the sk1 leslie? Its not giving me that swelling sound or volume i get from the vr09. Also can i turn up the volume of the tremolo in the sk1?

I must say im surprised that the sk1 sounds only different to the roland boards but not better or worse.

The ne3 sounds rubbish comparison.

"Can i turn up the volume of the sk1 leslie?"

You can turn up the volume of either horn just about as loud as you want. As well as tons of other leslie parameters. Mic angle and distance will make a huge difference.

" Also can i turn up the volume of the tremolo in the sk1?"

You can inc/dec the level of rate/depth and choose the "wave" you want.

• 2 weeks later...

There was discussion in the past about a noise issue coming from the EV piano sounds on the sk-1.

I just played a gig where the volume got real loud and I noticed that I was hearing a ringing reverb type noise coming from my piano sounds.

They were not as clean as they usually sounded. I tried turning the treble down and made sure that the reverb was off but I still got the ringing sounds. is this the noise that others were talking about? is there something I can do about it?

IIRC the noise some could hear was a white noise type sound that didn't fade out when the piano note did. Make sure you have the latest update installed and if yours has an old OS version installed, also install the system libraries. If you copy all the system files to the USB drive it should do so automatically.

been loving my sk1 - preparing to upload some of the new library sounds - however am unable to access the library through the menu on the sk1 -

I go to screen E and get LIBRARY to flash - yet when I then click the enter button, nothing happens -

any ideas?

thanks!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

Have you formatted a USB drive in your SK-1 and copied the EV libraries you want to load into the SK-1 to the Library folder on the USB drive? If you haven't loaded any EV libraries in the past there probably aren't any in it now since only the System libraries are installed at the factory or during OS updates.

Without a USB drive connected to my SK-1 the menu doesn't show any load options. I didn't delete the libraries I've already installed to test this but I suspect if there aren't any installed in yours the menu for deleting them doesn't show up either.

So I suspect you don't have any libraries installed (other than the System libraries) and if you have any on a USB drive they aren't in the right directory.

yes - formatted the drive and copied the ev libraries into the lib folder on the usb drive -

I also note that the owners manual shows that files show up once you click enter while the LIBRARY selection is flashing - but nothing happens...

all my other flashing selection options take me into their files once I click enter...

called Hammond USA today, they were going to call back, but never heard back...

Received my SK1 yesterday......Crossposting this question, also posted to the HS clone Yahoo list. My money is on this forum, though. :)

I am trying to set up 2 configurations - the easy one first:

Yamaha CP4 on bottom, SK1 on top.

Have it set up to play correctly - works (and sounds great) - can change SK1 programs from the CP4 - all good.

What I can't get is using the Foot pedal plugged into the Yamaha to control expression on the Hammond. I tried setting the EXP control to "Midi" - tried sending on midi channel 1 which the Hammond by defalut is looking for. Though I have the midi input set to lower - tried messing with that just to see, nothing worked.

I know that the pedal is sending CC info - checked it in Mainstage. I also tried changing the CC# transmitted from 11, to 7, to 4. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Expression pedal workds fine when plugged directly into the SK1.

I will also want to change Leslie speed with a footswitch on the CP4, though I have not tried that yet.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I'm not sure what the problem is. You've gone about it the right way. EXP control to MIDI. The CP4 does need to be set to CC #11, the SK1 does not recognize CC #7 or #4.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I have it sussed out correctly. Maybe I messed myself up with multiple variables without realizing it. I will retrace my steps tonight.

Also - for my "bigger" rig, is there a way to pass on the midi input of the lower keyboard to mainstage without sounding anything on a per patch basis? Could probably work around by setting up a silent EV patch, I guess.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Just to rule this out, did you unzip the library files and copy the *.SYS file to the lib folder?

