Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

I see a thread like this in the Bass forum. Figured we needed one here.

Scientific Monkey on Soundcloud does really great Future Soul podcasts.

https://soundcloud.com/scientific_monkey/futurism-nu-soul-hip-hop-2

What are you listening to right now?

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had moments in my life when I think Elton John's Levon is just about the best song ever written, and I'm in another one of those moments, so over the past week or so I've been listening to as many versions of him playing Levon that I can find.

I love this one (man he was such a good singer before he had the vocal chord problems) -

• Like 1

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I haven't listened to much music lately. Kinda tired of everything.

In the car, I generally either listen to talk radio or nothing at all.

I used to spend hours sitting and listening to music at home. (Of course, I was single then, had a lot more free time).

I used to love Radio Paradise. Listened to it all day every day at work, when I had a coworker who shared similar musical taste. Some people can't "handle" it. I know that sounds arrogant, but for some people, if it ain't overplayed classic rock, it sucks. I loved Radio Paradise; I have heard and purchased so much different music because of that station.

Now, at work, when my current coworker leaves for the day, and I get to shut off the classic rock, the silence is nice. I can still hear a little of the "house" music from the other room. The ceiling speaker in my office has a volume dial, so I keep it turned off.

Man, this is sounding really depressing. Sorry to be a downer. I'm just kinda tired of music right now.

Stuff and things.

Man, this is sounding really depressing. Sorry to be a downer. I'm just kinda tired of music right now.

Sounds like you just need to find something that excites you again. Give it time.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I see a thread like this in the Bass forum. Figured we needed one here.

Scientific Monkey on Soundcloud does really great Future Soul podcasts.

https://soundcloud.com/scientific_monkey/futurism-nu-soul-hip-hop-2

What are you listening to right now?

some guy named Jim Alfredson put a jazz CD out recently. that's what's in the CD player of my van currently :cool:

:nopity:

I'm flopping back and forth between Genesis Live and Seconds Out...prepping for a show in December!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Kind of sad, but I generally only listen to the songs that I happen to be learning for the cover band(s) at any given time. So currently:

Zombies - "She's Not There"

Mama's and Papas - "California Dreamin"

Jimi Hendrix - "Fire"

Led Zepplin - "Good Times, Bad Times"

The Grass Roots - "Midnight Confessions"

(we're working building our 60's set)

After practice Thursday, that'll change.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Percy Hill - Color in Bloom (thank you forum !!!)

new Deep Pruple (Now What ?!) !! - surprisingly good even w/o Jon (RIP buddy)

all my YES albums (ok, maybe not Union)

Transatlantic - smpte

Van Morrison - Live in San Fransico (all time fav !!)

Miles Davis - Blue

LOST - soundtrack season 4

Headeast "never been any reason" (band is doing it !! yeah, get to play some synth)

Guess Who - Live at the Paramount

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Listening to a lot of Gospel tracks, since I'm working on my annual Gospel/Symphony orchestrations. Kirk Franklin is quite an amazing musician and writer, this one is going to sound great with a full symphony:

That song is the 2012-2013 gospel equivalent of what Adele's "Someone Like You" was to 2011-2012 pop...meaning I've heard it waaayyy more times than I'd listen to any one song by choice! Don't get me wrong. That's not a criticism. Quite the opposite. It's a modern classic :thu: But as a--hack of a--church musician, I've heard enough singers cover this song (and seen enough praise dancers interpret it...) in my travels to last a lifetime :laugh:

And you're right, it should be absolutely sublime with a full orchestra! If this annual event is something you guys record, please share. I'd love to check it out.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

- The latest Neko Case - which I really like

- The latest Daft Punk - which I'm trying to like

- lots of Joni in honor of her birthday a couple weeks ago.

- This video of Lake Street Dive covering the Jackson 5 on a Boston sidewalk:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Listening to a lot of Gospel tracks, since I'm working on my annual Gospel/Symphony orchestrations. Kirk Franklin is quite an amazing musician and writer, this one is going to sound great with a full symphony:

That song is the 2012-2013 gospel equivalent of what Adele's "Someone Like You" was to 2011-2012 pop...meaning I've heard it waaayyy more times than I'd listen to any one song by choice! Don't get me wrong. That's not a criticism. Quite the opposite. It's a modern classic :thu: But as a--hack of a--church musician, I've heard enough singers cover this song (and seen enough praise dancers interpret it...) in my travels to last a lifetime :laugh:

Interesting. I've never heard it before as I don't really follow Gospel except for this project, so I don't know which ones are the "hits" or not. Here's another one, I'm assuming it's very popular as I see a ton of versions on Youtube:

[video:youtube]

As for me, I've been listening to this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2pr8hhf.jpg

It's what I've come to expect from Glasper, with his distinctive blend of jazz, neo-soul and hip-hop. Time will tell if I'll give it as many spins as the 1st Black Radio project, but it's certainly in the same ball-park sonically (btw: where's Chris Dave? maybe just too busy to commit to another project so soon?). Think I'm ready for another Robert Glasper Trio project, or some other more acoustic-leaning stuff though.

...and I've also checked this out within the last month or so...

http://www.bet.com/music/photos/2013/09/the-rundown-janelle-monae-electric-lady/_jcr_content/leftcol/flipbook/flipbookimage.flipfeature.dimg/090613-music-rundown-janelle-monae-the-electric-lady-album.jpg

First Jonelle Monae cd I've bought. I find it a lot easier to support young artists who are unique and seem to take the artistry of what they're doing seriously, even if it may not be a style or genre I'd normally listen to. While I think Monae still has room to grow vocally--don't get me wrong, she's got the pipes and range to spare, but I think her instrument will get even more polish, confidence and maturity as she develops as an artist--I'd say the production, creativity, energy and sincerity of this album more than makes up for it! And I hear her live shows are spectacular.

...and of course I always keep my full catalog of Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Bill Evans, George Duke, various gospel etc. close at hand.

--Sean H.

Interesting. I've never heard it before as I don't really follow Gospel except for this project, so I don't know which ones are the "hits" or not. Here's another one, I'm assuming it's very popular as I see a ton of versions on Youtube:

Yeah, that's definitely a hit (I believe my church's Mass Choir did that one for our Easter service), though not to the degree of "Take Me To The King." In general, the ensemble/praise and worship/Kirk Franklin (at least the stuff he's done over the last 10 years or so) style of music has overtaken traditional choir stuff like the Malcolm Williams song in terms of prominence in black gospel. That's probably overgeneralizing it a bit, but that's been the trend over the last decade or so, at least to my eyes/ears.

--Sean H.

Pick up the pieces - AWB

Wow, Average White Band! Haven't thought about them in 20 years. A real blast from the past.

ATM, I'm listening to a couple of Aynsley Lister albums. For those not in the know, he's a blues guitarist.

Also, Rock-It Science, by Craig MacDonald's (he of this forum) old band.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!