Do you have another USB drive to try? Do you have the most recent OS update installed?

thanks for your quick replies and help with this - really appreciated!!

the .sys library files appear to download unzipped to my MacBook Pro and I then copied them into the lib folder on the sk1 formatted 16gig sandisk...

operating system is 1.513 which I believe correlates with update 7, apparently the most recent...

just got off the phone with the legendary Scott May himself, although I did not realize that until I received his email - thank you Scott!! - with the following link on how to do this -

my mistake was that I had dropped the entire library voice (LibVL) folders into the lib folder on the usb drive - as opposed to just the .sys library file... (the video clip refers to .lib files, but I think they are referring to the .sys files in the LibVL folders, as there are no .lib files to be found...)

at any rate I have now successfully uploaded my first library voice file - the voices work and are readable in the library mode display along with used/remaining space...

thanks again to all!!

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I have it sussed out correctly. Maybe I messed myself up with multiple variables without realizing it. I will retrace my steps tonight.

Also - for my "bigger" rig, is there a way to pass on the midi input of the lower keyboard to mainstage without sounding anything on a per patch basis? Could probably work around by setting up a silent EV patch, I guess.

I posted this earlier in the XK-3 group but might as well have the reply in both places:

MIDI In has to be set to either Upper or Upper + Pedal for the Expression to work via MIDI. I have mine set so that the SK-1's keyboard plays the EVs or the lower manual while the XK-System's lower manual upper octaves play the SK-1's upper manual. This way I can have Percussion along with an Extra Voice when I want it.

I think the foot switch can be routed through to the SK but I'm not sure how to set it up. I'm pretty sure I've had the EXP-100N's switch change both instruments but it caused some confusion in the Leslies. So I stopped it. I'll try to figure out how I did it and post later.

Edit:

To get the kick switch on the EXP-100N to control the SK-1's Leslie (digital or connected) I had to turn NRPN on in both the XK-3c and SK-1. This also has most of the other features/buttons in the XK-3c turn things on/off in the SK-1.

Thanks!!!

Have the expression pedal working under the 3KBD template, which on the SK1 is Lower/Pedal.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to disable the SK1 from receiving program change info.......

Thanks!!!

Have the expression pedal working under the 3KBD template, which on the SK1 is Lower/Pedal.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to disable the SK1 from receiving program change info.......

I learn something new every day. I tried the 3KBD Template and it works for Expression.

I think I started using Upper when it was added in Rel. 6 with Basic selected but I changed a number of parameters. MIDI In is set to Upper. NRPN, Program Change and Drawbar Reg. are all off. I wanted to have part of my lower manual play the SK Upper Manual so I had to make some adjustments.

Before that I had the split point set at the highest C and switched back and forth by hitting the split button. But this had the upper manual played by the SK-1. The new parameter enabled me to get what I wanted.

I could get the kick switch to control the Leslie by turning NRPN on in both instruments. Unfortunately pressing the C/V buttons on the '3c also changed Leslie speeds on the SK-1.

• 1 month later...

Tip: Not sure if there are any Deep Purple/Jon Lord fans here, lol...

But after finding out that my SK-1 has a ring modulator, I poked around. The "ring heaven" patch is, of course, more of a novelty/demo patch...and it's mod source is an LFO...*yawn*..."wooop, woooop".

But entering into the effects, and changing the "SRC" from LFO (low frequency oscillator) to "NOTE" (or EXP: I grabbed an FC-7 today, love it!), and then tweaking the effect level/mix and frequency, and adding some pan delay and overdrive, yields the crazy lead organ sound from "Hard Lovin' Man", from 1970's "In Rock"...

I have been trying for 30 years to get this sound!

The more I teak, the more I love this organ. I have a VK-8M which comes close, and has the "I-beam controller" which can modify the ring modulator, but there has never really been a way to hold it steady enough. And it's a pretty 'masty" ring mod - which is cool...but the SK-1 is spitting up some great sounds with this effect....more musically useful/tweakable

If you play hard rock, and have trouble cutting through the guitar sound during heavy organ solos - add a little bit of ring mod, lmao...

John Lord had one that sat atop his '58 C3.

I have the 58 C3, lol...but the SK-1 has given me the sound!

Here's is Lord on the original recording; the original "ring mod organ" player - and, as far as I know, the sole reason that all these clones have that effect.